PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever refused, or been refused?

nojinx
28-11-2007, 20:56
In my short life in the world of 40K forums, I often read comments similar to this: "If a player ever did XYZ, I would refuse to play him/her." 'XYZ' is generally an application of a rule interpreted in some way offensive to the writer.

I've never seen this happen. Have you? Were you ever involved in a game where a player (maybe you) walked away from the table? What was the reason? Did you have second thoughts on the matter later?

I curious to hear stories. While I can imagine it happening, I'd think it rare. Please share.

FruitSmack!
28-11-2007, 21:03
I think more people should refuse to play idiots*. My time is valuable to me. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

aaron

*I know that idiot is a subjective term and that one person's idiot might not be idiotic to another person.

Seth the Dark
28-11-2007, 21:05
I wouldn't ever refuse to play a person since this is supposed to be a fun game. I would merely avoid playing that person or try to get the gaming group to change his ways.

MuttMan
28-11-2007, 21:07
I refused a guy once. Only because he argued with me the previous game on rules we had no answers to, and we were sure to run into them again, and again, the same argument. The FAQ came out a lil while after that (and I was right) and then he wouldnt play me.

Go figure, huh?

chromedog
28-11-2007, 21:08
If he is openly and knowingly cheating then I would stop playing him, pack up and leave the table, and never play him again. If necessary, I would go find a new club, too.

Life is too short to waste it on Pshhht! noobs.

Cry of the Wind
28-11-2007, 21:12
I've never refused a game unless I just happened to be in a GW and didn't feel like playing anymore that day. That said there are players who I will avoid playing with through either not asking them for a game or making sure I won't be in a position to be asked by them either. There really aren't many players like that who I've encoutered so far so it hasn't been a problem for me overall.

jfrazell
28-11-2007, 21:15
I've avoided players in the past. I walked away from one 40K game when my opponent turned super crotchety and starting getting into an argument with his mate who was watching the game.

I take it back. I walked away from a game back in 2nd edition, but it was not my opponent's fault. I was stressed out about law school finals and work and just couldn't focus.

PotatoLegs
28-11-2007, 21:17
If he is openly and knowingly cheating then I would stop playing him, pack up and leave the table, and never play him again. If necessary, I would go find a new club, too.

Life is too short to waste it on Pshhht! noobs.

I think you're missing the point of this thread - He's asking if you've ACTUALLY refused to play someone or vice versa.

As for me- nope

EVIL INC
28-11-2007, 21:20
I generally will play anyone.
Now, I may (and have) refuse to play them again, but I give them a fair chance first. I will refuse to play them a second time if they act like jerks.
Cheesy list , unpainted models and such, i dont care so much about as I am playing a game to have fun and expect the same of them.

The_Outsider
28-11-2007, 21:21
I've come close, but no I have not ever outright refused to play someone.

I have expressed disprovel for a few things so my view is known, but I still play people.

In return someone has refused to play me though that was more of they were adamant their army just couldn't defeat mine and they were probably right (CC nids VS DE raider armada is not a good mix).

Gaebriel
28-11-2007, 21:25
I refused to meet to play someone once, based on an age decision. I never refused to play someone out of rules issues, but I would if someone resolved to "clever reading", ie blatantly misusing a rule.

Kahadras
28-11-2007, 21:26
I've never been refused a game as far back as I can remember. I've refused games in the past but those where to the local prat who'd field the most 'optimised' army he could against everybody and would usualy end up cheating if it started to look even remotly like he was going to get less than a massacre. Life's to short to deal with people like that IMHO.

Kahadras

Bestiaparda
28-11-2007, 21:29
In the middle of an internal torunament of staff in GW Spain (the prize for the winner was a trip at the Headquarter of GW in England) I left the room because the other player was annoying me with a lot of things. I will put examples:
He moved his berzerkers at the opposite side of a wall so I couldnīt fire at them. The problem was that the wall could only hide 3 berzerkers (in base to base contact) and his squad was of 7 or 8. His solution was to lay down 2 berzerkers and put the rest of the squad lying over them. A sandwich tower of 3 or 4 berzerkers each one.

His terminators walked through impassable terrain (decided before the battle started), his rapaxes landed on the top of trees...

I was so annoyed that I picked up my eldar and refused to play with this person.

Rikens
28-11-2007, 21:31
Playing games is just like dating. If you're going to pick up, expect that sometimes it'll result in your nuts getting itchy.

The_Outsider
28-11-2007, 21:34
Hence why IMO every game should have a 3rd person to act as an impartial judge.

As I play down my local GW and space is tight we often have many people watching each game waiting for tables to become available and this "3rd person judge" has evolved and has certainly made many games much much more relaxed because of it.

Hicks
28-11-2007, 21:35
I have never been refused a game, but I did refuse to play against 2 people. The first was a guy I had played once before and on our first game he threw a fit because his berzerkers were having a hard time beating my (then) Fleshtearers in CC. He was actually calling my death company dreadnought cheezy because his list had absolutly no antitank weapons and only his plasma pistols could hurt it. If you don't know what a DCD was, it's basically a furioso with the venerable special rule who HAD to charge as quickly as possible. That means the freaking thing is always waving it's arms in the middle of the board ready to be shot at!

The second guy I refused to "continue" to play against him. We started a game in wich his nids were almost all "count has" using pennies and coke cans. I swear his stuff would magically transform depending on what he needed.

dblaz3r
28-11-2007, 21:37
Playing games is just like dating. If you're going to pick up, expect that sometimes it'll result in your nuts getting itchy.

Brilliant:D

I havent yet turned anyone away but sometimes my brother does get awfuly annoying to play, but then whats a bit of sibling rivalry.

=Angel=
28-11-2007, 21:37
I've had an opponent ( a friend of mine and GW employee ) give up during a game once or twice, once it became apparent that i was going to win in a rather convincing manner, no matter what he did next.

One such incident was when i'd been blowing him away all game, he was playing an undivided khornate last chaos codex and i weas using black templars list.

He'd actually used some ilegal stuff, like Uber chosen with mark of khorne, all asp champ, deamonic speed (fleet) chain axes (choppas) and daemonic talons (rending)!
But in the spirit of fun, i allowed that.

I'd killed those with a rhino full of marines that drove up and unloaded good, honest rapid firing bolters into them.

Anyway, i had driven up with a crusader full of templars lead by a captain, chaplain and Emperors champion, ready to charge his Chaos lord and his bodyguard squad- only i misjudged distance and they were stuck there, ready to be charged in his turn.

He then fired something at the squad, and due to righteous zeal, combined with BT chaplain special rules, i was able to move the squad out of his charge range.

At this point (turn 2 or 3) he conceded that he could not win and just gave up.

In all likelihood there was probably no chance he was going to survive tht charge in my turn, and there was no way he was going to win the game.

All the same , it seeme a little unsportsman like to just quit.

Myself, I have never refused to play anybody, but i have played against guys in a tourney that i would hate to play against again- as the game was just not fun due to flagrant rules abuse/breaking and horrible models.

Ravenous
28-11-2007, 21:39
There are only 2 people I refuse to play.

One of them has no idea how the game works, and argues rules he makes up in his head. He has read the rules, and has been playing for 7+ years. So Im not sure if he is just brain damaged or a jerk, either way its not worth it because at the end of it I just want to beat him to death with the hardbound rulebook.

