PDA

View Full Version : Help with HE list, fairly new to fantasy

sturguard
28-11-2007, 14:15
Hey folks, I am hoping to get some solid ideas on how to flesh out a high elf themed force. Note, this does not have to be a tourney winner, but I would like to win some games here and there - ie. if I went to a GT, maybe stand a decent chance of winning 2-3 games. Anyways I was thinking the core of my list would look like this

20 spearmen with banner and musician

or

15 seaguard with banner and musician

Would most people agree that the seaguard are not worth the points?

Elite

White Lions - either 2 units of 7 or 1 unit of 15

6 Dragon Princes

2 tiranoc chariots (or should I go with 1 white lion or 2 white lion?)

5 reavers - are they worth it?

Rare

2 eagles
1-2 bolt throwers

The heros have given me the hardest time. I was thinking I definitely need a stnd bearer so with that in mid

1 Stnd, with heavy armor, great weapon, and reaver bow. Put him in a block of spearmen or seaguard and pretty much whatever charges is going to be 2-3 models down. I could also take the reroll talisman to make sure anything that gets in base with him will die.

I know alot of people also like the stnd which gives plus d6 combat res... whats the word on this?

I was then thinking of taking an Archmage and a prince to put on a great eagle with the star lance with the talisman which allows you to reroll.

Anyways, any ideas would be gladly accepted, I know Im giving alot of info here, but it is only because I'm not sure what makes a good high elf list (to even start proxying models). I want to know I have a decent idea before I start investing money and time converting. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have been playing HEs for awhile and have some good advice you would be willing to share via PM, please do!

28-11-2007, 23:16
Hey folks, I am hoping to get some solid ideas on how to flesh out a high elf themed force. Note, this does not have to be a tourney winner, but I would like to win some games here and there - ie. if I went to a GT, maybe stand a decent chance of winning 2-3 games. Anyways I was thinking the core of my list would look like this

or

Would most people agree that the seaguard are not worth the points?

Elite

White Lions - either 2 units of 7 or 1 unit of 15

6 Dragon Princes

2 tiranoc chariots (or should I go with 1 white lion or 2 white lion?)

5 reavers - are they worth it?

Rare

2 eagles
1-2 bolt throwers

The heros have given me the hardest time. I was thinking I definitely need a stnd bearer so with that in mid

1 Stnd, with heavy armor, great weapon, and reaver bow. Put him in a block of spearmen or seaguard and pretty much whatever charges is going to be 2-3 models down. I could also take the reroll talisman to make sure anything that gets in base with him will die.

I know alot of people also like the stnd which gives plus d6 combat res... whats the word on this?

I was then thinking of taking an Archmage and a prince to put on a great eagle with the star lance with the talisman which allows you to reroll.

Anyways, any ideas would be gladly accepted, I know Im giving alot of info here, but it is only because I'm not sure what makes a good high elf list (to even start proxying models). I want to know I have a decent idea before I start investing money and time converting. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have been playing HEs for awhile and have some good advice you would be willing to share via PM, please do!

You might look at my list and my comments to the other 2250 HE lists.

* As commented there, I'm considering changing my 20-odd blocks of spears into 15 LSG with Mu only. Don't take banners unless one unit is First Among Equals and you give it the Warbanner. I'm not sure I'd do that but it's an option. If you keep the Spears, one of them should have the Warbanner as FAE. Put a BSB in there. More on this below.

* 7 White Lions tooooo few. 14 w/FC in 2x7 seems to be a good configuration. Give the Champ the Skeinsliver. You'll want first turn whenever you can get it.

* Food for thought about those Dragon Princes: For each one of those you can get 2 Swordmasters who also dish out 2 attacks. However Swordmasters can do it every turn and don't need to get the charge off. You could almost get 14 for the same price of 6 DP's. In 2x7 formation that's 15 attacks versus 13 with the DP's. Besides, if you do get the charge with the DP's they'll be alone out in front of your battle line with only chariots to support.

