PDA

View Full Version : How does one pronounce Daemon?

mistformsquirrel
25-11-2007, 07:11
So this has been bugging me for awhile now...

In my head, it makes the most sense to pronounce it "Day-Mon" or "Day-men" something like that...

However in Dawn of War, both the Narrator AND the Grey Knights say "Dee-mon"

This is obviously a pretty trivial matter... but in seriousness >.< Which is correct?

azimaith
25-11-2007, 07:14
æ
the ash, an early English ligature representing a vowel sound like that of a in modern bad. The long ǣ continued in use until about 1250, but was finally replaced by e. The short æ was given up by 1150, being replaced usually by a but sometimes by e.

There you go.
Sounds like its really Dah-mon.

Perhaps that sounded too Jamaican :P

Anyhow, since it was replaced by the E its now Demon despite being Daemon. At least thats the case if the AE in daemon is actually the combined form. If its not its Day-mon

MrP
25-11-2007, 07:17
In all seriousness, it just depends on the language. Just grab thyself a dictionary and look at the phonetic whatchamacallit, and Bob's your uncle. i say demon in the DoW style when saying it in English, and quite differently in Ancient Greek. And with the cold I currently have, I just pronounce it with a horrible hacking and groaning and sneezing. ;)

shaso_iceborn
25-11-2007, 07:30
well as the other obviously anthropology major said time lines have changed. But believe it or not all are correct pronuciation

In europe/asia it is normally pronounced day-mon
in north america Dee-mon
and south americans standardly pronounce it day-men

so really it's all correct

The_Dragon_Rising
25-11-2007, 07:33
Its pronounced as if-as already stated- it was an e and as such it is demon however if you want to pronounce it as daemon it shoyld be daymon.

lordbeefy
25-11-2007, 07:46
Actually, the coorect pronunciation, per collins is dee-mon.

Daemon is the old english derivative of daimon, the original ancient greek word meaning divine, god, goddess, guardian spirit etc. The Dæ mon spelling is used in the references to inner spirits, I believe dante and poe use this version extensively.

So, what was daimon, became daemon, then demon, to reflect the english languages attempt to represent words acurately in terms of phonetics.

GW use the Daemon spelling because it adds to the ancient or gothic feel of 40k, in a pseudo latin/greek/gothic was, as they do with many of the words in their books and codex's.

Ultimately however my friend, you say it however you wish to say it, its a game you should enjoy...if you want to say day-mon, dah-mon or dee-mon, they are still gonna get burned by the inquisition!

Vaktathi
25-11-2007, 08:27
When I read it I think "Day-Mon"

when I actually speak it I go back and forth between Dee-mon and Day-mon.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
25-11-2007, 08:56
So this has been bugging me for awhile now...

In my head, it makes the most sense to pronounce it "Day-Mon" or "Day-men" something like that...

However in Dawn of War, both the Narrator AND the Grey Knights say "Dee-mon"

This is obviously a pretty trivial matter... but in seriousness >.< Which is correct?

It's "dee-mon". Have a clicky here (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/daemon) to hear it pronounced.

vice
25-11-2007, 09:17
Deemon all the way.

Cirenivel
25-11-2007, 13:20
It's dee-mon here.

Cirenivel

The Warmaster
25-11-2007, 13:30
Dee-mon FTW.

- N.

Nostro
25-11-2007, 13:31
Deh-mon by me...

Grimtuff
25-11-2007, 13:32
I cannot believe how people think it is pronounced "day-mon"

This is what would be in my head if someone pronounced it that way IRL

"Commander. Damons are attacking our troops!"
"Which ones? Hills or Albarns?"
"Sir they're dressed as Racing Drivers"
"Those Bastards! All troops prepare to fire at will!"

:p

Jo Bennett
25-11-2007, 13:35
So, what was daimon, became daemon, then demon, to reflect the english languages attempt to represent words acurately in terms of phonetics.

This last sentence caused me to emit loud snorts. Accurate phonetically? English? How does the word "one" strike you? What exactly is -ough a correct phonetic representation of? Seriously, English is diabolically unphonetic. Heck, how many other languages have large numbers of homonyms?

Bloodknight
25-11-2007, 13:38
The English language lost the phonetic correctness with the standardisation of its spelling in the Early Modern English times - it was not updated later when the Great Vowel Shift occured (example: mice. was pronounced meece before which is phonetically more correct). I doubt most people would understand a Shakespearean play if pronounced as it was when it was written. In earlier times English sounded a lot more like German today.

theunwantedbeing
25-11-2007, 13:43
Dee-mon.
or
Day-mon.

Generally the first though.

Askari
25-11-2007, 14:33
I typically pronounce it the same as the current "Demon".
But I prefer the spelling of Daemon infinitely.

The Warmaster
25-11-2007, 14:36
I typically pronounce it the same as the current "Demon".
But I prefer the spelling of Daemon infinitely.

I'm very much the same on this one. "Daemon" just has a much more archaic look, and I do love my archaic words.

- N.

sigur
25-11-2007, 14:43
The thing about many "archaric" words is that they often seem a bit like "heavy goth-cosplay" teenage kids. I'll just go with Demon.

