PDA

View Full Version : Marines on top of Marines

LoneSniperSG
28-11-2007, 15:11
I'm curious if any Non-Codex marine player (like Space Wolves, BT, etc.) has given over any thought to fielding a couple Codex Marine squads for Apocalypse?

I ask this as a Space Wolves player, whose army notoriously draws little strength from its heavy weapon squads. I'm getting the urge to decking out a Dev squad from, say, Blood Angels or something.

pookie
28-11-2007, 15:31
as a BT player i deff would field some allied Dev Sqds ( prob from IF ), help make up for my short fall in fire power ( my BT force is a Infantry Force equiped soley for CC )

RavenMorpheus
28-11-2007, 16:35
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Long Fangs the SW equivalent of Dev Squads?

sigur
28-11-2007, 16:36
Isn't this the kind of thinking that Apocalypse isn't made for?

ChaosMaster
28-11-2007, 16:40
Marines on top of Marines
The title of this thread is quite humorous, but...must...keep...jokes...to myself!

Long Fangs are Devs for Space Wolves with the added bonus that they can split their fire between two targets, even better than the combat squads rule because you can mix weapons in the same squad of just 5 men and then shoot at what makes sense instead of having to buy a large squad to split. And yes, Apocalypse allows you to mix units from different army books, so it's a good chance to field your "regular" Marine squads next to units from Space Wolves, etc.

Stella Cadente
28-11-2007, 16:46
I would take Dark angels and Black templars.....and then at the end blast all the black templars to pieces:D
(allot, if not all of the Dark Angel and Black Templar players should get that)

Chaplain Dionitas
28-11-2007, 17:10
Yeah use DA. That way you can fight yourself before, possibly during and then after.

LoneSniperSG
28-11-2007, 17:42
The title of this thread is quite humorous, but...must...keep...jokes...to myself!

Long Fangs are Devs for Space Wolves with the added bonus that they can split their fire between two targets, even better than the combat squads rule because you can mix weapons in the same squad of just 5 men and then shoot at what makes sense instead of having to buy a large squad to split. And yes, Apocalypse allows you to mix units from different army books, so it's a good chance to field your "regular" Marine squads next to units from Space Wolves, etc.

Well, Long Fang squads are at a big disadvantage. We don't have meatshields for them like, say, Ultramarines do. 5 man squad with the ability to add an elite leader, still makes for kind of a crappy squad that isn't very forgiving under fire.

Grimtuff
28-11-2007, 17:53
Well, Long Fang squads are at a big disadvantage. We don't have meatshields for them like, say, Ultramarines do. 5 man squad with the ability to add an elite leader, still makes for kind of a crappy squad that isn't very forgiving under fire.

Then,
1: You're ignoring the whole background of Long Fangs
2: You're missing the point of Apocalypse
3: In huge games a unit's power scale can be diminished or increase. In the case of Long Fangs theirs will increase somewhat due to the fact there will be a helluva lot of other more juicy targets in your army.

The only Codex SM unit I take in my SW is a Techmarine masquerading as an Iron Priest, mainly becuase I want a Servo Harness and Tech Servitors. :p

Latro_
28-11-2007, 18:26
why not take a tech priest and a load of servitor driver turantula platforms?
that'd look alot cooler and be more fluffy.

Forlorn
28-11-2007, 18:32

Lonesniper is correct in his statement though. They do not have any additonal figures to weed out from taking fire and any hits directly impact your heavy weapons.

Placement of a SW Long Fangs Squad is critical to their longevity and due to their range I set them way back with other units between them and the enemy. Normally only organce can reach out and touch them.

catbarf
28-11-2007, 18:45
Ah, silly Marine players. We Guard get three heavy weapons in a squad, and only 6 wounds at T3 5+...

Really, even Long Fangs are pretty hard to kill compared to most other races.

Stella Cadente
28-11-2007, 18:54
Ah, silly Marine players. We Guard get three heavy weapons in a squad, and only 6 wounds at T3 5+...
yes true, but for the price of a 5 man long fang squad with 4 lascannons (as an example) we get 2 teams with 6 lascannons, and still enough to sharpshoot both units, so were still getting more than them

Rikens
28-11-2007, 18:58
For some reason I was reminded of the KITH movie "Brain Candy" when I saw the title of this thread. I just had to say that. Carry on...

/"You and me, Private!"

grizzly ruin
28-11-2007, 19:01

Somewhere there is a space marine with his long time friend's power armor inside of his own power armor, hanging in his closet.

LoneSniperSG
29-11-2007, 02:51
Somewhere there is a space marine with his long time friend's power armor inside of his own power armor, hanging in his closet.
.... Okay... O.o

Anyone else stacking Marines on top of their Marine army?