PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Unit?

marneus54
25-11-2007, 18:19
This is a thread to hail all the strong immortal units is WHFB. Post the name of the unit, points, special stuff. And if you have a fun story to go with it please share it. This is by no means a thread to bash on the khornate chaos warriors or anyone elses uber unit.

My unit A dwarf lord on sheild bearers with the runes Master runes of skalf blackhammer and spite, and a rune of stone. 298 points
He is with 18 ironbreakers with full command and a rune of courage. 284 points

During a mega battle against 3k points of ogres and 2500 points of chaos demons. They smashed through 2 units of ogres with a sorcerer in each a unit of furies, a unit of pleageubeares finally to come to the deamon prince who poofed after the first round of combat. Total killed around 700 or so points. They took 4 casualties through the whole battle and the lord was killed in a duel by the ogre warlord. Fun stuff though.

brambleten
25-11-2007, 19:35
my strongest unit (well, character, really)
saurus scar vet, tooled up as a JSoD (Jaguar Saurus of Doom) for 178 points.

in a 1k campaign, he got hit with a cannonball, takin him down to 1 wound. after the rest of my army had been killed, he alone destroyed my empire opponents remaining 600 -700 points, including 25 spears, 2 cannons, handgunners, and IC knights. my most successful general.

marneus54
25-11-2007, 19:40
Nice Lizardmen lords and heroes are rock solid and damn hard to kill. Nice job though.

brambleten
25-11-2007, 20:37
the only unfortunate bit about the hitty lizard characters is that they eat your points, so you only take one, then a couple of mages, unless you field a fling skink anti warmachine thing.
annother strong unit form me is my 16 strong PG. i stick my archmage and my BSB with banner of battle in there, to make it 18, and i then proceed to march forwards, causing fear, and blasting things. 4+ ward saves are so useful if you actually want things to get to the opposing side of the dwarf gunline

W0lf
25-11-2007, 22:26
5 chosen Knights,
Standard, Musician, warbanner, mark of Tzeentch
300 pts.

W/

Exalted Champion
Mark of zeentch, Barded steed, halberd.
190 pts.

Breaks everything and anything.

marneus54
25-11-2007, 22:53
5 chosen Knights,
Standard, Musician, warbanner, mark of Tzeentch
300 pts.

W/

Exalted Champion
Mark of zeentch, Barded steed, halberd.
190 pts.

Breaks everything and anything.

They are mighty, but i've seen them die to one turn of good shooting. That's their only problem. They die to shooting.

Alti Elfi
26-11-2007, 02:25
A unit of 13 White Lions beating a combined charge by a cold one chariot and Highborn on Dragon, granted he won the first couple of rounds, grinding the white lions down to about 7 strong, on the last turn he rolled poorly with his dragon, lost the combat and fled.

stashman
26-11-2007, 02:39
I will field this in my next battle.

30 Black Orcs
Full Command, Shield and Gork's Waaagh Banner (483 pts)

with

Black Orc B.S.B
Shagas Screamin Sword (164)

I will try out to go for tha opponents general unit a.s.a.p.

I keep you updated how it went.

SlaaneshSlave
26-11-2007, 02:43
6 Chosen Knights of Slaanesh w/Rapturous Banner
390 points

Enemies need 5's to hit me.
My horses hit on 3's.

Just madness.

stevenr1230
26-11-2007, 04:11
200 night goblins
not sure under new army book but 400 pts in the old one
With a black orc Big boss

480pts total
lets see anyone take on 201 models even if they are goblins :)

marneus54
26-11-2007, 04:59
Whats the night gobbos leadership mate? One or 2 fear causing units and poof good bye 40-80 night gobbos.

chivalrous
26-11-2007, 05:34
Laugh if you will, but I'm going to stick with a unit of 5-6 Dark Riders with a Musician and Standard.
Their strength is in their subtlety. On their own they can't do anything much, but they're fast and manoeuvrable enough to put into the side of most combat and swing the balance in favour of the Dark Elves.
and the thing is, they don't tend to get shot at because there are larger, scarier Dark Elf Units on the table that take all the flak.

They're even better when accompanied by a Noble with the Blade of Ruin, even Ironbreakers tend to run away from that one.

R Man
26-11-2007, 09:52
13 Knights of the Realm with full command and a warbanner. Add a Lord and a Battle Standard with the Banner of the Lady and the Virtue of Duty.

