PDA

View Full Version : Which army is for me?

geteg
27-11-2007, 04:48
Re-post from my intro thread. Not sure if every1 saw it or not. =)

Hiyas every1. I'm a new player need help choosing an army. I wanna go with a fast assault themed army. I can't deicde between SM and CSM tho. So if you could lemme know what chapters/factions for SM/CSM are good for a fast assault list, I can start sorting thru em and try to find the right list for me. Or any other general advice n stuff you can give would be a big help. Thanks.

azimaith
27-11-2007, 05:27
To be honest, if you wanna be fast in assault, tyranids are alot better choice. Space Marines still can't quite beat out more directed armies.

If just wanna play marines cause: "Man they're cool!" Great! The more players we have playing any army because: "Hey its cool!" the less beardy cheeseball stuff I run into and the more narrative games get.

I've heard good things about blood angels and their death company. Best thing is, their codex is free :P.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/bloodangels-codex/1/

Triggerdog
27-11-2007, 05:29
I'd say Blood Angels or Ravenguard for rapid assault.

alternatively if you want a slower assault that hits alot harder you could opt for Space Wolves.

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
27-11-2007, 05:32
If ya want a fast, assaulty army, then Marine-Boyz an' dere spiky brethren ain't fer yoo. No, leave those weedy gits behind, and join us Orkz! We's got really fast, cheap transports, 4 attacks on the charge, an' Power Klaw Nobz ta krump our skumgrods good.

In all seriousness, orks fit your description perfectly. while they can be a slow, footslogging horde, they can instead be lightning fast, with their Trukks, Stormboyz and bikes. For now, use the Speed Freeks list, and when the new codex comes out, you'll have Trukks for your troops anyway, according to a certain rumour/PDF. Or just wait for the new codex and models and build your army then.

The last thing about Orks is the modeling potential. No other army lets you turn junk into kool-lookin' vehicles. Orks are excellent for the creative-minded hobbyist who enjoys making unique conversions.

marneus54
27-11-2007, 05:37
Something that's fast AND hits hard. 13th company wolven. Not sure if it's a playable list anymore. But they make some nid players poop their pants.

Getifa Ubazza
27-11-2007, 05:44
If it must be marines, i'd go Blood Angels. Assault marines as troops and Death company with rending and jump packs. You cant go wrong.

Otherwise: Tyranids are a great assault army and the models are so easy to paint. You can even dip them. There fast and you get to use big monsters. Who doesnt like monsters?

geteg
27-11-2007, 14:33
Otherwise: Tyranids are a great assault army and the models are so easy to paint. You can even dip them. There fast and you get to use big monsters. Who doesnt like monsters?

Hrm. Tell me more about these tyranids.

I just figured marines cuz I'm a new player, and every1 says use marines as your first army. But I am totally open to whatever, erm except orks lol. I've just never been a fan of orks, of any type. Thanks.

possessed
27-11-2007, 15:33
try the MacCragge intro boxed set, it has both marines and nids.
Nids are a good army to start with and has great modeling and painting potential.

Meriwether
27-11-2007, 16:22
Buy the army whose models you love. If you don't love the models, you'll never get 'em painted. (Or at the very least, painting will be a chore.)

Cheers,

Meri

Grazzy
27-11-2007, 16:51
Take a nid horde of gaunts and stealers. They will move across the board into assault pretty sharpish.

sigur
27-11-2007, 19:11
Meriwether got it. Have a look at the miniatures and background yourself. Don't let random internet people decide for you.

the1stpip
27-11-2007, 20:34
I'm sorry, but what springs to mind when you say 'Hit fast, hit hard'...

It has to be Dark Eldar, and probably your greatest advantage is that so many people have no idea what they can do, and the models are cheap as chips on ebay.

Certain configurations work and some don't, but if you wanted to go with them, it is easy enough to put togethera good army list.

Meriwether
27-11-2007, 20:59
I'm sorry, but what springs to mind when you say 'Hit fast, hit hard'...

It has to be Dark Eldar, and probably your greatest advantage is that so many people have no idea what they can do, and the models are cheap as chips on ebay.

Yeah, but you left out the fact that the models suck. I've owned 3000 points of DE since they came out because I got them for half price, and aside from a base-coat have never painted more than 15 guys and a raider. I can't get into 'em, even though I like the way they play.

Cheers,

Meri

Arhalien
27-11-2007, 21:02
Just to add in another option here; Black Templars. Not as fast as Blood Angels, but still pretty nasty in assault. THe rules are nice and different to the other marine chapters and they have a lovely upgrade sprue available for them.
Oh, and the BT FW ven dread is just superb :D

But, as Sigur said, make the final choice yourself; if you're set on one particular thing, do that; ignore what we tell you ;)

the1stpip
27-11-2007, 22:18
I am currently building my second army, and I have converted the Warriors (from the originals) at virtually no extra expense, and they are far superior.

