PDA

View Full Version : Fluff concerning the Outsider and the Void Dragon?

Burning Star IV
27-11-2007, 04:26
These two C'tan really interest me, but I know virtually nothing about them other than they're scary (surprise). Does anyone have any info on them, or the implications on the 40k universe if they awaken?

azimaith
27-11-2007, 04:38
Theres some fluff on the void dragon in the eldar myths where he basically eats a star to go kill an eldar fleet.

The fluff on the outsider is even more limited to the eldar myth cycles where he goes nuts, and to corteswains account where he sees the inside of the Dyson sphere in the necron codex. Its far and few between.

The void dragon is also inferred to be sleeping on Mars in the Noctis Labyrinth where he sleep eats people (as they note theres alot souls set free in the warp there so daemons gather).

As for implications. Well the outsider is never specifies to have gone to sleep, and its nasty enough that hive fleet Leviathan diverted around the systems the Dyson sphere was near.

As for the dragon, Abbaddon learned about it and started laughing as hes on the Imperiums doorstep. If Abbaddons laughing, its probobly none to good.

Pokey ork
27-11-2007, 04:40
Well as far as I know, the Outsider is possibly the second most powerful of the four C'tan remaining, or perhaps on par alongside the Nightbringer. The reason being, as stated in the Necron codex, the laughing god or possibly the Deceiver in disguise tricked the Outsider into consuming many of its fellow C'tan. As a result of this the Outsider became considerably more powerful but was also driven mad and fled to an unknown area of space. As for its abilities, the Outsider is said to drive all within its vicinity insane, similar to the Nightbringer. It can also be taken it has the same general abilities of its siblings i.e God like strength and abilities.

AS for its current location there is speculation that it is hiding in a Dyson sphere of some form though it is never clarified. The fact the Tyranids avoid it however at least gives us a subtle hint.

As for the Void dragon, it is by far the most powerful of all the C'tan and it could be said it is the master of the material universe. According to Eldar legend it was mentioned his Necron warriors were capable of taking down several hundred Eldar warriors before perishing. Even then it would simply repair itself. This would probably hint the Void dragon him/her/itself has access to considerably more powerful Necron warriors.

There is also an Eldar legend of Vaul constructing the Talismans of Vaul to combat the Void dragon. In addition to this Vaul constructed soldiers which are very similar of description to Wrathlords and Guards to accompany him in battle against the Dragon. Vaul then used the Talismans in an attempt to destroy the Void dragon. Unfortunately that is where the legend ends so it is unknown what actually happened aferwards, as mentioned by Kandarin.

There is also speculation that the Void dragon is residing in Mars, sleeping deep within the planet until the time to awaken is most appropriate. There was also an attempt to destroy or possibly awaken the Void dragon when Three Necron ships penetrated the defenses of Mars. Two were destroyed and one crash landed severely damaged.

However there is also a hint the Deceiver wants the Dragon dead, as a particular person of higher rank whom the Deceiver had taken shape of before demanded that the site be obliterated or sealed off completely from where they suspected the Dragon was hiding. One possible reason for this, if it is indeed true, is that the Void dragon's power is so immense that it could sweep aside the grand plan the Deceiver and kill its fellows, only to harvest the entire galaxy for itself.

That is all i really know of the two C'tan you have asked of, but i hope this proves helpful.

EDIT: My bad there Kandarin. Though i have heard from some sources that the talismans did indeed shake up the Dragon considerably, though I should probably have not taken their word for it.

Kandarin
27-11-2007, 05:03
Actually, we don't know anything about the effect that the Talismans of Vaul had on the Void Dragon. The legend abruptly ends right before Vaul and the Dragon were about to do battle. It could be that the Talisman of Vaul had no real effect on the Dragon. It could be that the Talisman did so much damage to the Dragon that it had to retreat into hibernation for 65 million years and counting just to remain alive. We simply don't know.

Inquisitor Engel
27-11-2007, 05:34
It could be that the Talisman did so much damage to the Dragon that it had to retreat into hibernation for 65 million years and counting just to remain alive. We simply don't know.

The evidence of Vaul's continued existence after the battle is reason enough to presume that the Void Dragon was at least damaged enough to retreat from the battle since Vaul was clearly still around.

Khaine's battle with Nightbringer was one of the last battles of the War in Heaven before the C'tan went into hibernation, since Vaul wasn't crippled until after the battle (Khaine was busy you know, fighting) and being crippled, couldn't have mobilized, though he could have created them.

