PDA

View Full Version : Daemonettes poll

EVIL INC
28-11-2007, 15:25
We have already discussed and come to the conclusion that ALL of the versions of the daemonettes are valid (are fluffy) and that they ALL have a place in warhammer and warhammer 40k. The only difference we have yet to iron out is which we personally prefer to use.
Now what we need is a vote and a post to explain the vote.
For example, you might like the "construction" or pose of one but like the way it "looks" or the sculpting technique of the other one for example, Myself, I like the imagery portrayed by the new plastics but like the posing and dynamic pose of the most recent metal models. Overall, I would rather have staic poses of models that "look" like what I want to see then ones that are posed well but dont look like I want them to.

wickedvoodoo
28-11-2007, 15:30
I like the 3rd ed metal ones. 2nd ed looked too goofy, the new plastics look nearly as bad, the faces and hair do's on the new plastics look so so bad.

The 3rd ed metals are easily the best.

Adept
28-11-2007, 15:33

What he said.

OrlyggJafnakol
28-11-2007, 15:33
I have long lamented the loss of the original style daemons from '89-'90. The new bloodletters and daemonettes are surperb (from what I have seen) and I really cannot wait to buy some up. They look far more sinister, twisted and aggressive than more recent attempts.

Edit- I thought that the third edition ones were okay, but they just didn't look daemonic enough for me.

EVIL INC
28-11-2007, 15:36
I agree that the 3rd edition metal ones looked good. I as a player prefer to see the true horror that they are however. The grace and beauty of the daemonettes is an illusian cast by them to lure in new followers and victoms. The 3rd edition metal ones showed that. I personally prefer the ones that show the true physical form beneath the illusion that shows the ravages of extreme depravity over millenia and mutation.

Dominatrix
28-11-2007, 15:47
I voted for the metal daemonettes. Just as fluffy as the rest. Real sense of mobility and grace. No reason to elaborate further really.

MrBigMr
28-11-2007, 15:49
Oh, you pretty things
Don't you know you're driving your
Mothers and fathers insane
Let me make it plain
You gotta make way for the Homo Superior
-David Bowie, "Oh, you pretty things" lyrics

When I saw the new plastics, I ran to my local store to save as many daemonettes from GW as I could. My daemonic legion will never field those monstrosities, nor any monstrosity. Slaanesh is about pwetty things. Let Nurgle have the old daemonettes, I'll stick with these ones.

Pokpoko
28-11-2007, 15:51
3ed diaznettes. best female models ever made by GW, and very good models overall, dynamic,detailed and graceful.

EVIL INC
28-11-2007, 16:05
[I]
Slaanesh is about pwetty things.
LOL, you have not yet seen the reality beneath the glamour. Foolish mortal ;).
I understand that many prefer the pretty ones. They are fluffy in that they show the illusion over the physical body beneath. Dont be fooled like the victoms in the game are (and apparantly many real life people) into thinking that the pretty models represent thier ACTUAL physical form. They only show the illusion. I understand why many would want to use them. just remember that others have the right to want to see the other fluffy models in thier army. :)

E-Dog
28-11-2007, 16:13
3rd easy, the new ones are uglier than the old, old ones.

Guyver OmegaX
28-11-2007, 16:20
Does anyone have an image of the RT-era models? I can't for the life of me remember what they looked like!

MrBigMr
28-11-2007, 16:26
LOL, you have not yet seen the reality beneath the glamour. Foolish mortal ;).
I only summon the pretty ones. There's a ward of "no ugly chicks" on my spells.

RampagingRavener
28-11-2007, 16:31

This. To me, the 2nd ed, and new Plastic, Daemonettes didn't look like Daemons. They looked like goofy mutated cultists. The 3rd ed ones looked alluring, definatly, but at the same time had the subtlely inhuman, alien look I personally associate with Slaanesh.

AdmiralDick
28-11-2007, 16:43
i really like the 3rd ed ones stylistically. but i'm looking forward to the versitility of the new plastic ones. i probably won't use them as Daemonettes because i've elready got a shed load, but they'll be great for conversions, if they are not required to represent other kinds of daemonetter (here's hoping).

Felworth
28-11-2007, 16:53
Giant bright red frikkin crab claws... Because yah know, I think we've all had that fantasy before...

3rd edition Daemonettes please.

Kriegsherr
28-11-2007, 17:22
Standartbearer for the right cause... and the one and only real demonettes.

"It aint' the real thing if it got a nose!" ;)

Brother Loki
28-11-2007, 17:25
I like the 3rd edition ones. I like my figures to be nicely posed and sculpted.

Trickle
28-11-2007, 17:48
To save anyone having to spend 5+ minutes searching like Ive just done, they can be seen 1/4 way down this (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111405&page=3) thread.

Edit: I'll wait to see some painted ones and bigger pics before voting.

de Selby
28-11-2007, 17:54
I think the majority result is a foregone conclusion, but there's a hard core of people who like the new plastics and good luck to them. Personally I think that Juan Diaz's dancing girls of the apocalypse are some of the most graceful figures GW have ever produced, and the new daemonettes... ain't. However, apart from the hairstyles, they make perfectly good daemonic monster-women. I think the diaznettes are slightly better suited to 40k, personally. I'd be happier building a WFB army with new plastic slaaneshi daemons alongside the beastmen, minotaurs and whatnot.

Stella Cadente
28-11-2007, 17:58
3rd edition (pretty ones) get my vote

Sephtar II
28-11-2007, 17:59
The 3rd ed gals. The new ones just arent alluring which is kinda the point of a demonette.

ChaosMaster
The pretty ones are just that, but they are also annoying to assemble. Pinning those tiny little arms was quite a bit of fiddly effort. I'm looking forward to plastic ones after that.

