PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch Chaos Space Marine WIP

Mewy
28-11-2007, 11:03
My much beloved and the much anticipated CSM Codex has been and gone a good few months now. Some things hated, some loved, but we always stick to the army with the core we love the most... right? Until some form of LatD list comes out (without 'counts as' in apoc) I've decided to do a WIP of my army.

Starting with my Demon Prince...

He's missing his weapon because I decided to remake it... I've been brushing up on my painting and modeling skills since last year and I've decided to go through with the things I want to do for my models instead of cutting ideas short due to boredom.

Mewy
28-11-2007, 11:06
This is the start of the weapon... fans of Warcraft 3 should instantly recognise the design... especially with the reference picture of what the weapon will (close to) look like when done. I'm still deciding if I should change it a bit.

crandall87
28-11-2007, 11:51
That sword is looking good. Nice work.

Mewy
28-11-2007, 12:32
For those of you who don't know me... (so, everyone...) I like to do big things first. I also have the habit of starting too many projects at the same time (but I think most modelers do that). So here's something else...

Scorpion Pattern Defiler

The arms are still WIP, but the rest of him is ready to paint, aside from a smush-coat of chaos black to even out the spray undercoat. This is 1 and a half defiler kits (yes, I bought both...). The 'head' is the front half of the dark eldar talos. The armour along the body is just 1mm plasticard with 0.4mm plasticard for the trimming.
The tail is 2 arms linked together with the same deal for the plates. The flame on the front was going to count as the Coruscating Warp Flame upgrade with the previous 3.5-4th ed codex, but now it's either going to be a heavy flamer or just another cc weapon.

daemonkin
28-11-2007, 13:39
You just made my tail pop out!

D.

qwertywraith
28-11-2007, 14:40
Those defiler claws are nice. Your DP is really good too. I like the bisected sceme.

Ancientsociety
28-11-2007, 16:02
Very cool.

Vasteye
28-11-2007, 18:15
This is the start of the weapon... fans of Warcraft 3 should instantly recognise the design... especially with the reference picture of what the weapon will (close to) look like when done. I'm still deciding if I should change it a bit.

its Frostmourne yeah? looks very nice

I'm also loving the scorp defiler. I may have to steal that idea in future

ginger space marine
28-11-2007, 23:37
not being rude but i do think its called a "brass scorpian" very rarely seen

very hard to pull off but you've hit it right on the nose

great job:p
:chrome:

Mewy
29-11-2007, 05:52
not being rude but i do think its called a "brass scorpian" very rarely seen

very hard to pull off but you've hit it right on the nose

great job:p

Nope... this is my defiler, brass scorpion would have a demolisher, 2 hellmaw weapons and a tail shooter. I don't like how most brass scorpions are made. They're too small... and have only 6 legs. Scorpions have 8 legs and their arms, so 10 limbs in total (spiders have 10 in total too if you look closely, they have 2 'arms' near the mouth...)
My idea of a brass scorpion is pretty much the defiler in the back of the 40k rulebook. The modeler of that one doubled up on the length of the legs, and since the BS is a super-heavy, I'm gonna be inclined to do the same.
I have waiting to be loved 2 full defiler kits + 2 extra leg sprues (managed to get in before they close down bits sales) which gives me 16 legs in total. This will be my first model I'll be going to town on on the base. I want to have it coiled/climbing on/around a building, sort of smashing its way through.

btw: love your quote :P

Mewy
29-11-2007, 09:09
its Frostmourne yeah? looks very nice

Yea, tis the frosty... the only fantasy designed blade that I always go back to for weapon inspiration.

I'm a bit stumped what to do for the defiler claws atm. They're essentially there, I'm just really stuck on the armour plates around the wrist area. I want to do something decepticon-like (coolest action movie ever!) but I'm still not entirely sure what...

tinfoil
29-11-2007, 14:26
Outstanding work. Love the whole feel of things here -- the way it merges sci-fi industro-punk with chaos. I'm definitely going to be following this.