The other is a person that I wont play will bring up and exploit the obscure rules (unassaultable formation for example) mid game and start to argue rules that were agreed upon in the beginning. That and he is well known for stalling when he fits his need i.e set up and first 2 turns go by in 20minutes but then his turns 3 and 4 seem to take 30mins each. Oh, and he claims FAQs arent official until its been re-printed in codex form.

Long story short, I will play anyone, but if playing them is a chore, there is no point.

Shadowphrakt
28-11-2007, 21:41
I had a player walk out before the battle had even started. One of the GW rules was all models must be at least undercoated. He had 3 models un-undercoated, and threw a strop and refused to play. He still outnumbered my easterlings 2:1.
I have only once walked out of a game. A guard player had fielded an illegal list, had 200pts extra, was really argumentative, and was re-rolling basically every dice. Oh and using equipment which wasn't on his list, and giving troops doctrines which weren't on his army list. He also refused to believe that i could give my tactical squad tank hunters. I ended up giving up and painting instead.

L192837465
28-11-2007, 21:42
if i don't like someone or like their army, i won't play them. i've denied people on several occasions, and really don't give a damn if people think i'm an ******* for it. i play for fun. if its not going to be fun, i'm not gonna play.

Zerosoul
28-11-2007, 21:48
I wouldn't ever refuse to play a person since this is supposed to be a fun game. I would merely avoid playing that person or try to get the gaming group to change his ways.

What? Man, you don't owe people games.

I've refused to play people. I do it all the time. Hell, I've wasted entire gaming nights(which are very rare and precious things to me) throwing around dice and pushing minis around with a friend's son because the only people to play with were jerks(and the kid needed some attention). You don't have to be a total git when it comes to refusing a game - a gentle "No thanks, I'm waiting for a friend" is just as effective, if not more effective, than "no, you're a jerk/I hate your army/rot in hell". This is a game and my fun is important too. If I don't look like I'll enjoy a game - which has nothing to do with winning or losing - then to hell with it.

kishvier
28-11-2007, 21:51
I refuse people who just act stupid. Guys who play tournaments and say "oh that chain sword is really a lightning claw" and who take an extra 50 points and make up crap.

Ordo Ouroboros
28-11-2007, 21:56
Win or loose I play to enjoy the game. If somebody is just out to win win win, then where is the fun?

Formarion
28-11-2007, 22:11
There is a guy I refuse to play at any game out of principle at my local GW. He comes into the store on a Saturday, wanders from table to table, laughing at players modelling skills/list build and then berates them on how "Tau suck, they can only shoot and even then SM are better" or any different ones for any army.

I was playing a game against my friend and I happen to own 2 old Rhinos. These rhinos have seen service for me since I started playing 3 years ago, and have unfortunately seen the poor side of my packaging and model building skills at the time. So they are missing the odd track here and there, or there is a gap between the front armour and the bottom of the Rhino. Anyways, he comes over, PICKS UP my Rhino while it's still in play, loudly laughs and asks if I built it in the dark. He then goes on to ask me if I knew how many mounted models he has in his LOTR force, while still holding my tank.

I said "I really couldn't care less, now go away please." Ever since, he gives me the odd nasty look, then asks if I want to play againist his Armoured Company list, or his Movie Marines list...or his all bow armed HE list for LOTR.

Other than that, I'll play against anyone so long as they aren't too much of an ass to speak to. I like a bit of banter during my games.

Micro
28-11-2007, 22:14
i never refused, but sometimes didn't enjoy the game. nevertheless, i would never refuse to play agains somebody, i don't think people should consider themselves to good to do such a thing. but there are certain types of people whom i try to avoid^^

however, some guys at a former hobby centre refused to play against me because they thought they couldn't win. they could have at least try though...

Xenocidal Maniac
28-11-2007, 22:19
Absolutely yes, I have refused. Not rudely, and I'll usually make up some BS excuse, but, I refuse nevertheless. There's a BA player at my LGS who is ultra-competetive and bends rules and is just generally unpleasant to play with. I won't game with him. There's another kid at the local Battle Bunker who fields a cheesy SAFH Marine army and just generally has a smug attitude, and I won't deal with him, either.

But other than that, I find most people are fun to play with.

Malorian
28-11-2007, 22:20
I have never refused to play. Even when I know I'll lose I still play.

I have had people refuse to play me: an ork player at the shop after a few weeks of losing refused to play against my mainly plaguebearer deamon bomb. I also had a guy refuse to play against my ogres.

Some people in my former gaming group refuse to play, saying they've played each other too much.

zendral
28-11-2007, 22:30
Yup, I have done it once, and I would never ever play that guy again. I remember it still....

It was a lovely saturday evening. A local tournament was just about to start. I was first to be anounced in the pairings.....my thousand sons vs. dark angels. Hmm...sounds fun. Little did I know that I would be facing the uber pot-head of doomy doom player of dumb.
The guy deployed his army...ok...wait a sec..is that a blood angels furioso dread? "yup" he says. Your playing dark angels right? "yup". Well....you can't mix units from different armies. "The book doesn't say I couldn't". *sigh*.... I proceeded to tell him he couldn't, but nothing would sink into that thick skull of his. It proceeded to go downhill from there, as he wanted to deepstrike his landraiders, and claim that my units must always be in base-to-base contact with there rhino transports because thats what he thought "dedicated transports" meant. It was about this time that his pot-infested body started to reek that particular smell of sh** in my general area.

My soul had cracked at that point....a khornate daemon found a way into my heart and I felt like breaking his neck.
Instead, the Tzeentch daemon told me to pack my things and go home. I wasn't going to talk to the tournament organizer because he was already having enough trouble (his first tourni and he didn't know what the hell he was doing, good guy tho :p)

grabula
28-11-2007, 22:34
I can't recall having ever walked away from a game but I certainly make the decision frequently to never play a particular player again, or ever. It's just as bad form in my opinion to walk out of a game as it is to bring the cheese that makes someone want to walk out.

catbarf
28-11-2007, 22:47

Can I sig that?

kishvier
28-11-2007, 22:54
There is a guy I refuse to play at any game out of principle at my local GW. He comes into the store on a Saturday, wanders from table to table, laughing at players modelling skills/list build and then berates them on how "Tau suck, they can only shoot and even then SM are better" or any different ones for any army.

Show him the "dynamic entry" pic on the funniest models thread. Really, who does suck in close combat now???:D

Bunnahabhain
28-11-2007, 23:02
Once or twice I're refused games, genarally against very competitive and boring lists when I'm not in the mood.

It's one thing going in knowing you've got a slim chance of winning, it's quite another going in with minimal expectaition of winning, or even having an enjoyable game ,as they rub in the fact that they've got 17 assualt cannons, and you've got mortars...

Kasonic
28-11-2007, 23:04
Once, about two weeks ago I wanted to try out the new Orks at 500 points. So my friend plops down a 500 point Armored Company of 3 Russes versus my Boyz with 2 whole Power Klaws. No thanks.

Although he led me redo my army list and I came back with 2 Dreads, 6 Kans and 2 Big Meks and thoroughly stomped him :evilgrin:

marv335
28-11-2007, 23:20
there are a few players I won't play in my local store.
one is an out and out powergamer who is just not fun to play against.
another has a poor understanding of the rules and argues over everything.
the last is a stoner with a very short attention span who has a habit of wandering off in the middle of a turn.

one of these three (last time I played him) said fancy putting your SM scout army against my new IG stormtroopers army?
I said Ok, sounds like fun.
he had 3 Leman russ, 2 min sizes stormtrooper squads in chimeras, and a command squad in a chimera
not a lot of fun.
Still managed a win though :D

TheOverlord
28-11-2007, 23:27
Well I technically refuse games on a regular basis at the place I frequent with the reason that I did not bring my army (which is true, I go there to paint mostly), though if I did I normally would avoid playing with the people I don't like, mostly with excuses :D

Sister_Sin
28-11-2007, 23:45
Yes I have. The player was obnoxious and known for cheating yet I played him once...and that was the most unpleasant game ever. Just from a gaming standpoint mind you, I won't get into his personal behavior. After that I refused to play him at all. Period.