MrBigMr
I think the majority result is a foregone conclusion, but there's a hard core of people who like the new plastics and good luck to them. Personally I think that Juan Diaz's dancing girls of the apocalypse are some of the most graceful figures GW have ever produced, and the new daemonettes... ain't. However, apart from the hairstyles, they make perfectly good daemonic monster-women. I think the diaznettes are slightly better suited to 40k, personally. I'd be happier building a WFB army with new plastic slaaneshi daemons alongside the beastmen, minotaurs and whatnot.
I was thinking about getting one of those new daemonettes as a shrimpgirl for my lobsterman, that I'm making for Inquisitor (we use 28mm models). Would make a nice pair.

de Selby
28-11-2007, 18:01
The Adventures of Lobsterman and Shrimpgirl sounds like a saturday morning TV serial. Will there be merchandising? Put me down for a T shirt.

redbaron998
28-11-2007, 18:35
I really like the 3rd Edition ones...they are so much more alluring...

So the Point of the Thread is more pointing towards: Do you want to see the Daemonettes as thier alluring seductive form, or as they really are...I prefer alluring..plus they just look great

AGC
28-11-2007, 18:36
I've never seen any of them in the flesh but I have seen all of them in pictures. So going purely by that the current metal ones are easily the best. They are lithe, dynamic, artistically posed, menacing yet delicate...

The new plastic ones appear to be waddling. Everytime I seem them I keep thinking of the birdy song.

grizzly ruin
28-11-2007, 18:41
I like the ones that have nipples, look lithe and graceful and not like the kinds of idiotic monsters I used to draw when I was 6.

TheOneWithNoName
28-11-2007, 18:42
I won't be buying any but I like the 3rd edition ones best.

PumaKiller
28-11-2007, 18:51
I think the 3rd edition metal ones look the best. The poses are very dynamic and the new plastics look too static and plain.

Imperialis_Dominatus
28-11-2007, 18:58
Duh.... third ed metal. Nuff said.

ServanoTomasin
28-11-2007, 19:03
I've only seen the 3rd ed and the new plastic deamonettes. And I prefer the 3rd ed ones, a lot more, mainly because they were only slightly mutated - only to the point where you could still tell they had once been women - not these weird mutant pigeons that have random female parts.... I mean, the 3rd ones looked like I thought thry should look (well to a point...some of the mutations...erm....)

I have a strange feeling that GW mail order may be on over time trying to sort out several thousand orders for 3rd ed deamonettes. I saw the new ones at GDUK and though:
"Jeese, these are crap, I hope these are prototypes/accidental scultps."
Then I saw the new ones and though:
"Jeese, these are crap, I hope the nonce who who alloud these to be released lost his job for this / this is some really, really sad joke".

I just prefer the 3rd ed ones. They look a lot better. It's probably a good thing that I bought my 3rd eds when I did - since GW screwed up the IW rules, I can now use them!

S.T
S.T

Earthbeard
28-11-2007, 19:10
3rd ed for me, though they are quite "small" in scale

boogle
28-11-2007, 19:15
I reall like the 3rd ed ones, they have a Litheness about them that shouts out 'we're the children of Slaanesh', even more so with the mounts.

Ardathair
28-11-2007, 20:23
In order.

First ed. (I have one of each of the dozen moldels.) {Interesting names too.}
Third Ed. (Close Second, but still partial to old school.)
New Plastics (Not bad.)
Counts as (Something as long as there are minis)
Just bases (OK we know that there are supposed to be models there.)
Paper chits (Atleast there is something out there that is not damaging to the eyes.)
_____ (Still thinking of something to put here.)
Second Ed. (I have a lower opinion of these models than I do of the second ed. Sentinels. And that is saying something.)

Sister_Sin
28-11-2007, 20:35
They're supposed to be 'disturbingly beautiful' according to all the fluff I've ever read. I should think the 3e versions are the best I've seen really.

Keep in mind though that I won't ever get them anyway, given that Khorne owns my soul when it comes to Chaos. World Eaters or nothing for me.

Sister Sin

MuttMan
28-11-2007, 21:10
I prefer my own daemonettes made up from callidus assassins, using lizardmen tails at the rear and second pair of arms using a pair of cut down hormagaunt talons to make the crab claws. The heads are random, to fit the fetishes of their prey, from skulls to goat heads and wolf/alien heads.

Xgladar
28-11-2007, 21:11
i dont mind if they have boobs or clothes,just as long as they get rid of the giant claw things!

or at least thin them down to look more slaneesh like,because currently the deamonettes look like they would fall over because of the weight of those claws

feelnopain666
28-11-2007, 21:15
I like the 3rd edition daemonettes. the new ones are as ugly as it can be, they look rather static, and remindes me of a Conan with boobs! :) I cant wait to see the new Plaguebearers.

Dominatrix
28-11-2007, 21:20
Is it my idea or is this the first time I have seen a poll lean so heavily towards a single option? :D

Khorghan
28-11-2007, 21:20
3rd ed, definatly in my opinion what daemonettes should look like.

love the signature kriegsharr

Sideros Peltarion
28-11-2007, 21:24
If only GW would take notice and stop their production.
Nope.
Not going to happen.
:cries:

tinfoil
28-11-2007, 21:37
Not even close. Pretty ones. Fine, yet feral.

EVIL INC
28-11-2007, 21:53
Keep in mind that the "disturbingly beautifull is a description of the illusion that they use to disquise themselves. It in no way represents thier ACTUAL physical form.
The claws. I never understood them exactly beyond that they could slice as delicately as a razor (part of the reason I dont like 2nd edition ones. THOSE claws were just too much) and snap or "snip away" parts that happened to be "sticking out" in a surprising fashion so that it was so fast, the pain did not hit until too late. Like a bear trap snapping shut on the unwary. I accepted them with the claws as a basic physical part of thier form. They are supposed to be "ugly" . Look at how extreme perversions and excesses warp and scar people in today's real life. Nowimagine those perversions being carried out over millennia by the eldar race which is FAR more imaginitive then us mere humans. Each one becoming progressively worse and worse and more and more mutilating. Add in the warping powers of chaos and mutation and you end up with perverse "monsters" who have to hide thier true form with more and more illusion to draw in new "recruits" and victoms. I as the "godlike" player want to see thier true form beneath the illusion but I can also easily see how others would like the more "eye candy" models that are pretty. My personal opinion is that I would LOVE to see the sculpting skill of the diaz models put into making the "ugly" ones with the poses and style of the 3rd ed metal ones.

El Presedente
28-11-2007, 22:30
Oh, you pretty things
Don't you know you're driving your
Mothers and fathers insane
Let me make it plain
You gotta make way for the Homo Superior
-David Bowie, "Oh, you pretty things" lyrics

You just won the warseer forums, forever.

