PDA

View Full Version : When Giants Attack!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
26-11-2007, 03:05
So tonight my friend and I were playing a match up between his Chaos and my Orcs and our giants met up. He charged me and rolled a 3, which is Thump With Club. I passed my Initiative test so he missed me. Then I rolled a 4 which was also Thump With Club, but he failed his test, so I hit. Thump With Club states that "If the target is struck it takes 2D6 wounds with no armor save allowed." Now, that makes sense to me if we're talking the giant fighting a group of man-sized targets, but not really when you think about two giants fighting each other. I rolled an 11, and proceeded to kill my opponents giant right out. Did we read this rule properly? Any assistance would be most helpful.

AdamAtCollege
26-11-2007, 03:45
Yeah, it looks like that's how the situation would play out.

His giant tries to hit you, you move out of the way. You swing your club back and nail him upside the head, effectively killing him on the spot. Giants don't play nice with other giants. Congrats on taking out his giant in one turn. :)

(And this is why I take trolls instead)

Xyon
26-11-2007, 05:04
This was the table for fighting big monsters not the table for fighting a unit of US1 models right? If it was then that sounds right.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
26-11-2007, 05:06
Yeah, it was the table for fighting the big fellows. I guess I just think it's odd because you can do up to 12 wounds, which seems crazy. But I guess if you can't take 12 wounds, don't get hit by a giant.

Xyon
26-11-2007, 05:09
Yeah, and a few things would have ward saves to use, or even be able to regen the wounds, but yeah, Giants are easy enough to kill with shooting, so they have to be worth it for when they make it into combat. Grats on the giant vs giant pounding though.

alextroy
26-11-2007, 05:10
Isn't it funny how the rules for Giants allow them to easily one-hit kill another Giant, but they have to roll to wound mere human....

EvC
26-11-2007, 10:55
Well it's an odd set of rules to begin with: the smaller, more nimble humans get automatically hit, yet the massive, lumbering creatures like other Giants get a chance to avoid the swing... I tend to think the rule would be better as D6 wounds to the unfortunate victim. Was playing a game once with a Giant fighting a Bone Giant and Tomb Scorpion, he smashed apart the Bone Giant with his thump attack, and destroyed the Scorpion due to CR as well!

logan054
26-11-2007, 11:25
no EvC thats not totally true, the bone giant and tomb scorpion charged the giant, did 3 wounds and then the chaos giant did about 11 wounds on the Tomb Giant, was highly amusing :)

I think the reason why little guys cant dodge the swing with club is simple it dosnt matter or nipple you, try and dodge a tree moving sideways at you, unless you can jump over it good luck (that and giants would be useless).

gortexgunnerson
26-11-2007, 12:59
The little guys dont get to dodge as he just does a little wide swing across the unit so defiantely hits some peole where as the mega thump with tree style attack is onbig top to bottme smash blow! Great for kicking monsters ****. But does raise the question that the giant is great at killing big things but not so good on the weak and puny. My giant in the tournie, killed a skeg, skragg the slaughter etc no props. Failed to kill a scar vet and lost combat to 10 skinks :( lol but thats the comedy!

EvC
26-11-2007, 14:22
no EvC thats not totally true, the bone giant and tomb scorpion charged the giant, did 3 wounds and then the chaos giant did about 11 wounds on the Tomb Giant, was highly amusing :)

You've added more details, but my post is still 100% true! :p