PDA

View Full Version : Altansar Background?

Griffty
25-11-2007, 20:19
standard disclaimer - search revealed the question has been asked before but not much in the way of answers, so pre-emptive apology for potential repeat duly submitted.

Im considering an Altansar army and was wondering if it is mentioned in any of the BL books of which I have read none.
I have the 4th and 3rd ed codex's and am looking to pick up the 2nd ed off ebay. I also have read the small amount of fluff from the round up post 13th black crusade that appeared in WD and online.

Finally I spotted a reference (possibly on lexicanum) that Altansar was heading in the general direction of Terra, any more info/sources on this?

Cheers

Commander Dante
26-11-2007, 04:09
Um no but i do know that the other Craftworlds deeply mistrust them. and refuse to communicate with them.

Tehkonrad
26-11-2007, 04:45
Yeah i also heard that most think they are chaos tainted (except Maugun ra and some ulthwe dwellers)

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-11-2007, 06:59
As I remember, the only thing the 2nd ed codex says about it is that Maugan-Ra was from that craftworld originally, and that it was pulled into the Eye of terror and destroyed.

It coming back is a very new thing, and I don't really think there is much about them.

Bregalad
26-11-2007, 08:04
I think now we have ALL existing background for Altansar mentioned in this thread. Yes, it is not much.

Griffty
27-11-2007, 16:50
According to Lexicanum (not cannon I know but useful all the same) "Currently Altansar is somewhere close to Terra, although how it has managed to get here without Imperial retaliation is unknown."
Does anyone know the source for this?
I was hoping that the 2nd ed might describe the craftworld a little before it entered the eye of terror, i realise it has only been ressurected since the eot campaign

ryng_sting
27-11-2007, 17:00
Altansar aided the Ulthwe Strike Forces at the peak of the 13th Black Crusade. With Maugan Ra's aid, the Craftworld returned to the material world. They aren't widely trusted by other Eldar, and appear as pallid as the Dark Eldar.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-11-2007, 17:12
I was hoping that the 2nd ed might describe the craftworld a little before it entered the eye of terror, i realise it has only been ressurected since the eot campaign

It doesn't. It's mentioned in a sentence as the Craftworld Maugan-Ra comes from, and that's it.

BrotherAdso
27-11-2007, 17:21
Actually, Altansar believes that all the OTHER Eldar have been tainted, I think...hence their isolationism. They feel that they were the only 'real' survivors of the fall.

Though I could be mixing them up with another craftworld.

-Adso

Commander Dante
27-11-2007, 17:40
Maybe it says something about them in the new eldar codex?

Griffty
27-11-2007, 17:47
in my original post i state that I've read the 3rd and 4th ed codex's and the little amount of fluff we have on them, summed up as Bregalad states comes from the 4th ed and the Death By A Thousand Cuts article.
Although the 4th ed codex does include an absolutely horrid paintscheme for them that i will promptly be ignoring

BrotherAdso
27-11-2007, 17:52
Agreed. Craftworld Of The Damned has a nice ring to it...maybe you could get away with a Bone White (skeletal colors) scheme? Perhaps with silver and purple or silver and deep red secondarily?

I love the idea that Altansar is slightly corrupted, but they see their contact with Chaos as 'enlightening', such that, having fought it off, they are now immune to the taint that has caught all the other craftworlds unaware. Now they alone must shoulder the burden of their race, damned though they are, before the hubris of their brethren ends it all.

Eh? Eh?

-Adso

boogaloo
28-11-2007, 00:38
very very cool

Tehkonrad
28-11-2007, 01:29
that would do

elvinltl
28-11-2007, 12:59
Their army may feature a darker theme including more DarkReapers.

ryng_sting
28-11-2007, 17:31
Maybe it says something about them in the new eldar codex?

Next to nothing, and which has already been summarised.

The isolationist Craftworld is Dorhai, btw.

Iracundus
29-11-2007, 03:39
One interesting point which hasn't been brought up or addressed is what Maugan-Ra will do now that his home Craftworld and home shrine are back. Remember, all Phoenix Lords originally had their original home shrines that have subsequently been lost or destroyed leading to their current nomadic existence. Would Maugan-Ra go home and settle down in his original shrine, making it "first among equals" among Dark Reaper shrines for having the Aspect's founder in residence?