I voted 3rd, because of boobs, just kidding, I can't seem to find a pic of any RT era ones though, anybody got one?

EVIL INC
28-11-2007, 22:38
http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c890225chaosldemons-h.htm
Not the best of pictures of course. If anyone is interested and in the U.S., I have some of the bloodletters at the bottom I would be willing to sell/trade. PM if interested.
Edit, zoomed it in to max so you can see them better now. As you can see, they show the mutating force of chaos more fully in that some have different mutations, some even dont have 2 claws. One has a hand, the other tentacles. Some are even a few more like the 3rd edition ones in that they arent horrifically ugly (not "pretty, but not REAL ugly).

Avenger2040
28-11-2007, 22:47
Too new to 40K, so I donīt know the differences between daemonettes versions, so I canīt tell.

Psycho_Laughs
28-11-2007, 22:51
i don't care about fluff. i'm a modeler.
and the 3rd edition metal are way prettier to look at.

Rabid Bunny 666
29-11-2007, 01:23
Shiny new ones, i'm still grinning at people saying they're static compared to the 3rd edition ones :D

Ouroboros
29-11-2007, 01:26
Damn, I don't think I've ever seen such a landslide poll in all the time I've been here.

Also to the guy that voted for the 2nd ed ones. I've got 40 of them I want to sell. Interested?

warchild9
29-11-2007, 01:53
version 3 are just plain sexy

Occulto
29-11-2007, 01:53
Also to the guy that voted for the 2nd ed ones. I've got 40 of them I want to sell. Interested?

He he. I'm probably the second person to vote for the 2nd ed ones.

Where are you located? I might be interested. :D

Tehkonrad
29-11-2007, 02:00
i like 3rd slightly better than 4th (which are OK)

Khorghan
29-11-2007, 02:12
Too new to 40K, so I donīt know the differences between daemonettes versions, so I canīt tell.

There are the ones that GW have now, the only ones youve probably seen seeing as your new, then you have the ones in the rumour section, and someone has a link of the old ones at the top of the page:)

ankara halla
29-11-2007, 02:19
For me, it's a tight call between the RT ones and the 3rd ed. ones. They are both lithe and "fast" looking to my eyes, the 2nd ed. and the new ones seem more bulky.

I voted for the Diaz versions, since they are very well sculped and very, very lithe, which is how I like to imagine Daemonettes and Slaanesh in general.

JCOLL
29-11-2007, 03:30
I'd be a liar if I said I liked 3rd edition for the pose... It's all about the boobs. You know it's true.

I <3 W
29-11-2007, 04:11
can someone post pics of all the choice splz (though I've seen the Rt and the new plastic ones) plz!

SV_Harlequin
29-11-2007, 04:15
A couple of the new ones can be saved with a bit of reposing and greenstuff. So I will get some but yeah I went online and rescued as many as I needed, the same time I got as many of the old Shadow Warriors as needed.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 09:30
On balance, I like the Juan Diaz 3rd Edition ones best, but the new ones aren't as bad as people claim. :)

Ouroboros
29-11-2007, 09:40
He he. I'm probably the second person to vote for the 2nd ed ones.

Where are you located? I might be interested. :D

Canada, so I'd imagine from your listed location, you're not.

Kriegsherr
29-11-2007, 10:59
3rd ed for me, though they are quite "small" in scale

which is the whole point of the 'nettes. They should be small and weak looking yet still have no problem beating down taller opponents thanks to them being trapped into pervert daydreams and their own demonic strength.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 12:16
which is the whole point of the 'nettes. They should be small and weak looking ...

Well, no, the point of Daemonettes is to tap into the innermost secrets of whoever's looking at them at the time. If that involves 400lb psycho-monster-men from Venus armed with large rosebushes, well, that's what you'll see.

Do Daemonettes have a 'natural' shape? If so, it involves claws. I don't think there's ever been a Daemonette without claws, or at least hooves.

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 12:34
the current 3rd edition ones are my favorite. There are no other daemonettes in my mind

Guyver OmegaX
29-11-2007, 12:40
Anyone wondering about the RT-era Daemonette's look no further :)

http://www.sodemons.com/dhurst/daemonettes/index.htm

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 12:40
That's what they want you to think, Micha... :p

Chupacabraplus
29-11-2007, 12:50
I think this poll pretty much sums up the debate.

9 out of 10 people prefer the older models, its not a matter of fluff or the voters being horny teenagers, the new models are just pretty bad.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 12:55
They're not that bad. I at least will be picking a box or two up just because I like the idea of variety in my WFB Daemon units.

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 12:59
-who- wants me to think Steiner? *L* The inquisition would like me to think of the new ones I"m sure. Less temptation and all that. (or just a refusal to admit good taste rather)

I'll get a set of new daemonettes, for one simple reason. My nurgle slaanesh army needs some disease ridden females in it. Imagine those horrible sculpts with pus oozing out of various orifices and there you go.

Ward.
29-11-2007, 13:00
Third edition ones, they've got boobs for Christ sake, whats the matter with you, you don't like boobs? :D

EDIT: ignore the thing that was below here.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 13:04
The Daemonettes want you to think that Micha... :p

As for the boobs aspect, tiny metal breasts don't, shockingly, arouse me.

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 13:05
Well I guess they will eat my soul, cause I have good taste *L*

the current ones are just such a beautiful sculpt. What's not to love about them? Until I saw my first Daemonette I used to think the Space marine was gw's best sculpt. (which it's still quite good in my opinion)

Chaos and Evil
29-11-2007, 13:07
The 3rd edition models are too adult for today's kid-friendly GW.

That about sums up why the Daemonettes have lost their nipples.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 13:10
The 3rd edition models are too adult for today's kid-friendly GW.

:eyebrows:

But flayed corpses and crucified, half-dead, half-alive man/machine things engaged in endless war are just fine for kids? What?

Is this symptomatic of the theory that violence is fine but nudity is EVIL!!1!, or is that just a lazy comment from you, C&E?

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 13:14
Yep, remember in today's society you can rip off someone's face and the event be shown on tv to children, but heaven forbid if you show breast!

