PDA

View Full Version : Re-Rollable 0+ AS, worth it?

Kotobuki
14-09-2005, 19:08
Is it worth spending an extra 7 points (and using an Enchanted shield that could be given to someone else), to give a Lord level character a Re-rolled 0+ save, as opposed to a re-rolled 1+ save? You'd need to get hit with alot of S6 hits to make it worth it, as opposed to S5 (which are all over the place with GWs). Are there enough S6 attacks that still let you use your armour save to make it worth it?

Griefbringer
14-09-2005, 19:20
I would think that a re-rollable 0+ save is quite good against S5 attacks - you only have 1/36 chance of failing it, where as a re-rollable 1+ save would fail at 4/36 chance.

Browning
14-09-2005, 21:24
You could keep the re-rollable 1+ save, and then just send the character to go and pick on lots of weaker units. He'd be very unlikely to fail his save. But if you wanted to take the re-rollable 0+ save option, he'd be very effective in challenges. If I were you I'd go for the latter option. At the end of the day, 7 points isn't really that much, is it?

gortexgunnerson
14-09-2005, 23:24
I'd prefer a ward save if you can get one, as killer blow/no armour save weapons like artillery are widely available to most amies

DrkAp0stle
15-09-2005, 00:11
I would prefer the 0+sv. It just means that they need to use higher strength stuff just to get your save into a decent area. Which means more stuff directed towards the character and less against the rest of the army.

-Ap0stle

Kotobuki
15-09-2005, 03:03
I'd prefer a ward save if you can get one, as killer blow/no armour save weapons like artillery are widely available to most amies

He is a Brettonian Lord. He gets a 6+ ward save against attacks S4 and less, and a 5+ ward against attacks of S5 or more, so he's got the Ward covered. Just curious as to whether I should save the Enchanted shield for a different character or not. Though, I suppose having the survuvability increased that much on a main character's probably a good idea.

Crazy Harborc
16-09-2005, 01:26
Go for the max/best armour save you can get on characters/lords. They can become walking/riding bullseyes for lots of shooting. Try to add a ward save too.

Scythe
16-09-2005, 16:31
It's never bad to have a better armour save, especially when you have ward already covered. 7 pts is almost nothing when you realise how many great weapons (and so S5-7 attacks) are around these days. Sure it's worthless against ignore armour weapons and killing blow, but hey, it's only 7 pts you're spending. Against S7 (not that hard to reach these days) you still have a solid 4+ rerollable armour save (opposed to 5+ reroll). Thats's very hard to pierce.

Angelripper
16-09-2005, 19:54
I think a 0+ re-rollable is cool but the 1+ is enough for almost everything. as said before no use against killing blow or armour ignoring weapons which are wide spread theese days.
Id take the 1+ and give the enchanted shield to another one where it could do more good. Since bretonian knights don't tend to run around in empire tin-cans (ähm plate armour) the enchanted shield should go to hero number 2 :D

just my two cents

Kotobuki
17-09-2005, 03:24
Well... for just another 20 points (which the character has available) I can make him immune to Killing Blow and Poison... I'd have to move some stuff aroudn in the Army list... but I could do it.

Scythe
17-09-2005, 13:00
Jikes. That is a serious defense character. I'd grade such character higher as the dwarf king or empire elector with 1+ reroll and 4+ ward....

moar barmu
06-10-2005, 01:19
If I am not wrong, isn't a 1+ save the best poosible save, i.e., all this talk of a 0+ save nonsense?

Scythe
06-10-2005, 08:41
Hmm, tread ressurected from the dead....

And nope, there is no such restriction. You can upgrade your armour save as high as you want too. However a roll of 1 always fails, regardless of your save. So you can have your 0+, -1+ save or wathever you want as long as you can combine the items to get it.

Eldacar
06-10-2005, 12:43
If I am not wrong, isn't a 1+ save the best poosible save, i.e., all this talk of a 0+ save nonsense?
No, that is a carry-over from 5th edition. In 6th, the rulebook says "1+, or even less", which means that yes, you can get a 0+ rerollable save. You can also get a -1+ rerollable save in the case of the Lizardmen (and they can still have 60+ points available for other magic items as well).

MarcoPollo
07-10-2005, 01:14
If you want to keep your character alive, then have 0+ reroll save with a ward save. It is just too sad to have you character killed by a killing blow or cannonball when a ward save could have helped.