PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Cold?

Xinithorp
14-09-2005, 21:34
Does anyone know any ways to cool things down that don't involve a freezer or putting things outside on a cold day?

I have something I need to cool down, and carrying ice an hour every day won't do. So two chemicals that I could carry around would be cool (pun semi-intended). I could be like Mr Freeze.

Are there any easy-to-get chemicals/elements that when mixed will become suddenly very cold? I'm thinking something along the lines of those cold packs that you break or that really cold spray you get from holding a tin of electronics duster upside-down.

The pestilent 1
14-09-2005, 21:41
Chemicals to make things cold?
you can do that :p
im afraid my knowledge of Chemistry amounts to blowing things up, but i should imagine those ice-pack things have the chemicals listed?
heck, get an ice-pack thing, they take an ice-age to return to room temp.

(to give you an example, a trip to Blackpool from chesterfield (between doncaster and sheffield, probably means nothing to you anyway :p )
anyway, this journey took a good four/five hours (due to absolutly horrible directions, my personal favorite of which is going south on the M60 despite my protests of "i think this is the wrong way. you know, this IS the wrong way. this is south. we should be going north. martin you muppet, we're going south!)
i know direct.
sorry for the monologue. :D

Cade
14-09-2005, 23:25
Liquid nitrogen works rather well.

Getting hold of it may be a problem. :D

TitusAndronicus
14-09-2005, 23:35
my mother in law could help with that problem...

:0)
14-09-2005, 23:53
Does anyone know any ways to cool things down that don't involve a freezer or putting things outside on a cold day?

I have something I need to cool down, and carrying ice an hour every day won't do.
Got a dead body you want to put on ice or something?

Freak Ona Leash
14-09-2005, 23:56
Liquid nitrogen works rather well.

Getting hold of it may be a problem. :D
Ive always wanted to spray someone in the eyes with that...dont they sell some somall bottles of it as "Personal Wart Removers? :eyebrows: Though most likely not enough to keep a whole body cool...

Wiseman
15-09-2005, 00:42
so if we dont see nid posting for a while,m at least we now know what happened to him......

15-09-2005, 00:44
Maybe he's just taking an odd approach to a home-made cryogenic sleep chamber.

Xinithorp
15-09-2005, 01:19
Yes, Liquid Nitrogen would be pretty sweet, but...
:D

No dead bodies. At least not right now. ;)

Basically, I have a box made from 1" foam that I made for storing beverages and such. You'll find out more about it later. Trust me. ;)

However, my beverages would mainly consist of store-bought packages like 6-packs of cans, packs of juice, etc. Those usually aren't purchased refridgerated. So to keep them in a cooler wouldn't do much - unless there was something that could be tossed into the cooler to suck out some of the heat.

Now, I don't want to involve actual fridges, since there is a commute time between the fridge and the location of the cooler. This is why the chemical ice pack would be ideal, since it would be cold when needed. However, I don't want to have to keep buying the things.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Alco Engineer
15-09-2005, 01:41
Basically look up endothermic reactions on the web. these absorb heat and cool stuff down. I'd look but I'm supposed to be working.

Another is evaporating liwuid and melting solids. these both cool stuff down as it takes up the latent heat removing it from the system. That's why ice and sweating cool stuff down. Also salty ice water is colder than normal ice water so if you aren't putting it in a drink use that.

Look up endothermic reactions. that's the best chemical way to go....

Wiseman
15-09-2005, 01:44
[snip
Basically, I have a box made from 1" foam that I made for storing ........ You'll find out more about it later. Trust me. ;)
[/snip]

so in otherwords you cut up the dead bodies and stick them in the little fridge and you think you will get caught for this and it will be all over the news?

Gavmo
15-09-2005, 03:43
Hang on. Am I the only one who noticed this? Xinithorp lives in Canada. Why does he need to keep things cold? It'll be winter there soon too.

So, my sugestion?
PUT IT OUTSIDE!!! ;)

...or. Buy one of those little portable fridges that you can get for cars or campervans. They suck a lot of juice though so you will need it to actually be in a car.

15-09-2005, 04:11
However, my beverages would mainly consist of store-bought packages like 6-packs of cans, packs of juice, etc. [...]

Now, I don't want to involve actual fridges, since there is a commute time between the fridge and the location of the cooler.
You can't fool me. You just don't want to get up before halftime, lazy ****. :p