If you don't like the models, but like the army, then change the models...

Norsehawk
27-11-2007, 23:44
As far as a description of the Tyranids, think of a mix between The zerg from starcraft, the aliens from the alien series of movies, and the bugs from the starship troopers movie. Tyranids are all about specialized troops. There are shooty bugs, melee bugs, and some bugs that can be designed to do both (but usually specializing one way or the other on a bug works best)

Tyranids are a force that are attacking the Milky Way galaxy from outside. The typical modus operandi is to infiltrate genestealers onto a planet (think of the movie aliens) who then build a base of power. Once they reach a certain critical point, they begin calling in the rest of the hive fleet. Once the hive fleet arrives, it begins bombarding the planet with spores that alter the genetic material of the planet to make it more tyranid like. Then bigger spores start falling from the sky full of different attack creatures.

Once they overwhelm the planet (this is the weakness) the ships swoop closer to the planet. At this point, it begins siphoning up all biological matter on the planet, followed by the seas and then the atmosphere. Once the tyranids are finished with a planet, all that is left is a bare ball of rock.

In an assault of a planet, if the attacking forces are wiped out, the hive ship can starve since it cannot reingest all of the biomass of the creatures it created for that assault, as well as the biomass of everything they killed.

Wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranid

The Tyranid battlecry pretty much is summed up as OM NOM NOM NOM (the sound of eating)

MuttMan
28-11-2007, 00:16
Why not pick the models you want, convert them, then use the good rules for a fast melee army?

NightLord
28-11-2007, 00:20
You want to play a fast Marine army you say? Well do I have the answer for you! There are a few choices which just rock...

Now not true to the original marine codex the dark angels are a stand alone codex with the option to field an all bike army. They have a sweet special character selection that aren't overpowered and thus no one ever complains when they are used (In my experience.) Super fast super deadly... Ravenwing... They are just plain great! I am thinking of starting a force of them myself.

For chaos there is such an option... The ultimate strike force... Ok not really... But night lords are a fun theme to have in your army. They take raptors and bikers and are just lots of fun with some really powerful lords and big guns to support them...

I also suggest looking at the Modeling and Painting log to get an idea of what armies look like when painted well and how people progress through the projects.

Imperialis_Dominatus
28-11-2007, 00:32
If you want a fast, assaulty army, you have quite a few choices. First, though, I'd look into the background, the models, etc. Really, mull it over. An army is a monetary investment. I wish I'd thought up my ideas for my Chaotic force much earlier in my career... I'd have saved so much time and money.

If you come up with conversions to make models that you love, fluff you'll never get sick of, and an army that is competetive and fun to play, you've reached the apex of the hobby in my opinion.

My opinion: Raptors got a lot better with the new Chaos (cheaper I should say), and Rhinos are almost cheap as free. If you want a hard-hitting assaulty force with some great mobility, hey, the dark side is always there for you. It's a great army to play, lots of fun stuff, really forgiving compared to some armies, but not as n00blet as Space Marines are percieved to be. Awesome in assault as well, even the basic troopers are better than Marines in my opinion with an Icon of Chaos Glory.

But pick what you want, paint what you want, post what you want.

geteg
28-11-2007, 02:16
Great info guys. Keep it comin'. Thanks. =)

Cornelius
28-11-2007, 02:26
Blood Angels, or Vanilla Marines, if it's your first army...

marneus54
28-11-2007, 03:37
Blood Angels, or Vanilla Marines, if it's your first army...

Vanille marines??? :wtf:
What are they?

LightedDark
28-11-2007, 03:47
For Fast and Assulty

Nid as stated
Eldar (It's Eldar but easier then Guard)
Speed Freaks = Orks(will get killed alot, getting new Codex)
Guard w/ rough rider and Orgy (hard)
Dark Eldar (Glass hammer very hard)
Demonhunters
Blood Angles
Dark Angles (if careful)

And of course whatever looks shiny to you

marneus54
28-11-2007, 04:47
)
Guard w/ rough rider and Orgy (hard)

Orgy? You mean Ogryns?

chaos
28-11-2007, 09:45
he he maybe not

Cornelius
28-11-2007, 11:27
Vanille marines??? :wtf:
What are they?

Plain, ordinary Marines.

Captain Micha
28-11-2007, 13:27
If it really -has- to be marines play Blood Angels.
If you want an army that really hits hard and fast play Dark Eldar. (I suggest converting Eldar and Dark Elf minis)