PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest TV Sci Fi Crimes...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-09-2005, 17:38
Essentially, a self compiling list of the worst things to happen to TV Sci Fi shows.

My entry?

Space, Above and Beyond being cancelled after just one season. At the end of it, the main characters fates were left incredibly ambiguous. A fantastic cliff hanger, but a real **** of a way to leave fans when it gets cancelled for no apparent reason!

So, next!

Cade
14-09-2005, 18:04
Red Dwarf becoming rather diluted and lame in the latter series'.
It became less and less original and exciting.
Basically it was as soon asthey lost the Red Dwarf itself and spent two series onboard the Starbug.
Crime against comedy.

I totally agree about Space: Above and Beyond.
It had such a great future. Fantastic plot, great action and solid characters.

Doctor Who being off-screen for nearly a decade (or was it more than a decade?).
Shame on you, BBC!!!
But congrats for the new series. Awesome stuff.

lord_fenric
14-09-2005, 18:05
The way channel four messed around with the time slots for Babylon 5, especially the later series.

First it was on late, around nine, then really late, say eleven. The it got silly being on past midnight.

Then they stopped showing it mid season.

Then they put it on sunday morning in a kids show a few months later.

I mean :wtf: were they doing.

Kiro
14-09-2005, 18:10
The cancellation of Enterprise. Say what you like about the show, but I wanted to see the Romulan Wars. The final episode...well, I'm lost for words...

Griefbringer
14-09-2005, 18:24
Babylon 5: Excalibur TV-series was a conceptual fiasco to begin with - it felt like a Star Trek in B5 universe, but unfortunately lacking the good sides of either of those.

I don't really miss it, having seen all the ten episodes or so that were made. Wondering why they even bothered spoiling the good name of B5 with such mediocrity.

Yodhrin
14-09-2005, 18:30
The cancellation of Firefly by Fox due to poor viewing figures....after they didnt give it the same spot for two weeks running and ran the episodes out of sequence! :mad:

x-esiv-4c
14-09-2005, 18:34
Early cancellation of Space: Above and Beyond.
It was brilliant.

lord_blackfang
14-09-2005, 18:38
The Stargate team going on hiatus after this week's episode! :mad:

Ouroboros
14-09-2005, 18:43
Firefly being canned after fox refused to treat it right and then whined about how it wasn't doing well.

Farscape being canned in the middle of a season ending cliffhanger then being ressurected into a braindead shoot-em-up miniseries.

Both of the above happening in the same universe where Andromeda was allowed to run for 5 years.

Son of Morkai
14-09-2005, 18:47
The cancellation of Firefly by Fox due to poor viewing figures....after they didnt give it the same spot for two weeks running and ran the episodes out of sequence! :mad:
Quoting so I don't have to type it out myself...

EDIT - Though I also feel I should mention Space Hulk - what Exile Films originally wanted to do - getting turned down by GW.

Ravening Wh0re
14-09-2005, 19:02
Early cancellation of Space: Above and Beyond.
It was brilliant.

Agreed.
Huh, and from the other Enterprise thread I got the impression that not many liked it......

Bubble Ghost
14-09-2005, 19:49
I'm not sure about Space: Above and Beyond. It was OK, but for every thoughtful exploration of racial hatred or every great action sequence, there was a shmaltzy "love and teamwork" plot that induced gagging, and the characters weren't hugely believable either. It was a worthwhile TV curio but I'm not sure that it could have kept up much momentum. Good theme tune though.

My worst one would be BBC2, from the era a few years ago when, one or two days a week, they used to run a couple of Simpons repeats at 6:00 followed by some fantasy show or other at 6:45. The infuriating thing was that it was always the new fantasy shows rather than the Simpsons repeats that lost out to obscure tennis or snooker highlights, meaning it would end up taking about a year to screen a 20-odd episode series. Programs falling victim to this included Buffy the Vampire Slayer - one of the most critically acclaimed shows of recent years - seemingly because of nothing but genre stereotyping. Star Trek I can live without, but losing Farscape for a week rather than a Simpsons episode that me and the rest of the country had already seen 14 times used to really do my head in.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-09-2005, 20:23
Indeed, the Beeb are extremely bad at running any series that I enjoy. Hell, even Red Dwarf, which I agree has gotten really crappy, gets interrupted, and postponed and shifted around. Why they can't just put something on then leave it I don't know!

