PDA

View Full Version : legal issues?

Luke
15-09-2005, 12:06
ok, heres the problem.

I live in the UK (this is important)

My workplace has security cameras installed in order to monitor any suspisious criminal activity. i was told at a previous job that it is illegal for a company to actively spy on its employees using the cameras.

so to my horror i was busted taking a quick break in a place i shouldnt have been because the manager watched through the tapes and caught me.

now i find out that a fellow employee is up for dismissal because she too was caught loafing around. and this decision is based solely on the content of the tapes.

i would like to know if what the manager is doing is indeed legal? if not, what can i do about it? im really confused and need some help prety desperately, caus it looks like im next up for the chop (esp if she looks through last sundays tape)

ps. ok i know i probably shoudl have been doing work and its not an excuse to be lazy, but believe it or not, i am one of the more industrious ones down there.

ALSO< my manager smokes more pot than me, if i could find a way to get back at her if she did sack me, that would be t'riff!:D

Kiro
15-09-2005, 12:11
Err, what exactly were you doing on this break?

Luke
15-09-2005, 12:18
standing around talking. nothing serious. just my manager is a prick.

Crube
15-09-2005, 12:20
I would strongly suggest two things.

1. Check your contract of employment. if there os a clause that states you may be monitored in this way, and you signed it, then it will be hard to defend.

2. Get some proper legal advice (from one of these first meeting freee places) to see where you stand.

All the best

Luke
15-09-2005, 12:23
nothing in the contract about it i think. may have to ask to see it tomorow.

Kiro
15-09-2005, 12:26
So...are you actually going to lose your job? It sound like you only got a slap on the wrist.

Enazel
15-09-2005, 12:29
i believe its illegal to not tell your employees about the cameras, rather than actually being illegal to use them in such away.

glimli
15-09-2005, 12:34
find out when and where she smokes who her supplier is etc, this should ber easy if you smoke to. then tip off the police during office hours (talk it up a bit, hint firearms. but don;t actually lie) and hopefully theyll collect her at work and take her down for questioning, sure nothing will happen to her but itll be very enmbaressing.

MacVurrich
15-09-2005, 12:35
nothing in the contract about it i think. may have to ask to see it tomorow.

Have you GOT your own copy of the contract ?

Adept
15-09-2005, 13:01
I like glimli's idea. Of course, there is always the option of blackmail. If you know she smokes, but she doesn't know you do, then a few incriminating tapes or photos could go a long way to ensuring job security...

Big_Bear_Scot
15-09-2005, 13:09
Take your contract to your local Citizens Advice Bureau and tell them what happened, they often have lawyers working for them. If they don't have lawyers they can point you in the right direction.

Are you a member of a Union ?

Sai-Lauren
15-09-2005, 13:16
The UK police won't really do anything for simple possession of cannabis, and mentioning it to head office would most likely come over as disgruntled ex-employee with an axe to grind.

Basically, I'm with Crube, check your contract - you really should have your own copy - and get down your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

But to be honest, it sounds like you're going to be better off out of there anyway. What is your job anyway (in general terms not specifics, eg part-time retail, computing etc)?

Luke
15-09-2005, 13:46
in reponse to your various Q's

i work in a small farm shop. its quite posh but the pay still sucks and there is never enough work to share between the 18 of us...

i do not have a copy of my contract, in fact i think ive only seen it once. and i cant remember if it was a contract at all. (heavy morning)

i am not a member of a union, im key time and as such, am really expendable.

im trying to get a job as a gym instructor so i was gonna tell her where to go jump from anyway.

MacVurrich
15-09-2005, 16:43
in reponse to your various Q's

i do not have a copy of my contract, in fact i think ive only seen it once. and i cant remember if it was a contract at all. (heavy morning)

Depending on the circumstances, This in it's own right could be an infringement of employement law.

Exployees must have a contract of employement (each) within 6 weeks of a new job IIRC.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
15-09-2005, 19:56
ALSO< my manager smokes more pot than me, if i could find a way to get back at her if she did sack me, that would be t'riff!:D

Plant some shwag in the b*tches desk and some in her car...tip of the cops be like "i saw her stuffing it into her desk as i walked by..." and she should be out of there real quick. And then, if the cameras are illegal, she'll get in even more trouble.

tzeentchgiant
15-09-2005, 20:02
....and have you planting evidence on tape, hmmm, how does that work?

Well, basically, I think it's a bit petty, but I know as well as any how hard it is to have a crap boss, and I would say keep it all above the counter, then on the last day, **** on the doormat, or something to similar comical genious effect.

TG

Crube
15-09-2005, 20:06
and dont forget, even though you're looking at telling her where to stick the job, your next employer will more than likely as her for a reference.

She cant give a poor reference if she cant back it up, but if you're fired....it wont look good to prospective employers

Luke
15-09-2005, 20:10
oh she gave me a shining reference caus i told her i was leaving soon as i found another job. thing is im kind of hanging around because i cant find the motivation to search for a new job.

she cut my hours btw, dont know/cant remember if i said that already. prolly not.

The pestilent 1
15-09-2005, 20:22
just a nitpick, dont we (the english) have soliciters and not lawyers?
******ery aside, i dont think its illagal for them to put in cameras, aslong as your told of their existance?

tzeentchgiant
15-09-2005, 20:25
Yeah that's what I was thinking, they don't spy on you as such, but should something appear to be wrong, they are entitled to go and check them, aren't they?

Maybe you just have an ******* co-worker, who started grassing people up for not working.

TG

marv335
15-09-2005, 20:52
it's only illegal to have cameras if you don't advertise the fact. if they have a sign up saying there is surveillance then they've got you fair and square.
big brother is watching you.

Luke
15-09-2005, 21:32
damn. ah well, i have been intending to quit for some time now and get a real job *cough in the leisure industry cough*

im just waiting for the opportune moment to tell her i quit.