Generally this will have about 8 Combat Resolution plus casualties caused. It will eat up any opposing unit it gets into combat with and can even kill off Unbreakable or stubbon units due to weight of attacks.

However you might at well paint a bullseye on the banner because it's over 700 points waiting to be hit by every cannon, mortar, handgunner, organ gun and Hellblaster volley gun in the enemy army. And it can only attack one thing at a time. And while Leadership 9 is pretty good it's not great for the investment so anything that causes fear/terror or even panic from things like flame cannons can be very damaging.

stevenr1230
26-11-2007, 11:14
about the night gobbos they might have bad ladership but whats more entertaining than a huge block of goblins running around crazy

ps: i dont play warhammer seriously im more of a funny situation player than a winning player

T10
26-11-2007, 11:33
Oooh! Aaaah!

-T10

logan054
26-11-2007, 11:38
how about a unit of 10 dragon ogres with great weapons and light armour? well sure it only has +1 combat res still it does have unit strength 30 and 15 strength 7 attacks to the front, only about 800pts, not bad hey? (or silly like the bret knight unit ;) )

All you need to do is shoot it with a lightning attack and you away!

oh i have another one 8 chosen knights of khorne + banner of rage + chaos lord with great fang and chaos runeshield + BSB with Warbanner? hwy not just be silly and make the unit 18 strong!

Dranthar
26-11-2007, 12:49
Unit of 2 snotling bases - 40

If someone really wants to take 400+ points of uberdeath I'd say let them. I'll happily counter it by just swamping it with snotlings, forcing you to kill one unit at a time while the survivors claim table quaters. :D

Briohmar
26-11-2007, 13:12
6 Chosen Knights of Slaanesh w/Rapturous Banner
390 points

Enemies need 5's to hit me.
My horses hit on 3's.

Just madness.

Cast luxurious torment on them and just let 'em go wild, I Do. d6 S3 hits per turn doesn't hurt much at all. By the way I only use 5 and an exalted with Berserker sword on steed. On avarage I get 23 S5 attacks hitting on 3's and 12 S4 attacks also hitting on 3's. I have also, just to add insult to injury hit my opponent with Enrapturing spasms. With this combination most units are reduced to dust on the charge.

Ward.
26-11-2007, 14:05
marneus54: He said with a black orc leading it.

I think the nastiest unit I could play is the fully ranked unit of ironguts with a tyrant tooled for death infliction. (siege breaker, wallcrusher, giant breaker, equals 5 strength 9 attacks, plus two strength nine impact hits, the ironguts deliver 16 strength 6 attacks with full command and 4 strength 8 impact hits. But you only get what you pay for.

Coragus
26-11-2007, 14:12
I don't have the army book in front of me so I can't post the points, but the absolute best killing machine in the game is Chosen Chaos knights with the mark of Khorne. The only consistent thing I can throw against them is a cannon ball.

txamil
26-11-2007, 17:45
EarthShaker!

marneus54
26-11-2007, 20:50
marneus54: He said with a black orc leading it.

O yes right...haha missed that one.
Khorne knights are evil. But just shoot them and they are nothing. But in combat...:eek: eek

Malorian
26-11-2007, 21:15
The strongest unit I ever field I only do at the 5000 point level with my orgres:

Tyrant w/ great weapon, heavy armor, deamon scars
ASB Bruiser w/ sword of might, jade lion
10 bulls w/ iron fists, light armor, full command and war banner

Basically to go from 4000 to 5000 I just add this unit ; ) It just runs around and kills whatever I want. Even if I get charged I always end up on top.

The rest of my 4000 just has to deal with the fact that I'm very outnumbered...

mistermaster
26-11-2007, 21:54
In my last battle against High Elves:

25 night goblins with a boss equipped with the (have no idea how is it called in english) stone of anger. The one that causes S6 1d6 hits to all units if the goblin is killed.

The unit was charged by a lord on dragon (the biggest). The dragon had 4 wounds caused by spearchukkas and fanatics and the lord had 2 wounds remaining.

They passed the Ld test and issued a challenge (i lost of course) and the lord was killed and i WON AGAINST THE DRAGON AND HE FAILED THE LD TEST AND WAS PURSUED AND KILLED.

That was my best battle ever. And just about 105 for the goblins and 50 for the hero!!

