PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt chaos cavalry

Big TM
26-11-2007, 06:52
Hi, this is my first ever thread so please bear with me. This is my attempt at a chaos cavalry army, which I am planning to buy around Christmas. all comments welcome.

Exalted champion
blade of blood
enchanted shield
demonic mount

5 chosen knights
full command
war banner

5 knights
full command

5 knights
full command

5 hounds

5 hounds

15 points left over

The background is that they are the swords of chaos Archaon's original war band. The exalted champion goes with the chosen knights. I want the army to be able to stand a good chance against all comers. Im a bit worried about magic so am thinking about swapping the hounds for m of tzeench for the exalted champion. what do you think?

Ender101
26-11-2007, 14:23
Well all Calvalry chaos lists while heavy hitters suffer from a sever lack of models.

I think you should be worried about magic and shooting with this list, but even more than that combat resolution is going to be your main concern. None of your units will get a rank bonus and will likely flee at the end of the round. What you lack is points, at this point I belive chosen are too expensive for a list of this size, if you feel the need to make an all calvalry force, I would downgrade them to normal knights and use the points for more hounds. Using them as flankers and screens seems the best way to keep your knights alive. This will flush out your numbers a bit and give you a little more survivablility.

Just my two cents,

-Ender

Big TM
26-11-2007, 16:43
I wanted the chosen because they are a hard hitting unit, but if I drop the chosen for another unit of knights, that gives me 70 points, so in that case m of tzeench for magic, or hounds for more numbers

Ender101
26-11-2007, 19:08
They are indeed a hard hitting unit, arguably the best heavy calvalry in the game. But for under 1500pts they are rather wasteful in consideration of the numbers you are likely to go up against. Having a sorceror and more numbers will likely turn the tide of battle more than five extra attacks and a better armor save in the long run.

-Ender

Big TM
26-11-2007, 21:05
in that case, do you think I should do as I said above. Or do u have any ideas

Ender101
27-11-2007, 03:51
I think the Mark of Tzeentch would work well for the army, a level two sorcerer will add another dimension to your list.

Hounds are good for this list, fast is the name of the game with the way its currently decked out. Adding another unit or two would be really useful for flanking and harrassing your opponent.

Between the two choices I would personally pick the magic. In the end I think it has more potential to help you out.

Big TM
27-11-2007, 06:57
I think Ill go with downgrading the chosen to knights and giving my eexalted the m of tzeench

mark.
27-11-2007, 16:42
I would recommend to drop the blade of blood and change for a halberd, also drop the chosen status from your chosen knights and you might also want to consider to drop the champions in the knight units and only keep the musician/banner. The war banner is good.

For the free points you should give the knights the mark of khorne, magic defence and +1 attack are very useful, and having your expensive units not suffering from psychology is priceless, and frenzy won't be bad if you screen your units, so I should add 1 unit of warhounds and a beast herd (beasts of chaos book) for numbers.

You might want to consider dropping the hero and just buy a wargor in your herd with a great weapon and some extra armor. This because you will have to buy a seperate mark of khorne for him to let him join the unit of khorne knights, and the leadership of the champion doesn't add to your army because all knights are already Ld 8.

Instead of a beastherd it would be good to buy furies, unfortunately, they are also expensive for their numbers, but they work very well with heavy cavalry lists, the flanking bonus + rank denial + extra wounds will be a huge help!

So basically what I should do:

- Drop chosen, give all knights mark of khorne
- Add 1 unit of warhounds and 1 unit of furies
- Change the exalted into a wargor
- Drop knight champions

You might not have enough points for this, or maybe you will have some points left, but you might be able to play with the size of your furies unit.

Big TM
27-11-2007, 18:05
I dont like beastmen that much but I like the idea of more hounds and some furies. Instead of the beastmen do you think I could take some marauders
also if I took take the wargor the army wouldnt be legal as I need 2 core.

Skyldig
27-11-2007, 18:12
Instead of a beastherd it would be good to buy furies, unfortunately, they are also expensive for their numbers, but they work very well with heavy cavalry lists, the flanking bonus + rank denial + extra wounds will be a huge help!

Flyers, like Furies, don't negate ranks.

mark.
28-11-2007, 15:53
Ofcourse they do, the only issue is that all flyers only have US 1 per model which means you need at least 5 flyers to negate ranks.

And I wouldn't recommend marauders they are much too slow for your cavalry army, you will want to do multiple charges and marauders won't help there.

I think you will be fine if you do this:

- lots of khorne knights
- enough warhounds to screen
- a unit of about 7 furies
- a wargor, it is much cheaper then a chaos hero and with GW he will be just as painful, be sure to use it with combined charges, the extra wounds he causes is very useful for CR, and with M5 it is still pretty fast!

Little Aaad
28-11-2007, 17:59
Exalted champion
Spell Familiar
Additional Hand Weapon/Flail
Chaos Steed
MOT
205/203

5 Chaos Knights
Standard, Musician (General Here)

5 Chaos Knights
Champion, Standard

5 Chaos Knights
Champion, Standard

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

Screamers x3 99

999/997

Any thoughts?

Big TM
28-11-2007, 18:48
That list looks good, might steal it so...

Exalted champion
Spell Familiar
Additional Hand Weapon/Flail
Chaos Steed
MOT
205/203

5 Chaos Knights
Standard, Musician (General Here)

5 Chaos Knights
Champion, Standard

5 Chaos Knights
Champion, Standard

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

Screamers x3 99

999/997

what dya think

Be Afraid
28-11-2007, 19:05
i'd say stick too the original list, but upgrage the chosen too khornate, and give the general a basic sheild, and beserker sword, and put him in another unit, that was you have 2 hard hitting knight units, which can slap infanty, also bulk the 2 units add an extra modle too both warhound units.

too pay for these changes, drop the 3 champions. 20 points for 1 attack doesnt stack up.

