PDA

View Full Version : O&G with...Ogres?

Hikigaeru
26-11-2007, 21:04
I played this game years ago and dropped it for lack of opponenets. But now I've moved and that's not an issue, so I've picked up my old army and begun regluing some things.
Anyhow, my old army was greenskins with four ogres. I loved my ogres. I even named them. But I find that the newer version of WH has an entire ogre army. That's fine, but I don't care for the way the new ogres look. So I decided to stick with my old ogres in my old army. But I then find that greenskins can't hire ogres now...great.
So, my question is this: does there exist some loophole in the rules that will allow me to use my ogres in my O&G army? Please and thank you.

Aelyn
26-11-2007, 21:08
I played this game years ago and dropped it for lack of opponenets. But now I've moved and that's not an issue, so I've picked up my old army and begun regluing some things.
Anyhow, my old army was greenskins with four ogres. I loved my ogres. I even named them. But I find that the newer version of WH has an entire ogre army. That's fine, but I don't care for the way the new ogres look. So I decided to stick with my old ogres in my old army. But I then find that greenskins can't hire ogres now...great.
So, my question is this: does there exist some loophole in the rules that will allow me to use my ogres in my O&G army? Please and thank you.
There is indeed. The entire Ogre Kingdoms army book can be hired out as mercenaries, and there is a single Ogre unit of Dogs of War (Golgfag's Mercenary Ogres, I believe) that can also be hired.

The drawback is that (assuming you don't want to do the fairly-dodgy counts-as Trolls option) you need to have a second book...

Hikigaeru
26-11-2007, 21:10
Oh. Well, psh. I was told that Greenskins can no longer hire mercenaries. Guess I'll be checking into that. Thanks!

ZomboCom
26-11-2007, 21:43
You can still take ogres. Ironguts, Bulls and Leadbelchers count as a rare choice, Maneaters count as two rares.

Check this page for info on O+G still being allowed to hire DoW: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301082&orignav=13

Gazak Blacktoof
27-11-2007, 10:03
Oh. Well, psh. I was told that Greenskins can no longer hire mercenaries. Guess I'll be checking into that. Thanks!

The newer books have had the dogs of war entry removed. This does not mean that you can not use dogs of war though.

Every unit of dogs of war tells you within its own rules which armies can hire the unit and what kind of unit choice it is i.e.Lord/ Hero/ Core/ Special/ Rare or some combination of choices.

Orcs and goblins can take any unit from the dogs of war list (except dwarfs), most of the regiments of renown, ogre bulls, iron guts, maneaters and leadbelchers from the ogre kingdoms book.