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 06:48
I am sorry but this is all very very weak. I have faced each of these units and killed them with great ease. I present to you the unit that none in my gaming area ever wish to take on, and all flee from it.
Tomb Kings
Tomb King Destroyer of Eternities, Vambrace of the Sun, 6+ ward save.
24 Tomb Guard full command Icon of Rakaph.

This unit is deadly for 2 reasons, the DOE hits automaticaly and has KB plus the bennie of being ST7. The unit itself can be healed, so it never truly loose combat capacity lastly the Icon for those who don't know, allows for free reform before charges are declared. The unit has a 360 degree charge arc, and will almost always break anything that goes against it.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 07:29
I'd like to see that unit against my Ironwall. It's in the OP. Should be a good fight, as i go first almost always pass armor saves and can dish out quite alot of hits. Although I've played against tomb guard and they are tougher then nails.

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 07:40
Since I am curious as to how this goes. Break down to me what your runes do and what banner your unit carries.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 07:43
My dwarf lord (on sheildbearers) always strikes first with 5 WS 6 Str 6 hits. Then the unit with 3 in the front(5 lord takes 2 spots) 4 WS 4 Str 4 hits. They never run due to the rune of courage banner. And they all hav armor 2+ lord has 1+ with 4+ invuln.

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 08:12
What are the exact rules on the courage banner?

marneus54
27-11-2007, 08:13
They count as fearless.

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 08:22
unbreakable you mean?

marneus54
27-11-2007, 08:25
Yeah I think, been a long time since I've played with 'em or even touched my book for that matter. And I've been in the 40k forums for a while so fearless would in a way equate to unbreakable. For 400 points they are one solid unit that really gets into peoples heads and starts doing some damage.

WLBjork
27-11-2007, 08:27
My dwarf lord (on sheildbearers) always strikes first with 5 WS 6 Str 6 hits. Then the unit with 3 in the front(5 lord takes 2 spots) 4 WS 4 Str 4 hits. They never run due to the rune of courage banner. And they all hav armor 2+ lord has 1+ with 4+ invuln.

Your Lord only strikes at S6 if his opponent is T4.

And IMO, that unit is fairly fragile - if it loses a combat by 4 or more, it is likely to break, and as Dwarfs are slow, get run down.

Now, that Lord in a regiment of Hammerers is much more reliable.Without buying any runes, they are already Stubborn and Immune to Fear and Terror. This then allows me to take the Runes of Battle and Stoicism. Just for good measure, I also tend to include the BSB.

Pumps the price up, but at the end of it you're left with a regiment containing 2 characters that is 1 step away from actually being unbreakable (and with the runes/size I usually take, a static CR of 9 :D)

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 08:28
This banner cost little enough that you can take it on a banner bearer and not need a Battle Standered Banner? Just trying get a clear picture of this.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 08:31
Tomb gaurd are T4. And that's what the rune of courage does!! They are immune to fear and terror. Haha I don't have my book in front of me and I was trying to figure out what it does. I don't like hammerers for one reason...no armor. I think they die to quickly in CC and can't protect their lord as well as a walking can of metal.

Edit: yes the banner is only 50 points, that's the limit on what the unit can take. This would protect me from running if you out number me and you win combat as i dont fear you.

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 08:37
Now that I know what banners do what, and have things figured out. I will say this with confidence, that my unit will break your and run it down. WLBJork made a good comment, making the unit stubborn will help alot. Given your slow speed, my ability to freely reform, I will be able to charge in where I want, greatly increasing my odds of getting a flank attack off. The 4+ ward save is good but its not good enough, as it gives you a 50/50 of making (or failing) a ward save against a KB. Rember all tomb guard have KB. Sure you wont run from my fear, but I have confidence in my ability to score a KB or two on your lord with the DOE.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 08:41
Well played, I forgot that ALL tomb gaurd have KB. What's their initiative? I would most likely challenge your lord and would most likely win. Not being cocky. But i think my ironbreakers armor might hold out even at 3+ due to modifiers. Whats your save also? Cause if I kill your lord in a challenge he'll be fighting your unit next turn and 3+ armor gets reduced to 6+ with him.

