PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Speakers Please Confirm

The Dude
27-11-2007, 03:56
Please confirm this story (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22795914-13762,00.html).

I really want it to be true, but fear that it isn't :p

MrP
27-11-2007, 04:29
Onanism is the Welsh word for masturbation.

Is it? Well, it's certainly an English word for masturbation. Seems odd that the Welsh would be precisely the same. Lazy reporting, I suspect. ;)

The report's also a bit off in claiming the town is Cae Onan. It's actually Morda on the Shropshire border - according to another entry about the story. The B5069 is Morda Bank according to the AA's routefinder, but I can't see Cae Onan on it. Morda seems to be just south of Oswestry, so I've driven near it dozens of times over the years. Never heard of this, but we have plenty of weird names for roads in the UK. I'm sure some middle class types in Surrey were up in arms a few years back because their road was called Whore's Avenue or something, er, more obscene.

The Dude
27-11-2007, 04:33
Is it? Well, it's certainly an English word for masturbation. Seems odd that the Welsh would be precisely the same. Lazy reporting, I suspect. ;)

You learn something new every day, I suppose. I've never heard the term before, and we Aussies are renowned for our many and colourful terms for the act ;).

MrP
27-11-2007, 04:39
You learn something new every day, I suppose. I've never heard the term before, and we Aussies are renowned for our many and colourful terms for the act ;).

Aye, that'll be the problem - onanism's too old. The 'Stralian is probably something that turns the air blue. :D

Arianwen
27-11-2007, 08:33
Never heard the word before in my life, but that's not to say it may not be correct. It's certainly not in use down in the south.

chromedog
27-11-2007, 09:07
Onanism got a mention in "The matrix reloaded" - it's in one of the scenes from "Enter the matrix". Ghost talks of :
"like my mentor, St Augustine, I've dedicated myself to a higher cause."
"Which is?" : Trinity
"Onanism."
"Is that why the saints were all blind?"

Ghost is an aussie. It was an adlib that he threw in. They were given some latitude when it came to changing dialogue. Some of the american cast learned a bit on the set of those movies.

McMullet
27-11-2007, 10:52
The report's also a bit off in claiming the town is Cae Onan. It's actually Morda on the Shropshire border - according to another entry about the story. The B5069 is Morda Bank according to the AA's routefinder, but I can't see Cae Onan on it. Morda seems to be just south of Oswestry, so I've driven near it dozens of times over the years. Never heard of this, but we have plenty of weird names for roads in the UK. I'm sure some middle class types in Surrey were up in arms a few years back because their road was called Whore's Avenue or something, er, more obscene.

Well, this is rather exciting, I'm sure that's the first mention of my native Oswestry on Warseer. :D I also went to secondary school in Morda (nearly).

I can't say I've ever heard anyone back home complaining about this Cae Onan place (nor have I heard of the place itself). However, Shropshire does have a history of these things - it's also called "Salop" which is a French word loosely translating as "****". So, in Oswestry we have French **** Road, on which is located a pretty decent chippy, the French **** Fish Bar.

EDIT: Story from the local rag, the Oswestry and Borders Advertiser: http://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/Road-name-raises-a-smile.3477505.jp

The section on WI meetings and Vegetable competitions is a killer if you ever get hold of a copy.

Bombot
27-11-2007, 11:32
My intepretation is it's not meant to be a Welsh term - the point is Onan doesn't mean anything in Welsh, so the only thing they have to fall back on is its Biblical and English association (which I have heard of).

slaaneshes_own
27-11-2007, 15:16
My intepretation is it's not meant to be a Welsh term - the point is Onan doesn't mean anything in Welsh, so the only thing they have to fall back on is its Biblical and English association (which I have heard of).

Seconded. Cae does indeed mean "Meadow" but "Onan" afaik has no translation from Welsh to English or indeed vice versa.

Joe

de Selby
27-11-2007, 16:03
Onan is a proper name. A character from the bible, famously (and rather unfairly) associated with a particular sin of the flesh...

The pestilent 1
27-11-2007, 16:10
Onan is a proper name. A character from the bible, famously (and rather unfairly) associated with a particular sin of the flesh...

You mean there are people in the bible who are treated fairly?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
27-11-2007, 16:17

I think you'll find we Brits are the Kings and Queens of swearies and euphanism!

After all, Viz have just published the third edition of the Profanisaurus, which has well over 10,000 rude terms!

Obviously, being PG13, I couldn't possibly post any up here.....

The Dude
27-11-2007, 22:24
After all, Viz have just published the third edition of the Profanisaurus, which has well over 10,000 rude terms!

This sounds like a most useful tome. I shall have to look into it :p

slaaneshes_own
27-11-2007, 23:10
I would. Very funny book. I have one of the first editions of the book - well worth a read!

Joe

Wolf Sgt Kirke
28-11-2007, 02:32
never heard of a translation for that particular word in cymraeg - only ever heard it in english

RavenMorpheus
28-11-2007, 17:03
Please confirm this story (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22795914-13762,00.html).

I really want it to be true, but fear that it isn't :p

I lol'd and as I deal with the North Wales Police on a daily basis I can believe this is true... :D

Comrade Wraith
28-11-2007, 19:38
Well i dno, i have absolutely no idea what the welsh word for it is, as i havnt ever needed it........... id have thought (youll need to be welsh for this one) it would be tossio i ffwrdd:D

ahem....back to other threads.....

EDIT:Swiftly

reds8n
29-11-2007, 09:24
I would. Very funny book. I have one of the first editions of the book - well worth a read!

Joe

Indeed. Speaking of Viz did anyone else here see the Gw strip they did ? painfully accurate. In an episode of Terry *&^%wit he was painting Abaddon as well.

slaaneshes_own
30-11-2007, 23:26
id have thought (youll need to be welsh for this one) it would be tossio i ffwrdd :D

ahem....back to other threads.....

EDIT:Swiftly

Accurate.

I've always said it as "wedi jaco" - with hand gestures where appropriate... ;)

Joe

Comrade Wraith
01-12-2007, 19:25
Accurate.

I've always said it as "wedi jaco" - with hand gestures where appropriate... ;)

Joe

Haha yeah i never thought of that one. I love the language :)