PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my 2000 point Empire list

Caligula
27-11-2007, 04:02
Hey all. I'm in the process of putting together a 2000 point Empire list, and I need some help with the finishing touches, namely with what magic items to distribute to my characters, and overall army composition. Here's the list without any magic items as it stands now.

Arch Lector of Sigmar-
Heavy Armour
Shield
War Altar of Sigmar

Captain of the Empire-
Full Plate Armour
Battle Standard Bearer

Warrior Priest-
Two-handed Hammer
Heavy Armour

Battle Wizard-
Level 2

20 Swordsmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Duellist

Detachment-
10 Halberdiers

Detachment-
10 Archers

20 Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant

Detachment-
10 Free Company

Detachment-
10 Crossbowmen

10 Handgunners-
Marksman
Repeater Handgun

5 Pistoliers-
Musician
Outrider
Repeater Pistol

5 Knights-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Preceptor
Inner Circle

Great Cannon

20 Flagellants-
Prophet of Doom

Helstorm Rocket Battery

TOTAL-1845pts.

So, what should I equip my characters with? And how is the overall army looking?

RavenBloodwind
27-11-2007, 04:23
Hmm, methinks you're going to have a list for every warhammer army at this pace. When you start working on chaos dwarfs it's time to seek professional help.

Regarding your list:
I think the arch lector is becoming an overly popular choice because his 3 bound spells is really hard to argue against. Personally I'm not a fan but only for flavor, not because he's not really useful. Standard kit includes an improved save, ward save and lots of folk give him the van horstman's speculum as well. Personally I prefer the speculum on a wizard but nobody seems to listen to me on this.

Your BSB should be build to survive. Full plate and barded warhorse is a cheap start although dawn armor and a ward save is certainly a nice build as well.

Warrior priest is a handy spot for another bound spell item (doomfire ring).

Caddie is caddie is caddie. You pretty well have to have one these days.

Troops:
Your infantry are a bit small. Most would go with 24-25 to assure you still have 3 full ranks when combat is joined. Your detachments seem fine although move-or-shoot missile detachments can get left behind if you find yourself obliged to go to your opponent (gunline).

Your flagellants are core because you have a warrior priest (well 2) but I'd look into making them smaller. Depending on how you intend to use them you could shave some points by running ~15 (2x7, 3x6 work). I don't use flagellants for the same reason I don't use the warrior priest/lectors but they have their utility.

Your small handgunner unit seems to be a place filler for obligatory core which is resolved by the above. I'd think about another full ranked regimen of troops with the handgunners (minus champ) as a detachment. Otherwise they're okay but can cause panic after that 3rd casualty.

Pistoliers are fine although the points for the champ upgrade may not be worth it all the time (especially when you need to buy 5 more swordsmen and 5 more spearmen).

The knights seem too small. I'd consider 2 things (since this build makes them a supporting flanking force): make them plain knights to save points, increase their number to 6 and drop musician and banner. A 6-man unit with champion makes a great and cheap flanker force which is essentially expendable. Even if you leave them inner circle bump number to 6 but keep command and I'd try a warbanner.

Cannon's fine.

I'd also think about using a mortar in place of the helstorm. It's more 'accurate' and plenty effective and a hell of alot cheaper. The saved points would allow you to bulk out your other units.

Cheers!

Caligula
27-11-2007, 14:35
Thanks very much, Raven! You've been very helpful in the past, and continue to be so. Hah, yes...I really need to stop with the army insanity. I think I'm just trying to find the right fit, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Hopefully the Empire will sort me out...

Okay, thank you muchly for all the advice. I'm going to make some changes to the list. You're right about the Arch Lector, and honestly I'm not sure if I want him as my general. I think I'd much prefer a Templar Grand Master. He's a brilliant warrior and makes a unit of Knights go from good to amazing. So I might change that up a bit...

Anyway, I'll return with a revised list!