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 08:50
Inv 3. Also the odds of your lord killing mine are unlikely. You have 6 attacks right? At st6? Due to my gear I will be removing one of your attacks. You will hit on 4+, and wound on 3+. I will save on 6+ ward, if I get a magic phase in I will more than likely kill your lord out right. Rember I will hit you automatic and wound you on 2+ with possible KB. Now mind you if I get a magic phase off, I can get a possible 4 hits on you with my lord. Also if I get a magic phase off many of my tomb guard will direct there attacks to your lord. IE I will rain as many KB on you per turn as I possible can.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 08:54
6+ ward save isn't easy to make. And my lord always goes first(rune of swiftness). Your other guys can't attack him, the same as my men can't attack your lord. We will be in a challenge. How can you hit me automatically?
And I don't know if you can magic some one that's in CC.

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 09:01
The 6+ gives me the edge I need. As for hitting you with others, sure you can issue a challenge, but in the magic phase I can direct my lords attacks plus all models in base to base with you to strike you. After that we will be in hand to hand, my lord can swing 4 times and hit on 3+ and wound on 2+ with KB or I can just hit you with out rolling and roll to wound you twice. Both of those attacks will also wound on 2+ and have KB. Odds are not in your favor if I get a magic phase off.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 09:05
And my 4+ ward save doesnt give me the egde? And whe i issue the challenge both models are removed from their respective spots and placed aside so it's one on one. They will be in base to base with no one but each other. Please make how you can auto hit me a bit more clear.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
27-11-2007, 09:45
5 Savage Orc Boar Boy with spears and shields and full command with the banner of butchery with a Savage Warboss on boar with the kickin' boots, akkrit axe, boss 'at and an enchanted shield with light armor.

I've also had great success with the gobbo great shaman with horn of urgok and staff of baduum on a wolf with 5 wolf boyz with bows.

Revlid
27-11-2007, 11:20
And my 4+ ward save doesnt give me the egde? And whe i issue the challenge both models are removed from their respective spots and placed aside so it's one on one. They will be in base to base with no one but each other. Please make how you can auto hit me a bit more clear.

The Destroyer of Eternities allows him to make 2 Auto-Hits on you at Strength 6 with Killing Blow.

The Tomb Kings win in my mind purely because of the Icon Of Rakaph. One-on-one and with it they're almost guaranteed a Flank Charge, and then your unit is utterly boned.

How in the hell does your Lord have 6 S6 Attacks that Strike First? He has 2 S4 attacks from the Shieldbearers, and then 4 Strength 4 Autowounding Attacks from himself that strike in initiative order.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 13:06
The Destroyer of Eternities allows him to make 2 Auto-Hits on you at Strength 6 with Killing Blow.

The Tomb Kings win in my mind purely because of the Icon Of Rakaph. One-on-one and with it they're almost guaranteed a Flank Charge, and then your unit is utterly boned.

How in the hell does your Lord have 6 S6 Attacks that Strike First? He has 2 S4 attacks from the Shieldbearers, and then 4 Strength 4 Autowounding Attacks from himself that strike in initiative order.

Yes sorry that would be a major part of it. He has 4 WS 6 Str 6 attacks and the other 2 are from his bearers. Wow i can't beleive I missed that. He would have a stronger chance at winning, but hey it's all about the dice.

LaFave
27-11-2007, 13:17
High Elf Swordmasters. 20 guys with the War Banner.

I went through 2 units of 20 Black Orcs. Killed 7 out of 11 attacks each time and I only charged one of them ;)

Revlid
27-11-2007, 13:17
Yes sorry that would be a major part of it. He has 4 WS 6 Str 6 attacks and the other 2 are from his bearers. Wow i can't beleive I missed that. He would have a stronger chance at winning, but hey it's all about the dice.

No, no, no.

Your Lord has 4 Attacks. These are at Strength 4, Weapon Skill 6. These Auto-wound due to The Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer. They are not Strength, nor do they Strike First.
He then has 2 Additional Attacks at Weaponskill 5, Strength 4, from his Shieldbearers.

Most Mathhammer has the Ironbreakers being beaten by the Tomb Guard - the Destroyer of Eternities is just too good against them.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 13:26
Ok I'll go with what you said, haha. I haven't played dwaves for so long. I just have the list and a vague idea of what the runes do. Thanks for the clarification.

leo_neil316
27-11-2007, 15:08

Okay just a few points.

Firstly, dwarf lords are weapon skill 7.