Same goes with Channel 4. When Cade and I first got into Babylon 5 (end of 2nd season I think, when Sheridan is saved by Koshh) it was on Channel 4 *around* teatime. Then it kept getting shunted around the schedules.

Oh, and another TV SciFi crime..... the British SciFi Channel. What a load of rubbish! Barely anything worth watching, and they constantly show the same films! Gaah!

KingNic
14-09-2005, 20:45
Stargate SG1 Season 9. :(

Instead of going out with a bang and calling it a day, perhaps making a spin-off series with the characters that WANT to stay on, they ruin it. They've lost pretty much every decent character they had going (Daniel's still awesome, but Carter and Teal'c are just cardboard cutouts now :(). Urgh.

I would be very surprised if it reached series 10 if it doesn't start to SERIOUSLY pick up it's socks this season. Unless I start to hear amazing things about it, I'm finished with Stargate, and I know plenty of others are finished as well.

Baggers
14-09-2005, 20:48
Doctor Who being off-screen for nearly a decade (or was it more than a decade?).
Shame on you, BBC!!!
But congrats for the new series. Awesome stuff.

It was 16 years mate, and which I do not know call a crime but pure geneis as it has reinvented into something even better.

Anything carrying the two words Star Trek, are crimes agaisnt humanity.

oh and Space Precint if you remember that one

oh and Star Trek

and did i mention Star Trek

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-09-2005, 20:49
Well, please don't mention anything which hasn't hit British shores yet. If anyone mentions actual plots for Seasons 9 2 and 2 for SG1, Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica, I will Jay and SIlent Bob your ass....

Oh, and speaking of BSG.....BSG 80....when they found earth. And it was the 80s. And Lorne Green was dead.

HYUK!

StugMeister
14-09-2005, 21:02
The cancellation of S:A&B was so bad - i loved that show. I thought it had great effects, some great storylines and I thought the characters were great too.

Archaon
14-09-2005, 21:18
The worst of all... 7 loooong years of Star Trek Voyager.

Never have i seen such a mediocre show.. until Enterprise came along

Let's see.. what else. Firefly has been mentioned, Space Above and Beyond too.. I guess that these are my most obvious ones.. 2 great shows cancelled while pure crap like the two shows above get multiple seasons.

lord_fenric
14-09-2005, 22:18

Until this point in my life i'd managed to repress the memory of that utterly aweful show.....

I hate you ;)

Kiro
14-09-2005, 22:30

Baggers, I can stomach your Trek bashing to a degree, but this.....this is just a lowblow. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Bmaxwell
14-09-2005, 22:53
I wanted to wacth firefly when it came out then i missed it and it was gone. when i finally saw it on sci-fi channel i was amazed what i good show to bad it got cancled so soon how many episodes where made?

and how many acauttly where seen when it orgianly aired?

Leviathan
14-09-2005, 22:56
Hello,

Lmao- space precint!
I remember that- it was terrible

Other offenders of note include:

> Any episode of TNG where Whesley Crusher does anything significant.

> Kajanskey :cries:

> Medicloreans :cries: :cries:

> Starship Troopers 2 *shudder*

> Star Trek: Nemesis *cringe*

> 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' -Darth Vader 'SW: Episode 3*

> 'Esign Nobodys' eg: Ensign Kim/ Ensign Maywheather

These few, however, are only small offences when compaired to the crime against humanity that is:

"The Star Wars Christmas Special"

:eek:

Kohhna
14-09-2005, 23:00
Axe-ing firefly was probably the single greatest crime - closely followed by Futurama. The axing of S:AaB wasn't the worst thing imaginable, it was pretty dire sometimes though it did get better towards the end.

Kiro
14-09-2005, 23:05
Futurama was axed? I thought the Groening and co. decided to end it before it became stale...

Xhalax
14-09-2005, 23:23
Farscape being canned in the middle of a season ending cliffhanger then being ressurected into a braindead shoot-em-up miniseries.

I was utterly devestated when I heard that Farscape was going to be cancelled. And the fact it was cancelled mis-season showed as Season 4 was the weakest of the lot coz it was just TOO werird/crazy.....eeven for Farscape.
but the cliff-hanger at the end had be storming around the house in rage whanting to kno what happnen next and wondering how they could leave it like that....just like i did with every other season of Farscape I watched.
And although i did enjoy The Peacekeeper Wars...I let very much let down by them as I expected more.