Emperor's Grace
29-11-2007, 15:30
Besides the Maugan-Ra mention, there's also a bit of text regarding their "return" in the event cards for "eye of terror". I'll see if I can dig my copy up.

Iracundus
29-11-2007, 15:33
It just mentions they intervened to save the Eldar forces fighting on Belial. No detail is given on how they survived in the Eye for so long.

Griffty
29-11-2007, 18:32
@Iracundus - excellent question, that does throw the equality of the shrines out of kilter, and seeing how much Maugan Ra cares for his craftworld it would be strange for him to stray again.
On the flipside he is a Phoenix Lord and their role is now to wander, also maugan has a pretty strong track record with the whole wandering idea, what with the strike forces and Altansars return.

With regard to painting, I plan to copy some very old Samurai decorative schemes, I also want to test a scheme that makes the armour look lacquered. To make them truely Altansar I will either wash out their colours and give them the very pale skin or give all the models blank death masks. Im leaning towards the death masks. That gives me all sort of ideas for a FW Avatar w. sword conversion

Emperor's Grace
29-11-2007, 21:07
It just mentions they intervened to save the Eldar forces fighting on Belial. No detail is given on how they survived in the Eye for so long.

I thought that it also gave a description of their appearance as well.

I can't find it from here, I'll need to hit home.

Commander Dante
29-11-2007, 21:53
they are some sort of redish-purple with black helmets

Romanus
30-11-2007, 09:29
http://us.games-workshop.com/news/whitedwarf/WD324/assets/wd324_bandp.pdf

Try this, it isn't much but gives the basic base line of what the army is about.

GW's official EOT conclusion:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The immortal Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra took a vital role in deciding the fate of the Eldar over the course of the Thirteenth Crusade. Responsible for the creation of the Ulthwé Strike Forces, Maughan Ra and the elite Black Guardians fought across every sector by cunning use of the webway. He ultimately led the Eldar to victory even in the heart of the Eye of Terror and, after repelling Dark Eldar raids on Xersia, fought alongside Creed against Abaddon’s incursion into the Basilica Dufaux. It is believed by many Farseers that the reappearance of the shadowy Craftworld of Altansar and its ghost-like inhabitants was purely due to the iron determination of the Phoenix Lord to locate and redeem his once-lost brethren.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And.......

Quote:

The final, and most decisive, twist to this peculiar theatre of war came when a Daemon horde led a counter-attack against the Eldar consolidating their hold on the crone worlds, as sudden as it was devastating. To the great shock of the Eldar below, the withered and broken Craftworld of Altansar, thought lost to the Warp for 10,000 years, drifted into orbit above the crone worlds. Hundreds of pallid, ghost-like Eldar joined their brethren on the field of battle, throwing back the Daemon tide with wave after wave of silent, grim warriors. Since that great victory Belial IV has been reclaimed by the Eldar. What this, and the reappearance of the Lost, bodes for the Eldar race remains to be seen.

And what Wikipedia has to say on the matter, not canon but close from what I can tell

Altansar
A small Craftworld that had been on the edge of the shockwave from the Fall, Altansar was long thought to have been lost in the Eye of Terror along with the homeworlds of the Eldar. However, there were reports of its sighting and even active involvement in the recently conducted campaign between the Imperium and the Chaos Marines in the Eye of Terror during the Thirteenth Black Crusade, and doubt now exists as to its fate. As of the 4th Edition Eldar Codex, it was revealed that Altansar did, in fact, escape from the Warp with the help of the Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra, and that Eldar of other Craftworlds regard its inhabitants with deep suspicion due to their multi-millennial imprisonment in the Eye of Terror.

Hope it helps!!

Cheers, Rom

Direhamster
30-11-2007, 12:31
I would try them grey, like covered with dust, on very dark red, almost black undersuit, with lots of balck and white banners, ribbons etc... They would quite cool IMHO, and that would fit their "lost" aura.

The plae skinned types are also quite cool...

Nice thread:)

Cheers

Direhamster