PDA

View Full Version : 2250 HE Going for Balance

Zensunni
28-11-2007, 14:11
Greetings one and all. I have been viewing for some time now and I finally am posting a list for review. I would appreciate any ideas and comments especially what you have found useful. I also have a few questions. Here is the 2250 army:

Archmage: lvl 4, Steed, ROF, Silverwand, DS, Guardian Phoneix(Not sure if I need the GP on him, this will be the first time using one on the Archmage.)

Mage: lvl2, Seer Staff, DS (Almost always uses High Magic)

Noble: GW, AOC, BSB

20 Spears Standard, Musician
23 Spears, FC +Warbanner (Noble here)

6 Dragon Princes Standard, Musician, Banner of Ellyrian

6 Shadow Warriors

5 Silver Helms Shields, Musician (Archmage usually hangs around these guys for cover)

17 Swordmasters- FC Banner of Socery, Gem of Courage (Mage lvl2 in here)

2 Bolt Throwers
2 Great Eagles

9-11 PD
5 DD+2 Scrolls
Right around 2250 points.

I have been trying to get some Ellyrian Reavers in the list. I can do by moving some things around. However my question is : Is it worth it to remove one eagle to be able to make room for 5 ER bows and spears +mus?

I have played with this list several times and it seems to work well. I am on a mission to come up with a balanced all comers list. I am also toying with removing the block of 20 Spears to put in a unit of archers but I do not have any archers yet.

So please any comments are welcome and please tell me about your success with the units you use and why you make the suggestion you are making. Thanks!

28-11-2007, 19:14
Kudo's for attempting a "balanced" list!

This is almost identical to my first draft list that I discarded for an all-infantry list.

You can see where my list landed in another thread on this board.

You might have seen my take on Ellyrion Reavers in my exchange with another HE player on his list. That chap is fielding 3, yes three!, units of them. Hopeless romantic, I tell you. I say forget them. Eagles are more cost effective sparing points to beef up elsewhere as you have.

I just don't see a place for them anymore. Unless you're attempting and "every color of the rainbow" list like you have here.

Judging from your list, I'm guessing we're about on the same wavelength but I'll offer you my thoughts on how and why I'd choose differently.

* I'd drop GP on the Archmage for Sacred Incense. I've never invested in personal protection for my mages and I've never had cause to regret it. The SI will allow you to give shooting protection to the Swordmasters, which they'll need to survive. (Many would suggest that White Lions are the better investment, but we'll need to test that assumption with a lot of game play.) (Edit: I overlooked your abbreviation RoF, which I assume is Ring of Fury and not Robe of Forlaith.) Too good not to take. And it's an article of faith to never put mounts under my mages. Why? You have plenty of infantry units to shelter in. Those cav units are there to launch into CC for the strength bonus and you don't want a boat-anchor spell caster in there. I see no advantage. But maybe I'm hidebound about this.

* Consider Jewel of the Dusk on the Lvl 2 for a touch more magic dominance. I'll try it out eventually.

* Your BSB could be better protected by taking a barded steed and some kit for re-rollable armor save (Helm of Fortune + Dragonscale Shield or + Sword of Might). I know, you've got him on foot for the GW, but I sacrifice a point of strength for greater survivability to protect the BSB investment.

* You could pick up more shooting by converting one block of Spears to 15 LSG with shields and a MU for the same cost as 20 Spear + FC.

* Your combination of DP's SH's and Shadow Warriors were in my previous list and I might give this configuration a try. However, I concluded I'd rather have 14 Swordmasters with FC (2X7) dishing out 15 str 5 attacks every round of CC instead of 13 Str 5 only when I get the charge off. I loved my Dragon Princes (primarily for the 18" charge + banner of ellyrion) but I expect them to gather dust unless I build a crazy Caledor double dragon-based list for giggles.

* I'll be interested in how happy your are with those two cav units. Who knows, I may bring mine back. But I'm trying something different (from my old list) for starters. I'd almost want to have 2 units of DP's. But that's hella expensive. Maybe if you cash in the Shadow Warriors.

Again, I commend you for the diversity of your list. Forget Reavers and change a block of spears to LSG if you want more shooting.