Space Precint....ah, I was soooooooooooooo young whne that was on. but even then I knew it was crappy. But that's why i kinda enjoy it. Coz it was so crappy. Something to laugh at 6pm, once a week.

And the complete travesty that was season 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf had me grossly annoyed.

Cade
14-09-2005, 23:24
No....Futurama got axed because it wasn't The Simpsons.

Seriously.....the network decided to keep flogging the dead horse of The Simpsons and axe Futurama simply because of budget cuts and viewing figures.

:0)
14-09-2005, 23:57
The Stargate team going on hiatus after this week's episode! :mad:
Don't you get enough stargate in one week? You even have a full six hours dedicated to stargate alone on Fridays, am I correct?

Kordos
15-09-2005, 00:16
Australian free to air TV (channel 7 is the worst)

they repeatedly drop a show for a week or two, change the time slot and even the day/night it is surposed to be on (i watched the first half of S3 of Farscape at 11pm wednesday/thursday - depending on how the programers felt and then watched the last half at 3pm on a saturday arvo)

Dargon
15-09-2005, 00:50
Australian free to air TV (channel 7 is the worst)

they repeatedly drop a show for a week or two, change the time slot and even the day/night it is surposed to be on (i watched the first half of S3 of Farscape at 11pm wednesday/thursday - depending on how the programers felt and then watched the last half at 3pm on a saturday arvo)Personally, I'd place channel 9 as the worst offender (At least Channel 7 attempts to promote it's Sci Fi).

I don't know why Channel 9 even bothers to purchase Sci Fi programs when they clearly have no respect or interest in the genre. Most of the Star Trek programs were aired at 11pm, usually following a live broadcast sports program that always ran over time so you never knew when the Sci Fi show would actually start. I remember the sports program callously commenting proudly a couple of times about how little they were concerned with running over time and upsetting the Sci Fi audience. In addition, for Channel 9, the episodes were out on video (and in some cases DVD) long before their broadcast :rolleyes: .

But the final straw for me was what Channel 9 did to Farscape in it's final seasons (as Kordos mentioned). Shifting it all over the place (from 11pm on various weekdays, to Sat/Sun afternoons) with no warning whatsoever. Channel 9 was directly affiliated with Farscape's production - it amazes me that networks can do this to their own shows. As yet, I don't think Channel 9 has aired all the episodes of the final season of Farscape... thank god for DVD!

Just a thought...

Kordos
15-09-2005, 01:28
Personally, I'd place channel 9 as the worst offender (At least Channel 7 attempts to promote it's Sci Fi).

. As yet, I don't think Channel 9 has aired all the episodes of the final season of Farscape...

i think channel 7 just hates stargate

and I agree with you about farscape and am pretty sure they have not aired all of season 4

Inquisitor Engel
15-09-2005, 03:16
Seriously.....the network decided to keep flogging the dead horse of The Simpsons and axe Futurama simply because of budget cuts and viewing figures.

Wrong again. ;)

Fox purchased the rights to The Simpsons from Matt Groening, which gives them far more control and far more revenue. (Notice an increase of attempted politcal satire in The Simpsons lately) T

hey did not CUT Futurama, they simply declined to purchase more episodes, because Groening has the rights.

Cartoon Network has, at some point, expressed interest in buying new episodes from Groening, but I think he's doing other stuff, but is also interested.

We all know the cast of Futurama is infinitely funnier than anyone on the Simpsons now.

VanDoo
15-09-2005, 03:43
Starship Troopers 2 *shudder*

*Vomits heartily*

Dear GOD! How could have I forgotten about that one? I mean, the first one, whilst not having much to do with the book, was at least entertaining/had nice special effects. THAT piece of crap was such a ******* disapointment. Whomever made it ought to be hung by theirs nuts, whipped, shot, gutted, skinned, burned, decapitated and have their remains scattered to the four corners of the realm to serve as warning to others who might wish to follow in his footsteps.

lord_blackfang
15-09-2005, 05:15
Don't you get enough stargate in one week? You even have a full six hours dedicated to stargate alone on Fridays, am I correct?

