PDA

View Full Version : screamers of tzeentch

the_night_reaper
15-09-2005, 02:09
I just noticed that screamers can have 20 in a unit! It would cost a hefty 660pts but it might cause enough havoc to win games. 20 S3 attacks while flying over a unit isn't bad. then causing fear and having a huge unit can also have its benifits. Also these guys would be reall hard to shoot down, because they're skirmishers and they're pretty tough, so almost all shooting will have to wound on a 4+ and cannons can only hit 1 (i think thats how the rule works) they're real weakness is magic, but I think any sorceror that get close enough to use a magic missile on them will learn the error of their ways next turn.

anyway tell me what you think of a 20 man unit of screamers

Trunks
15-09-2005, 04:12
I've wanted to do it just to be goofy.

Be aware that even though they have 2 wounds apiece, they each count as having Unit Strength 1, so the total regiment only counts as 20 strong for fear.

Cannons hit as many models as their happen to be in their line of fire when shooting at skirmishers.

The real weakness for them is that they take up alot of space, twenty 40mm bases in a skirmish formation. This means that you cannot hide the regiment very easily and it will most likely get charged rather easily, despite being a flying regiment.

I think it could cause some damage, and woudl be a huge points denial regiment if you can keep the enemy away from it (alot of points in a very mobile regiment that just never gets attacked is alot of points your enemy can't get). It'd be fun to use in a goofy sort of way :)

What I think looks like an even goofier point sink large regiment is a regiment of TWENTY FLAMERS. Nevermind that the regiment costs 500 points, it has 20D6 shots a turn. That alone is something I can't help but smile about :)

Griefbringer
15-09-2005, 16:17
Unit of 20 screamers sounds somewhat unpractical - they would take up a lot of room for a skirmisher unit.

I think their main weakness would be close combat - remember that being immune to psychology they cannot flee, so that makes them slightly easier to catch (still challenging, but not impossible). If enemy manages to catch them, they are in trouble - no rank bonus, unit strenght 20, and not that impressive combat profile. Plus a bad habit of going poof if they lose the combat.

Crube
15-09-2005, 16:30
In my experience, Screamers are much more effectiv ein combat, rather than using the slashing attack, even against war machine crews etc. 1 S3 hit per model, vs 2 S4 attacks....

For me (as I learnt the hard way throughout Carnage) smaller units, charging smaller units (12 skellies was the biggest i got rid of with 4 screamers) seems to be the way to go.

As has been noted already, 20 40mm bases is a hell of a lot to manoeuvre

MarcoPollo
17-09-2005, 03:44
Three to four screemers of tzeetch is a nice number. They can take out warmachine crews with outnumber and fear. Usually won't draw too much attention because they are still pretty cheap unit (thus allowing other units to draw more attention). And can force mages into units where shock troops can kill them. They have a tendency to go "pop" if caught withing charge range. But 20" movement should be able to limit this effect.

As for large unit of 20, this is a bit of a point sink. Plus very unwieldly on the field. They can more easily get charged and can't flee.

Besides, who wants to buy, assmble, and paint them just to see what will happen.

Scythe
17-09-2005, 13:23
I acctually played against someone who used a unit of 20 screamers. I managed to catch them with the remains of a unit witch elves (eg 7 witches), won combat and they all went poof. Gone were 660 pts...:D

It's also nice to mention that the witch elf hag managed to kill a full wound khorne daemon prince before that in a single round of combat... legendary battle...;)

Angelripper
17-09-2005, 15:45
The Chaoslady in our little gaming association here loves her screamers and uses them in realy big units.
They are hard to manoeuvre but they can kick ass pretty good. She annihilated a regiment of Witchelves by flying by during an attack against a regiment of Spearmen (damn hills) due to some real bad mojo on my dice the spearmen were also slaughtered. :cries:
I killed the *censored* deamons with Cold ones and the help of their little poof thing but big units of these buggers can work fine.

If you want to field big Units of Deamons just think what she does: "what can go wrong with deamons will go wrong with deamons sooner or later. expect sooner but pray for later"

Angelripper
17-09-2005, 15:53
I acctually played against someone who used a unit of 20 screamers. I managed to catch them with the remains of a unit witch elves (eg 7 witches), won combat and they all went poof. Gone were 660 pts...:D

It's also nice to mention that the witch elf hag managed to kill a full wound khorne daemon prince before that in a single round of combat... legendary battle...;)

Your Witchelves Standardbearer should have a deamonprincehead and a screamertail nailed to the Banner. Heroic units should be rewarded for what the did

My firewarriorleader will get a Hive tyranthead for his belt (or base to be correctly) cause he slaughtered one in CC. that was an epic battle as well :D