That's the one and only time.

Sister Sin

Reaver83
28-11-2007, 23:54
i've never refused (except on time issues) but there are people i avoid, i just don't think it would be fun playing them.

Daigawn
29-11-2007, 00:04
there are a few players I won't play in my local store.
one is an out and out powergamer who is just not fun to play against.
another has a poor understanding of the rules and argues over everything.
the last is a stoner with a very short attention span who has a habit of wandering off in the middle of a turn.

Speaking as a stoner, and as one who doesnt abuse the rules, hell i read and reread my codexes almost every day just so i make sure im not missing something or doing something wrong. As far as wandering off, well with us stoners that does tend to happen, though i only do it when my oponents phases are taking foooreeever, case in point, my first apoc game, my allied opponents shooting phase took almost a hour! i mean comooon! Its not easy to stay sooo interested in what theyre shooting at, i usually just go out for a cig when that happens then THEY can come to ME outside with hanfulls of dice and i can roll them on the nearest large hard surface, but thats just me, i know alof of other people wouldnt tolerate that, well tuff for you.

max the dog
29-11-2007, 00:10
I've never actually refused to play a person but I've refused to allow them certain things. I can accept a few stands in models but large scale use of "counts as" figures is just plain wrong. I also won't play any experienced player with no painted figures. I'll accept that out of a newbie but not a guy who's been playing for 6 years and only has a few models with primer on them. I also won't play a person who wants to use an outdated codex or rules. I also won't accept custom rules or rules they found on the internet.
Aside from that I'll play vrs anything, forgeworld or VDR.

Commanderxenos
29-11-2007, 00:12
I once played this kid that was playing what he said was a space wolf army.. he had a baal predator.. so my mission was to take it out before it was actually used.. and I did too.. and eventually he said he forgot about some scouts.. and had them pop up out of no where.. litterally.. he never placed them on the board until then.. I didnt/dont know all the space wolf rules.. so I let that slide.. I still wiped him off the table... but I didnt refuse him..

although there was this dark eldar player in my area that had a supposedly unbeatable list.. with a lord.. that was impossible to kill.. I never refused him.. I just never got to play him.. but if I ever would have been asked.. I wouldnt know what to do.. it would have been scary..

marv335
29-11-2007, 00:15
Speaking as a stoner, and as one who doesnt abuse the rules, hell i read and reread my codexes almost every day just so i make sure im not missing something or doing something wrong. As far as wandering off, well with us stoners that does tend to happen, though i only do it when my oponents phases are taking foooreeever, case in point, my first apoc game, my allied opponents shooting phase took almost a hour! i mean comooon! Its not easy to stay sooo interested in what theyre shooting at, i usually just go out for a cig when that happens then THEY can come to ME outside with hanfulls of dice and i can roll them on the nearest large hard surface, but thats just me, i know alof of other people wouldnt tolerate that, well tuff for you.

Fair enough, the stoner in question tends to wander off to the local supermarket.
outside for a quick cig I can understand, other end of the shop to say hello to a mate, no problem.
wandering off to get munchies in the middle of a game is not ok.

Warboss Jhura Ironfang
29-11-2007, 00:29
I've refused to play against people who plop a Defiler down on the board and say "that's my Chaos Lord".

Oh, and the time I faced a guy who had a Anti-MEQ Space Elf army designed just to fight me. I HATE brighlances, starcannons, and three dirty Wraithlords. Thank god for a Vindicare to take out Eldrad first turn :evilgrin: though.

I've been refused games because I play Ogres, O&G, and Space Wolves. Nobody wanted to fight those armies even though I am one of the most lenient players at my club. I'll allow Titans as a HS choice if I can take a couple extra slots in most games.

P.S.-

Cthulhu would eat our souls and take back the earth for himself. That's why I'm for Dagon. He just wants to flood the planet, which I can live with.

Cheerz,
WB Ironfang

Mott
29-11-2007, 00:34
I have refused to play

People with illegal armies

A guy with broken armies (I mean this guy had like peices of each model thats it!!)

People who use proxies... As in blank bases or... too my horror army men!

ankara halla
29-11-2007, 00:37
As far as I can recall, I've never refused to play an opponent. More than anything, I've been happy to play anyone who've asked me.

Having said that, in all of the tournaments I've ever been to, in one, there was a kid with his 4th ed. Eldar, who was according to everyone who played against him, just a pain in the bottocks. Whiny, uncooperative, challenging to every move/rule made against him, etc. etc..

These people he played against were among my friends, but having said all that, I'd still have liked to have played him just for the experience. Might be I wouldn't have liked to play against him again, but now I'll never know.

chromedog
29-11-2007, 00:42
I think you're missing the point of this thread - He's asking if you've ACTUALLY refused to play someone or vice versa.

As for me- nope

In that case, count me as a YES. I have in fact done what I've said.

I stopped the game mid-turn (his), packed up my stuff and (after bidding fare-thee-well to the two redshirts in the shop who weren't gits) went to snother store down the road (indy retailer). That store had turfed cheatimus Maximus out on his ... ear a week earlier, it turned out.

We have a couple of cheats like that in my club. It's the only club in the area, so when THEY ask me for a game, I just tell them "NO".

I'm all for trying to teach noobs how to play, but they have to WANT to LEARN.

zeep
29-11-2007, 00:49
If you have a good personality, I dont care if you put down pennies as you announce "this is my tactical squad", Painted, base coated hell even primer or flat metal and plastic is good.

But on that note, Ive turned down and left games from people with the personality of an eel.

The simple fact is that we get a limited amount of time to spend on secondary hobbies like this... I really don't want to use it playing a game against a twit or rules lawyer. I should not be in a game wondering if I still have time to mow my lawn.

Skyth
29-11-2007, 00:49
I had a git refuse to play me in an escallation league. We were assigned 10 games to play, but since I had an advantage in points, and he didn't have enough territories to raid, he refused to play me.

knighthawke70
29-11-2007, 00:52
have i ever been refused? - no

have i ever refused an opponent? -no

however in my club there is one who comes occasionally with an army list that he has no knowledge how to play plus he cheats like no tomorrow. fortuantly the guy who owns the store knows i will not play him as well as several others who do not want him around at all.

Getifa Ubazza
29-11-2007, 02:03
I walked away in the middle of a game once. The guy kept on leaving the table to watch his mates game. It was really annoying. I was fine with him doing it a few times, but he did it everytime he finished his turn.

PotatoLegs
29-11-2007, 02:07
I also won't play any experienced player with no painted figures. I'll accept that out of a newbie but not a guy who's been playing for 6 years and only has a few models with primer on them.

Dude, that's pretty rude - though I agree that painting and modelling is an integral part of the hobby and I prefer to use only painted models, sometimes its just not to people's tastes, and they'd rather just game and own the models. Some people just don't want to paint, and I can't see how you can hold that against them

Sergeant Vaathan
29-11-2007, 02:21
I've only refused a guy once. He was probably around 10 or 11 years old and I watched him play a game with someone else. He argued with the other guy every time he thought it was unfair (aka: any time some of his models were killed). I just have a thing against snot-nosed whiny kids...