That's an awfully UK (US?)-centric reply. :rolleyes:

I don't know what beautiful, SG-filled stations you have in your area, but where I live, they're just airing seasons 1-3 over and over and over. I have to get the new stuff through dubious online means.

Sai-Lauren
15-09-2005, 08:25
The later series of the X-Files, once it was a great show, later on - just bad.

Wasting the potential of Voyager - and the less said about Enterprise the better.

The gunnery system in B5: Legend Of The Rangers - a real case of :wtf:
(If you've never seen it, count yourself lucky) :rolleyes: .

Season 2 of Space 1999

lord_fenric
15-09-2005, 08:30
The gunnery system in B5: Legend Of The Rangers - a real case of :wtf:
(If you've never seen it, count yourself lucky) :rolleyes: .

Now that was funny. You'd think that a cross hair would be an accurate and reliable targetor, but no, they decided that punching and kicking in mid air was a winning idea

ArtificerArmour
15-09-2005, 09:05
i saw that, i was having a fit of laughter throughout.

yes, babylon 5 being on for sooo long, then farscape being axed.

at least farscape got itself a conclusion. a sad conclusion, but a conclusion none the less.

Xhalax
15-09-2005, 09:33
That's more or less the way I viewed The Peacekeeper Wars....even though it could and should have been an actual series in itself.
But it kinda sucks that they left it open for something more with all that happened and what everyone did/was going to do.

Love the DRD av!

Delicious Soy
15-09-2005, 10:58
The later series of the X-Files, once it was a great show, later on - just bad.Bah, Sai beat me to it. Being a rabid X-Files fanatic, season 8 & 9 are crimes against humanity. Duchovny left, the show was over.

Futurama being cancelled was other idiot decision. It was far funnier than the Simpsons and had been from the get go, unlike the Simpsons it didn't need a 3 year run up to consistently quality episodes.

And the aforementioned complaints against commercial Television in Australia. Battlestar Galatica is other triumph in **** poor programming. After airing the mini-series and getting decent ratings, they then left it for a month before starting the series. Idiots.

Jaq Draco
15-09-2005, 11:19
i was gonna suggest Crusade being cut

if it had a chance to get its storylines off the ground it coulda been a good series

The boyz
15-09-2005, 11:32
[QUOTE=Mad Doc Grotsnik]Space, Above and Beyond being cancelled after just one season. At the end of it, the main characters fates were left incredibly ambiguous. A fantastic cliff hanger, but a real **** of a way to leave fans when it gets cancelled for no apparent reason![QUOTE]

Yeah same here, that really pissed me of aswell :mad: . I used to love watching Space above and Beyond. One of my favourte Sci-Fi tv programs ever.

:0)
15-09-2005, 13:32
That's an awfully UK (US?)-centric reply. :rolleyes:
Colour me embarrassed for the previous reply, but calling me egocentric because I don't have access to foreign television schedules is not fair.

I don't know what beautiful, SG-filled stations you have in your area
Only one: Sci-Fi Channel on basic cable.

but where I live, they're just airing seasons 1-3 over and over and over. I have to get the new stuff through dubious online means.
I have no clue whether Sci-Fi does that either. I stopped watching a while ago, but I do remember they advertised a new episode each week for Stargate SG-1 and SG: Atlantis.

Wintermute
15-09-2005, 17:49
Greatest Sci Fi Crimes

let me think

Farscape's cancellation at the end of Season 4 despite the fact they had been promised a fifth season by the Sci-Fi Channel.

Babylon: Crusade being cancelled before the story arc even got started.

Space Precinct. What was Gerry Anderson thinking?

Jerimiah being cancelled

Brimstone being cancelled

Space Above and Beyond not fufilling its promise and churning out cliched stories for 22 episodes.

Firefly

Andromeda

ST: Voyager

ST: Enterprise

Millennium being cancelled after three seasons.

The X-Files not ending after Mulder discovered his sister's fate.

The Lone Gunmen being cancelled after 13 episodes.

The BBC's negative attitude to science fiction

Channel Four's scheduling and editing of Babylon 5

American Gothic's cancellation after one season

I think that will do to start with

Kiro
15-09-2005, 18:10
Brimstone being cancelled

Jeez! :eek:
I forgot about that show, it was ace, but sadly it was on at an insane time here in the UK.

