PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Fate Question

Shank
25-11-2007, 04:41
When using the Sword of Fate, do I have to tell my opponent "who" I am using it against before the game?

Greyfire
25-11-2007, 05:11
I'm guessing that this is going to be a "my opinion" kind of answer for everyone.

For myself, both with the Lizardman Bane Head and the Empire Sword of Fate, I tell my opponent who I have nominated. It tips my hand as far as what magic weapon I have, I know, but sometimes that bit of knowledge can help out more than the item itself. It's kept my opponent from committing his characters to combats where I could pick him out - and keeping an enemy model out of combat can be helpful.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

-=- Steve

Makarion
25-11-2007, 06:56
You can always write it down and reveal what you wrote down when up against the pre-chosen opponent. Leave the note with a third person if you like some extra paranoia.

WLBjork
25-11-2007, 08:25
The Dwarf Grudge Rune tells you to secretly nominate a character on your roster sheet.

I think that this mechanism can be applied to other items/abilities from other forces that also require a particular enemy to be nominated.

Falkman
25-11-2007, 11:16
The Grudge rune tells you to SECRETLY nominate an enemy, the Sword of Fate does not, it only tells you to nominate an enemy, nothing secret there.
I'd say you'd have to tell your opponent which character you have nominated unless the rules specifically says you can secretly nominate them.

Shank
25-11-2007, 16:02
I disagree Falkman, it also doesn't say "You have to tell your opponent". Nominate doesn't me your opponent has to know. If I had a weapon that effected only characters with T5 or higher, would I have to tell him that?
The problem is, the weapon is totally useless if your opponent knows who it is directed against. They will simply avoid said character. And since it has no effect against anything else, that is a big waste of points.
But I do see the other side. How do you know I haven't switched characters to make the weapon effective against someone else during the game? But that could be true of almost any magic item. "Well, he didn't take much magic this game, I will switch these dispel scrolls to power stones in the middle of a game".
I like the "writing it down in secret" method. Maybe a envelope or something. I want to have a fun game and hate arguments. But I am a firm believer that magic items should be kept secret. What use would the "Crystal Ball" be.

T10
25-11-2007, 21:17
The problem is, the weapon is totally useless if your opponent knows who it is directed against. They will simply avoid said character. And since it has no effect against anything else, that is a big waste of points.

You are under the misconception that the Sord of Fate relies solely on the "surprise factor". Far from it! Telling your opponent which specific target has been selected for the Sword of Fate puts him on the defensive.

-T10

Griefbringer
25-11-2007, 22:35
Not to mention that - as far as I have understood - you only need to tell who is the target of the Sword of Fate, but not which character carries it (though in some armies this might be more obvious).

So the "marked" character might get a bit paranoid about all enemy characters - there is certain distress in knowing that there is a sword out the with your "name writ on it".

Damocles8
26-11-2007, 18:23
You can always write it down and reveal what you wrote down when up against the pre-chosen opponent. Leave the note with a third person if you like some extra paranoia.

better yet write it down and leave it on the table so your opponent can see the blank paper and have it pique his interest.....

ZomboCom
26-11-2007, 21:08
If it had to be written down it would definately say so.

Shank
27-11-2007, 00:01
I called GW to see if I could get this cleared up. They told me that when using the sword of fate, at the beginning of the game I have to say "I have a magic item and it effects your general or whatever". I don't have to say what it is or who is carrying it. I guess this seems fair but it really diminishes it's uses. Anyone who knows the Empire a little bit will reason it is the sword (because it is the only magic item I need to nominate with) and will be reasonably sure it is with my general. Thus, avoiding my general. I will then pay 40points for a sword that does nothing the entire game. Better to take the Sword of Power and get +2 strength all the time.

Fate
27-11-2007, 12:42
WEll, try this out, get one level 4 mage with that sword and van horstmann's speculum and get 2 more mages. Then join a captain with a pagasus, he'll avoid the pegasus no matter what and be confused when he sees your mage on foot charging him. lol