MuttMan
29-11-2007, 03:16
I think anyone in the right of mind can always pull the excuse "Im waiting to play someone else, or I've been waiting to ask a guy to play" when a kid comes up to ask you for a game.

Just dont be a jerk to kids. Some kids I've played (and no kidding here) had an IQ of 140 (only half a million have above that) that played me and beat me pretty good. I honestly thought he was an undergrown 20 year old. However when he showed me his barney bracelet, after the game I asked his age. I wish I didnt ask.

Lacondog
29-11-2007, 05:51
I know a guy who gets really frustrated while playing. On a couple occasions he launches his dice across the room or into the table with extreme prejudice! Not that I'm afraid of serious injury the prospect of getting accidentally smacked with a six-sider doesn’t sound good.
Needless to say he is the only one I've refused to play. Poor attitudes don't make for a good game.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
29-11-2007, 06:31
I'm glad that this topic came up... I see that I'm actually not a huge SOB for having refused to play before.

I won't - as a rule - play experienced gamers with unpainted models. Nor will I play experienced people at my club who want to use an Epic Eldar Titan as a Eldar Warlord, Tamiya WWII models as Chimeras, chess pieces / rocks / coins as models, etc. No - it does not "count as". If they pull them out, I ask how long they have been playing - and if it's over 5 years I expect better. I won't play people who use the word cheese or beard in order to compensate that they are not as prepared to game as they had thought or are PO'd because they just lost to someone with a better army. Used jokingly, of course - the words don't bother me at all... I enjoy a little trash talk while I game.

If someone has a reputation as a cheat - I give them a chance... and if they try and cheat me, then we're done. I wouldn't play a stoner, either - especially not one who was happy to admit it.

With kids, though - I love playing them and teaching them how to play. I don't expect them to have table-ready armies or to know all of the rules or to be Golden Demon winners. As long as they want to learn and are positive about it - it's all good... which is why I started a league at the school where I teach. There - "counts-as" is fine, and as long as the models are assembled... we're all good. Things come in stages.

I have had people refuse to play me before, but it was not because of attitude but simply because of my old Dwarfs army - oh, no... "that's too beardy". Come on. If you're there for the game, win or lose - it will never matter what legal stuff your opponent puts down - you can have fun. Stop using strange words to compensate for your own issues.

Omniassiah
29-11-2007, 06:31
I've never been refused to be played against.. at least not to my face. I have blatently refused to play a couple people.

AS a tournament coordinator I do accept requests to not play against certain people in a tournament(mostly "I came with these 3 guys and we play every other day against each other stuff"). That said I have had a Few times where I had a large percentage of players not want to play against a certain person or persons... like 20 out of 24 people and 3 of the guys didn't know the people yet)

big squig
29-11-2007, 06:41
And here I was expecting a discussion about refused flanks. :p

I've never refused a person based off their army...only their personality.

bosstroll
29-11-2007, 07:16
I only walked away from a table once. Waaaaay back during the early days of 3rd ed., at my local indy store. Standard game, 12'' deployment zone. This guy plonks down a squad too far forward, i mention this, he moves em back to exactly 12", then he deploys his dreadnought right in front of them. To add to this, hit body odour is classified as chemical warfare.

TheNZer
29-11-2007, 07:39
I've got nothing against minor Proxying, amn i've even had to proxy at times (forgotten models haven't gotten down to the store for the new HW team for my list..ect)

At times just about everyone I know has proxyed we're Teenagers hsort on cash ocasionaly we need to proxy.

So yeah thanksfully i've never had to walk away froma game.

scratchbuilt
29-11-2007, 08:18
I had to refuse to play my regular opponent after a while. I couldn't figure out how to hobble my army enough so he wouldn't lose. I'm quiet good at tactics, and he just charges everything forward - charging his space wolves right into dreadnoughts, important characters right out in the open to get lascannoned etc. I just felt guilty after a while.

Basically I would say it's totally someone's right to refuse to play if they know they'll lose.
If you hate proxy's you'd hate my army. Basically I redesigned the model range, idiotic but I found it fun. Unfortunately I hate the new codex :_(

RexTalon
29-11-2007, 08:37
I've played against someone who made up his own rules for a wraithlord. He gave it and extra wound and an additional attack. He used it as his HQ and proceeded to fill up as many other choices as he could with wraithlords. I agreed that he could do this, so I guess it was one of those friendly games where the rules get bent from time to time. We rolled for a mission and came up with take and hold with me starting on the objective. (this was 3ed IIRC)

I defeated him easily, but someone came up to me afterward and said I shouldn't have played him because he was making up his rules.

I don't really see the point in NOT playing someone because they want to make something up. Especially if it's within reason.

Granted, my opponent didn't pay any extra points for his beefed up wraithlord, but what the heck, I wasn't going to let that stop me from playing.

Sekhmet
29-11-2007, 08:38
I play Necrons. I'm no stranger to refusal.

I only refuse to play one guy, because he's a/an (insert explicative here) and he cheats.

Vanger
29-11-2007, 09:22
Hm... I only refused two people. First guy I refused (not only me, a bunch of other people too from my club), I got fed up with his constant cheating and that he talks constantly about anything offtopic.
The other was a kid 14 years or so. A little smar@$$ and nerv killing. I only seen him play others. I knew that he is a rules lawyer (or tries to be) but does not know any rule right, talks too much, and thinks that he is the most brilliant. When he wanted to game me I blatantly refused the kid.

As you can see, I only refuse idiots.

the1stpip
29-11-2007, 10:01
I have once refused to play one bloke, quite recently.

I did it in the best possible way though. He had a new AdMech army, but at 1500 pts he used two FOCs, one for Guard and one for sisters. He had 4 troops, 3 basilisks and 3 Exorcists.

Going up against this with my Dark Eldar would have been a lesson in futility, so I said, no, sorry, but it is pointless. I also told him, if he fielded the army using one FOC, I would willingly play him.

The following week, he did as I had asked, I played him, and kicked his ass.

On a slightly different note, I went to the WPS Club Challenge last year with my DE, and in the thrid round played Christian Byrne of WD fame. It seemed that he had been drinking a fair bit before hands, and after turn three, he was getting so heavily battered, he gave up, packed his stuff away, and then marked me down on sportsmanship..!

Serpent
29-11-2007, 10:57
I've never refused to play someone, but I do avoid players at my club I which know aren't fun to play against. Why waste three hours getting whined to while the opposing army still slaughters yours, without breaking a sweat?

In a tournament I'd never refuse to play anyone. But I'd go into the game with a lot of "extreme prejudice" if I knew the opponent had a habit of cheating/whining while still winning/being unsportsmanlike, etc...

Darnok
29-11-2007, 11:11
Back in the days when I played instore, I can't remember I ever refused somebody. However, I didn't play that often even then, and usually I knew the people beforehand, and so knew what to expect.

These days I only play at home, or at a friends home, with people I know for some time, and who share my point of view on the games: play for fun, and play relaxed. For each of us it is a hobby to fill our spare time with, so we all expect it to be enjoyable. Of course I don't refuse to play them.

Damocles8
29-11-2007, 11:49
I was refused play because I had a mechanized guard army with me.....

infernus31
29-11-2007, 12:23
I dont recall ever refusing to play anyone out of hand, sometimes I've expressed oubts that it might not be a good game because tis too one sided or something, but nonetheless given it a go. I think in general people are aware after playing soemthing once whether you would want to play it again.

