PDA

View Full Version : Dark elves help....

chris yun
24-11-2007, 16:35
i have 10 cold one knights, a full crossbow unit, a full spearmen unit, reaper bolt thrower a highborn on black dragon (460 points) a chariot, 10 black guards, and witch elf..... is this good if not tell me wat i need to improve this army..

Makarion
24-11-2007, 17:07
Well, Dark Elves are among the weakest armies in a competitive environment, but even so they have good units here and there.

1. Your glaringly lacking unit is Dark Riders, which is probably the best DE unit. Get at least 2 units of 5 (with repeater crossbows and a musician). They can also be a very good place to park a sorceresss (on a steed). Actually, do you indeed have no sorceresses at all? In a 2,000+ battle, I'd expect at least a caddie, and probably 6 levels (level 4 and a level 2).

2. 10 knights is an awful lot of points, although fielding them as 2 units of 5 might work in big games. In smaller games, leave half of them home.

3. The highborn on a dragon is a huge risk, and I'd personally not field him in battles under 3,000 points or so.

4. The Black Guard are gorgeous and stylish, but utter drosh. Don't field them unless you want hem for theme reasons, and if you do, not in a unit under 15 in size.

5. *A* witch elf, as in one? I'm personally disappointed in them (I play against dark elves from time to time, and they have yet to win a battle against a unit of any decent size - they always get shot up or crushed by cavalry). Still, if you manage to shield them, or get good cover on a flank approach, they can be decent I am sure. You'll want a few more in that case, though....

6. I'd get more repeater bolt throwers. They can actually kill stuff without suffering from stupidity.

7. You might consider some shades. A single, minimum-size unit is just about right at 2,000 points or so. They won't kill a whole lot, but since they are scouts, they buy the rest of your army time, and you might get lucky and get some bolts into the odd warmachine crew, or fast cavalry.

Good luck!

Little Aaad
25-11-2007, 11:29
[QUOTE=Makarion;2122599]
4. The Black Guard are gorgeous and stylish, but utter drosh. Don't field them unless you want hem for theme reasons, and if you do, not in a unit under 15 in size.

[QUOTE]

Well, yes but they are awesome in combat. They are very good at tying up enemy units and when working with dark riders, they are almost indestructble.

maswalaki
25-11-2007, 18:25
Indestructible? you mean the save 5+ or the T3? :D
For me another thing misses: the Hydra. It's one of the most powerful babies you can have, especially if you can use the spec rules (the acid one, that's what you want).

And for me DE is lots of Dark magic, and just stand outshooting the chillwinded enemy, sneaking with darkriders, shades... xbowmen with shield are really good all-rounders.