PDA

View Full Version : Stand and Shoot vs. The Howler Wind

Kotobuki
27-11-2007, 05:23
This came up in a game LONG ago, and my opponent and I reached a decision in game that made sense to the two of us, but I've always wondered if the decision made sense to the rest of the population at large. I don't recall having ever brought it up, so I thought I'd do so now, having just read a short thread on Stand and Shoot and being reminded of it.

I have a unit of Knights (16" charge range) who wish to charge a unit with S4 missile weapons 11" away. A Wizard who has cast The Howler Wind is approx 8" away from the Knights, almost directly opposite the targeted charge.

At the time of the charge declaration, the Knights are well within the protective envelope of The Howler Wind, and thus cannot be targeted by the weapons of the unit being charged. By the time they are outside of the protection of the spell, they are now only 7" away from their target, inside the required 1/2 charge distance for stand and shoot.

After discussing it with the opponent we agreed that the Knights could not be shot. Was this correct?

Atrahasis
27-11-2007, 05:26
The S&S reaction is worked out as soon as the knights are in range - if they happen to be within the protection of Howler Wind at that point then they're safe.

Alathir
27-11-2007, 08:43
Atrahasis is entirely correct.

EvC
27-11-2007, 11:17
Is he? As soon as the Knights are in range- so partway during the "move chargers" sequence then...

Festus
27-11-2007, 11:20
Yes, it can be partway. But it doesn't need to.

Read Atrahasis reply again: * - if they happen to be ...*

Festus

Griefbringer
27-11-2007, 12:05
Notice that the original poster does not specify what range the used weapons had - if they had 11+ inches range, then the shooting would have taken place at the initial position of the charging unit.

If they had been armed with weapons with 4" or 6" range, then the shooting would have taken place at that range.

Fate
27-11-2007, 12:30
Yes, assuming it's a weapon with more than 11" range they can't stand and shot. I do find the rule stupid cause if units can wait till they get within range like pistol firing at cavalary once they reach within 8". It would also be logica for the unit to chose the best time to firewhich should be whenthe enemy is in close range. I've made more than many stand and shot actions at enemies charging at 13" and needless to say that they only hit on a 6 where if the rules where better they should hit at 5.