Please post some bat reps or reflections on what's working for you and what isn't.

Bon chance!

Prince Sairion
28-11-2007, 21:16
Very similar to my new and so far successful list.

The characters (ie the three choices) are identical. Is ROF robe of folariath? If so great, but doesn't he need to be on foot?
For my bsb I take the talisman of loec, sword of might and talisman of prot on a barded steed, gives me some punch.

I have 23 spears, 12 sm's, 10 archers and 12/15 white lions. You have 17 sm's, 6 shadows, 5 helms and 23 and20 spears.

Banner of sorcery is a defo.

Reavers seem to get in the way with the style I play, or just get shot up as the are one of the few units that gets in peoples faces early on.

Like the army though, and like I've said in the past, the new HE army list is one of the few that I feel you can get a competitive all-comers list from.

Zensunni
28-11-2007, 22:00
I appreciate the comments. One question though: With the BSB if you place him on horseback where do you place him?

I usually put a noble with the spears b/c I think they need this punch to do enough damage to win combat.

Do you place the BSB on horseback into the spear unit??

Oh and ROF stands for Ring of Fury. I do not like the robe very much at all. THe ring has been great in every game I have played and I try to take it every time.

I also thought about using the jewel of dusk. The only reason I actually have the seer staff is for the courage spell that makes my guys stubborn but perhaps the 5+ ward save and another spell would be enough?

28-11-2007, 22:26
I appreciate the comments. One question though: With the BSB if you place him on horseback where do you place him?

I usually put a noble with the spears b/c I think they need this punch to do enough damage to win combat.

Do you place the BSB on horseback into the spear unit??

Oh and ROF stands for Ring of Fury. I do not like the robe very much at all. THe ring has been great in every game I have played and I try to take it every time.

I also thought about using the jewel of dusk. The only reason I actually have the seer staff is for the courage spell that makes my guys stubborn but perhaps the 5+ ward save and another spell would be enough?

I'm putting mine in a 22 strong block of spears in a 4x6 formation. He takes up two places and I've made my movement tray to accomodate the wiggle room in both directions. And it looks nice to have a mounted leader among the foot troops.

Ring of Fury - Don't leave home with out it. I agree, the robe, meh.

The Seerstaff is a good first choice. Having what you need for each opponent is soooo useful. JotD is just an alternative. Yeah the shield and morale spells are pretty nifty.

Zensunni
29-11-2007, 01:28
Problem is, having a character mounted with an infantry unit, doesn't that make him a target and can he have look out sir rules? JUst wondering if the enemy can target him since he is bigger?

CHOOBER SNIPES
29-11-2007, 01:58
Concerning ur special choices, i would definitely invest in DP's. Keep them cheap tho, take a bare minimum, 5 DP's; 150 pts. dont need anything else. In ur list, ur going to have to keep cav relatively close to infantry, or ur army would end up fighting piecemeal. so, if u take off mus on DP's, and drop them to 5, u can make SH's DP's instead. With 1st unit of DP's u can either take 6 DP's with nothing else, or u can take 5 DP's w/ banner of ellyrion. Also, keep the SM unit small so u can bulk out elsewhere. SM's are really a gamebreaker in combat, but having so many pts. in one unit with a 5+ save is not safe, as they are already a target for enemies. 14 works fine and sometimes even lik 6-8 if u keep them safe. they dont seem lik much of a threat until they throw 12 or so WS6 S5 attacks in the flank. list looks really nice, and if u want to spend ur pts elsewhere, u dont really need too much shooting as ur magic makes up for it. I second the whole ring of fury thing, its great and definately take it if u can. Anyway list looks good overall, and whoever said DP's arent good anymore !!!! 16" charge WS5 S5 2A+WS3 S3 1A

Makarion
29-11-2007, 05:37
Problem is, having a character mounted with an infantry unit, doesn't that make him a target and can he have look out sir rules? JUst wondering if the enemy can target him since he is bigger?

That used to be the case in 6th Edition, but it 7th it's no longer so. Especially for BSBs (and some wizards), it's now very worthwhile to have them mounted.

Stop snickering, you there in the back!