PDA

View Full Version : Who looks at warhammer the same way as when they first started?

Bunny Lord
24-11-2007, 22:29
I was thinking back to the day where i just started warhammer 4 years ago (i was in 5th grade). And i remember doing it because all the people at school started it. And i started with space marines (duh). I thought of them as action figures. I thought 10 in a box was a lot and when i opened my first box, a tactical squad i thought these arent good action figures. I never looked at warhammer the same as i did back then.

dcikgyurt
24-11-2007, 22:32
To be honest, I've always seen it as a type of free-style chess.

Cirenivel
24-11-2007, 22:36

Yup, couldn't express it better myself.
Other than maybe add "and to have fun with" :angel:

Cirenivel

Cry of the Wind
24-11-2007, 22:46

Well said! It's basically what I think of it too. Chess with the cool put in! I used that example when I worked for GW whenever I had to explain what the game was to the people who had never seen it before.

MrPickles
24-11-2007, 22:46
Well, I am not quite sure what you mean, but when someone described it to me for the first time, I thought the hq was a buidling like Dawn of War.

dcikgyurt
24-11-2007, 22:54
Well said! It's basically what I think of it too. Chess with the cool put in! I used that example when I worked for GW whenever I had to explain what the game was to the people who had never seen it before.

Yup, couldn't express it better myself.
Other than maybe add "and to have fun with" :angel:

Cirenivel

The cool/fun factor came into it after I started playing, but yes, it is a major part of it.

Cry of the Wind
25-11-2007, 01:20
Well, I am not quite sure what you mean

Basically I'd explain that 40k is like a chess game in that it is a strategy game where you have different playing pieces that each have their own rules. Now put chess onto a model train set board and hand paint all the chess pieces, and instead of simply removing models when they touch you get to roll dice that represent shooting and fighting in hand to hand. That's basically what I think of when I say chess with the cool thrown in, cool being awesome models and neat looking tables (not to mention the back story).

dblaz3r
25-11-2007, 03:08
I like the analogy of it being like a chess game, iv used that before. I still see it the same as when I first encountered it and I still prefer it to video games, 25 years of those and still the AI is rubbish. 3G, what a let down.

MrPickles
25-11-2007, 03:12
And at least there are no cliffhanger endings in a 40k battle unlike some video games *cough* crysis *cough*.

catbarf
25-11-2007, 03:14
At least there are no massively overrated and massively overhyped miniatures games *cough* Halo 3/Crysis *cough* ;)

LankyOgre
25-11-2007, 03:29
I usually describe it as "remember when you used to play Army Men and argue about who "killed" who? Well its like that, but with rules."

RampagingRavener
25-11-2007, 03:34
Well, I am not quite sure what you mean, but when someone described it to me for the first time, I thought the hq was a buidling like Dawn of War.

Same here, actually, I had this image of two lone soldiers standing on top of a bunker...

marneus54
25-11-2007, 03:42

Chess, were your king is the spawn of pure evil, queen is a mother that spits out thousands of insects a day, knights are the guys that seek to control everything, bishops that try to convert everything in an arrogant way, rooks that want to enslave everything they see, and finally the pawns that die from everything stated previous.

MuttMan
25-11-2007, 06:41
I like this game as when I started. As a GI-Joe kid, I always wanted an excuse to play toy soldiers when I was too old to play with Gi-Joes. Now I can. :p

Stormhammers
25-11-2007, 06:44
all in all, 40K is just like playing 'army men' with rules and dice.

mistformsquirrel
25-11-2007, 06:49
I already had a basic idea what I was getting into, but that's because I'm an incessant researcher - so the instant I started thinking "Well... maybe I might like to get into the tabletop version of this" (thanks to Dawn of War); I hit Wikipedia and read fluff incessantly for a couple days straight. And then I hit up the official GW boards for the 2 or 3 months they were actually active after I got interested. And then I came here because the other 40k forums I visited were... less than good.

But I already knew it was a wargame and had a basic idea of what a wargame was; because I'd played Battletech for a long time. (Classic Battletech, back when FASA was still alive!)

So yah... >.< not much difference really.

Stormhammers
25-11-2007, 06:53
I got into 40K the way many "old timers" did, a friend showed me some of his space marines, I thought they were cool and then I got me a few of my own to paint up and then I bought the box, read the rules, and then it built up from there. Back then, the only 40K video game was sSace Hulk, possibly Final Liberation. But "back in my day" there was very little known about 40K outside of hardcore gamer circles

Grizzled
25-11-2007, 11:12
I usually describe it as "remember when you used to play Army Men and argue about who "killed" who? Well its like that, but with rules."

Do I know you from somewhere? That is word for word what I tell people as well! :)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-11-2007, 13:08
Yes and no.

I've always known what the games are about, as Heroquest was the source of my one way ticket to Geekdom (seriously).

But I guess after almost 20 years, you cannot help but feel a little jaded. Oddly enough, I was looking at my new High Elf book yesterday, and I noticed for the first time in a while just how pretty a nicely painted model looks on it's own.

Daft huh? I guess you just stop seeing certain things after a while.

JimmyP0567
25-11-2007, 16:20
My friend got me into 40k back in '04. he was describing it, and promised to show me one of those booklets that has various army squads in it for advertising or something. I asked about each army, and decided I wanted to play as Imperium, I bought 'Battle for Macragge' about 2 months later, sold my space marines and Tyarnids, and bought some Imperial Guard.

Now I help run a games day almost every other weekend at said friends hous; And not long ago, about 1 or 2 years ago, I got my other friend into 40k, and he took up a Chaos army, and got several hundred points worth of stuff for free from a guy who was moving to Alaska.

It's a cycle really, if you don't go to a place that has a GW, someone you know will have to introduce you, and then you'll end up bringing more people into it.

sigur
25-11-2007, 17:17
After reading the thread title, I would have expected this thread to be about something a bit different. I, for my part, getting into 40k/WHFB (in 1996 or something like that) after playing Space Crusade, Hero Quest, Battle Masters and similar games as well as pen&paper RPGs, read the rulebook and knew what it was about.

But my attitude towards the thing (and I thought that this thread would be about this) changed quite a lot.

Calistarius
25-11-2007, 18:03
When I first started, I thought the games would look like the pictures in White Dwarf. Little did I know...

Colonel Kevlar
25-11-2007, 19:23
My uncle got me into it a LOOONG time ago (I still own the 2nd Ed rulebook, man I feel ancient) mostly because he knew i loved star wars. I remeber him saying, "look, you remeber all those action scenes from Star Wars? This is how we reenact them :D." Little to say, I was immediatley hooked.

The Kevlar Colonel

Visionary
25-11-2007, 20:12
My Dad said I should get a hobby( Must've been when i was 10 or so) and he suggested making models. I thought 'Ah i know where I've seen models' and i went down to a shop called 'Morning star', bought some marines (I wanted the 'Spikey ones' but I just went with it).
So i suppose back then I didn't know that you could play with the models I thought they just looked cool. Now I think of the game a bit differently since I know the background and such but I still take modeling (Not to be confused with painting) over gameplay.