Mewy
01-12-2007, 07:11
Here's an update on my Demon Prince's sword. It's at a halt atm so I've also been working on cleaning up the flash and sprue parts from my Brass Scorpion bits. I just need to get my hands on a wolf or goat skull to fit on the hilt crossbar...
On the table is the start of the Scorpion and in the box is 2 full defiler kits (minus the legs and bodies of course) and a manufactorium which I'm going to use for its base. I'm gonna try and have the scorpion crawling up and around it, sort of smashing it's way through.

Mewy
04-12-2007, 07:00
Ok, time to stop fidgeting... here's an update on my Defiler's claws. I've been stuck with the design mainly, just can't decide how to make them look. I finally found a path that I'm kind of happy with, making them look sufficiently mean-looking. :chrome:

Feedback would be helpful on if I'm heading in the right direction, or on where I should take it from here... cabling, plates, etc... :)

Lord Commander Eidolon
04-12-2007, 13:47
awesome, that daemon prince is spectacular

Mewy
05-12-2007, 11:52
Update on the Prince's weapon... just waiting for the greenstuff to set and the glue to dry then I can add the pommel and the decorations on the crossbar. Not too sure if I should (or if i even can!) do the runes along the middle of the blade...

(the plasticard is there so that you can see the greenstuff work... kinda blends into my cutting mat on this exposure)

Daredhnu
08-12-2007, 10:13
i love your deamon prince he's got a great colour scheme and some awesome conversion work done on him.
also digging frostmourne it's looking very buff so to speak.

keep up the good work.:D

Getifa Ubazza
08-12-2007, 10:27
I really like the head on your DP and that scorpion is really sweet. Looking forward to seeing some troops.

Mewy
08-12-2007, 10:45
@Daredhnu: cheers :) wait until you see it in his hands... it's kinda... larger than what I expected, though I'm happy it's not 'anime scale'

@genestealerbroodlord: his head is from the Elector Count on Griffon model from the empire range about... 5 years ago I think. Unfortunately the model is out of production and wasn't even in archives so I couldn't bits the head before bits-order went crump! So I'' have to look for another way to implement the bird look of my WHF Prince.

As far as troops go, I'm loving synapse's and doghouse's work of true-scale marines, and I really really want to implement them on my thousand sons. I'll be going with doghouse's approach (41mm is a bit too big for me, synapse :p) so as soon as I find an effective way of sculpting robes, I'll be buying bits when Christmas goes and I can finally spend money on myself again.

I'll be posting my finished defiler, claws and all momentarily...

Mewy
08-12-2007, 12:39
Love my dremel tool... :D

Ok, done, primed, smushed and battle-wearing done; here's the results.

Nocturn
08-12-2007, 13:06
Love my dremel tool... :D

Ok, done, primed, smushed and battle-wearing done; here's the results.

now these are claws.
awesome :)
let's go and paint it :D

Cirrus the Blue
08-12-2007, 14:56
Slick conversions!!! I'm a big fan (obviously, of course) and love the colour choices on your Prince. Nice work!

- Cirrus

Honorius
09-12-2007, 05:44
Great work on the scorpion defiler. It makes me want to go buy another defiler so I can start working on mine. Cant wait to see your troops when you get onto them.

Daredhnu
09-12-2007, 11:04
damn that looks sweet. good job on your defiler.

Askari
15-12-2007, 22:55
That... isn't.... fair

Damn you sir!

Meticulous
06-01-2008, 23:30
Everything looks great, but now I really want to see what you do with your infantry, if they're half as innovative as this lot.

Mewy
21-01-2008, 10:25
Wow... now that was a big break. Christmas, 2 weeks off work, buming around parents place for a week then a week at mine over new years. Got my WoW character to 70 (I know, I know, shoot me...). So let's see... where to resume...

My Pressie from my parents :D
http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33090&stc=1&d=1200911228

That's my prince now safe and snug... just have to fill out the cannon fodder now...

Also.. just to show I've not been totally bumming around, here's what I spoiled myself with after 2 months of not buying anything for myself because of xmas gifts.
http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33091&stc=1&d=1200911228

And a sneak at what I plan on doing to it...
http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33092&stc=1&d=1200911228

Tanks. Don't. Have. RIVETS!

Marstfu
21-01-2008, 10:58
Rivetless Baneblade..

Would be one of the few.. But it'll look great!

Vasteye
22-01-2008, 19:30
I believe it is in fact admech law that there be rivets on a baneblade.

