any improvements, swaps you have just tell me

thanks!

Latro
27-11-2007, 09:18
A cheap option I like very much:

- Rune of Stone
- Rune of Resistance
- Great Weapon and Shield

Depending on the opponent you can choose between 1+ save with re-roll and strength 4 attacks or 3+ save with re-roll and strength 6 attacks.

:cool:

bluey
27-11-2007, 16:46
3+ save with re-roll and strength 6 attacks

now thats good runesmithing:D

Makarion
27-11-2007, 22:20
Great weapon plus the rune that gives first strike? Cheap and effective. If you want, you can add another rune for some protection, of course, but I tend to prefer to not go overboard on magic gear.

RavenBloodwind
27-11-2007, 22:41
Makarion: both the rune of kragg the grim and swiftness are master runes so can't be put on the same weapon. Putting runes other than Kragg on a greatweapon negates its strength bonus.

But for the build on the character I think Latro's is very workable.

Makarion
28-11-2007, 01:23
Good to know, our local dwarf player has been mis-using that, then.

RavenBloodwind
28-11-2007, 05:00
By all means have a gander at the dwarf army book. The rune item building rules are pretty straightforward. Key things with master runes are that you can't have more than one on a single item and you can't have more than one of any given master rune in the same army.

Hopefully your local player has made an honest mistake but the rules on what happens when you put runes on a great weapon are very clear. It effectively becomes a handweapon (although arguably would keep you from using a shield).

Dead Man Walking
28-11-2007, 08:52
Master rune of challenge, the rune for 1+ armor save, magic resistance 1 (gives mag resis1 to whole unit) and great weapon. Stick him in a unit of hammerers. Come and get some.

Muzzle
30-11-2007, 04:01
It effectively becomes a handweapon (although arguably would keep you from using a shield).

Minor point of contention here... the rules for the Master Rune of
Kragg the Grim state:

It allows the great weapon to retain its normal abilities (+2 str, strike last etc).

Obviously you cannot combine master runes on the same object, however
with the MRoKtG, you can put other minor runes on the GW, while retaining
its GW properties.

Bran Dawri
30-11-2007, 11:50
You're already at 75 points for your thane, so you can't add any other runes.

For different configurations try these:

MRO swiftness, RO cleaving, RO stone, shield
2+ save, always strike first w/ S5, and 25 points left to spend as you see fit. I recommend a MRO challenge, a RO resistance or a RO fury.
(Not recommended against the new high elves, by the way)

MRO gromril, RO resistance, greatweapon.
1+ rerollable save, 3S6 attacks, and again, 25 points left over to spend as you see fit.

stonehorse
30-11-2007, 11:52
I always go for 2 runes of Fury, rune of Stone, rune of Luck, and the Master rune of Spite for my Dwarf Lord, put him on an Oathstone and have him join a big block of Ironbreakers... it takes a lot to move them.

For Thanes, I take Shield, Rune of Stone (it really is a no brainer), Master Rune of Adamant, Rune of Resistance. Toughness 6 with a 1+ save in combat which can be re-rolled. Or drop the Shield, Take a Great Weapon, and he's now got a 3+ save, and attacks at strength 6. It'll take a lot to kill him and he'll rack up the kills.

Mercules
30-11-2007, 16:00
I have seen the Master Rune of Gromril and Rune of Resistance for Runic Armor time and again. 1+ Sv and reroll failed saves is nice(until you hit something that doesn't allow armor saves).

wageslave
01-12-2007, 19:47
Go with the "Thane of Pain"- MRo Swiftness, Ro Fury, Ro Cleaving, Ro Stone. You get a 2+ save Thane with 4 ASF strength 5 attacks. Probably the best distribution you can snag for your 75 points.

Danny76
03-12-2007, 19:07
A cheap option I like very much:

- Rune of Stone
- Rune of Resistance
- Great Weapon and Shield

Depending on the opponent you can choose between 1+ save with re-roll and strength 4 attacks or 3+ save with re-roll and strength 6 attacks.

Isn't it a 2+ Save in the first instance?

the12thronin
04-12-2007, 03:28
I've started using this combo recently on my thane and it's served very well and can be quite a suprise.

Weapon:
MR Kragg
R of Fury
R of Snorri Spangelhelm

Armor:
R of Stone

4 Great Weapon attacks with +1 to hit so you rarely hit on worse than a 3 and usually on 2's against R&F. The only thing this guy can't do is break chariots but he is money when backed up by a unit champ to absorb challenges.

My other main load when I take a lord is:

Weapon:
MR of Alaric
R of Cleaving
R of Fury

Armor:
R of Stone

Talisman:
MR of Challenge

5 str 5 attacks that ignore armor saves makes this guy mow through cavalry that they have to charge or run away.

Latro
04-12-2007, 20:41
Isn't it a 2+ Save in the first instance?

Gromril Armour = 4+
Rune of Stone = 3+
Shield = 2+ v. shooting and 1+ v. combat

Not too bad for those points huh?

Danny76
05-12-2007, 01:16
forgot about in combat... =p
Yeah i like it!

Leogun_91
05-12-2007, 18:51
Shield = 2+ v. shooting and 1+ v. combat

Donīt you meen the other way around.

In runes well just test some combinations in friendly games and you will soon find a combination that fits you they are all good in their own way (except MR of Kingship itīs just an expensive way to get the effect from hammerers) and you must find one that suits your tactics.