PDA

View Full Version : New Skaven List

Crisis Man
27-11-2007, 03:12
Hi everyone Ive recently decided to start a skaven hoarde to add to my vampire counts and empire armies. This list is centered around Clan Moulder and is my first draft so please rip it apart as you please but please dont tell me to take many other units from the other clans. I really like Moulder and if that means i will lose alot i dont care

Grey Seer Thrinrot Snarl
Ring of Darkness
Dispel Scroll x2
The grey seer goes with the stormvermin for protection and to protect them from magic

Master Moulder
Light Armour
Great Weapon
This master goes with one of the Clanrat units

Master Moulder
Light Armour
Great Weapon
This master goes with the other Clanrat unit

Master Moulder
Skaven Brew
Light Armour
Whip
This Master goes with a unit of rat ogres he uses the brew to hit a flank hard and then plow through the rest of the army

30 Clanrats
Full Command

30 Clanrats
Full Command

5 Giant Rat Packs

5 Giant Rat Packs

30 Slaves

30 Slaves

30 Stormvermin
Full Command
Banner of Burning Hatred
Warpfire Thrower

3 Rat swarms

4 Rat ogres

4 Rat ogres

2245 Points
6 Power Dice
4 Dispel Dice
Model Count-255

The basic plan is the slaves start on the line in wide formations. The Giant rats on thier flanks then the clanrats and the stromvermin behind with rat ogres on their flanks. The slaves and giant rats are the first wave when they die the second wave of better troops will hit the enemy line. Well thanks for any help in advance guys.

Makarion
27-11-2007, 04:58
Hate to be a spoilsport, but how do you plan to deal with cavalry or chariots? I can *so* see overrun be a serious problem...

Another problem I see is the ogres. Due to them being large, they can be shot at over the heads of the front line, so they cannot be sheltered. And when they panic, there's mayhem in the lins...

Otherwise, glad to see an original Skaven list! Good luck :)

radbug
27-11-2007, 09:59
The list is different but not bad. I have some suggestions for changes to improve it though.

Master moulders in clanrats seems a bit strange. Only your giant rats and the rat ogres can benefit from the beastmaster rule so i would go with standard chieftains for the clanrats instead, or even better, a warlock engineers to spice up your magic phase.

Your grey seer seems to be only equipped for defense which means your putting 300-400 points on a character that will not get to many spells through. Tool him up with some offensive magic boosting items like eye of the horned rat or such.

The rat ogres are not large so they can not be shot at over other targets. Problem might still be that they are rather wide (they have to be 4 rat ogres wide = aprox. 6-7")so they might have a problem flanking units. Also rat ogres are looked upon as not the best unit in the game. I would replace some of them with some jezzails to take out enemy cavalry.

Swarms are typically not worth the points now in the 7th edition as they crumble in the same way as undead meaning that they wont last nearly as long as they used to.

Skavenbrew is cool but has a tendency to botch when needed the most. Try it and have fun but you might want to replace it with something a little more reliable.

Have fun and playtest the list as much as possible to see what suits you.

/R

gerrymander61
27-11-2007, 20:42
When I still used rat ogres, I deployed them in 3 because in a horde army, 4 wide just, well, doesn't fit so nicely. I would drop the banner of burning hatred and replace it with a simple warbanner. Is powerful in a different way, and doesn't put make your most expensive unit uncontrollable.

The only big issue with your army is your character set up. Your grey seer offers fantastic magic defence but at way too high a cost. Either give him an engineer or 2 to let him use his magical prowess, or drop him for a warlord and a warlock. 3 master moulders is over the top; with proper spacing all your moulder units can benefit from jsut 2 of them.

Other than that it looks like a fun list. Looking forward to the new skaven army book so's i can write something like that, and so's rat swarms will be fixed