Wintermute
15-09-2005, 18:43
Jeez! :eek:
I forgot about that show, it was ace, but sadly it was on at an insane time here in the UK.

Sky One transmitted it at a sensible time. However, Channel 4 didn't.

Another crime for the list.

UK terrestial tv channels for scheduling sf shows at stupid/insane times late at night or in a slot where they have to be edited due to unsuitable content for that time of day eg BBC 2 and Farscape.

Major Crime
The last five minutes of the last episode of Blake's 7 :cries:

WLBjork
15-09-2005, 23:48
Star Wars :evilgrin:

The fact that no one has filmed/mini-seriesed the Honor Harrington Novels yet.

Freak Ona Leash
16-09-2005, 00:00

:eyebrows: The only two SW tings on the TV was that horrid Holiday Special(which was when, I am told, Licas finally completed selling his soul to Satan) amd the Clone Wars micro-series. Which besides screwing with the continuity (and having a director with a name so rediculosuly long that I cant be bothered to spell it out and yell at him for not doing his homework) was actually quite good. Captain Red the ARC just kicked ass. :cool:

Jaq Draco
16-09-2005, 00:05
i'll stand up in defense of Voyager

it wasnt that bad, i quite enjoyed it

Adept
16-09-2005, 00:11
The greatest crime against TV sci-fi in Australia is Channel Ten not getting the second season of Battlestar Galactica. This is highlighted by Australian channels running the absolute crap that is the Stargate series for years! Battlestar Galactica was one of the best things to happen to sci-fi in a long, long time.

Kiro
16-09-2005, 02:00

Patience, my friend, we'll be getting two Star Wars TV series soon :evilgrin:

starlight
16-09-2005, 02:13
I just have to stand up and say that Space: Above and Beyond could have been a great idea before it was chucked in the toilet. The stories were good, the characters were okay (would likely have been better if they'd had time to *grow*), but the basic premise was fatally flawed.

Seriously folks, fighter pilots train for years to be that good, as do recce specialists. Now they want us to believe a bunch of early 20-somethings somehow manage to combine all the skills and abilities of two highly demanding careers into a few years of training and not too much actual fighting (at the beginning)?

They would have been *much* better off to have roughly the same number of cast members split into two interlinked teams a la Law & Order. Both teams work together, but be able to explore what makes them different and how they tick. Storylines involving both teams wouldn't be hard to come by.

PS: I'm biased, but the treatment of Firefly wins for worst crime.

Dargon
16-09-2005, 05:14
The greatest crime against TV sci-fi in Australia is Channel Ten not getting the second season of Battlestar Galactica.Is this true? I was under the impression the show was only halfway through production of the second season - seems too early yet to be televising it in Australia already. If channel 10 didn't pick it up... who did?

Just a thought...

Delicious Soy
16-09-2005, 05:37
Jerimiah being cancelledCrap I forgot that one. That was some good late night viewing, but the ending sucked. Just when it was going somewhere, its gets cancelled. Typical of the modern day. I wish programmers would realise that some shows need some time to develop. If they used the same judgements they do today, there would be no X-Files, Simpsons or half a dozen other defining TV shows.

The X-Files not ending after Mulder discovered his sister's fate.

Her true fate itself was a joke, but the show was on the downward slide in Season 7 (which also paralled a major absence of 'mythology' episodes).

The Lone Gunmen being cancelled after 13 episodes. Not as bad as the criminal episode of the X-Files used to end the show, which had nothing to do with the X-Files itself, except for the 5 minute cameo of Monica and Doggett. There's something unintentionally ironic about calling that episode 'Jumping the Shark'.

The greatest crime against TV sci-fi in Australia is Channel Ten not getting the second season of Battlestar Galactica. This is highlighted by Australian channels running the absolute crap that is the Stargate series for years! Battlestar Galactica was one of the best things to happen to sci-fi in a long, long time.

Where did you hear this? BG only started its 2nd season in the US in June/July, and unless Ten plan on airing it in summer (a distinct possibility), they won't air it until at least Feburary/March next year.

Adept
16-09-2005, 05:56
Is this true? I was under the impression the show was only halfway through production of the second season

No, the second season is finished. Heck, it's up to episode six or seven on some sci-fi cable channels over seas.

seems too early yet to be televising it in Australia already. If channel 10 didn't pick it up... who did?