And people wonder why cynicism is a growing national past time in America.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 13:19
Excuse me while I weep.

*sobbing noises*

Ah, that's better. Right, the new plastics which haven't been released yet are pretty funky when you look at them with the right mindset. They're so different to the Juan Diaz models that there's no point comparing them; at least that's how I see it.

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 13:21
sure there is. They are both female... (if you wanna insult females everywhere by calling those lobster clawed things female) which one seems more of an evil wicked tempting woman to you? And which one seems more like some disease ridden hooker beat with an ugly stick with a lobster claw grafted on?

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 13:25
Ah, but Daemonettes aren't female. They're seen as female but they are in fact hermaphroditic and can assume male or female appearance depending on who's looking.

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 13:30
Okay, even as men they are ugly *L* And what's with the lobster claw? Does Tzeencth have a hand in the creation of daemonettes? They are ever shifting between man,woman and lobster?

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 13:33
If you look at the Keeper of Secrets, you'll note that that, too, has a claw or two. The claw is, I think, to underline the repulsiveness of excess - or the allure of the forbidden, depending on your outlook. ;)

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 13:38
indeed. I like the current one's claw thingies better though. looks like it's meant to rip someone a new one.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 13:39
Or several new ones to be honest...!

MrBigMr
29-11-2007, 14:29
Well I guess they will eat my soul, cause I have good taste *L*
Oh, why does this debate remind me of Turnsignals?
"Prepare to repel boarders."
"Tally-ho! ... What is this? They're ladies. We can't hit ladies."
"No, you don't understand, they're daemonettes. They'll rip you from limb to limb and consume your souls."
"But, sir, that's what ladies do."

They're not that bad. I at least will be picking a box or two up just because I like the idea of variety in my WFB Daemon units.
Me too, but I preferred to have them all look good. As I don't have to worry about GW's "no third party bits" policy (hell, I know people who make models out of toys and play tournies with them), having 3rd party models along my daemonettes isn't a problem.
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/juuso007/Pics/legion/daem-leg-daemonette-1.jpg
(sorry about the quality, my camera was a little drunk)

But I do think I'll propably get a box, since I can always use the bits to spice up my armies. Lobsterman still needs his sidekick.

Ah, but Daemonettes aren't female. They're seen as female but they are in fact hermaphroditic and can assume male or female appearance depending on who's looking.
Wasn't there some talk about male daemonettes in a WHFB fluff or something, but it's propably a moot point in 40K anyway.

But where can I find more stuff about the daemons, as I am more interested on this "daemonic beer goggles"? I always thought that daemonettes are summoned in the form they are in, but it's the aura that makes them wanted. So they look like what they are, but people still find them atractive without much morphing or false images. Like how the Ethreal are no smarter than anyone other, but the Tau just find them to be very convincing because of their pheromones.

I mean, if you take a picture of a daemonette, shouldn't the pic show their real form, as I don't think the camera will have the hots for them and sees what it wants to see. And so forth. But that's just me, the one who votes on 'my daemonettes are always pretty'.

TzeentchForPresident
29-11-2007, 14:44
3rd editions. The new ones are better than 1 and 2nd editions but the current 3rd editions are so much better. They clearly show daemonettes that are more like Succubus, beutiful and deadly, killing their enemies with finesse rather than raw power. 2nd editions was just awful, the claws looked like the were as big as the body. =P

The new ones with Mohawk haircut and and corsettes looks like punk rock groupies with claws. At least they lack the bug eyes the first editions of Daemonettes had.

TheOverlord
29-11-2007, 14:49
I shall jump on the bandwagon and go with pretty instead :D I really could not care less what they're supposed to represent, I just like aesthetics :P

EVIL INC
29-11-2007, 17:35
Again, remember, ALL daemonettes look like ugly claws monstrosities.
The only difference is
1. Do you want you model on the table to look like the ILLUSION of a beautifull woman that they all show "in game" to lure new recruits/victoms (the physical form beneath that illusion still remains an ugly clawed daemon) or
2. Do you want your models to look like the ACTUAL FORM of the daemon beneath the illusion?

I as a gamer want to have the "gods eye view" in that My real life eyes are not fooled by theimaginary magic that exists only in the imagination of a made up game. I understand how many might like the prettier ones. My only issue are those who claim that the illusion is the real form beneath when it is not.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 17:36

Actually, they probably look worse. ;) Like... Chaplain Lemartes bad. :p

de Selby
29-11-2007, 18:02
I think there's several different issues being compounded here
1) Should the creatures depicted look monstrous or graceful?
2) Specific design decisions. Should they have pincers? Topknots?*
3) Execution. Does the result look like the concept worked out in stages 1 and 2?

People who dislike the new plastics bring up a mix of all three issues (I only have real reservations about no.2), whereas those who have a problem with the diaznettes generally only have problems with stage 1.

To summarize, it's possible to have a beautiful model of a monstrous concept, and an ugly model of a graceful concept.

*the answer to this question is always no, by the way. GW, I'm talking to you...

Pokpoko
29-11-2007, 18:05
Again, remember, ALL daemonettes look like ugly claws monstrosities.[snip]

you'v already said it once,i guess really no-one cares if they look like old sneakers in fluff,they want pretty toys:p;)

MrBigMr
29-11-2007, 18:08
*wraps his head in his arms*
Aaaa-lalalala, I'm not listening!

My only issue are those who claim that the illusion is the real form beneath when it is not.
I'm not claiming anything, but I would prefer to see more about this "daemonic beer goggles" thingy. I had to have a look into my Hordes of Chaos armybook to see if there was anything about it, but nothing about it. Daemonettes are said to be pretty, alluring with magic. Nothing about them actually changing their appearance or making their targets see them as anything else. It's simply said that their allure is strong enough to make even gay men want them, not that they turn into beefy dudes in their eyes.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 18:12
I'm not claiming anything, but I would prefer to see more about this "daemonic beer goggles" thingy.

Liber Chaotica: Slaanesh. There is a Daemonette in there whose skin is described by a cultist as super-soft and supple and yet in reality has harsh, shark-like leathery skin...!

