PDA

View Full Version : New computer

skott4991
25-11-2007, 11:14
Right so im looking to buy a new computer and i know less than nothing about them, so i am orced to seek te aid of any of the kind souls on warseer that do.

Im mainly after one for gaming so ill want a large hard drive, good video/graphics cards and a fair bit of RAM (?).

Does anyone have any recomendations?

Thanks.

Edit - was thinking of this one (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/desktops_better?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1) thye inspiron 531 (third one across), does any one have any experience with dell or this line of computors, Anygood?

Thanks again.

slaaneshes_own
25-11-2007, 19:51
If you want a gaming PC, you'll need a budget - and you'll need to stick to it as de-preciation can be a big factor - cause if you buy a whizzo system and then have to sell bits of it off later down the line cause you went over your budget - you may be in for a nasty surprise.

Whilst I have had no experience with Dell machines, I know many people have nothing but good things to say, whilst there are those of the community will say nothing but bad things about them. I have only seen other people with Dell machines. They have nothing bad to say about them until they mess up the machine, and then they curse Dell's name like nothing on Earth! At which point I point out that it was in fact their fault their machines are knackered and fun ensues.

Anyway, if you have a rough idea of how much money you have to spend on your machine, that will give us a bit more of a chance, rather than telling you to look at this (http://www.vadim.co.uk/Custom%20PC%20Build/Cepheus) computer which is in all likeliness way out of your price range.

Given you've pointed us at Dell, and the price of the Inspiron 531, I shall for a moment assume that you have a budget of somewhere approaching Ģ500/550.

Making that sweeping assumption may I recommend you look at a slightly tweaked system along the lines of this (http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=D4XENT03&l=en&oc=D115110&rbc=D115110&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3).

If anybody notices any major flaws in the system I've suggested, then please tell me/change them and repost a link.

Joe

Penitent
25-11-2007, 20:24
A few questions in addition to budget: what kind of games do you hope to run, and how well do you hope to run them? The system you selected, even with the upgraded graphics card options (for example), will run most current, new games, but not at the highest graphics settings. That may or may not be a problem for you, but its good to know what you're gonna get.

Also, the current ideal processors for gaming are the intel core chips, rather than the Athlons.

On Dells: they aren't that bad, but you have to have reasonable expectations. Run-of-the-mill Dells aren't ideal for gaming, especially high-end gaming. Namely, they aren't equipped with power supplies capable of handling the requirements of higher-end components. I know this from experience: years ago, when I was more ignorant of computers, I purchased a lower-end Dell without a graphics card, with the intent of putting in a good graphics card later. The power supply was insufficient for the card, and that caused all sorts of problems.

There's also all that useless Dell software that comes pre-installed.

Whenever someone who doesn't have the know-how to build their own PC asks me for gaming PC advice, I typically point them to Alienware. They can be expensive, but nowadays they can also be affordable, and IMO if you can't build your own PC they do a quality job.

slaaneshes_own
25-11-2007, 20:47
OMG, Alienware - I haven't looked at one of those things since about 2001/2002! I have since seen the joys of custom-building machines, and have been inspired by such machines as Orac3 (http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/06/09/orac3_part5/1) and Dark Blade (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=76374)...

:)

Joe

koppo
25-11-2007, 22:00
Figure your budget out first. If you are not wanting to build the system yourself (and if you know screw all about PCs then you'll end up wasting time and money if you do) then go for a pre-built system. Scan (www.scan.co.uk) do some good bundles.

Stay away from dell, they use cheap parts that fail. We use them at work and they are forever getting swapped out because of hardware failure.

Steel_Legion
25-11-2007, 22:25
Scan are nice n cheap, but there returns is the pits... still waiting on my RAM to be tested, its been 8days...

Calgar
25-11-2007, 22:36
Figure your budget out first. If you are not wanting to build the system yourself (and if you know screw all about PCs then you'll end up wasting time and money if you do) then go for a pre-built system. Scan (www.scan.co.uk) do some good bundles.

Stay away from dell, they use cheap parts that fail. We use them at work and they are forever getting swapped out because of hardware failure.

I'm recommending Dell since they have a great customer service, decent prices and good quality. I bought my computer from dell where you can add the parts you want. Everything from placing my order, receiving my computer and using it has gone like clockwork whit no part swapping and no hardware failure what so ever!

I have the Dell Dimension 9200 Quad Core Intel VIIV / 2048 RAM Nvidia 8600GT / running on windows XP . etc. etc.

( No...im not on Dellīs payroll)