Heru Talon
25-11-2007, 14:44
It's pronounced Day-mon. Simply because GW decided to be cute calling them Daemons (which via standard translation doesn't have anything to do with monsters from hell) rather than Demons (which are monsters from hell).

Askari
25-11-2007, 14:46
It's pronounced Day-mon. Simply because GW decided to be cute calling them Daemons (which via standard translation doesn't have anything to do with monsters from hell) rather than Demons (which are monsters from hell).

Daemons, in 40k, are not monsters from hell.
So it's fine :)

superknijn
25-11-2007, 15:37
Meh, just a different way of spelling Demon, and pronounced in the same way. Just like those New Age folks who insist that magick is totally different from the fake magic.

Mr Zephy
25-11-2007, 16:33
Heck, how many other languages have large numbers of homonyms?

Mandarin Chinese is almost entirely homonyms...

Bloodknight
25-11-2007, 16:43
that's because Chinese works differently. It differentiates meaning by pitch unlike indo-european languages which do it via inflections. At least that is how I understood my linguistics professor.

Mr Zephy
25-11-2007, 17:00
Actually, thinking about it, very few Chinese words would be true homonyms. My mistake.

Heru Talon
25-11-2007, 19:52
Daemons, in 40k, are not monsters from hell.
So it's fine :)

Depends on your definition of Hell.

If you want to get technical, a Demon is a life form not of this Reality / Dimension.

MrPickles
25-11-2007, 19:54
On another note, how does one say "biel-tan" as in the eldar craftworld?

TheBigBadWolf
25-11-2007, 20:01
Deemon

Be el tan

Adept
25-11-2007, 20:04
On another note, how does one say "biel-tan" as in the eldar craftworld?

I say it the same way you say Jessica Biel. Bee-ell tan.

Tzeench is pronounced Zeench

Chimera is Ky-mere-ah

Roboute Guillaman is Rob-out Jewel-ah-man

Tyranid is Teer-ah-nid

Least ways, that's how I pronounce them

Can't think of any other tricky ones off the top of my head.

themandalorian
25-11-2007, 20:09
I thought it was Day Mun

Industrial Propaganda
25-11-2007, 20:47
French and german prononce it Day-Mon

Ian Argent
25-11-2007, 21:55
long e - homonym of demon.

IE - the same way the AE dipthong is pronounced in Encyclopaedia... (or Paediatric, for that matter) - US spells them demon, encyclopedia, and pediatric - UK spells them daemon, encyclopaedia, and paediatric, no? (Or did at one point, anyway).

Askari
25-11-2007, 22:00
I say it the same way you say Jessica Biel. Bee-ell tan.

Tzeench is pronounced Zeench

Chimera is Ky-mere-ah

Roboute Guillaman is Rob-out Jewel-ah-man

Tyranid is Teer-ah-nid

Least ways, that's how I pronounce them

Can't think of any other tricky ones off the top of my head.

I pronounce the T in Tzeentch
And I say "Gwill-eh-man" for ole Roboute.

TitusAndronicus
25-11-2007, 22:33
æ
the ash, an early English ligature representing a vowel sound like that of a in modern bad. The long ǣ continued in use until about 1250, but was finally replaced by e. The short æ was given up by 1150, being replaced usually by a but sometimes by e.

There you go.
Sounds like its really Dah-mon.

Perhaps that sounded too Jamaican :P

Anyhow, since it was replaced by the E its now Demon despite being Daemon. At least thats the case if the AE in daemon is actually the combined form. If its not its Day-mon

Erm...Are you the kid who sits in the front of the class waving his hand?
It depends, btw, on what kind of French you are speaking with Roboute Guillaman. In South Luisiana it would be Roboot Gillman or Guyman. Depends.

Son of Russ
25-11-2007, 23:21
I pronounce it Demon but I prefer Daemon spelling.

And I pronounce Tyranid as Tyran Id. Teer-ah-nid sounds wrong to me but to each their own, eh?

Askari
26-11-2007, 00:04
It depends, btw, on what kind of French you are speaking with Roboute Guillaman. In South Luisiana it would be Roboot Gillman or Guyman. Depends.

I'm speaking English.
So neither :P

catbarf
26-11-2007, 00:16
Would you pronounce haemorrhage as hay-mor-idge? Daemon is meant, AFAIK, to be pronounced the same as demon.

I got it on pretty good authority that Tyranid is pronounced like Tyrannosaurus. It is very intentional (Tyranids were supposed to be space dinosaurs before GW went stupid and made them bugs).

TitusAndronicus
27-11-2007, 19:24
I'm speaking English.
So neither :P

Well if you would learn cajun French we wouldn't be having this problem, now would we?:D

StefDa
27-11-2007, 19:56
It is pronounced "dee-mon", or like "demon". I talked it over with my English teacher (a very skilled one, I must say), and we checked ALD together (Advanced Learner's Dictionary, sort of an English-English dictionary). I'm sorry I don't have it with me here, but if I remember it, I'll check it at school tomorrow, and see if I canpost the phonetics here.

Cirenivel
27-11-2007, 20:01
Yeah. It's either "dee-mon" or "dæmon".
I prefer the first option really, as "dæmon" sounds kinda silly (with a nordic pronunciation, mind you)

Cirenivel