PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I owe the power company 150 GBP

lord_blackfang
15-09-2005, 14:22
This is *******' great. Just got a bill for approx. 145 GBP/ $260 from my power company. Apparently I've been using way more juice than they predicted I would. :rolleyes:

I dunno how these things go in the rest of the world, but here, the power company "guesstimates" your power consumption for the next year, and each month you pay 1/12 of that power. Then, after the 12 months are over, they check your meter and see if you owe them anything extra.

And I do. They thought I was gonna use about 8.6 kWh a day, I used more like 14.5 kWh.

The thing is, I also got a nice little breakdown chart along with the bill, and it looks like they've checked my meter twice during the past 12 months. The increased power consumption was evident on both occasions, so they could've adjusted my monthy payments 8 months ago. They didn't, although they knew perfectly well that I'd be stuck with a hefty bill at the end of the year.

To complicate matters even more, I wasn't even living in this apartment for 10 of the past 12 months. I leased it to some students. And going by the meter readings, they used about as much power as I do. So technically they owe me for 10/12 of this extra money. But it's not like I can force them to pay :mad:

So basically I'm stuck with a $260 bill, most of which would have already been paid by the tenants had the power company adjusted the monthly payment as soon as it was obvious that the power consumption was way higher than they expected.

I'm not really asking for advice or anything, except maybe from Iuris, who is probably the only member of Warseer who knows Slovenia's legal code. I just wanted to type this **** up, it helps me think.

Gaebriel
15-09-2005, 14:29
It's the same over here. You pay an estimated sum each month, and once each year you get a bill, and either pay more or get money back. Then the estimate is adjusted, and so on...

Only difference being that they don't check the meter twice, but given the bureaucratic nature of such companies I think they wouldn't adjust the estimate other than yearly.

$260 is tough :(

I only had that much when I moved to another place, and paid the previous renter's estimate for a year - apparently he used much less than me...

Vaya
15-09-2005, 14:29
Same here. When I moved into my appartment, the energy usage was estimated on the former inhabitants' use. And they used way more than me! This is usually corrected at the end of the year, when your real use is calculated. Then you either get money back, or have to pay. All based on whether you used more or less than the amount estimated by the power company.
They also base your monthly payment on this estimate, so after the year-bill, you'll have a change in that too.

Rykion
15-09-2005, 14:38
Where I live you are generally billed based on your actual monthly consumption. If for some reason they don't get around to check the meter, they estimate based on previous usage.

lord_blackfang
15-09-2005, 14:48
Where I live you are generally billed based on your actual monthly consumption. If for some reason they don't get around to check the meter, they estimate based on previous usage.

That's just it - they checked it 8 months ago, and again 5 months ago, and didn't adjust the payments. Now I have to pay the whole thing in one go.

Jedi152
15-09-2005, 15:40
We got a 700 odd gas bill once. For a quarter!

I rang and explained that if i had all our fires, ovens and central heating on 24-7 i couldn't rack up that kind of bill: The woman on the phone relented and sent out a form for us to re-read our meter. The new bill was about 30.

It turns out that the guy who came to read our meter first time round couldn't be bothered (it's outside the front door, so it's not much effort!) and just made up the reading - apparantly it's very common.

Geetarman
15-09-2005, 17:20
is the meter reading correct? If so then your just screwed really.

In the UK they have a guesstimate but they check every quarter that the meter reading is what they think it is, they then send a bill each quarter saying "you/we owe us/you X amount" so you keep tabs on if your up or not.

Our gas company ended up owing us 300 for overcharging for a year, that rebate was niiiiice :D

Only thing you can do is if your rented the places legally is there anything in that clause to say they still owe you some for the outstanding bill amount?

Gman

Rykion
15-09-2005, 17:32
That's just it - they checked it 8 months ago, and again 5 months ago, and didn't adjust the payments. Now I have to pay the whole thing in one go.

The thing is that the meters are usually read each and every month where I live. If they have to estimate, it is usually only for a single month. It helps prevent any estimation mistake from the Power Company from being a big pain.

Shinobi
15-09-2005, 17:37
Go to America and sue them for all their worth!

Rykion
15-09-2005, 17:51
Go to America and sue them for all their worth!

Yeah! Oops. That won't work because utilities are generally protected against lawsuit in the US. Try again.

Brother Smith
15-09-2005, 19:31
I once got charged for a farms electricity, which included all the industrial machinery...