MrBigMr
29-11-2007, 18:37
Liber Chaotica: Slaanesh. There is a Daemonette in there whose skin is described by a cultist as super-soft and supple and yet in reality has harsh, shark-like leathery skin...!
That's all? Both skins would be smooth in looks, so only the sensation would be different. If the body was a bloated hulk of oozing flesh, it would be different. That description doesn't give much to think the daemons would actually look different.

Besides, if the cultist was taken by the allure, he could have rubbed his face with sand paper and say it felt like satin, yet the he would be holding sand paper and not satin.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 20:00
That's all?

That's all I can remember. ;) My copy is 100 miles away and I've not read it for a good few months.

MrBigMr
29-11-2007, 20:04
That's all I can remember. ;) My copy is 100 miles away and I've not read it for a good few months.
I can wait while you get it.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 20:40
I can wait while you get it.

It'll be some time! :p But fair enough, when I find the quotes I'll put 'em here. Or eat my words. Whichever is necessary!

Cirrus the Blue
29-11-2007, 20:54

It's not as though there's only one type of Daemonette, or Daemon for that matter in the way they might look. All types of Daemonettes and Daemons of Slaanesh have infinite possibilities for diversity in the physical appearances (be it hideously disturbing, massively arousing, or both as the case may be) along with each of the other Gods Daemons. Diverse as they might be in that respect, it's still distinguishable between the deities and 'types' of Daemon, so realistically, it'd make perfect sense for people to mix and match all of the Daemonette figures throughout the editions on the same table at that level if you're really going for appropriate flavor to your army. :) Me, personally however, I really like the 3rd edition ones (not unlike everyone else in this thread apparently). :p

Cirrus the Blue
29-11-2007, 21:00
It'll be some time! :p But fair enough, when I find the quotes I'll put 'em here. Or eat my words. Whichever is necessary!

And I remember that little tidbit in LC-S, too! It was a chunk of flesh that had been pinned to the book that held a really funky Slaaneshi tattoo on dried and brown horrible looking skin.

A better way to give more tangible evidence of the diversity in the look of Daemons is the little bit of background on the painting I forget the name of that was in the LC-S. rrgh.. It's on the tip of my tongue and there was a short story all about it in a really really old issue of Inferno (I think it was issue 11 and was actually really well done I thought!). It showed a little bit of the picture and those Daemons looked nucking futs and not anything like you'd expect for Slaanesh. But also, they're freaking Daemons!! There's no way they'd all look the same as they're born out of the dreams and nightmares of mortals to begin with. Nobody's dreams or nightmares are the same, so why should the Daemons? :)

- Cirrus

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 21:02
Cirrus the Blue, you've made my point much more eloquently than I. Thank you. :) I totally agree with everything you've said in those two posts!

TheOverlord
29-11-2007, 21:16
One must wonder though... if one were to have differing tastes in sexuality, would the daemonette change it's form to suit it? I can only imagine people with tastes in Reubenesque women would see them as such, or those with odd fetishes see them in another way.

Reason I wanna ask this is cause I had this crazy idea of making a Loli Daemonette ala 4chan out of some japanese gasaphon (some sorta model thing) out of sheer boredom.

... Ok that's not the reason I was asking the question, but can anyone enlighten me? I have the Liber with me, but honestly reading the thing gives me such a headache with it's horrible choice of fonts I think I may have glossed over the fact.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 21:25
One must wonder though... if one were to have differing tastes in sexuality, would the daemonette change it's form to suit it?

Yes, in a nutshell. Everyone sees the same Daemonette differently, to reflect their own innermost desires.

MrBigMr
29-11-2007, 21:26
One must wonder though... if one were to have differing tastes in sexuality, would the daemonette change it's form to suit it? I can only imagine people with tastes in Reubenesque women would see them as such, or those with odd fetishes see them in another way.
You're not the only one. And if it happens, would the daemonettes looks be visible to all, or just the one fighting it? After seeing a guy from your squad fight a big burly male daemonette, the next night will propably be acwardly silent.

Reason I wanna ask this is cause I had this crazy idea of making a Loli Daemonette ala 4chan out of some japanese gasaphon (some sorta model thing) out of sheer boredom.
In 40K, loli daemonette ****s you up.

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 21:29
You're not the only one. And if it happens, would the daemonettes looks be visible to all, or just the one fighting it?

No, it'd appear different to everyone looking at it. If Soldier A fancies men, he sees a man. If Soldier B fancies horses, he sees a really cute horse. Etc.

And... yes, this includes the really twisted stuff that people bury in their psyches like children, the dead, mutilation, etc, etc, which I really shouldn't go into on this forum.

TheOverlord
29-11-2007, 21:32
In 40K, loli daemonette ****s you up.

QFT :D

Thanks for the answer Genrul. Now I can create that six mallary glanded (I think thats what it's called?) child'o'death now :D Just waiting for that particular line to come in.

MrBigMr
29-11-2007, 21:49
And... yes, this includes the really twisted stuff that people bury in their psyches like children, the dead, mutilation, etc, etc, which I really shouldn't go into on this forum.
Isn't it about what the want to see. So if one fancies a blonde today and a redhead tomorrow, it'd think the view should alter accordingly. Just because one might get kicks from sick stuff, he or she might not want to face those things. That's why they're fantasies, because they're not real. We don't always want them to come true.

But to ask more before the mods get here and shut this thing down again.

Does the daemonette have any control on the image? How do they act outside of combat. In Daemon World there was a daemonette given as a gift to a tribal leader into his personal harem. Would the daemonette have a more or less normal form when in 'passive' state, but in 'active' state (such as combat or 'recreation pastime') they would shift to please the user.
Would that be fair to say?

Cirrus the Blue
29-11-2007, 21:58
Cirrus the Blue, you've made my point much more eloquently than I. Thank you. :) I totally agree with everything you've said in those two posts!

Happy to help out! :)

- Cirrus

Gen.Steiner
29-11-2007, 22:09
[QUOTE=MrBigMr;2138898Does the daemonette have any control on the image? How do they act outside of combat. In Daemon World there was a daemonette given as a gift to a tribal leader into his personal harem. Would the daemonette have a more or less normal form when in 'passive' state, but in 'active' state (such as combat or 'recreation pastime') they would shift to please the user.
Would that be fair to say?[/QUOTE]

I would think so, but perhaps that Daemon had specific powers? I dunno. It must vary hugely from Daemon to Daemon... as a generalisation people see different things, but then there's those that are always seen as male, for example.