The only real bad gamers I can remember really are both from the same GW doing a WHFB tournament and a 40K tournament, the WHFB was a real jerk playing a power gaming list that someone had written for him, and when he wasnt trying to crush all, he would critique our armies on how badly they were apparantly painted and constructed.

In the 40K one it was more a case that the guy obviously hadnt got to grip with the tau codex, and was just playing it as he thought was correct even when I told him otherwise or queried it in some cases - such as incorrect stats and incorrect upgrades, and blatant ignoring of how terrain blocked Los (sadly the tournament organiser didnt care and wouldnt assist me so to prevent an arguement I just get on with it)

slasher
29-11-2007, 12:40
Have I left a game mid-game = Yes, because I ran out of time.... had to go.
Refused some one. = no * see below
been refused a game = no * see below

*turned down a game when some one is asking around a games night/ club to see who hasn't played to see who is next 'up' on a table.

Grindgodgrind
29-11-2007, 12:49
I've never refused, or been refused, but there's always room for that to change, depending on who I play against.

Even the most annoying, rule-bending kid in my local store is actually getting to grasp with things.

jfrazell
29-11-2007, 14:00
I'm glad that this topic came up... I see that I'm actually not a huge SOB for having refused to play before.

I won't - as a rule - play experienced gamers with unpainted models. Nor will I play experienced people at my club who want to use an Epic Eldar Titan as a Eldar Warlord, Tamiya WWII models as Chimeras, chess pieces / rocks / coins as models, etc. No - it does not "count as". If they pull them out, I ask how long they have been playing - and if it's over 5 years I expect better. I won't play people who use the word cheese or beard in order to compensate that they are not as prepared to game as they had thought or are PO'd because they just lost to someone with a better army. Used jokingly, of course - the words don't bother me at all... I enjoy a little trash talk while I game.

You do realize Epic Eldar Titans are exquisite and make great wraithlords right?

So you'd have a problem with my Leman russ conversions then. Would probably drive you insane to play against my all converted demonworld army. It would be your loss.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
29-11-2007, 14:25
jfrazell - only if I didn't know you. If you were one of my long-time gamer bros, we'd be good. I didn't really clarify that.

See, now I feel like an SOB again.

Brother Loki
29-11-2007, 14:27
I won't - as a rule - play experienced gamers with unpainted models. Nor will I play experienced people at my club who want to use an Epic Eldar Titan as a Eldar Warlord, Tamiya WWII models as Chimeras...

Any particular reason why not? The eldar titans look pretty similar to the new wraithlord models, and seem like a great substitute to me. Lots of people prefer to use real world tank kits, or even scratch built models as counts-as IG vehicles - what's wrong with that? It's an accepted part of the hobby. It seems a bit heavy handed to refuse on those grounds.

Never refused or been refused to my knowledge, and I can't imagine I ever would, unless I knew I was going to have to leave shortly or something.

Captain Brown
29-11-2007, 14:31
I have once had a group of two players refuse to fight my Imperial Guard in Rogue Trader days.

This was because back then you could basically equip your troops with almost anything (before Army Lists - just the 'buy-what-you-want' of the original book).

Several of my fellow players had designed lists of Orks flying on Powerboards (which meant due to their speed they were almost impossible to hit) armed with two Plasma Pistols so they could zoom across the battlefield into range and fire one of their two pistols a turn (back then there was a recharge time).

After several games of them destroying entire armies with the loss of only a handful of Orks I armed my Guardsmen with Gravaton Guns which ignored their impossible to hit modifiers and killed their movement...next battle the Orks all died and the players refused to play my Gravaton armed Guardsmen again...

CB

Chaos and Evil
29-11-2007, 14:43
I've declined to play against opponents sometimes.

Basically, because I knew up front that the game wasn't going to be any fun, because the opponent was... a silly person.

pookie
29-11-2007, 14:47
eldar titans as wraith lords.... they aint even similar in size! dont get me wrong i love the eldar titan models, but i wouldnt be too impressed if someone tried passing one off as a wraith lord!

Agrip. Varenus Denter
29-11-2007, 14:49
Any particular reason why not? The eldar titans look pretty similar to the new wraithlord models, and seem like a great substitute to me. Lots of people prefer to use real world tank kits, or even scratch built models as counts-as IG vehicles - what's wrong with that? It's an accepted part of the hobby. It seems a bit heavy handed to refuse on those grounds.

OK... and this is just me - after years of earning my own money, spending some of it on Citadel stuff, spending time assembling it, spending time painting it, and learning how to game with it I get a tad annoyed if someone doesn't want to put the same effort into it that I did. If someone else is cool with it, though, I won't berate them for it.

Now I feel like a jerk even bringing it up. :(

Kaaijer
29-11-2007, 15:07

I did it in the best possible way though. He had a new AdMech army, but at 1500 pts he used two FOCs, one for Guard and one for sisters. He had 4 troops, 3 basilisks and 3 Exorcists.

Going up against this with my Dark Eldar would have been a lesson in futility, so I said, no, sorry, but it is pointless. I also told him, if he fielded the army using one FOC, I would willingly play him.

Am I the only one to find this attitude ludicrous?

"I won't play against your current army, next time bring something that'll ensure an easy win for me, then we'll talk."

reds8n
29-11-2007, 15:13
I've only had to turn someone down once.

He, and believe me it's worse than it sounds, has some kind of dinosaur/crocodile hand puppet which he talks to throughout the game, and he'll interrupt you if you speak claiming "Mr.Tooth" doesn't agree. One time another player jokingly tried to stroke the damn thing and he totally flipped out and started ranting and literally screaming.

Frankly I think the guy needs serious help.

Angelwing
29-11-2007, 15:14
I've passed on offers of games because I was waiting for a pre arranged opponent to turn up, and been refused for the same reason, but thats no problem.
I refuse to play two certain individuals at my local haunt because they have a deserved reputation for cheating. I played them once each, but never again!
I haven't walked out in the middle of a game though. I will call a game early if we both agree there is isn't any point going on. This way we can fit more games in!

Captain Micha
29-11-2007, 15:19
Mr tooth? Jeez that's scary man. You should call your local mental hospital and have them lie in wait for him.

Thoth62
29-11-2007, 15:20
I also won't play any experienced player with no painted figures. I'll accept that out of a newbie but not a guy who's been playing for 6 years and only has a few models with primer on them. I also won't play a person who wants to use an outdated codex or rules. I also won't accept custom rules or rules they found on the internet.
Aside from that I'll play vrs anything, forgeworld or VDR.

What if someone who's been playing for years just wants to try out a new army? I'm in that boat. I've been playing for 7 years, and I still buy new models and units that I want to try. They don't come painted, and occasionally I'll break them out on the table primed but unpainted. What's wrong with that?

So you'll accept VDR but not rules found on the internet... Last I checked, just about the only place you could find VDR is on the internet.

jfrazell - only if I didn't know you. If you were one of my long-time gamer bros, we'd be good. I didn't really clarify that.

See, now I feel like an SOB again.

I fail to see what the difference is. Someone you know vs. someone you don't. Their armies are the same. Heck, maybe even their playing histories are the same. You'll refuse to play one on the basis that you don't know him? That confuses me.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question. Yes. I have have refused to play people. Yes, I have walked away in the middle of the game.