So far as I know... no one. I wouldn't expect them to be screening it yet, but from what I hear they haven't acquired the rights to screen it and don't plan on doing so. I guess Big Brother and Australian Idol get better ratings.

Now, this is just what I heard, mind, so I could well be wrong (everyone pray that I am).

Scactha
16-09-2005, 06:51
Not really sci-fi but....

...cancellation of American Gothic. Jack Killian as the demonic sheriff. Very cool show.

...cancellation of Profit. Wonderfully insane main character. A big time investor sleeping in a cardboard box!? How weird is that?

Wintermute
16-09-2005, 06:55
No, the second season is finished. Heck, it's up to episode six or seven on some sci-fi cable channels over seas.

The US Sci-Fi Channel, who commissioned BSG, started screening Season 2 just over two months ago and will screen episode 9 Flight of the Phoenix tonight.

I suspect season 2 is still in production and hasn't finished shooting yet.

WLBjork
16-09-2005, 10:26
:eyebrows: The only two SW tings on the TV was that horrid Holiday Special(which was when, I am told, Licas finally completed selling his soul to Satan) amd the Clone Wars micro-series. Which besides screwing with the continuity (and having a director with a name so rediculosuly long that I cant be bothered to spell it out and yell at him for not doing his homework) was actually quite good. Captain Red the ARC just kicked ass. :cool:

What about the Droids cartoons?

Freak Ona Leash
16-09-2005, 10:28
What about the Droids cartoons?
As long as no one remembers it, it never happened.

lord_fenric
16-09-2005, 11:10
As long as no one remembers it, it never happened.

I liked that, fond childhood memories.

I even brought it on dvd.

Now the Ewok movies (live action)...... thats another story

Kaoslord
16-09-2005, 12:19
Hmmmm... Let's see... Serious crimes against Sci-fi.

10: Red Dwarf getting more than 5 cast members in season 5-6 and onwards...
9: Star Trek DS9 becoming so biblical it got pretentious
8: Space AB being canned
7: Poltergeist Legacy never making it to New Zealand for more than a few weeks at a time.
6: John Doggit (Xfiles. My god, why'd they put a Terminator in there?)
5: Andromeda
4: The Nightmare on Elm Street anthology series
3: The original transformers being canned two episodes into season 4.
2: The lazy $@#*^* animators who screwed up Transformers season 4 after such a nice end to season 3.
1: Any and all incarnations of Transformers after the original.

Jaq Draco
16-09-2005, 13:20
greatest sci fri crime, was not giving us more EArth 2

Xhalax
16-09-2005, 14:12
UK terrestial tv channels for scheduling sf shows at stupid/insane times late at night or in a slot where they have to be edited due to unsuitable content for that time of day eg BBC 2 and Farscape.

Hell yes. I never understood why BBC2 did that. Putting it on so early and hacking it to bits.
and they never reshowed Farscape in it's uncut form either.
They did with other things that they cut to pieces as it was on at the wrong time...like Buffy (and Channel 4 eventually did the same with Angel).

I guess that's why I'm glad I bought them on DVD and now have cable so I can watch this sort of stuff properly!

thegnome
19-09-2005, 08:35
Either:
1. The cancellation of Firefly
or
2. The Sci-Fi channel's Dune miniseries

Praetorian
19-09-2005, 11:27
V
:cries: :p :eyebrows:

sparks
19-09-2005, 12:53
Futurama all the way. fox managed to listen with family guy, why can't it do the same for futurama!!!
oh, and the 4400 for having a really annoying season 1 finale. can't say i was overly inspired to hunt down series 2 anywhere just yet, so would have liked to have seen a far less ambiguous ending, but never mind. (not quite sure if sci-fi is the right term for it, but if the x-files is here, then it's on par theme wise)

Ravening Wh0re
19-09-2005, 13:01
V

Haha. But I guess you can only do SO much about aliens who are really reptiles who have come to Earth who befriend us who they really want to eat us...../intentionallyimcomprehensible

MacVurrich
19-09-2005, 13:35
I miss the fact that they never did a seconf series of UltraViolet

That was a goog concept carbon bullets and all :)

Wisdom
19-09-2005, 15:17
Jadzia Dax gettin with worf. All them cringing conversations about their feelings "OOO, its hard for a klingon to show his feelings, love" and all them crappy klingon words they use when they could just use a normal one like lover.