Cirrus the Blue
29-11-2007, 22:13
Isn't it about what the want to see. So if one fancies a blonde today and a redhead tomorrow, it'd think the view should alter accordingly. Just because one might get kicks from sick stuff, he or she might not want to face those things. That's why they're fantasies, because they're not real. We don't always want them to come true.

Does the daemonette have any control on the image? How do they act outside of combat. In Daemon World there was a daemonette given as a gift to a tribal leader into his personal harem. Would the daemonette have a more or less normal form when in 'passive' state, but in 'active' state (such as combat or 'recreation pastime') they would shift to please the user.

It sounds to me like you're thinking of Slaanesh himself. He's the embodiment of perfection and quite literally everything your mind can possibly fantasize about and you wouldn't be able to deal so you'd just keel over and die if you were to see him (or her, or it as the case may be) but it wouldn't be an unpleasant experience. ;) He can alter his form though to fit your ultimate desires, but I wouldn't think the Daemonettes have much say in what they look like though, moreso the fears and hedonistic fantasies of your mind all jumbled and perverted to the utter extremes you never thought about before. But they wouldn't all look 'the same', either. Like I said before, there's more to the Deamon status than simply Daemonettes. ;) Heck, there's even types we probably can't even pronounce let alone comprehend without going crazy. :p

- Cirrus

Kriegsherr
30-11-2007, 11:29
Well, no, the point of Daemonettes is to tap into the innermost secrets of whoever's looking at them at the time. If that involves 400lb psycho-monster-men from Venus armed with large rosebushes, well, that's what you'll see.

Do Daemonettes have a 'natural' shape? If so, it involves claws. I don't think there's ever been a Daemonette without claws, or at least hooves.

Well, if you take the 6th edition WFB Hordes of Chaos Armybook as canon, no, the point is exactly that: small and weak looking...

Of course I know they are described differently in each new "Fluff-source", just wanted to point out that slaaneshi demons maybe shouldn't be "khorne-demon beefy"....

Anyway, on with the senseless discussion of a myriad of different sources for Chaos Fluff and personal taste :p

silashand
30-11-2007, 11:33
Seeing the response to this poll tells me that the new plastics aren't nearly as good or as popular as GW would like to believe. Sure, this is only one forum, but really, the spread between the results is pretty dramatic nonetheless... ;)

Cheers, Gary

Kriegsherr
30-11-2007, 12:10
Seeing the response to this poll tells me that the new plastics aren't nearly as good or as popular as GW would like to believe. Sure, this is only one forum, but really, the spread between the results is pretty dramatic nonetheless... ;)

Cheers, Gary

Well, to be honest, most people like the old metal nettes better than the new plastic ones.

That doesn't means that each of them will refrain from buying new plastics (like I'll do) or that everyone will be able to resist the urge of a "new shiny mini" even though it might look like crap in his/her eyes.

The plastics will sell, there is no doubt... just not as well as GW might think right now by looking on the metal 'nettes numbers.

And not only because of the inferiorness (IMO) of the new minis, but also because I don't think the new codex demonica will attract as many players as the rending demon bomb in the 3.5 CSM Codex ;)
And because to sell new minis to players already owning the old ones, GW has to do one of three things: selling them FOR FREE, making them particularly better looking than the last iteration or making them so much cheaper in the new codex that everyone needs double the amount from what he got now (like the new ork boyz :) ).... failing that, they will only be bitz sources for people already owning an armies worth of metal 'nettes

Captain Micha
30-11-2007, 12:25
I think Gw would be sadly dissappointed to see me using the new daemonettes as more or less nurglings. They'd make excellent nurglings with as ugly as they are

Gen.Steiner
30-11-2007, 13:35
...just wanted to point out that slaaneshi demons maybe shouldn't be "khorne-demon beefy"

They're not. :confused:

MrBigMr
30-11-2007, 14:03
It sounds to me like you're thinking of Slaanesh himself.
Well, maybe it's just me who doesn't like the puss leaking, spiky bits, corrupt look of evil all the time. Where are the organized evils? Why is it always hideous monsters, when it can be Hannibal Lecters? I would prefer at least one army to have something appealing (and I don't mean boobs, I mean astetics), not just monsters that rival each other on how ugly or scary they look.

jfjnpxmy
30-11-2007, 14:30
Well, maybe it's just me who doesn't like the puss leaking, spiky bits, corrupt look of evil all the time. Where are the organized evils? Why is it always hideous monsters, when it can be Hannibal Lecters?

Wouldn't organized evils kind of be the opposite of chaos?

MrBigMr
30-11-2007, 16:45
Wouldn't organized evils kind of be the opposite of chaos?
Well, if frenzied Khorne troops can march in an orderly fashion in WHFB, then there must be something to it. Discipline, control and unified look is more than enough to make disciplined troops. If Chaos didn't have any of that, then how in the hell can they run planets, build and develope new stuff and even hope to rally in some campaign against the Imperium and rest of the galaxy? Slaanesh planets aren't just one massive waving flesh of orgy and I doubt Khorne worlds are a one big happy gladiator battle.

Besides, Chaos is somewhat organized already. You have different factions that are based on different things.