Big TM
28-11-2007, 19:23
I think ill say

Exalted
shield
berserker sword
demonic steed

7 chosen knights
musician
standard
war banner

5 knights (with exalted)
musician
standard
war banner

3*10 warhounds

38 points left, what to do?

Be Afraid
28-11-2007, 19:44
Hi, this is my first ever thread so please bear with me. This is my attempt at a chaos cavalry army, which I am planning to buy around Christmas. all comments welcome.

Exalted champion (average of 9-10 attacks, 1+ save. )
Beserker sword
demonic mount
Enchanted sheild

5 chosen knights (25 attacks (15 knight, 10 horse, 1+ save )
standerd an musician
MoK
war banner

5 knights (with general ) (10 attacks, 5 knight, 5 horse + general, 2+ save )
standerd an musician

5 knights (20 attacks, 10 knight, 10 horse, 2+ save )
standerd an musician
MoK

plus, all above units have +1 static combat res. and could outrunber most small units )

5 hounds

5 hounds

screens/sacraficial

The background is that they are the swords of chaos Archaon's original war band. The exalted champion goes with the chosen knights. I want the army to be able to stand a good chance against all comers. Im a bit worried about magic so am thinking about swapping the hounds for m of tzeench for the exalted champion. what do you think?

thats list would be your best bet, all 3 units are (very) hard hitters, and your hounds screen them, also, 4 dispel dice, +2 power for remains in play should pretect you from foul magiks

chaos-nightwing
29-11-2007, 04:00
its ok not perfect but good enough for it if u know how to use it. Just try and get ur knights in combat and uses the hounds as shooting screan that block line of sight or distracting units or a scream for wood elf's killing blow archer, what ever.

With the list posted by be afraid is pretty good but i would not but MoK on the knights as it put them in a great risk of getting beaten by combat resolution. put another hero in with dispell scroll instead.

i would also drop the daemonic mount on the exalted champ as it is too expensive with all the knights u got. put in normal chaos steed instead.

The rest looks pretty decent

Big TM
29-11-2007, 06:45
I like that. But just to ask, what about this

Exalted champion
demonic mount
beserker sword
enchanted shield

Chariot

Chariot

5 knights
musician
standard
warbanner

5 knights
musician
standard
warbanner

only question is wat to do with the last 120 points
either

chariot
or
2*10 hounds

what do you think

Makarion
29-11-2007, 06:53
I'd probably spend the 120 on 3 units of hounds ( 7, 7 and 6). 10 to a unit seems a bit overkill, frankly.

On the other hand, you can have only 1 warbanner, so that's another 25 points you have available.

Big TM
29-11-2007, 17:16
the warbanner isnt a arcane item so I can take more than 1.

druchii
29-11-2007, 17:50
Ofcourse they do, the only issue is that all flyers only have US 1 per model which means you need at least 5 flyers to negate ranks.

And I wouldn't recommend marauders they are much too slow for your cavalry army, you will want to do multiple charges and marauders won't help there.

I think you will be fine if you do this:

- lots of khorne knights
- enough warhounds to screen
- a unit of about 7 furies
- a wargor, it is much cheaper then a chaos hero and with GW he will be just as painful, be sure to use it with combined charges, the extra wounds he causes is very useful for CR, and with M5 it is still pretty fast!

Incorrect: Flyers (atleast units of flyers, like furies and pegasus knights)are by default skirmishers, and skirmishers may not deny rank bonuses, but they DO count for the purposes of adding the +1 CR bonus for flanks.

the warbanner isnt a arcane item so I can take more than 1.

No, you may not. Reread your rulebook section about magic items, unless specified (like dispell scrolls and stones) you may NOT have multiple items with the same name in the army.

I like that. But just to ask, what about this

Exalted champion
demonic mount
beserker sword
enchanted shield

Chariot

Chariot

5 knights
musician
standard
warbanner

5 knights
musician
standard
warbanner

only question is wat to do with the last 120 points
either

chariot
or
2*10 hounds

what do you think

So: Ditch the illegal warbanner (leaving one) you've got 145 pts left, if you're hellbent on running so few units, get an asp. champ that's been upgraded to a BSB, on a horse (he's still sporting a nasty 2+ save!) and stick him in the other knight unit.

Speaking of horses: Ditch the demonic steed! He's a terrible waste of points, and he makes your hero that much more vulnerable: In a challenge or normal combat, troops can direct their attacks at the much more vulnerable mount (and he's on a 50/50mm base so more can attack him!) and ignore your 2+ save nasties!

Cavalry with static combar resolution are absolutely scary!

ps. Have you thought about ditching one of your chariots for more units of hounds? Mak has a great point: Get more small units of hounds, as opposed to big units.

d

Big TM
29-11-2007, 19:59
What if I do

Exalted
shield
berserker sword
horse

exalted champion
enchanted shield
halberd
(goes on chariot)

Chariot

chariot

chariot

5 knights
musician
standard
war banner

5 knights
musician
standard

5 hounds

5 hounds

by the way, does a chariot give armor save bonus

Little Aaad
29-11-2007, 20:45
What if I do

by the way, does a chariot give armor save bonus

The chariots save is used. However if the character has a better save, they may use their save at +2 for riding the chariot.

If that is what you ment, of course.

Big TM
29-11-2007, 21:01
In that case Ill change the exalted riding the chariot to

exalted champion
shield
halberd
(goes on chariot)
leaving me with 17 points. Am I allowed o go one point over, could get another 3 hounds if I can. other wise not sure what to do.

also is it worth taking the second exalted on a chariot, or should I get him a steed instead of more hounds.