PDA

View Full Version : Whats important in 1000pts

Big TM
26-11-2007, 16:57
as it says on the can, What do you think is important in 1000pt armies.
eg. magic, numbers, hard hitting units...

also, what do you think I would come up against in 1000pts.
eg. as above

sigur
26-11-2007, 18:23
as it says on the can, What do you think is important in 1000pt armies.
eg. magic, numbers, hard hitting units...

also, what do you think I would come up against in 1000pts.
eg. as above

Having fun? Seriously, what did you expect people to say? If you tell us what army you play and what you have, people can come up with suggestions.

Big TM
26-11-2007, 18:28
I am planning on starting hordes of chaos around christmas and was wondering whats important for 1000pts, I was going to do tzeench or undivided, but am also thinking about cavalry. does that help

Cragspyder
26-11-2007, 18:32
I would think that in 1000 points you would need at least one unit capable of dealing with heavily armoured troops (the folks at my store tend to bring Knights, maybe that is just my area). It's just that foes with a 2+ or 1+ armour save just can't be dealt with by normal troops, you have to have something specifically designed to kill them. I could send my Kroxigors into a block unit and they would do well, but I can't send some Skinks or Terradons after a unit of Knights and expect them to accomplish anything. Or Saurus, for that matter.

So definitely something to deal with armoured troops, so cannon, S 7 hero, magic item that negates saves, etc.

As well I would recommend one thing to deal with Skirmishing troops if at all possible, though that is below priority compared to the above. I would also consider a very cheap diverting unit of Fast Cavalry or some other cheap redirecting unit.

EDIT: Chaos, eh? Well, I don't know much about them, from what I can see they don't have many of the diverse options (in terms of troop choice) that the other armies have, however all I can say is that if your opponent does not bring a cheap option to negate AS (these tend to be war machines), then a unit of Chaos Knights and a character can probably beat the entire opposing army on its own. I suppose Tzeentch is one of the best ways to go magic heavy in 1k points, though I don't recall the price of the mark...

Huoshini
26-11-2007, 18:44
Magic. Lots of it. Loads of people take light magic defence at 1000pts, so you can slaughter them with 2 level 2 wizards+a couple of bound items.

*Puts on alex trabec mustache*

And the answer: Who is, someone I wouldn't play against

Also, chaos eh? If you're going to do Mortals, then I recommend a nice Hero level beatstick. A brick of 15 chaos warriors, a splash of marauders, and a hammer unit like knights. Very basic.

(I'm just tryin to help, i really don't know that much about chaos in general)

Big TM
26-11-2007, 18:48
So if I take An Exalted champion with some Knights with a command and a warbanner and m o tzeench.And give him m o tzeench and a demonic mount I could give him a blade of blood, and enchanted shield. thats 445

I could take 3 screamers for 99 points, theyll work well because theyre flyers.
then maybe 2 units of 12 warriors with a command and sheild is 420. that leaves me with 125, could get m of tzeench on the warriors that would be 40
leaving me with 85 2 units of 7 hounds should do it.
What do u think?

ZeroTwentythree
26-11-2007, 18:56
Whats important in 1000pts

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

Huoshini
26-11-2007, 18:58
That sounds great to me. Solid infantr, hard hittin units and some screamers to take quarters and flank.

The part where i think you're screwed is that you're not going to get any rank bonus with 4 wide. (If thats what you plan to do)

Kahadras
26-11-2007, 19:05
Depends really. I prefer taking two characters at 1000 points. One to fight and lead the army, the other to provide a bit a magic cover. An example of this would be my 1000 point Empire army which has a Captain and a Battle wizard. I normaly keep magic items to a minimum to allow me to spend as many points as possible on troops.

When you build your first 1000 points it should be a copy of what your eventual 2000 point build will look like. This allows you to get an idea about how the army will handle before you start having to worry about more units to move, shoot and fight with.

With Chaos I'd say you need at least two deep block units, a unit of heavy cavalry and a couple of units of light cavalry in 1000 points. I've not seen the Chaos armies book but I'd go for...

Aspiring champion
Sorcerer

25 Marauders + FC, light armour and shield
25 Marauders + FC, light armour and shield
5 Marauder horsemen + shield
5 Marauder horsemen + shield

5 Knights of Chaos
1 Chariot of Chaos

Kahadras

Big TM
26-11-2007, 19:09
I was planning on doing 2 ranks of 6 so that they can take a couple of wounds, and still get the rank bonus.

Could add some more warriors to the units instead of the hounds.
This army should be pretty quick
Thanks

aarathi
27-11-2007, 08:50
I think it was hard hitting units

W0lf
27-11-2007, 17:20
With Chaos I'd say you need at least two deep block units, a unit of heavy cavalry and a couple of units of light cavalry in 1000 points. I've not seen the Chaos armies book but I'd go for...

my 2k has none of the above and does fairly well ;)

Tzeentch @ 1k

tip 1: Keep your hero magic items to a bare minimum, there expensive enough!

tip 2: 2 exalteds is enough. Dont ever take an aspiring champion instead of an exalted... ever.

tip 3: chosen knights are your friends. Buy them a warbanner standard and musician, never waste points on the champion.

tip 4: one block of warriors is enough. 17 with a character for best success. (6 wide of course)

tip 5: only girls take marauders :P

tip 6: Chariots are awesome.

so my 2 cents (ad what i field @ 2k)

Exalted Champion
MoT, Halberd, Steed
190 pts

Exalted champion
MoT, Halberd, spell familiar
189 pts

17 Warriors
MoT, Fc, shields
305 pts

5 chosen knights
MoT, Standard, Musician, War banner
300 pts

984 pts.

Not really everyones syle but i like it.

Or this works..

Exalted champion
MoT, Halberd,
174 pts

Exalted champion
MoT, Halberd,
174 pts

23 marauders
FC, LA, shields
186 pts

23 marauders
FC, LA, shields
186 pts

Chariot
MoT
140 pts

Chariot
MoT
140 pts

1000 pts.

of course there milions of variables.

I personally like smaller eliter armies. As a general rule however 2 exalted with MoT kept cheap (below 200 pts) is ideal.

MalusHunter
27-11-2007, 18:04
I was planning on doing 2 ranks of 6 so that they can take a couple of wounds, and still get the rank bonus.

Could add some more warriors to the units instead of the hounds.
This army should be pretty quick
Thanks

Actually they they could only take a single wound and still keep the rank bonus, after that you don't get the bonus.

Malorian
27-11-2007, 18:11
I think at 1000 magic isn't important because of the 2 auto dispell dice. Shooting is always important. And when it comes to a hard-hitting unit or several, I would always go with the several units as a 1000 point game is usually still on the same sized board as 2000 ones and you have a lot more room to play with and run around.

So for you I would take hounds and other small fast units.

Big TM
27-11-2007, 18:15
I like wolf's first list, so if I go with that

Exalted Champion
MoT, Halberd, Steed
190 pts

Exalted champion
MoT, Halberd, spell familiar
189 pts

17 Warriors
MoT, Fc, shields
305 pts

5 chosen knights
MoT, Standard, Musician, War banner
300 pts

984 pts.

Also if I take 12 wariors, could I form the 5-5-2, and sill get the rank bonus if I lose the back 2 models