Master rune of skalf blackhammer increases your strength until you wound on a 2+. He can't have swiftness and skalf blackhammer, you can only have one master rune of each type. He also can't have skalf blackhammer, a rune of stone, the rune of spite and anything else since those three are his 125 points by themselves.

A dwarf lord on shieldbearers is a unit strength three model on a 40mm base, the only thing that can killing blow him that I can think of is throq the unclean.

Oh and My guy runs with master rune of spite (4+w) rune of the furnace (immune to fire) Master rune of kragg the grimm (my great weapon is now magic) rune of stone and these days master rune of admant (+1t). 290 odd points.

Runs around with his fifteen hammerers (I really need another five) with stoicism and battle on the banner, army battle standard bearer (with master rune of gomril, rune of resistance and rune of preservation).

Comes to around 600 points total, and while it never looses fights it occasionally does silly things (like when they broke through this skaven guys lines while everything else in both armies was still fighting, except all of his guns of course, which they ended up in line of sight and range of all of. Oh and it was his turn).

Malorian
27-11-2007, 16:44
I still would bet on my super ogre unit beating that TK unit. (Then again, I secretly hate TK...)

WusteGeist
27-11-2007, 19:28

What is 5+2? My lord is st5 the DOE is a great weapon which adds 2 to my St. I hit twice with 2 st7 hits, and thats in the combat phase. Before that in magic I have 4 models that can hit him. Also just fyi, you no longer remove models from combat the two just strike each other.

Frecus
27-11-2007, 20:05
On the note of undead units, a unit of skeletons like this:
20 skeletons, full command, lead by:
1 lvl 2 necromancer with the book and a scroll
1 lvl 3 vampire lady with a 5+ ward, first strike and a sword of might
can HURT.

The lady will slowly eat any unit, while the cmbined might of the lady & necro will keep the unit going. Granted the unit has otherwise only 3 S3 attacks, 2 of which are WS2, but who cares? You don't even really need them 'cause your lady will eat up anything that isn't a 300+ pts character, and even those should watch out.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

marneus54
27-11-2007, 21:10

Okay just a few points.

Master rune of skalf blackhammer increases your strength until you wound on a 2+. He can't have swiftness and skalf blackhammer, you can only have one master rune of each type. He also can't have skalf blackhammer, a rune of stone, the rune of spite and anything else since those three are his 125 points by themselves.

A dwarf lord on shieldbearers is a unit strength three model on a 40mm base, the only thing that can killing blow him that I can think of is throq the unclean.
Yeah I found my book and made a new guy. Sheildbearers, M.R. of swiftness(goes first), Rune of might(double Str versus T5), Rune of fury +1 Atk.Rune of stone +1 armor save (1+) and master rune of spite (4+ invlun save).

So total i get 5 str 4(8 if against his tomg king) WS 7 hits. Sheildbearers get 2 WS 5 Str 4 hits. His lord would die first round of combat with a invlun save of 6.

Revlid
27-11-2007, 21:12

Master rune of skalf blackhammer increases your strength until you wound on a 2+.

Sorry, silly mistakes there. Although in my defense Auto-wound isn't that far from wounding on a 2+...

What is 5+2? My lord is st5 the DOE is a great weapon which adds 2 to my St. I hit twice with 2 st7 hits, and thats in the combat phase. Before that in magic I have 4 models that can hit him. Also just fyi, you no longer remove models from combat the two just strike each other.

Again, a silly mistake leftover from the other talk of Strength 6.
On the other hand, I have no idea what you're talking about in the last sentence. If you kill someone they can't attack. Thems the rules, and the point of Initiative.

themandudeperson
27-11-2007, 21:15
Grey Seer Thanquol on a Screaming Bell+ 23 stormvermin with full command + warlord with warpstone armor, warpstone amulet and desolate blade. Plenty of killiness.. too bad it's over 1200 pts O_O'

marneus54
27-11-2007, 21:21
Grey Seer Thanquol on a Screaming Bell+ 23 stormvermin with full command + warlord with warpstone armor, warpstone amulet and desolate blade. Plenty of killiness.. too bad it's over 1200 pts O_O'

WOW 1200 points. Would be a shame to lose it to the weakest most pethetic unit ever...nogblars(CURSE YOU!!)

galenus
28-11-2007, 17:49
I don't like hammerers for one reason...no armor. I think they die to quickly in CC and can't protect their lord as well as a walking can of metal.

Hammerers using HW+Shield instead of their GWs are the equivalent of Ironbreakers with Stubborn and a 3+ AS.

