PDA

View Full Version : Question - Interactive Army List

Army Man
25-11-2007, 23:06
Has anyone heard of an update for GW`s Interactive Army List? They still haven`t updated it to include DA, BA, and Chaos. I sent a couple of emails to the GW website, but I still haven`t received a reply.

IronNerd
25-11-2007, 23:09
I wouldn't hold your breath too long. I have the IAL, and I think it's a pretty solid program. That being said, the support for it sucks... plain and simple. It's really bad...

Army Man
26-11-2007, 20:29
Figured. Good program, bad support.

Necronlord3
26-11-2007, 20:52
Has anyone heard of an update for GW`s Interactive Army List? They still haven`t updated it to include DA, BA, and Chaos. I sent a couple of emails to the GW website, but I still haven`t received a reply.

I just recently sent an email too, its my 3rd this year.

Lycannus
26-11-2007, 20:54
a shame really,
I love this program too, but as said, support for it is somewhat pittiful.

leonmallett
26-11-2007, 20:56
I like IAL, but support is poor to say the least. I have never had an email reply to my various enquiries and observations about issues requiring changes.

Norsehawk
26-11-2007, 21:31
I tried the IAL before but the lack of prompt support led me to change to Army Builder, yeah it costs a few bucks, but it works and is updated much quicker

Xyxox
26-11-2007, 22:03
I'm glad I stuck with the good old stanby.

I use a spread sheet.

Culven
26-11-2007, 22:53
I can't stand IAL. I play Deathwatch, which has never been incorporated (because it is not an "official" codex/update). Also, the support is lacking. I prefer to just use the codex, Chapter Approved article, and Excel.

Macragge
19-11-2008, 23:33
Right, I know this is an age old thread, but I can just well imagine if I started one about the same subject, someone will say there's a thread already about it ;)

I see GW have stopped selling their IAL now, and haven't updated it for 2 years, is there any hope on the horizon that they will be updating it for new 5th edition and new codexes, or am I really flogging a horse that has died, decayed, and gone on to fossilise?

I thought the program was very good, I had the original relase too, before all this AOTI and EOTI came about, I like it, it works for trying new lists out.

I suspect GW have just left people who have bought their product out to dry now, which is a bit of a joke really considering what they charge for their miniatures, you'd think they'd support their own software to use them.

devik
19-11-2008, 23:44
I suspect GW have just left people who have bought their product out to dry now, which is a bit of a joke really considering what they charge for their miniatures, you'd think they'd support their own software to use them.

Changes happen. Software becomes deprecated all the time. Most software manufacturers drop support for software after 5 years, unless the program is a huge moneymill for them and they continue to come out ahead.

It's not companies hanging their customers out to dry. It's companies making a pragmatic business decision to drop support for a product that is now costing them more to support than it is earning them on income. I'm not a business major, but a product that nets a loss for the company and doesn't do much to draw revenue from other streams is not one that I would continue to sell or support, either.

Macragge
19-11-2008, 23:51
I'll explain why I have a bitter taste in my mouth about it, I was more or less sold the product in a GW store advertised as 'It'll be updated with all rules and codexes'. Indeed the person in store had big aspirations for it, and on that advice after my concern of just that, I bought it, only to now not be able to use it should I wish to advance with the new rules and codexes.

I'm British, tightness comes natural to me, and I liked it.

Culven
19-11-2008, 23:57
This isn't exactly new for GW. They stop supporting things all the time, just ask a 2nd edition Squats player.

Norsehawk
20-11-2008, 00:02
well, at least there is always a third party alternative, *hugs his armybuilder and the new 5th edition datafile*

Macragge
20-11-2008, 00:09
Armybuilder will be the way I'll go no doubt, I'm just a bit of a technophobe when it comes to things like this, I get used to the GUI of a particular software, and all of a sudden another bit of software as an alternative looks all alien (forgive the terrible pun) and generally wrong to me.

I notice with AB you get 2 license keys, so to split it with a mate is a logical step, and it'll only end up costing ~10.

Norsehawk
20-11-2008, 00:19
The nice thing about AB is that even when your license expires, you can still manually install the updates from the web, you don't need an active license to do so. (well, at least not until he eventually updates to AB 4.x)

Macragge
20-11-2008, 00:23
Is that likely to be any time soon?

I can just forsee me buying it and then it's suddenly old edition :rolleyes: