PDA

View Full Version : fire prism accuracy

redyellowpinkgreen
25-11-2007, 18:09
i noticed today that i fire prism is BS4 while a falcon (and all other eldar vehichles) are BS3. is there a fluff reason for this that i'm not aware of or is it neccessary from a rules point of view?

Eulenspiegel
25-11-2007, 18:17
Game balance, it was BS 3 before, and a pretty weak HS - choice therefore.
A "logical" fluff explaination may or may not have been attempted ("Superior targetting bla bla").

Bloodknight
25-11-2007, 18:20
I think so, too. It's no real background reason, just for playability's sake.

Killgore
25-11-2007, 18:32
the fire prism is a single weapon 1 hit wondershot vehicle

a falcon is a multishot vehicle that does not rely on a single shot to destroy its target, so obviously more targetting equipment would be required on a fireprism

Griffty
25-11-2007, 19:01
Killgore has got the in game reasons down pretty pat - it was a stat tweak to make the thing a viable choice.

In terms of fluff - look at the thing, you'd need some pretty advanced targeting gear to aim and operate a giant crystal weapon strapped onto the side of your pretty floaty tank.

MrPickles
25-11-2007, 19:04
Probably because the prism is the most advanced laser weapon in the 40k universe.

The pestilent 1
25-11-2007, 19:19
Probably because the prism is the most advanced laser weapon in the 40k universe.

I'd still rather have a Lance myself.
(Which is, admittedly, just a REALLY big Lascannon)

elvinltl
28-11-2007, 13:09
Imagine several FirePrisims linking their laser beams in a spectecular display of Laser Light.

Drasriath
30-11-2007, 10:46
They do have different do-hickies on top of the turret and under the fuselage. Perhaps those represent a better targetting system. I know if I had a tank I was designing to be based around a single weapon system, I would make DAMN sure that weapon system was accurate.

Direhamster
30-11-2007, 12:20
isn't that so, they are being pilotted by the most experienced tank crews, due to being so powerfull and relatively rare?

I can't recall where I heard it, but it seems pretty logical, however it does not conrtradict "advanced trageting system" approach.

Cheers

Direhamster

Elanthanis
01-12-2007, 04:55
In second edition they naturally came with the crystal targeting matrix, which was turned into an upgrade in third edition. In fact, they were the original anti-air vehicle in epic if I remember correctly before the Firestorm came out. It used to be that a Prism canon didn't take any penalties for the speed of the target thanks to the matrix.

Iracundus
01-12-2007, 06:04
You've got your Epic chronology a bit mixed up. The Firestorm came out in the closing days of the 2nd ed. Epic/Titan Legion system. With the new edition of Epic, they didn't include the Firestorm so had to shoehorn the Fire Prism (previously the Deathstalker Prism Cannon in 2nd ed. Epic) as the Eldar AA vehicle.

chromedog
01-12-2007, 10:55
The original fluff write-up had it being able to shift the focus point on the main prism to enhance the targeting, as well as having the CTM. It was a tank version of the Dark Reaper rangefinder antennae.

People weren't buying them (one shot, BS3, are you kidding?), so they got a bit of a boost and became more like what the fluff had them as.

Felwether
01-12-2007, 13:22
They're BS 4 now for playability's sake (they're so awesome now that I bought two for my 1000pt list... :cheese:) but if you want to explain them being so accurate in fluff terms it'd probably be something to do with them mounting the most advanced laser weapon in the galaxy and also having crystal targetting matrices and the likes.

Tehkonrad
02-12-2007, 05:56

yoo fool da Zzap gun is da most sofistamacated weapon
in da ooniverse!!!!

elvinltl
08-12-2007, 14:27
in da ooniverse!!!!

Just like your GreenSkin Language i believe?

Moostikal The Confused
08-12-2007, 20:22
in da ooniverse!!!!

Fire prism= laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation)

Zzap gun= lightning (ded good shooty fing wot kills big stuff.)

Elessar
09-12-2007, 06:04
I can't actually remember where I read this, it may have been a White Dwarf, but I remember them explaining the BS 4 as being due to the fact that only the best pilots from each craftworld would be given the honour of piloting and Fire Prism.

The high tech targeting stuff is still viable though, as in the codex it talks about the fancy targeting systems that allow the Fire Prism to fire through another prism, so one of these systems could quite easily contribute to the improved BS.

Flame Boy
09-12-2007, 17:31
I'll also jump on the 2nd edition backgraound bandwagon. The mandatory Crystal Targeting Matrix included made the vehicle easily able to track fast-moving vehicles, and like most vehicles, it included a targeter as standard, raising the BS to 4 anyway. Now that targeters aren't in the rules for most vehicles, the targeting systems have to be hand-waved into justification.

LexxBomb
10-12-2007, 04:54
well at leat you can now combine the shots of multiply prisms like in epic