I don't mind a little bit of trash talking, but when someone is doing their absolute best to make my game miserable, I won't stick around. I'm at the point in the hobby, and with the people who usually show up at the store that just about everybody wants to play me. It may be because I win most of my games, it may be something else. I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. The point I'm trying to make, is that there are, on any given night, a good solid number of people who would like to have a game with me. And most of them want to have a good, fun game. If you're treating me like crap, and I'm not having any fun because of it, I have no problems finding someone who I can have fun playing. I've done it once or twice before, and I'll guaruntee that I'd likely do it again.

There is also one specific player that I have refused to play. Generally when I talk to him, he treats me like an idiot. He berates me for my choice in colours for my army, he berates me for the fluff and background that I come up with for my armies. Just the other day, I was nearing the end of a game with a friend, when he walked up. He made a comment about how he rarely sees my army lose. And then he says that he'll change that. Normally, I don't have a problem with that. But when our personalities already grate the way they do, and when he says it like it's a forgone conclusion because he's 'all that', and I'm a terrible player, it bugs me.

He plays tyranids, and basically said that to upgrade to the points that I usually play at, he'd buy a bunch of genestealers. Of course, I'm busy talking to my opponent at the time. In the end, he went out and upgraded his army, and told me he was going to kick my butt, and proceeded to start pulling his army out. I started walking away, and he asked where I was going. I told him, and he got upset because he had just assumed that we were having a game, without actually asking me. When he asked why I didn't want to play him, I told him the truth. I'd rather play a game and have fun, than play a game against someone who pisses me off as much as he does. I want to enjoy myself, and I won't be doing that against him.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I'll generally only refuse a game, or walk away based on the person on the other side of the table. Painted or unpainted armies don't bother me. People who don't really know the rules don't bother me. It's the personality, and how I get along with that person that determines whether I'll play you or not.

LawrencePhillips
29-11-2007, 15:21
My mom asked me to follow her into my room and that's when she took a ziplock back full of flock out of my wardrobe and yelled at me "Care to explain to me what this stuff is young man?"

I once brought a girl back to my place and she must have had a little poke about and found a similar re-sealable bag which could easily have been mistaken for something else. She did a runner, but left it on the table. I didn't know what would be worse to tell a girl i'd just met; "I'm a coke head" or "I play with little toy soliders". For the record, I didn't call her back (I know, I'm a coward)

I regularly been turned down for games either becasue the other person doesn't think he has a reasonable chance of winning or becasue they don't like the composition of my armies.

I freely admit to playing competivitly, I do like to win, but loosing is important as you learn from mistakes.

I find it most helpful when turned down because of my army choices that the other person say (politely); "I don't want to play you becasue it doesn't look very fun. I think unit x is a bit over the top". That way I can tone it down a bit.

I myself have said that to people too, but if you play them anyway and they win, they have no incentive to take your advice and likely will see it as a reason to keep playing unbalenced lists.

Blarp
29-11-2007, 15:27
That's never really happened to me. Most people I have played are very helpful, or at least courteous. This one guy helped me on my strategy for 15 mins after he had won! :eyebrows:

There is this one kid who's nice and all but is afraid to paint (and in some cases glue) his models because he's afraid he will botch them. He thinks that normal marine backpacks are jump packs (and wonders where you get space marines without jump packs). Plus, he thinks that just anyone can take anything they want from the armory, doesn't get the FOC, etc. But he's still fun to play with -- you just have to explain the same rule to him four times in the course of a kill team.;)

Fixer
29-11-2007, 15:28
Back in third edition in a GW store. Tau player endlessly argued that his thin line of stealthsuits meant I could not shoot his entire army behind them (despite the FAQ). Also, that the entire table counted as difficult terrain but didn't grant any cover saves as it was 'slighlty rocky'.

Also. I was playing a non mechanised Salamander marine force. No assault. Yeah... no thanks.

After too many wasted minutes or arguing I shook his hand, said 'congratulations' and went to play a game against a friend.

He looked smug for a while, until he realised no-one else was going to play against him and his 'unbeatable army'. So he just sat in a corner for serveral hours like a spoiled brat that didn't get the toys he wanted for Christmas.

pookie
29-11-2007, 15:31

He, and believe me it's worse than it sounds, has some kind of dinosaur/crocodile hand puppet which he talks to throughout the game, and he'll interrupt you if you speak claiming "Mr.Tooth" doesn't agree. One time another player jokingly tried to stroke the damn thing and he totally flipped out and started ranting and literally screaming.

i thnk your being quite polite - he deffinatly needs some help!

reds8n
29-11-2007, 15:34
Mr tooth? Jeez that's scary man. You should call your local mental hospital and have them lie in wait for him.

We've given it serious thought. He's about 4 foot 9", bucj toothed to hell and back, with a set of NHS specs that have lenses thicker than your middle finger. Oh, and he limps.

We keep asking the local manager to ban him, but they're in kind of a tricky situation as his mother* wrote their boss a letter saying how great it was that they include him and always make him feel welcome. Catch 22 I guess.:angel:

* He's about 30ish, and, I'll shock you here, still lives at home.Other interests include trains and pokemon.;)

Galatan
29-11-2007, 15:43
I've refused games several times, especially against 1 person. Nobody really liked him since he was very irritating and when I first played against him he refused to tell me his name (while I properly introduced myself) and I had to call him rebock (the sportsbrand on his sweater) for the rest of the game. In the end I found out his name via another person who told me a few hours later. And all the other games I refused we're mainly because I either wanted to paint or rest after a couple of other games and those people always understood and accepted it, since I said they could play against me next time.

As for being refused.....never really except when the person didn't really feel like playing and would then paint instead.

visgoth
29-11-2007, 16:25
I sort of refused to play a guy once. Just moments before I'd watched him throw a childish fit when he lost to someone else. Yelling, kicking the leg of the table, foul language, and similar carrying on. It was in an unofficial tournament at a local gaming shop. The guy scheduled to play him next told the guy running it he'd rather take a loss than play such a poor sport. A few of us chimed in that we agreed, and the organizers decided to disqualify the guy for poor sportsmanship. I wasn't up against him, but might have been in a later round.

The guy threw another fit when they told him to leave, and the shop owner told him to get out or they would call the police. The guy was babbling some crap about sueing the shop owner as he left, but as far as I know he never actually tried to.

Pretty over-the top behavior for a guy who had to be in his late 30s or early 40s...

So I didn't technically refuse to play him, but I did state to the tournament organizers my intent to refuse if we were matched against each other.

BigBadBull
29-11-2007, 16:42
I had one guy refuse to let me use my FW tau battle suits ( I asked before we started)
and in the game he busts out 3 dreadclaws. He then tells me that they are droppods and he can still use them. I asked him to kindy to show me them in the Chaos codex... guess what he could not.

In another game with the smae player ( I guess I did not learn the first time) he was playing Black Temp drop army ( he did not have real drop pods but I did not care). He broke out some rules on how the pods would not deviate or what not. He likes making creative new rules in the middle of the game too. So I don't play him any more.

I have been refused several games due to people not wanting to play against a Death wing / raven wing army of nothing but termies and bikes... ( and I suck with marines, bad!). There are groups of guys that won't play me cause I play for fun and fluff, and not always the win..

I have seen some guys ( not at Gw stores) refuse to play people ( new players at that) that are not fully painted and flocked w/ 3 different colors and primer does ot count.
Kinda lame but a rule no less

Grazzy
29-11-2007, 17:04
That mr tooth thing is insane!

Ive never refused/been refused because i play with people who dont use those sort of lists or exploit the ridiculous loopholes.

Rikens
29-11-2007, 17:09
Can I sig that? Of course.

