PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Hormogaunts Idea

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
25-11-2007, 21:37
I'll start by saying that I don't play Tyranids. But I play another horde army, Orks. And as anyone knows, horde armies aren't cheap to make. Tyranids only compound this by giving you 8 Hormogaunts and 8 Termagants. Now most people want just the Hormogaunts. They are, however, more expensive than Beakies this way. So why not buy a box, that with a little plasticard and green stuff, gives you 16 Gaunts? Oh, and you'll also have bunches of leftover bitz. Can you guess which models I'm talking about? Lizardmen, of course! When I was perusing the online store, I saw the Lizardmen Saurus sprue. It struck me how much those bodies look like Gaunt bodies. The pose, the tail, everything. So I got a-thinking, and realized that by making plasticard Gaunt claws, you could make Gaunts for half the price. But there's another problem. The Saurus have a shield arm and no proper left arm. However, if you make this out of green stuff, or use any other suitable arms, you've got a Gaunt. They will have Lizardmen heads, but those should look "Tyranid" enough, but look different enough from the standard models to be interesting. What do you folks think?

The_Dragon_Rising
25-11-2007, 21:50
For a themed army it wouldn't be bad but unless you can show something that looks better than what i imagine then it will just look out of place in a standard nid army.

lord_blackfang
25-11-2007, 21:53
I think that anyone who can build Hormagaunts out of Lizardmen can probably build Hormagaunts out of Termagaunts even easier.

catbarf
25-11-2007, 22:18
Who wants a load of Hormies? They're just as useless in combat as Gaunts, except they cost twice as much. But I do think it's a nice idea- in fact, it might bring back a little of the dinosaur feel Tyranids originally had (and are supposed to have today... way to go GW!).

max the dog
26-11-2007, 02:01
I've seen a guy convert spinegaunts into passable hormagaunts with a bit of plasticard. It can be done and the results aren't too bad.

Colonel Kevlar
26-11-2007, 05:12
That actually sounds really cool, can't quite imagine it, though who knows? While most people would just convert them from termagaunts, you'd have an awsomely themed army.If anyone does these, let us see!

The Kevlar Colonel

azimaith
26-11-2007, 05:53
Who wants a load of Hormies? They're just as useless in combat as Gaunts, except they cost twice as much. But I do think it's a nice idea- in fact, it might bring back a little of the dinosaur feel Tyranids originally had (and are supposed to have today... way to go GW!).

I strongly disagree here. Hormagaunts are quite lethal in assault. Throw on a WS upgrade and set em lose with their massive threat range. To be perfectly honest, hormagaunts should probably be around 8 points basic (same as the fenrisian wolf)

As for converting them, to be honest, I don't think the cramps from cutting all that plasticard would be worth not just buying hormagaunt sprues for arms.

Qualdinesh
26-11-2007, 06:44
I'd love to see some pics of this conversion when you get some done!

IncubiLord
26-11-2007, 09:09
I've seen a guy convert spinegaunts into passable hormagaunts with a bit of plasticard. It can be done and the results aren't too bad.
Actually, cleaning up spinefists and using them as the hilts of swords is a pretty simple conversion and resembles the boneswords of old-school Tyranid Warriors when you add the plasticard blades.

For best results, cut most of the tab from beneath the Termagaunt-body's foot and rock the body back into a more Hormagaunt-like pose. Mix the arms amongst the two body types and swap heads around as well.

In a pinch, or for something different, you could even remove the cone-shape from Devourers and build a sort of poisoned scythe for your gaunts using plasticard for the blade. True, it's not a pair of scything talons, but it's an obvious counts-as for them.