PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new Army - But What?

Zinge
27-11-2007, 15:36
Hi,

I still have a little way to go on my Blood Angel Army - and im getting a little bored of painting red!

Looking for ideas for a new army, thoughts so far,

Not marines,

Not a horde army (not paticularly quick painter)

Conversion possibilities

Maybe more shooty than choppy

is Orkzilla a possibility? (as opposed to Nidzilla)

Been thinking Kroot but not enough variation

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Captain Micha
27-11-2007, 15:38
Tau. It fits all of the categories you are aiming for.

Yes there are plenty of conversion opportunities for the Tau. I use converted guardsmen for my kroot and vespid for starters.
I have a fire warrior 'combat' squad with knives.

MuckySquirrel
27-11-2007, 16:07
Not Marines - Marines out.
Not Horde - Guard, Nids outs
More Shooty than choppy - could be many i guess

Necron?

Darnok
27-11-2007, 16:21
I think Tau, Necrons, Witchhunters and Eldar all fit into what you're looking for. The Eldar have probably the most diversity in what you can do with them.

EarthAndAllStars
27-11-2007, 16:31
Witchhunters

They can shoot and shoot, and they have plenty of conversion opportunities as they can take IG allies and Inquisitors.

BossaNovacaine
27-11-2007, 16:40
you can do some combonation of the inquisition, i realise that grey knights are marines but their really not with their special rules and 25 point price tag. and witchhunters are great because you get a basic troop thats essentially a healthy medium between a marine and a guardsmen

Zapherion
27-11-2007, 16:41
with your parametres id definatly go for necrons

kishvier
27-11-2007, 16:42
Tau, they are amazing. If not Tau go with Necrons, they are tough as lead and are as dangerous as it.:D

Darnok
27-11-2007, 16:44
with your parametres id definatly go for necrons

If Kroot don't give enough variety, then possibly Necrons don't do it as well. Plus Necrons are not the perfect army for conversions - only if you are quite skilled. Necron conversions have to be clean and exact. Same holds for Eldar.

Anyway, Necrons are an option. Not the best, but still worth a thought.

Zapherion
27-11-2007, 16:45
Necrons are probably simpler to paint than tau, so if your not a quick painter, you can assemble a necron army faster than a tau one

Marinox
27-11-2007, 16:47
inquisition's alot of fun. and if you lean towards the witch hunter's side you'll be happy tactically too.

i vote inquistion

Grazzy
27-11-2007, 16:50
Witchunters. Loads of conversion, and nobody plays with them so you're always gonna get a game.

chaotic
28-11-2007, 06:08
what about an armored company?

I'm thinking of it

Vault-Dweller
28-11-2007, 14:13
I would go for shooty orks, But that would be some models to paint.

kishvier
28-11-2007, 20:15
Necrons! Okay numbers good and in playing they take foreever to totally kill, plus it's and about the easiest army to paint! All you need is black, silver ,and green!

Zinge
28-11-2007, 22:11
I'm not after easy to paint - im not a bad painter - just slow and a bit anal. I think necrons may be a bit boring, not much conversion possibilities.

Like this all plastic Furioso Dred

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/zinge/Dreadnought/Dread.jpg

And my mounted techmarine

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/zinge/PICT0271.jpg

I was looking at Kroot but no anti tank!

Drong
28-11-2007, 23:10
Orkzilla would be cool, go for big meks and deffdreads as troops and max out heavy with killa kanz, like small carnifexes but with more metal ^^

Or go with 2 warbosses and meganobz, battlewagoons comes with endless conversion opportunites, but it would be nice if GW released models for them, will they?

Lot's of conversion opportunites, made a killa kan into some unicycle thingie, and has scratchbuilt alot of bikes(although that takes time and often come out with a wee bit much details, they will take forever to paint >_>)

CommissarKlink
28-11-2007, 23:47
Orkzilla would be cool, go for big meks and deffdreads as troops and max out heavy with killa kanz, like small carnifexes but with more metal ^^

Or go with 2 warbosses and meganobz, battlewagoons comes with endless conversion opportunites, but it would be nice if GW released models for them, will they?

Lot's of conversion opportunites, made a killa kan into some unicycle thingie, and has scratchbuilt alot of bikes(although that takes time and often come out with a wee bit much details, they will take forever to paint >_>)

I say go for both, one Warboss and one Big Mek... your compulsory troops choices can be meganobz and a deffdred, your elites are nobz/meganobz, your heavy supports are deffdreds and maybe flashgitz. add in trukks or battlewagons for dedicated transports, and deffkoptaz for fast attack, and you have a Deffwing army (like Deathwing, but orky!)

Every single model has 2+ wounds or an armor value!

Feor
29-11-2007, 00:14
The Greater Waaagh! once the new codex comes out.

Boyz in Looted Devilfish, the (supposed) Troop choice Deffdreads as Looted Crisis Suits, Looted Hammerheads as Wagons, Tankbustas with "rokkit pods" and reprogrammed Seeker Missiles as Bomb Squigs (some better reprogrammed than others), Boyz riding Gun drones as Deff Koptas.

It's so, so beautiful. *tear*

victorpofa
29-11-2007, 02:21
The Greater Waaagh! once the new codex comes out.

Boyz in Looted Devilfish, the (supposed) Troop choice Deffdreads as Looted Crisis Suits, Looted Hammerheads as Wagons, Tankbustas with "rokkit pods" and reprogrammed Seeker Missiles as Bomb Squigs (some better reprogrammed than others), Boyz riding Gun drones as Deff Koptas.

It's so, so beautiful. *tear*

This is so awesome, I might have to steal some of it. Boyz flying on Gun Drones like skateboards for Deff Koptas is now embedded in my head. That would use up some of my surplus Gun Drones, that's for sure. And they are already equipped with twin linked weapons :evilgrin:

Feor
29-11-2007, 03:51
I'm not sure about sizes, but the initial Idea was a Gun Drone on each foot, ala Reboot. You'd probably have to use Nobs for that.

You can also just strap a Gun Drone onto an Ork's back and Call him a Stormboy.

victorpofa
30-11-2007, 02:47
Another awesome idea I will have to try out! I blew all my money for the next year on Apocalypse boxes so my Ork purchases will have ot be modest. No funds for Stormboyz, but this might be the answer.

I had not thought about the Reboot flyers. I'll have to try both with fun-tak and see what looks better :evilgrin:

Count Sinister
30-11-2007, 02:57
Nice minis there, Zinge - very clean paint job, and lovely work on the metal. Looks good. With painting like that, I'd say just choose any army! I don't play them, but I've always had a soft spot for the Inquisition - such nice models, great conversion oportunities, and a great mix of troops.
I've just started to put together an Imperial Guard army. Lots of painting, but I'm keeping the number of models down by having lots of vets and tricked out vehicles. Total no of infantry in my 1,500 point list - about 70, 20 0f which are veterans and 10 of which are an armoured fist squad.

Shadow-BOT
30-11-2007, 03:08
I saw that Ork army on ebay, a bunch of Orks with looted hammerheads, riding on gun drones, so awesome.

OhSoLame
30-11-2007, 07:31
I think that Drong's post hit the mark. Aside from ruling out the Kroot, you only mentioned the Orkz in your original post , so the must be something that you are leaning towards. They also fit your criteria: they are not like marines; the build Drong suggests is not a horde army; the Orkz offer more conversion opportunities than any other race.

Sounds like you've found a winner to me...