PDA

View Full Version : Hail Praetoria, Praetoria Rules the Void!

BrotherAdso
24-11-2007, 23:52
Ok, so we all know the tiny bit of canon there is about Praetoria.

If not, surf on over to GW and glance at it. Two paragraphs.

But, given the obvious thematic leanings of the force, and the open-ness of the fluff, there's a lot of room for playing here.

How do you all envision the history, traditions, organization, relations of Praetoria and her Guards?

BrotherAdso
24-11-2007, 23:53
Here's my start -- take it or leave it, or use it.

Victoriana System (Bakka, Praetoria, Delianos)

PRIMARY WORLD:
Praetoria

POPULATION: 19.37 Billion
CLASSIFICATION: Alpha-B / Near-Hive
RESOURCE BASE: Theta / Strategic
AFFILIATION: Bakka Planetary Yards, Primary Dependent

Planetary Government:
The Royal Family of Praetoria are the descendants of the Imperial Governor first appointed to the planet in M.34, when it emerged from its spatial-distortion isolation in on the far edge of Segmentum Terra.

The Royal Family’s eldest and/or most legitimate member reigns as King or Queen Regent. Technically, they are sitting regent for the Emperor, but practically, they are a quite powerful group. The entire nobility of the family is related by adoption or blood, and they occupy almost all of the officer posts in the military.

However, the power of the Family is checked by the Administrative Quorum, also called the Parliament. The parliament is divided into hereditary posts, given only to members of the High Administratum, most of whom migrated to the planet in M.34, and popular posts, which a small portion of the educated and genetically qualified populace is allowed to elect. The Parliament controls most of the Treasury, coordinates with the rest of the Imperium, and, most importantly, runs all the everday administration of the planet and its trade.

The everyday life of most citizens on Praetoria, of course, has little or nothing to do with these political divisions. Everyday control on the planet is mostly accomplished through a powerful and extremely intolerant police force, a long-running practice of forcibly enlisting troublemakers, and the incredibly fast pace of industry and trade, which keeps most Praetorians firmly face-to-the-grindstone.

Population Distribution

50% of the Praetorian people live in “L-Hab,” “L-Hive,” or “Central”, as the largest urban agglomeration on the planet is called. Located right near the equator, Central is a huge space-and-sea port, linked by approach lanes and orbital elevators, massive freight-rails and transit stations to the rest of the planet and system.

30% make their homes in the three smaller manufacturing and mining hives located on other continents. These include “B-Hab,” “Hardhab,” “Geohive,” and other names. The three are located at the most important sites for mineral and fuel extraction, and export their raw and finished products to “L-Hive” for transit.

20% live in the isolated farmsteads scattered across the southern grasslands of Praetoria. These farmsteads, though lightly populated, supply a huge portion of the foodstuffs needed by the hive-dwellers. These farmsteads are, however, exposed to attack by the recurring Ork sporings on that continent, and require large, mobile contingents of PDF to protect them.

Prominent Interstellar Interests

Praetoria is in the same system as the planet Bakka, which houses a gigantic Imperial Naval Yard and the accompanying Adeptus Mechanicus facilities. Praetoria provides raw materials and goods for the forges of Bakka, crews most of her ships, and acts as the trade-hub in the system. They say that “Bakka rules the Black,” – and Praetorians are fond of the retort “…but she does it on our backs.” As a result, Praetorian traders and colonists range across the sector with the fleet, and her huge population provides recruits for both the Imperial Guard and, almost in equal numbers, the Navy.

VanHel
25-11-2007, 06:56
Where praytell is the info on our glorious Praetoria on the GW site?

BrotherAdso
25-11-2007, 11:27
Well, I'll be buggered, but I can't find it on GW US...perhaps it exists on GW UK or ES.

Anyhow, this is what was printed in the Games Day 1997 booklet about the Praetorians. It is, as far as I can tell, the only published info about them ever, designed to complement the Big Toof River diorama that year.

Whatever the reason, Sherdan trusted the preliminary reconnaissance reports and decided to despatch a small force to deal with the Orks as quickly as possible. The troops that he sent were the veterans of the campaign against the Dark Eldar, the 24th Praetorians.

Praetoria is a heavily populated Hive World that lies in a system close to the Imperial naval base at Bakka. The over populated Hive-Cities of Praetoria are renowned for their squalor and degradation, and produce some of the toughest gangers on any of the hive worlds in the Imperium. This vast population work as little more than slave-labour in the huge factory complexes of Praetoria, producing the goods that have made the planet (and its rulers) one of the richest in the Imperium, with a huge fleet of merchant craft that trade all over the Segmentum and beyond.

Imperial Guard regiments raised on Praetoria are renowned for their iron discipline and bravery, even in the face of the most overwhelming odds. The planetary lords of Praetoria hold it is only through fearsome training and draconian punishments for the most minor infringements that the hive-toughened inhabitants of their planet can be made to follow orders and do as they are told. Whatever one's views on the training methods used, they seem to work, producing troops that are as ferocious on the attack as they are determined in defence.

The 24th Praetorians had lived up well to the traditions of the fighting reputation of their homeworld, but had suffered very heavy casualties in so doing. Of the 1500 troops that had left Praetoria only about 300 now remained. More importantly, all of the regiment's senior officers had been killed. The most senior officer left alive, and acting commander of the regiment, was 21 year old Captain Gliene of C Company

In the story surrounding the diorama, the remaining Praetorians are combined with Tallarn armored companies and sent into a disastrous battle against a horde of Orks, which they, needless to say, lose terribly.

-Adso

Necrontyr
25-11-2007, 16:41
Wll there's this (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Praetorian),
but not much else I can find

BrotherAdso
25-11-2007, 22:20
Necrontyr, the lexicanum entry is even more sketchy than what I had already posted. What I'm looking for here are fresh ideas, creativity, or just some criticism of the trial fluff I put a few posts up.

-Adso

VanHel
26-11-2007, 04:37
Well Adso, I like what you've written. And is quite similar to my own views of our beloved planet.

Tehkonrad
26-11-2007, 04:42
I like adso's ideas, i also like to think that they have a penal world of Australis which prodces penal legions and conscriptsw