Removal of said rivets will result in arco flagellation
Selling of blessed rivets for profit will result in arco flagellation
Using the profit to further your own ends will also result in arco flagellation

A13X
23-01-2008, 09:04
Very awsome...

Keep it up!

Mewy
23-01-2008, 11:55
I believe it is in fact admech law that there be rivets on a baneblade.

Removal of said rivets will result in arco flagellation
Selling of blessed rivets for profit will result in arco flagellation
Using the profit to further your own ends will also result in arco flagellation

Lol... it's for Thousand Sons... me being a Thousand Sons player results in arco-flagellation alone, right?

Honorius
25-01-2008, 23:55
Cant wait to see the Baneblade painted. I never liked them being covered in rivets and I want to know what it will look like once painted. GL

DTWATKINS
28-01-2008, 21:53
Lol... it's for Thousand Sons... me being a Thousand Sons player results in arco-flagellation alone, right?

Not quite...

Being a Thousand Sons player will result in being interred in a Penitent Engine.

Unfortunately making conversion as good as yours and painting them to look even better will result in being sold to the Haemonculi.

kkoene
02-02-2008, 21:36
Very nice work so far! I have one question though, what did you use for the cabling on your claws? I've heard of some people using guitar strings, but that doesn't look like guitar string to me.

The_Warsmith
12-02-2008, 12:38
fantastic work mewy :D

but how could you remove the rivets!?!?! :p

Mewy
24-02-2008, 14:55
I feel rude not having answered some questions posted after my last (long ago) update.

Not quite...
Being a Thousand Sons player will result in being interred in a Penitent Engine.

Unfortunately making conversion as good as yours and painting them to look even better will result in being sold to the Haemonculi.

For the first comment: good cause I like penitent engines :D As for the second comment... not sure what that means but thanks?

Very nice work so far! I have one question though, what did you use for the cabling on your claws? I've heard of some people using guitar strings, but that doesn't look like guitar string to me.

It is indeed guitar strings but from a bass guitar (run around $40 for 8 or 10 thin-thick. That's why they have the ridged look.

fantastic work mewy :D

but how could you remove the rivets!?!?! :p

I'm obcessive compulsive in the way that: if you tell me what something is supposed to be like, I will feel compelled to do something about it unless I'm very happy with what I did already. When I did a little research into real tanks it didn't take much more than 1 search to figure out we're onto welding now. I felt compelled to correct the plastic blade after seeing the insurmountable amount of 3d dots on it.

For those who did get into this log (thousand sons do seem to be rare on here currently) you can rest assured an update is coming... I'm a bit hooked on end-game WoW atm, but I feel a little rest coming along as I haven't so much as been inside a GW store significantly since before Xmas. (they're killing the playstyle of 40k in my opinion from rumour suggestions... I've always been on the hobby side of the game anyway)

And if synapse or doghouse see this: I'm stealing a leaf from your book on true-scale!!!!!

PS: could a moderator or someone please change the title of this thread to "Thousand Sons WIP" please?

Tiller5
25-02-2008, 00:00
Hey Mewy, I love your daemon prince, so amazingly converted and painted, fantastic job! And you're not the only Thousand Son log on the go at the moment! Great stuff, looking forward to some more goodness!

del-patch
25-02-2008, 19:36
Wearing a hat thats a arco-flagellation,
Talking back, thats a arco-flagellation
not working thats a arco-flagellation
getting an arco-flagellation, you'll be sure thats a arco-flagellation.

ah, simpsons,

hmmmm, bald banebalde hey?

Ynek
25-02-2008, 20:22
Damn, that's a purty defiler...
What colours were you thinking for the colour scheme?

projectkmo
26-02-2008, 02:09
Subscribed!

that Defiler is incredible! :eek:

Mewy
26-02-2008, 08:31
Damn, that's a purty defiler...
What colours were you thinking for the colour scheme?

I've never painted a defiler before so I'm not entirely sure. The armour plates (like my prince) will be the same pale and cold blue. I'm planning to give them a patterning too with black and deep golden brown. I'm thinking the banding will be golden yellow. Weapons can be good old gold and silver. The supporting structure is what I'm stuck on. Ancient bone comes to mind.