PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Advice

unheilig
26-11-2007, 12:37
After two games of Apocalypse, I have to say it is amazing fun... BUT...

Flank March will ruin the game. Don't allow it in your games. You'll spend more time setting up than playing. Also, Jammers may sound cute... but really its just a jerky move. Sets a bad tone to what should be a laid back game.

Slacker
26-11-2007, 12:41
After watching what happened in my shop's 65k v. 65k game last night, yeah, Flank March is a bit too over-powered. We had 7k or so points of Orks just flank march right into the rear of the Eldar and completely annihilate an entire flank. The Gargant was probably the worst.

OTOH, I did add a Phantom and another one of the Eldar scout Titans to my Tau's kill total, so it wasn't all bad. :D

lord_blackfang
26-11-2007, 12:48
Or you could take the Disruptor asset thingy that covers 8 feet of your table edge and re-deploy half the enemy reserves into some useless far-away corner.

blackroyal
26-11-2007, 12:48
I would say make sure BOTH sides have a superheavy of some sort...
10" templates = DEATH.

Reaver83
26-11-2007, 12:51
so far the most fun apocalypse games i've played have been 3/4 aside and with only 1 super heavy each, and a 'relatively' normal selection of troops, i.e a good balance of heavy/FA/HQ/Elite/Troop.

It was very tactical and very very close!

Also if someone keeps using flank march then use the node!

zerachiel
26-11-2007, 12:52
An Ork player in our playgroup tried to Flank March us once with 2000+ points of Ork. I had the biggest Ambush ever. :P

Flank March makes the game really interesting in my opinion, as you're no longer safe by simply plopping your entire army on your edge and refusing to budge.

It does, however, take near forever to set up if someone wants to throw an entire half of their army into it.

Gobbo666
26-11-2007, 13:25
With you will kill half of those flank marcing infatery bastard so if you play space take masters of the chapters and you dont have to be afraid for who want to kill half their own army to come closer to the enemy

Brother Loki
26-11-2007, 14:00
Gobbo666 that post was pretty much incomprehensible. Could you be a bit clearer please?

Flank march is a potentially powerful move, but there are several counters. While it might win some games, it's just as likely to lose others.

tau_caste
26-11-2007, 14:04
yeah i have used it but it can be a deathtrap as well! personally i only like vortex grenades! theyr so much fun just moving around and sucking up everything! it can be quite hilarious

damiengore
26-11-2007, 14:55
I just played my first big apoc game and we made a couple of changes to try and make things fun and fair:

1. We limited flank march to 1 unit or squadron
2. We provided each side with 4 strategic redeployments which could only be used for infantry units, to attempt to make the infantry more viable.
3. We dealt out 3 strat cards per player and allowed them to choose 2 they wanted to keep
4. We set up 7 objectives that we felt were fairly placed and gave the game balance.
5. Models were only priovided by myself and my friend so we had both sides relatively balanced to start, chaos did have a warhound but the imperials had a shadowsword and plenty of firepower to deal with it.
6. We had a relatively well terrain populated table (12x5), one 5x4 table was all city and the other sections had substantial cover for infantry.

it was a great fun game and pretty balanced, things we learned:

1. The strat deploy wasn't such a big issue as most of the infantry deployed were very involved in their local fighting, only 1 strat redelpoy was ever used
2. Super heavies are brutal but even so they have a hard time making up their points. The warhound killed 10 marines, 10 imperial guard, 10 scouts and a crusader, not even close to it's 750 point cost (it was armed with a plasma blast gun and an inferno cannon). By the end of the game it had taken a fair pounding too, it lost the blastgun and 2 structure points.
3. Super heavy tanks need infantry support. Meltabombs are their bane, a squad of scout bikers turbo boosted and melta bombed the chaos baneblade taking out the main gun and 2 structure points.
4. First turn isn't such a big deal, with decent terrain and a good plan the first turn didn't mean that much for chaos. The imperial delployed about half their units and let chaos come forward into a fairly decent trap. Good use of precision strike, a mass terminator teleport assault and a blind barrage easy made up for the advantage of first turn.
5. Apocalyopse is FUN but takes a lot of time to set up and prepare, it took my friend and I 3 hours the night before to set up the table, terrain, the armies and everything, be prepared and it goes smoothly!

There's pics of our battle here:

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/damiengore/