EVIL INC
30-11-2007, 19:20

That is why they are "disturbingly beautifull. the person might have deeply buried desires and fetish tastes that they might not even consciously be aware of. This is why when they are exposed to them in a surprising manner, it comes to the fore even if thier conscious mind is trying to expell it back. The aura of the daemonette does it naturally to the victoms senses. Now look at the keeper of secrets, thats where it's name came from. They can see into a "mans" soul and consciously pull it forth and show it to them without having to use an aura. The aura of the daemonettes warps the senses of the victom. For example while under the effect of the aura, getting ripped in half by claws feels like bliss. Under other circumstances, the victom might find it a tad uncomfortable.
I can totally understand why many want to use the pretty 3rd edition ones. they are very nice models. looking back at the rogue trader ones, I find that I still prefer them over all others because they are more varied and show a variety of "tastes" while theones since them only show a single "taste" or vision of them. I would like to see the originals put into a plastic set with dynamic poses available and a "mutations" sprue to demonstrate the different "tastes" whether it be the pretty heads, claws, hands, or even in the case of the original the suckerface head :angel:. That would allow for everyone to be happy and could call for some ...."unique" customizations on other models with the spare bits.:evilgrin:

blackcherry
30-11-2007, 21:00
i think that may be why GW are NOT going to be doing that:D. In the same way that the 3rd edition models, as nice as they are (the best version as far as i am concerned, the rest all just look like slapheads with crab claws) are not going to exist for long, GW simply doesn't want to market models that parents may see and complain about. hell imagine what would happen if one of them got in touch with a national newspaper? that would be GWs potential future consumer base gone:p

EVIL INC
30-11-2007, 21:31
Bah, I played against a slannesh army a year ago and let us just say that in the army, even the weapons were "anatomically correct". The guy who made the army seemed to have a private parts fetish (both male and female) and whoa, did he EVER make itplain on the models. Even the tanks had huge"organs" sculpted onto them. That army made ANY of the daemonette versions look like rated g disney movies.
People have been pointing out wargame models as evil for decades now and if anything, the more "scanelous" the model, the more it will sell rather then less.

Pokpoko
30-11-2007, 21:38
and again,it is a sad,sad proof that it is more acceptable to the western society to show a slaughter in details, than one ounce of naked body. you'd think sex is worse than killing people:p

MrBigMr
30-11-2007, 22:59
Bah, I played against a slannesh army a year ago and let us just say that in the army, even the weapons were "anatomically correct". The guy who made the army seemed to have a private parts fetish (both male and female) and whoa, did he EVER make itplain on the models. Even the tanks had huge"organs" sculpted onto them. That army made ANY of the daemonette versions look like rated g disney movies.
You don't need Slaanesh to have a crazy army. I've seen a Tyranid army of tentacle monster Warriors with lashwhips doing all sorts of insane things to school girl sororitas, and I can say that the bio-plasma didn't come out of their mouths.

I can admit that I've had some insane conversion ideas, but no real place to put them. My WHFB daemonic legion does have a Hellcannon project on the way (when using the mortal list, of course) with the thing made from a Tyranid Biovore (the old one, with the ammo sack between the legs), GS and the crew of dwarf women to keep the cannon 'ready'.

The funny thing is that my 40K Slaanesh army is 'clean'. They're organized (paperwork and all that) and their armors are unified, no flesh growing over it or breasts poking out. Veterans have more mutations. All the nasty stuff is in fluff, rather than on the board.

That is why they are "disturbingly beautifull.
What about people who work with the daemonettes, or lords who have done it all during the past 10 000 years, having even power over the lesser daemons? How would they view the daemonettes? Can the force an image on the creatures?
"You'll be a blonde, you a brunette and you redhead. Lord Charlie's angels."

jfjnpxmy
30-11-2007, 23:12
If Chaos didn't have any of that, then how in the hell can they run planets, build and develope new stuff and even hope to rally in some campaign against the Imperium and rest of the galaxy?

Because they don't do it in a unified manner. The worlds conquered and captured by Chaos range from your mundane, boring-planet-with-some-nutter-who-likes-killing-in-charge type dealies, to head-*********** nightmares of non-Euclidian geometry where up is down, left is right and forwards is chocolate. And they're conquered by everything from Space Marines with red x's on their shoulderpads, to flailing tentacle monsters that materialise out of thin air and eat you, wherever they go, the relatively ordered Imperium/Tau Empire/Eldar Worlds crumble and are replaced with whatever random whim or weirdness seems like a good idea at the time - chaotic, no? And, really, this approach means they DON'T rally in some campaign and overthrow the Imperium. Mostly they squabble and skirmish and cause trouble. The only time Chaos seems to make big headway's when Abby-D turns the random squabbling nuttery of Chaos into the relative order of a Black Crusade.

Slaanesh planets aren't just one massive waving flesh of orgy and I doubt Khorne worlds are a one big happy gladiator battle.

Of course, that'd be pretty ordered and predictable.

Besides, Chaos is somewhat organized already. You have different factions that are based on different things.

Exactly. Rather than the Relatively Unified Tau Empire, or the Single-Minded And Purposeful Tyrannids/Necrons or the Arranged According To The Codex Astartes And Rigidly Following The Traditions Of Their Chapter Space Marines, you've got a bunch of different dudes all fighting and feuding for different reasons, and then all of a sudden some of them randomly turn into random monsters. Chaotic, yo.

Anyway, sorry to derail. In conclusion, I quite like the new daemonettes.

MrBigMr
01-12-2007, 00:38
Because they don't do it in a unified manner. The worlds conquered and captured by Chaos range from your mundane, boring-planet-with-some-nutter-who-likes-killing-in-charge type dealies, to head-*********** nightmares of non-Euclidian geometry where up is down, left is right and forwards is chocolate. And they're conquered by everything from Space Marines with red x's on their shoulderpads, to flailing tentacle monsters that materialise out of thin air and eat you, wherever they go, the relatively ordered Imperium/Tau Empire/Eldar Worlds crumble and are replaced with whatever random whim or weirdness seems like a good idea at the time - chaotic, no?
How does that differ from the average Imperial world?
Ok, but seriously, life on a Chaos controlled planet might not be any different from Imperial life. Even if it all depends on how mad the boss is. But that's true to any world. Does it really matter if you life on a Daemon World with daemons, or on a Deathworld with all sorts of monsters? Or on a Forge World of the Admech or Dark Adeptus?

Exactly. Rather than the Relatively Unified Tau Empire, or the Single-Minded And Purposeful Tyrannids/Necrons or the Arranged According To The Codex Astartes And Rigidly Following The Traditions Of Their Chapter Space Marines, you've got a bunch of different dudes all fighting and feuding for different reasons, and then all of a sudden some of them randomly turn into random monsters. Chaotic, yo.
Tau have different septs and then there's the Farsight enclave; Hive Fleets can fight each other over things; The Eldar are split into various groups and even the Craftworlds fight each other; Necrons serving different gods can take on each other; and don't even get me started on the Imperium... At least with Chaos, you won't get shot for not worshiping your god zealously enough. You just don't get that nifty tentacle upgrade.