W0lf
28-11-2007, 18:06
chaos warriors!

(yes its a bad joke.)

Rattlehead
28-11-2007, 21:41
Well the Tomb King could have the collar of shapesh and the destroyer of eternities?
with this he has 4+ ward save, WS6 and T5 = very hard to kill. Beeing in a Tomb Guard unit of 24 (which will be revived through out the game) with icon of rakaph, they'll probably destroy everything in their way?

I mean.. just think about the name of his weapon.. "The Destroyer of Eternities" Makes you tremble don't it? ;)

guillaume
28-11-2007, 22:02
the problem with this thread is that it doesnt have a limit. ie what would be interesting to know is what is the best unit per point value.

Otherwise, anything are great units. Indeed someone said 200 gobbos. Well that is a great unit indeed. I would imagine that the Greater daemons are pretty awesome too.

Best unit + best character is generally going to mean best unit.

Now if we compare points inputed to points outputed: ie it cost me 500 to put a khorne unit of 6 knights with banner and it kills on average 1000pts, that is far less than a tooled up Jaguars scar veteran of doom at 187pts which deals 500pts of damage. Now the SV is doing 2.6pts of damage for each point it cost, whereas the knights do 2pts of damage per cost points.

That would give a better idea of which unit is the best.

Otherwise, if i had to say something, I'd say a unit of 30 lizardmen temple guard and the Venerable lord kroak in the middle. 1840pts, but i'd like to see anyone shift that unit!

Also, I'd say a tooled up Bretoninan lord on a pegasus within a unit of pegasus knights! fly my pretties: at 450pts, they give a heck of a shock on the charge.

Still, the best units still remain 3 orges mounted on Bull rhinox, with full command and a war banner. At 540 pts this beauty has the possibility of doing 9 attacks st6 impact hits, followed by 12 attacks WS 4 at St6 followed by 9 attacks st 4 at WS 3, and these boys weight at a massive 18 Unit strength. As they cause terror, and they are likely to win combat, because of their unit strength, your opponenent are likely to flee, and you pursue 3D6.

Very unwieldy unit, but probably one of the hardest unit when it charges

Sedekiel
28-11-2007, 22:03
Blood Dragon Vampire Lord (Red Fury, Heart piercing, Strength of steel, Master strike) on Zombie Dragon.

This is a terror causing unit that stikes with 4 Str 6 attacks (Dragon) and 6 re-rollable Ws 10 , Str 8 Attacks with KB on the Charge.

Have a nice day...

Cheers fdr

marneus54
28-11-2007, 22:10
Blood Dragon Vampire Lord (Red Fury, Heart piercing, Strength of steel, Master strike) on Zombie Dragon.

This is a terror causing unit that stikes with 4 Str 6 attacks (Dragon) and 6 re-rollable Ws 10 , Str 8 Attacks with KB on the Charge.

Have a nice day...

Cheers fdr
:eek::eek:
I need to go change my pants

txamil
28-11-2007, 23:58

Have a nice day...

Cheers fdr

Why did you ruin all the fun? Bully.

Makaber
29-11-2007, 01:30
One million Black Guards. You can't break them and you have to kill 500.001 to get any victory points.

CHOOBER SNIPES
29-11-2007, 02:43
@Makaber
U can break them, on ur unlucky dice roll theyre only stubborn.
@everyone else
How about a unit of horses. If i could take elven steeds and bretonnian pegasus without riders i would if they cost less. Once, i had my prince in a challenge with a dragon riding enemy lord. I killed the lord on the charge with my starlance, and my horse wounded the dragon a total of 4 times over the course of 4 turns, it was a little scary. also, once my unit of DP's hit a unit in the flank and killed it, overran into another, and another, for a total of 3 blocks dead. The DP's killed 6 ppl, and the horses killed 12. another scary horse moment. Also, once my bretonnians were charging a unit of chosen chaos knights. then from behind my pegasus knights charged. first turn i was subject to rubber lance syndrome so i killed one (combined with a kill from my uber sniper peasant bowmen left the enemies at 3 strong). they butchered 2 pegasus knights back. the chaos knights rolled insane courage and stayed. next turn, they killed one knight and caused one wound on the pegasus knight. my angry animals beat up the remaining knights, the pegasus bashing in 2 skulls and the 2 other horses combined and mauled the last dude. It was all gory and bludgeony and stuff. yummy. SO my unit would be a unit of 20 horses w/ HW&S and hvy. armor, and warbanner, in a 5X4 formation. mayb great weapons too if i had the points

Just Tony
29-11-2007, 03:07
Okay, strongest unit all depends on its uses. For instance, Black Knights as either a speedbump or a single unit on single unit match up are average if not better. BUT if you have the unit engaged to the front with Zombies or whatnot and hit the unit in the flank with ten Black Knights, then they become MUCH better.