Imperialis_Dominatus
29-11-2007, 17:32
What? Man, you don't owe people games.

Good point, and what I think too.

You don't have to be a total git when it comes to refusing a game - a gentle "No thanks, I'm waiting for a friend" is just as effective, if not more effective, than "no, you're a jerk/I hate your army/rot in hell". This is a game and my fun is important too. If I don't look like I'll enjoy a game - which has nothing to do with winning or losing - then to hell with it.

Yeah..... but, as I've said before on other topics, which gives me greater job satisfaction?

I was refused play because I had a mechanized guard army with me.....

....:eyebrows:

Bunnahabhain
29-11-2007, 18:11
We've given it serious thought. He's about 4 foot 9", bucj toothed to hell and back, with a set of NHS specs that have lenses thicker than your middle finger. Oh, and he limps.

We keep asking the local manager to ban him, but they're in kind of a tricky situation as his mother* wrote their boss a letter saying how great it was that they include him and always make him feel welcome. Catch 22 I guess.:angel:

* He's about 30ish, and, I'll shock you here, still lives at home.Other interests include trains and pokemon.;)

Thankfully we don't have anyone like that in the local gaming groups, but I have in the dance group. She's got signifiacnt physical and mental problems, which mean she can't move very fast, or remember what she's supposed to be doing next, and reacts violently if anyone touches her. These mean she tends to stop the other 7 people in the set from enjoying themselves at all.

Standard human tolerance, official diversity policies, and everything else be d******. There is a limit to how patient and reasonable we can be. GO AWAY!

EmperorEternalXIX
29-11-2007, 18:12
I once played with a friend of mine in a doubles tourney. We faced an interesting team: two guys who had never met but both had entire guard armies painted exactly the same ultramarine scheme. One was Inquisition with inducted guard out the wazoo, the other was straight mech guard.

I was Dark Angels (aka the Gimp Angels) and my friend was gunline Tau.

Against a wall of blue tanks, and equipped with only one railhead and footslogging powerfists for anti tank (fatal flaw of our list ... we were geared for anti-infantry)...we could do pretty much nothing.

There was no way we would even have been able to successfully destroy even one quarter of the army, particularly since deployment and weird rules allowed them to unleash hell all over our lone railhead.

However, we still fought. We even jokingly talked about how my marines were banging on the doors of the chimeras, demanding the guardsmen surrender. Since I was DA my whole army had krak grenades so we were trying to work around the rears of tanks. It was extraordinarily difficult, but we managed to take out a few and then use them as cover to make a stand after a few lucky pens had caused some inq. stormtroopers to get pinned.

Though we had no hope of winning, we continued the fight and had a pretty fun time of it. You'd be surprised how much fun the game can be when you don't even entertain the thought of winning and just do crazy things.

We eventually got the sportsmanship award for the tournament because of this.

That being said I've yet to refuse a game because it was unwinnable. At that point it becomes all about the "moral victory" for me, heh.

Wolflord Havoc
29-11-2007, 18:15
I have not - although I recently told one of my mates not to take bouncing Swooping Hawks if he can't use them correctly.

An ex-freind of mine, henceforth refered to as Mulloc was playing his orks vs this chaps IG. This goes back several year BTW probably late 90s.

The IG player had formed his gunline as far back as he could get (24" plus away from the orks). Mulloc in his turn 3 declared a charge against the IG players gun line. Do the Math.

The IG player pointed out that he had setup over 24" away and that it would be impossible for the Orks (who were on foot) to have advanced as far as they had 'unless' they had been moved too far.

Mulloc measured the distance and agreed that he must have made a mistake...and then proceeded to move his chargers into combat...at which point the IG player calmly asked him why he was charging if he agreed that they had been moved to far...to which Mulloc replied "Well its too late now I've moved them" The IG Gentleman nodded sagely thought for a few seconds and then held out his hand - Mulloc slightly confused shook it and the IG Gentleman said....

"As you seem to have a much greater tactical grasp of the game then I could ever hope to do, I have no choice but to concede to your tactical brilliance and give up, congratulations on a game well played"

...and then started to pack away his Guardsmen, leman russ MBTs etc....and left the store with out another word.

The saddest thing of all though is that Mulloc despite being a man in his late 30s at the time, just didn't get it and a contented smile of victory slowly spread across his face.

Fool

dark-hamish
29-11-2007, 18:44
I only pack up/refuse to play those who question every single thing I do, or play in a shifty way. For example, my rw bikers moved 12, double tap then assaulted 4" into his squad. He questioned the move (you can't move that far), the shooting (you can't move/shoot), the assaualt (you can't shoot/assault) and the "litanies of hate" that my biker chaplin brings to the sqaud (you can't re roll misses) He continued to debate even after a judges ruling, and being shown the bbb section on bikes. As to "shifty" I refer to those who roll so fast, or in such a way as to make seeing their rolls impossible, or loosely measuring for moving or checking shooting range. Do these things to me and I will pack up and make sure everyone knows why. I've done it 7 times in 10 years. I'm not anal about that stuff either, let me see your rolls and I'll make sure you see mine. I also usually allow that 1/2 inch or so that you may be short for whatever. Tables get bumped, models move.... Even in tournament. But play "clean" ya know?

I will alway play rules lawyers and rule breakers though. I will simply lawyer/cheat right back in an effort to get them to contradict themselves, thus admitting they cheated or don't know what they are talking about. Don't insult my intelligence, by trying to pull a fast one with the rules, and I won't try to make you look stupid.

As to the rest.... Painted, unpainted, cheesy, beardy, counts as.. whatever. As long as the game starts with a handshake and ends with 2 smiles.

Damore
29-11-2007, 18:47
I have refused to play a game because my opponents wanted to change the rules for one of the missions to work in their favor. I packed up my army and left.

Corrupt
29-11-2007, 19:12
Generally as to "being unable to win" at our local if a game is clearly over super soon (turn 3 or earlier) the loser will say "wanna call it a victory?" and await a response.
If both are happy with the loss, they find new partners and continue on, if not you play to the bitter end.
Often the new partner means redeploy and try again :)

Lord_Squinty
29-11-2007, 20:41
Originally Posted by the1stpip

"I won't play against your current army, next time bring something that'll ensure an easy win for me, then we'll talk."

Probably - you realise that more than one FOC is only for more than 2500pts with agreed opponents permission as to how many you may use? BGB pge 78.
I also wouldnt allow an opponent to use 2 at 1500pts just so they could max out heavy support options.
The only ludicrous thing in that post is 3 bassies and 3 excorcists at 1500pts...

Rikens
29-11-2007, 20:46
You could have also asked him to play you in a scenario that would have put your Dark Eldar on an even footing. Three Basilisks are only a problem for Dark Eldar if they scenario lets them pot-shot away without retaliation (with is what Mandrakes, Scourges, and Dark Lances are for...).

TheOverlord
29-11-2007, 21:04
Exorcists are heavy support option right? I think that's what the poster was getting at, I think?

the1stpip
29-11-2007, 22:58

Why was it?

It would be over very quickly, while is army list wasn't illegal, it wasn't fair (you should only use one FOC at 1500 pts) and I knew I would not enjoy the game. So why should I play?

I was fair and polite, and offered a fair alternative, to which he agreed. I don't see where your problem is...

Imperialis_Dominatus
29-11-2007, 23:01
That being said I've yet to refuse a game because it was unwinnable. At that point it becomes all about the "moral victory" for me, heh.