* Regarding the chariots: As you'll see form my list, I'm going to give the Lion Chariots a try. But the more I think about it, I could get another unit of White Lions (14 with FC) for the same price. That's 8 Str 6 attacks in the fron rank WITHOUT needing to charge, with a 4+ save in cc and a 3+ save vs shooting and 14 wounds. Those lion chariots are expensive and just as flimsy as the Tiranoc version. Stick with the cheaper if you keep chariots at all.

*Reavers? Forget it. Too fragile (5+ save) and not hitty enough. Two eagles will serve you well.

* 1 RBT. You didn't specify if this is a 2000 or a 2250 list. My group only plays 2250. Get another of these if you can.

* Regarding your Character choices: BSB is now valuable if you have White Lions. LD 9, Stubborn, Rerollable? Yes, please! One on each flank would be nice. But you've got to protect him. I've posted this many times now:
Dragon Armor, Shield, Sword of Might, Helm of Fortune and that cool Talisman of Loec (in case he's singled out) on a barded steed is a good combo to my mind.

*You cannot take both a Prince AND an Archmage. One Lord choice only. My preference is the Archmage with a Lvl 2 as well with the Banner of Sorcery stuck in somewhere. See my other posts regarding how to kit them out.

* I'm not a fan of the Prince as I think Magic is more important than CC in an HE list. But there are others who are keen. If you take a prince, take 2 level 2 mages to have enough magic support. You might need to dump the BSB though.

Good luck. Ask any follow up questions you need.

sturguard
29-11-2007, 16:12
Nice ideas and I totally agree with your thoughts on number of models vesus a bit of mobility loss. If I didnt already have a nice idea for the dragon princes, I think I would change to just a unit of SM. The same goes for the chariots- I have 2 nice conversions in mind so my thoughts are, do you just make them tiranoc and save some points or go the whole way with the lion chariots. My conversions have little to do with the model so the fact that the new lion chariot is cool really doesnt affect me one way or the other.. but I would like to get one chariot in.

Reavers.. I had a sweet idea for them but I am wondering one thing. I know people say great eagles surpass reavers in all ways but... I dont think an eagle can get the job done against warmachine crews reliably, and eagles cant take ranks whereas a unit of 5 reavers with spears gets more hits and wounds on warmachine crews and should outnumber at the end of the combat... and 5 reavers with spears should still have more than enough numbers to cancel ranks- even if they lose 2 models on a flank charge. The shooting aspect of the reavers I dont think is worth it, you pay alot more points for just a few shots that most likely you'll never kill anything with. I just like the idea of having a cheap unit to take a flank and really enhance the spears... is this way off base? I was thinking of taking 1 unit of 5 reavers with spears and 2 eagles, that way I can play the redirect game and the flanking game. Please feel free to let me know your opinions on this.

Spears vs Seaguard- again, are the seaguard worth it? Stand and shoot will remove ranks against inferior troops or lightly armored troops but against those troops the high elves should actually win in combat with their spears alone... ie goblins, or skellies etc. Against, dwarves or well armored orcs the 5 shots may wound 1 model and then they have a 50/50 chance of making a save. (I am assuming people would be ranking up in 5x3 so would only have 5 shots). I think with the top notch infantry the elves have, the spearblocks have to just hold the line for a turn and spearmen do this far more cheaply than the seaguard. Basically you get a free eagle and a few more spearmen for a block of seaguard. Comments?

fubukii
29-11-2007, 17:16
white lions are only ld 8 and you can not use the stubborn rule if you are using the generals leadership

sturguard
29-11-2007, 18:40
Can you alternate using the generals ldr when it is more useful and using the stubborn ldr 8 when you are taking a test with lots of negative modifiers?

grhino
29-11-2007, 18:57
Read the rulebook! Posting rules is not legal.

sturguard
29-11-2007, 19:13
Would most people agree that Arch Mages are a better lord choice than Princes? I am guessing the only reason someone would take a lord is to mount him on a dragon - does anyone ever mount the arch mage on a dragon?

Arch mage on dragon
Dragon mage

that would be a brutal combination