In fact screw that, just jadzia dax in general with her smart arsed comments on everything. grrr.

O'brien should have had his own spin off series. He's the only star trek character ever to use the word 'b0ll0cks' for gods sake. hero

Oh, and cancelling Carnivale. It ain't sci-fi but then its hard to see which catagory it goes in

feugan
19-09-2005, 15:24
Dark Skies: it's not like the X-Files at all, honest!
Space Precinct: as discussed, dire. Oirish Sergeant Podly, to be sure...
Angel: controversial probably, but wasn't Buffy enough?
B5: Could happily have cut 2 series by removing the filler episodes about space wrestling, sex-as-diplomacy and Garibaldi's motorbike.
Voyager: 3 female characters who were by turns annoying, ridiculous and exploitative, backed up by a bunch of male characters it was hard to care about.

On the other hand:
B5: The story arc was undeniably ace, character development solid and the Starfury without a doubt the coolest fighter ever.
SW Clone Wars: so much better than I expected
New Battlestar Galactica: likewise
Original Buck Rogers: none more camp, none more fun...

geoffkemp
19-09-2005, 18:15
the canning of Dark skies after one season ....

Jaq Draco
19-09-2005, 22:58
Even though Angel wasnt sci-fi, but since feugan mentioned it, it was a crime they cut it, i wanted maybe one more season, the lat episode to me, left me wanting more, ok back on track

How do you think the new star wars mini series will go, do you think crime, or do you think triumph

Warlord Gnashgrod
19-09-2005, 23:04
In the late 80s, there was a War of The Worlds TV series, based on the 1955 movie, but set in the current timeframe(ie: late 1980s).

The first season was great, and got renewed(I'll admit, it did have a few problems, but the first season WAS good enough to get renewed for a second season!).

They utterly revamped the show for the second season. This revamp made the series SO terrible that it got cancelled. It had almost NOTHING to do with the '55 movie, or the first season at all.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it".

Warlord Gnashgrod
19-09-2005, 23:17
The cancellation of Enterprise. Say what you like about the show, but I wanted to see the Romulan Wars. The final episode...well, I'm lost for words...
I too was hoping to see the war with the Romulans. That might've helped to save the show....

Lurker
20-09-2005, 04:14
Hey guys did any of see the 2nd season of the orginal Battlestar Galactica? Glalatica 1980!

I love the orginal series and the new one is good to. But the Galactica finding earth and then time traveling to fight Nazi Germany... YUCK!

Kohhna
20-09-2005, 09:33
Putting Fred "I Killed Star-Trek" Freiberg in charge of the second serise of Space:1999.

vforvenator
20-09-2005, 13:41
The UK Wolf Lake scheduling time was some kind of joke. But given all the other channels have been guilty of this, I guess ITV felt left out.
What happened to the Red Dwarf series? I seem to recall the final episode ever didn't air, and I never heard about it again.

Odin
20-09-2005, 16:19
The uncertainty which J Michael Straczinski was faced when writing Babylon 5 - never knowing whether he'd get the next series. As a result, Series 4 had a lot of stuff crammed into it because they didn't think they'd get the funding for a 5th series. When they did get the funding, Series 5 was somewhat stretched out as a result.

Also, What the hell was JMS thinking when he decided to get rid of what made B5 good (i.e. the interlinking story arcs) and write a naff Star Trek clone ("Oh look what's happened, we're all going to die, oh hold on, we seem to have sorted it out in exactly 45 minutes again").

Wintermute
20-09-2005, 18:52
Putting Fred "I Killed Star-Trek" Freiberg in charge of the second serise of Space:1999.

I nearly posted this myself, but thought no one else would remember Freddie Freiberg or season two of Space 1999.

Kohhna
20-09-2005, 19:57
I read SFX and Ansible, I'm pretty well up on the Sci-fi great book of grudges.

The pestilent 1
20-09-2005, 20:44
Hey guys did any of see the 2nd season of the orginal Battlestar Galactica? Glalatica 1980!

I love the orginal series and the new one is good to. But the Galactica finding earth and then time traveling to fight Nazi Germany... YUCK!

oh. yes. that. :mad:

Lurker
20-09-2005, 22:14
oh. yes. that. :mad:

Yeah its the second worst bit about Battlestar Glalactica... the 1st being the Daggit.