PDA

View Full Version : O&G magic

Armilthuan
26-11-2007, 08:22
After reading some fluff about Orcs and Goblins, I came to notice that there are quite a few O&G armies who are lead by shamans.

I really like this idea of my army being led by a Great Shaman (a Savage orc Great Shaman, for good measures). :D

Good thing about orc magic is that I want to be in combat when casting.

So I came with this set-up. (Sorry, for not pin-point remembering what each item is called like)

Savage orc Great Shaman
Level 4 Upgrade
??? Talisman (Talisman. Monsters and steeds need 6 to hit)
Blood Warpaint( Arcane. +2 to cast in combat)
Horn of Urgok (Ench. Bound spell. Army +1 Ld, enemy -1 Ld)
Nibbla's Itty ring (Ench. Bound spell. Headbutt)
Dispell Scroll

Goblin Shaman
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispell Scroll
Brimstone Bauble (Ench. If killed, bearer does D6 S6 hits to each unit in base contact.)

I'll have Mork's spirit totem on one of my units.

Casting: 8 PD + 2 Bound Spells
Dispelling: 8 DD + 2 Scrolls

I was thinking of putting the Goblin Shaman in a chariot.

So what do you think of this set-up? Is it tactical enough? Does it take up to many points? What do you think the rest of hero choices and/or army should look like?

I thank you for your time.

Avian
26-11-2007, 09:31
So what do you think of this set-up?
It's illegal, as your Great Shaman has two Enchanted Items when he is only allowed one. :p

Armilthuan
26-11-2007, 09:38
It's illegal, as your Great Shaman has two Enchanted Items when he is only allowed one.

No? Really? Wow, I was 100% sure of myself that you could take more than 1 Ench item (the only Magic item category which allowed that). Maybe some leftover information from previous edition.

Savage orc Great Shaman
Level 4 Upgrade
Waagh! Warpaint( Arcane. +2 to cast in combat)
Horn of Urgok (Ench. Bound spell. Army +1 Ld, enemy -1 Ld)
2x Dispell Scroll

Goblin Shaman
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispell Scroll
Brimstone Bauble (Ench. If killed, bearer does D6 S6 hits to each unit in base contact.)

I'll have Mork's spirit totem on one of my units.

Casting: 8 PD + 1 Bound Spell
Dispelling: 8 DD + 3 Scrolls

So here is the changed list. Now I'm not really sure that putting the Itty ring on the goblin would be a good idea. But as long as it blows up spectacularly, I'm fine with it... :D

Briohmar
26-11-2007, 09:57
I happen to like the Staff of Sneaky stealing on a gobbo. This is really quite nice when you weigh in with it, as it actually can impact the other player's magic phase, by making him choose to use one less die for a spell, or trying to cast one less per magic phase. The extra dispell die doesn't hurt your magic defence either.

Chiungalla
26-11-2007, 10:52
I most often play my orcs and goblins with a great shaman general.
He stands in a unit of black orcs (so no animosity), has got the staff of baduuum, a dispel scroll, and the Warboss Umm's Best Big Boss's 'at.

The black orcs carry the spirit totem, and i field an addition goblin shaman with the staff of sneaky stealing.

So I have got up to 9 dispel dice and a dispel scroll.
And the leadership of my general where I want it, and not where my waaaghboss is fighting in the moment.

Tutore
26-11-2007, 12:13
I think it's a weak gear. You need the other bound spell. And you need another wizard IMO. And that +2 to cast for a shaman isn't that good, because you have to be in combat, which won't happen in the first 2 turns, and then when it happens, you'll probably lose your wizard AND general... I play O&G with very few magic tough, so I guess I'm not very into it.

Hikigaeru
26-11-2007, 19:56
I generally stick to Night Goblin Shamans, but I suck. So...maybe I should look into something else...

lordnoobs
26-11-2007, 22:55
umm. I think it'll work if you stick the bound spells on your other two heroes and maybe add the staff of sneaky stealing? maybe dropping the brimstone bauble too since you really don't want your shamens in a place where they'll die...

Grinloc
26-11-2007, 23:39
The Magic resistance rules make bound spells with a table wide effect pretty useless. If one opposing unit got MR2, which isn't really uncommon, then those 2 additional DD will cancel the effect of that horn entirely, instead of just making the MR unit not affecting it but the others.

I tried it a couple times but it appeared as a waste of points.
That MR rule is just stupid in such a case and makes MR itself more powerful than it should be.

Crazy Harborc
27-11-2007, 00:33
After reading this thread, I am going to try it out.......A Level 4 shaman instead of my usual. I'll still have my BO hero. In fact he will be the general.;) Who knows, maybe I'll pick two Level 2s to help out.

Braad
27-11-2007, 06:36
Careful with the horn or any other item that might cause wounds on your superhero...

The last game I used a lvl 4 shaman, the amount of WAAAGH spells I could cast on irrisistible force was huge! I don't use more then 4 dice though, because the miscast chances also grow... But 4 is cool.

I wanted to tell about a hero being general, but you already figured that out :)
Very good. Though personally I only use these lvl 4 shamans if I play 3000 or over, because I just love the high Leadership of the warbosses.

Also remember, Orc shamans are often most usefull close to combat, but not IN combat. Might want to get rid of the warpaint and get a more useful item or save the point for something else.

Also... last point: Staff of sneaky stealin' rules big time!

Armilthuan
27-11-2007, 13:44
I thank you all for your help, tips and tricks.

I am really looking forward to collecting my bunch of savages. :D

I'd might post an armylist sometime.

Until then, happy gaming...

Dranthar
28-11-2007, 22:53
How about actually going for a combat shaman;

Savage Orc Great Shaman w. Level 4, Tricksy Trinket, Shaggas Screamin' Sword (the one with extra attacks/strength for every enemy hero nearby), and then some random magic stuff.

A Shaman like that may even be able to put up a decent fight vs. some Lord-level heroes. ;)

UltimateNagash
29-11-2007, 15:56
Personally, I like this set up:
Savage Orc Great Shaman with Skull Wand of Kaloth, Amulet of Protecyness, Bigged's Kickin Boots and riding a Wyvern
Well, the Wyvern is optional, but it's good to give him a mount...