PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Flee'n'Flank Ogres

Ganymede
15-09-2005, 05:20
Hey everyone, I'm going to be attending a tournament in two months, and I was looking for some feedback on my list. It is an Ogre army with loads of small units, plus two heavier hitting units. It does not have a lot of magical defense, but the Irongut unit is virtually immune to magic because of its banner, and every other unit is relatively cheap and expendable.

What do you all think?

Bruiser @ 186 Pts
General; Ogre Club; Heavy Armour; Tenderiser

4 Ironguts @ 247 Pts
Look-Out Gnoblar; Standard; Musician
Runemaw Banner [2

4x3 Ogre Bulls @ 460 Pts
Musician

2x2 Leadbelchers @ 220 Pts

4x20 Gnoblars @ 160 Pts

8 Gnoblar Trappers @ 48 Pts

Slavegiant @ 175 Pts

Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 110

Total Army Cost: 1496

Sinew
16-09-2005, 15:15
I like your idea. I think you'll have a harder time against shooty armies than combat ones. A shooting army has to inflict very few casualties to cause a panic test on most of your units, and although you have more units where they came from I think you'll end up not getting to a dedicated gun line with much stuff left. Against combat armies you're clearly going to deploy units in front and to the side of their blocks and aim to flank them one way or another.

If I fielded 1500pts (Orc and Goblin) I'd have 4 blocks on infantry, one elite and one pretty much worthless. I have 2 chariots, 2 units of light cavalry, 1 wizard and 4 war machines. I'd try to use the war machines to batter the ironguts for as long as I could as it's the nastiest regiment. Then I'd try to spread fire between as many units of bulls as I could when you got close. I wouldn't advance at all unless a flank was refused or the units in front of my line had been repulsed. The chariots would hurt any of your units except the Ironguts.

nurgle_boy
16-09-2005, 15:51
wow... its a horde almost!

biger than most ogre armies you see anyway!

theyle have a bit o' trouble against large armies, cav, and heavy shooting.

emperorpenguin
16-09-2005, 17:14
Hi Ganymede, thanks for the advice on my wood elf idea!

I have to say though that not only have I never played against the Ogre Kingdoms but I've not even read the army book! So I can't really make a judgement on how I'd fight your army yet sorry :(

Ganymede
17-09-2005, 01:48
I like your idea. I think you'll have a harder time against shooty armies than combat ones. A shooting army has to inflict very few casualties to cause a panic test on most of your units, and although you have more units where they came from I think you'll end up not getting to a dedicated gun line with much stuff left. Against combat armies you're clearly going to deploy units in front and to the side of their blocks and aim to flank them one way or another.

If I fielded 1500pts (Orc and Goblin) I'd have 4 blocks on infantry, one elite and one pretty much worthless. I have 2 chariots, 2 units of light cavalry, 1 wizard and 4 war machines. I'd try to use the war machines to batter the ironguts for as long as I could as it's the nastiest regiment. Then I'd try to spread fire between as many units of bulls as I could when you got close. I wouldn't advance at all unless a flank was refused or the units in front of my line had been repulsed. The chariots would hurt any of your units except the Ironguts.

Against those Orcs and Goblins, I would be doing my best to get m trappers over to charge your warmachines. I could even use them to screen your boltthrowers. While I can't screen your stone throwers, I would have a great chance of taking them out with trappers.

I wouldn't worry much about your wolf riders or chariots; both can be blown up with a single volley of leadbelcher fire (with a little luck anyways), and my large number of units combined with my wide frontage means it will be a chore trying to slip behind me.

One advanage I would have in this game is my fear. your support elements lose a lot of their reliability when they have to test to charge.

My giant would bee line towards your warmachines and try to make himself as big a target as he can manage; he will either soak up some warmachine fire or he will smash up the warmachine park with panic, terror, and casualties.