But for arguments sake, I'd say Chaos Warriors, pretty much any flavor. Sure they're as pricy as Saurus, but you get WS5 S4 T4 and a 5+ without any upgrades. Given a shield for one point, they now become 3+ in hand to hand, and damn near unbudgable. Like any unit, they can be taken down with any sort of artistic flank turning. But on a head to head with any other core infantry, they win hands down. Better to hit, better save, and if they're marked? God help you...

I may be the only one who actually values these troops, but I've had them perform consistently well in every game I've used them in. And I play Tzeentch. They can usually hold their own in hth, and if I manage to get a supporting unit to flank? It's all over.

chivalrous
29-11-2007, 03:11

WOW 1200 points. Would be a shame to lose it to the weakest most pethetic unit ever...nogblars(CURSE YOU!!)

What's the leadership on that skaven unit? Are they stubborn or unbreakable?

If not, a unit of 5-6 Dark Riders with a standard could hit that in the flank and sent it fleeing for just 104-122 points. It'd be even easier if they had a character riding with them.

Malorian
29-11-2007, 06:42
So much for my super unit... it got run down and killed by kurt helberg and a large unit of knights today... : (

Veshnakar
29-11-2007, 08:27
Give it a break guys, this thread is already screaming "My dad could beat up your dad."

Seriously though.. as to the nastiest unit I have faced, I would have to give that prize to 7th edition swordmasters deployed 7 wide including a prince on foot with I think the white sword, talisman of loec and champion in the front rank with the war banner. It's a downright crime against combat oriented dark elves.

As to my most hated units, it would go to in order from most hated to least.
-Pre-7th edition ratling guns
-Mounted Daemonettes
-Mounted Daemonettes
-Wood Elf Waywatchers
-Jaguar Saurus and Alter noble

There is no such thing as a strongest unit.

Sauron90
29-11-2007, 12:55
My Forest Dragon he havent died once counting the whole 6th and 7th edition. Though his rider has been slain somethimes (Puny elf).

L192837465
29-11-2007, 15:50
@Makaber
U can break them, on ur unlucky dice roll theyre only stubborn.
@everyone else
How about a unit of horses. If i could take elven steeds and bretonnian pegasus without riders i would if they cost less. Once, i had my prince in a challenge with a dragon riding enemy lord. I killed the lord on the charge with my starlance, and my horse wounded the dragon a total of 4 times over the course of 4 turns, it was a little scary. also, once my unit of DP's hit a unit in the flank and killed it, overran into another, and another, for a total of 3 blocks dead. The DP's killed 6 ppl, and the horses killed 12. another scary horse moment. Also, once my bretonnians were charging a unit of chosen chaos knights. then from behind my pegasus knights charged. first turn i was subject to rubber lance syndrome so i killed one (combined with a kill from my uber sniper peasant bowmen left the enemies at 3 strong). they butchered 2 pegasus knights back. the chaos knights rolled insane courage and stayed. next turn, they killed one knight and caused one wound on the pegasus knight. my angry animals beat up the remaining knights, the pegasus bashing in 2 skulls and the 2 other horses combined and mauled the last dude. It was all gory and bludgeony and stuff. yummy. SO my unit would be a unit of 20 horses w/ HW&S and hvy. armor, and warbanner, in a 5X4 formation. mayb great weapons too if i had the points

to quote... some dude who thought of this:
"it is my undoubted belief that the only reason theres a night on a horse is to give the horse an armour save"

i want Chaos Steeds riding Chaos Steeds. really. 10 points? I'd have 150 +a hero. I'd win every time.

Dwarf Runelord 45
20-12-2007, 00:22
Skaven slaves..... haha just kidding they did win me a battle though... However my vote goes to Ironbreakers 2+ save and WS5 and awsome leadership all for almost 10 points each! Just way too cool! :p