Anyway, sorry to derail. In conclusion, I quite like the new daemonettes.
Oh, yeah, the topic... I'm missing the grace and motion of the metal ones. Now they're just ugly women standing around, where as the metal ones have that alluring dance to them. And don't tell me that dance is in the head of the watcher as well. More and more the daemonettes start to sound like the Lock Ness monster from South Park.
Thomas: Well, it was about that time that I notice that girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era.

Cirrus the Blue
01-12-2007, 00:58
That is why they are "disturbingly beautifull. the person might have deeply buried desires and fetish tastes that they might not even consciously be aware of. This is why when they are exposed to them in a surprising manner, it comes to the fore even if thier conscious mind is trying to expell it back. The aura of the daemonette does it naturally to the victoms senses. Now look at the keeper of secrets, thats where it's name came from. They can see into a "mans" soul and consciously pull it forth and show it to them without having to use an aura. The aura of the daemonettes warps the senses of the victom. For example while under the effect of the aura, getting ripped in half by claws feels like bliss. Under other circumstances, the victom might find it a tad uncomfortable.
I can totally understand why many want to use the pretty 3rd edition ones. they are very nice models. looking back at the rogue trader ones, I find that I still prefer them over all others because they are more varied and show a variety of "tastes" while theones since them only show a single "taste" or vision of them. I would like to see the originals put into a plastic set with dynamic poses available and a "mutations" sprue to demonstrate the different "tastes" whether it be the pretty heads, claws, hands, or even in the case of the original the suckerface head :angel:. That would allow for everyone to be happy and could call for some ...."unique" customizations on other models with the spare bits.:evilgrin:

hahahaha *Birdo Daemonettes* :p Seriously though, this would've been a really neat idea had GW done extra research and come up with something like that to have them completely customizable into whatever the heck you want, be it hideously deformed, alarmingly beautiful, and both all at once!

- Cirrus

EVIL INC
01-12-2007, 01:45
MrBigMr, I would imagine that some of the ones who have worked with the daemonettes for 10k years are I am sure so jaded that it would take a huge special thing to get them excited. This is why the fetishes get more and more extreme whether they are sex or sound or visual or whatnot. You know like after the first hundred or so years, yyou might be tired of the "reguler" and decide to start experimenting with 4 armed women, 16 breasted ones ect ect and after 10k years....I would imagine that they would just be "doing" the daemonettes in thier natural form just because they are not ordinary or because they are so jaded that the reality and the actual scars left from the "active" fetishes leave would do more for them then any illusion.
I would say that yes, they would be able to look at them and just see the redheads or blondes or whatever thier desire is at the time and "control" it. Again, that wouldnt actually make the physical hair change color but the illusion that is shown would change.

MrBigMr
01-12-2007, 06:14
hahahaha *Birdo Daemonettes* :p Seriously though, this would've been a really neat idea had GW done extra research and come up with something like that to have them completely customizable into whatever the heck you want, be it hideously deformed, alarmingly beautiful, and both all at once!
Why not have a one size fits all daemons? Hell, they're one stat wonders now, so making a "lesser daemons" box that has a standard set of daemons with god specific bits would feel like a logical choice.

Hellebore
01-12-2007, 06:21
MrBigMr, I would imagine that some of the ones who have worked with the daemonettes for 10k years are I am sure so jaded that it would take a huge special thing to get them excited. This is why the fetishes get more and more extreme whether they are sex or sound or visual or whatnot. You know like after the first hundred or so years, yyou might be tired of the "reguler" and decide to start experimenting with 4 armed women, 16 breasted ones ect ect and after 10k years....I would imagine that they would just be "doing" the daemonettes in thier natural form just because they are not ordinary or because they are so jaded that the reality and the actual scars left from the "active" fetishes leave would do more for them then any illusion.
I would say that yes, they would be able to look at them and just see the redheads or blondes or whatever thier desire is at the time and "control" it. Again, that wouldnt actually make the physical hair change color but the illusion that is shown would change.

So they change dependent on the jade levels in the worshipper?

So for noobies they get the new hottness, but all the old hands get the old and busted?

Sadly makes sense.

Hellebore

BrainFireBob
01-12-2007, 06:41
They should have boobs. 3rd Ed

azimaith
01-12-2007, 06:41
Yes, in a nutshell. Everyone sees the same Daemonette differently, to reflect their own innermost desires.

An interesting (and cheap alternative) I suppose daemonettes could certainly take on other forms. IE a large cola and hamburger with a nice pair of boots and clean warm socks for a starving trench manning guardsman.

Just use little fridge magnets of stuff like ice cream cones and stick them on a base and put some big vicious critter hiding behind it :P.

Seriously though, i'd imagined daemonettes would look similar to the xenomorphs in their true form. The gieger alien was sexualized intentionally to make it somewhat perverse and i'd imagine for as grotesque and horrifying as they look under their illusion, they still have some sort of perverse sense to them.

Pokpoko
01-12-2007, 09:49
So they change dependent on the jade levels in the worshipper?

So for noobies they get the new hottness, but all the old hands get the old and busted?

Sadly makes sense.

Hellebore
and the really jaded worshippers,the ones that have tried every excess..well,their last words are supposed to be "consentual sex in missionary position? sick and wrong!":p

MrBigMr
02-12-2007, 18:15
Seriously though, i'd imagined daemonettes would look similar to the xenomorphs in their true form. The gieger alien was sexualized intentionally to make it somewhat perverse and i'd imagine for as grotesque and horrifying as they look under their illusion, they still have some sort of perverse sense to them.
I'd imagine the thing from Species, also made by Giger:
http://www.dvdfuture.com/images/upload/SPECIES3-SL03-still_hires.jpg
God I love Giger's work.

EVIL INC
05-12-2007, 13:23
It looks as though I should have asked the question in a different way. Looking at the posts and results, people do prefer the current matel ones on a purely sculpting modeling viewpoint. It is also apparant that from a gaming and fluff viewpoint, the "ugly" ones are preferred.
The results are about what we expected them to be. Thank you for participating.:)