Also, when She Who Thirsts was born its said that She consumed ALL the Eldar Gods, with the exception of Khaine. The exception is thoroughly explained, were Vaul's force to have lost the battle with the Dragon, I'd expect Vaul to have been killed in some fashion by the Dragon and thus, have a blurb explaining why he was not consumed with Morai-Heg, Lileath, Isha, Asuryan, Kournous and the rest of the Eldar Pantheon. (Since, according to "Farseer," there were hundreds of them)

Burning Star IV
27-11-2007, 06:31
Wow. Well I'm far more informed now. Thank you.

How plausible is it that we'll see either/ both of these C'tan in the actual game at some point? It seems more likely than before, with apocalypse perhaps...?

Iracundus
27-11-2007, 07:40
There is a less convoluted proof of the chronology of the Khaine battle with the Nightbringer. In the leadup to that battle is where Khaine discovers Vaul's mortal blade mixed in among the 99 other Vaul made blades. That is what leads to the much later subsequent Vaul vs. Khaine confrontation.

Sarke
27-11-2007, 08:31
You could always try to read this http://uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/eldar%2Dmythology/

There are olso hints that Vaul created The Blackstone Fortresses to destroy or at least top the Dragon and the rest of the C'Tan.

Burning Star IV
27-11-2007, 09:15
I guess my last post should be somewhere in the rumors forum. Scratch that question.

Clockwork-Knight
27-11-2007, 09:20
Keep in mind that the Eldars are quite poetic with their language. The thing about the swords with Eldar souls in it and Khaine fighting the Nightbringer could very well be about a giant space-fleet equipped with Infinity Circuits fighting the Necron fleet, and the two respective deities guiding their fleets in a flagship. The one mortal sword could also mean that it was an inferior ship that didn't hold squat when under pressure.

It doesn't have to be so, though, and it's still possible that it really was about Khaine fighting mano--mano with the Nightbringer, of course.

Just something to consider.

Nazguire
27-11-2007, 09:28
Keep in mind that the Eldars are quite poetic with their language. The thing about the swords with Eldar souls in it and Khaine fighting the Nightbringer could very well be about a giant space-fleet equipped with Infinity Circuits fighting the Necron fleet, and the two respective deities guiding their fleets in a flagship. The one mortal sword could also mean that it was an inferior ship that didn't hold squat when under pressure.

It doesn't have to be so, though, and it's still possible that it really was about Khaine fighting mano--mano with the Nightbringer, of course.

Just something to consider.

Never thought about it that way. I would like it a bit of both however. I can't see swords at all holding up to the Necron technologies (which were at their height at that time) apart from the duel between Khaine and the Nightbringer.

different13
27-11-2007, 14:21
That depends on how you see the Eldar gods - if they're warp entities, I'd imagine a "vaul-sword" being similar to a daemon weapon (in which case it would do rather well against C'tan, no?)

Though I'm not at all sure what exactly Eldar gods are, so don't quote me on that.

As for the question of either C'tan waking up - in my opinion it'd be an anti-climax. Both have been hyped up as uber-beings - one's so powerful that even a whole tyranid fleet avoids him, and the other is literally on Earth's doorstep (and may be worshipped as the Machine God). If either wakes up, the universe or Earth are pretty much screwed.

It'd turn out like the various Chaos Incursions or Black Crusades - it'll start off big, but then the forces of good will overcome the forces of evil to maintain the status quo - after all, anything unbalancing the various factions (fluffwise) could lead to diminished sales of said faction..

Though the Void Dragon waking up would lead to some interesting Necron troop types at last/least..

Inquisitor Engel
27-11-2007, 14:36
There is a less convoluted proof of the chronology of the Khaine battle with the Nightbringer. In the leadup to that battle is where Khaine discovers Vaul's mortal blade mixed in among the 99 other Vaul made blades. That is what leads to the much later subsequent Vaul vs. Khaine confrontation.

Khaine only discovered Vaul had tricked him DURING the battle when the portion of the circle of warriors began to fail because one of them only had a normal sword rather than a "Wraith-Blade."

It was once the Eldar line was broken that Kaelis-Ra showed up. I've always taken this to be one of the final battles of the War in Heaven, since it apparently ended once the C'tan began hibernating. Khaine's wrath must have been swift indeed, having lost 100 of his finest warriors to Vaul's trickery.

Mechanicus
27-11-2007, 15:50
In response to the whole Vaul/Void Dragon encounter; Xenology features a paragraph of an Eldar myth which features the sentence "In pearls of Vaul was Dragon becalmed". Take that as you will... :)