Reminds me of an Apocalypse game we had recently. I and an IG player teamed up; my assaulty, fast CSM with his... Guard, what more do I need to say? Nice teamup. We were against some Tau and shooty SM... nasty matchup to begin with. The night before we'd set up the ground rules... two tables, 2000 points a person for a 4000 a side total.

They turned up the next day with 1500 points each... so we let a small army of Chaos and a Baneblade join up with them. Along with more Tau.

Bad idea. I took Strategic Redeployment and Blind Barrage to attempt to mitigate (in unision with smoke launchers) the terrible barrage of fire to come to meet my advance. I had an extra asset because they had another player. My ally held the fort in the back, covering my advance a bit, hanging out on the objectives. I held a Raptor squad and Termies in reserve; he had a Callidus Assassin with a Vortex Grenade.

Flank March got the Baneblade deep in our deployment zone, and I deployed my reserves accordingly. We managed to keep the main gun from firing a few times, but over the course of the turn, the thing wiped out too many units through virtue of massive firepower. By the time we finally destroyed it, I'd had to maneuver several under-strength squads with Meltaguns and powerfist Champs along with the four remaining Termies bashing away at it with powerfists just to finish it off.

Lesson: we should have had another player chip in with 500 points or gotten a superheavy of our own. When there's only 8000 total points on the board, and one side has a super-heavy, it's very difficult to win. But the destruction of the Baneblade served as a moral victory.

What really bit was that we were looking very good before it came in- the synchronization of my Assets and the synergy of our armies was proving effective against their shootyness, and I was hoping to wipe out their forward units and strategically redeploy the few units of mine that had stayed back and the slow Termies forward. But, sigh, didn't work.

"As you seem to have a much greater tactical grasp of the game then I could ever hope to do, I have no choice but to concede to your tactical brilliance and give up, congratulations on a game well played"

I've always wanted to spout some similar line in someone's face if I were faced with a cheesy list backed by a creative reading of the rules. Never had the opportunity though. The only game I've ever thought of calling, the guy wiped me off the board too quickly for that thought to coalesce in my mind... Ugh, gunline Guard against powergame Tzeentch with far too much cover in between. Turn four- bang, no more Guardsmen on the board.

Pooky
29-11-2007, 23:07
I usually like to play someone I've never met before. If I find out they are a lame gamer then I don't tend to play them again.

I have sometimes "turned down" a request for a game but I have never "refused" a game, if that makes sense. If not then this small screenplay may make more sense:

Random: "Hey, Pooky! Want a game?"
Pooky: "Nah, I'm good. Thanks anyway"
Random: "But there's no one else around and I want a game!"
Pooky: "Nah, I'm not in the mood atm"

In other words I wasn't so blunt as to tell the guy/ girl that I didn't want to play THEM as such...

Sekhmet
30-11-2007, 01:03
I usually like to play someone I've never met before. If I find out they are a lame gamer then I don't tend to play them again.

I have sometimes "turned down" a request for a game but I have never "refused" a game, if that makes sense. If not then this small screenplay may make more sense:

Random: "Hey, Pooky! Want a game?"
Pooky: "Nah, I'm good. Thanks anyway"
Random: "But there's no one else around and I want a game!"
Pooky: "Nah, I'm not in the mood atm"

In other words I wasn't so blunt as to tell the guy/ girl that I didn't want to play THEM as such...

In this case, turned down and refused are the same thing.

MoopMoop
30-11-2007, 01:53
In this case, turned down and refused are the same thing.

Are they? To use a "night out"-analogy: One scenario is like avoiding a seduction attempt because the person making a move on you looks like a trainwreck/overly inebriated/obnoxious. The other case is like turning them down because you have work in the morning.

Thylacine
30-11-2007, 02:11
Hi, my tale of woe.

I walked out of a tournament game, it was a doubles tournament and one of our opponents started an argument before the game started and it just snowballed on from there. We dropped a Land Speeder, so he took it off the base and put to the side in front of a Pred A which was going to shoot at a squad on a size 3 hill. The guy argued that the LS blocked all LoS to the hill from the Pred. To prove his point he sat the LS on its side, we still had LoS then he sat it on its tail, we still had LoS. We gave up and said that we would pick another target in range, then he said that we had already allocated a target for the Pred so the shot was lost.

Next turn, we target a Dread with a Vindicator, for some reason they placed 10 marines around the dreads base, touching the base. Not a problem as we use the Vindicator, we place the template, check the distance and roll to hit, it is a hit. No wait they want us to roll a D6 first to see if the shot is good, fine we roll a D6 and it is a 5. No wait he wants the scatter dice rolled again, we roll again and it is another hit.

Sweet, everything under the template is hit S10 AP2 the marines are dead and we have a penetrating shot on the Dread, roll for damage it is a 6. But no, we can either target the troops or the vehicle, I explain it is a template weapon and everything is hit equally. No they won't accept that. Fine we target the Dread, no we needed to take a priority test, no as it is a vehicle shooting at a vehicle. No take the test, I roll we make the test, now he wants us to start the process from the start.

NO, accept the shot, they do but only on the Dread, fine then the dread blows roll to see if you would your own troops 6" scatter, good, has to roll 10 dice, they all take woulds. Guy turns beet red, his team mate rolls to see if they pass, result they all die! They decide not to accept this and move the marines behind the hill, we are in the middle of turn 4, we say thanks for the game, it is not worth the hassle, pack up the gear and walk off for an early lunch.

After lunch the TO comes over to us and says that our opponents have caused trouble during lunch, complaints have been coming in all weekend about them and the TO's have awarded us a win, just a basic win.

Never played that guy again, now he seems to have dropped out of the game.

shakespear
30-11-2007, 03:46
There is a shop I dont play at anymore after a bad tourny experience.

Nobody had a rulebook except us out-of-towners..

dark-hamish
30-11-2007, 04:00
Thylacine, I can't believe you didn't call a judge for that whole bunch of crap. Obvious, well established rules should never be fooled with by fools who hate loosing. Standing your ground is not bad sportsmanship.

Imperialis_Dominatus
30-11-2007, 08:05
Thylacine, I can't believe you didn't call a judge for that whole bunch of crap. Obvious, well established rules should never be fooled with by fools who hate loosing. Standing your ground is not bad sportsmanship.

Agreed. I'd have packed up earlier than that if I'd called a judge and he/she'd not done anything.

Dammit,fallen to the PC Gods! Argh!

Anyway. Proceed.

silashand
30-11-2007, 08:35
I haven't refused to play anyone, but I have found convenient excuses not to do so against certain people, i.e. I didn't feel like playing at all that night, I made sure I'd arranged other games ahead of time, etc. It hasn't happened often, but every once in a while you run into someone who is just no fun to play against, kinda like the Tau player I know who starts cursing and throwing his models into a box when he's losing (which is often - he's not a good player by any stretch of the imagination). They can be nice enough people, but if I know a game vs them won't be any fun I will try to avoid it altogether rather than refuse the game. I play to have fun and if I know it won't be then I see no reason to waste my own time or that of my opponent.

Cheers, Gary

ServanoTomasin
30-11-2007, 11:56
I've refused loads of people battles, but mainly because at the time I had only just got a grasp of the rules. I was 11-ish and all these big burley 15 year olds ask me if I want a game, and I've only just leant how to play? Erm, no thanks. Before you ask, I'd either play my mates or my dad.
And because I just didn't have enough time/I was sick to the teeth of them sayng how crap my painting was. That said, I now have very good painting skills and I've won several painting awards for them and they haven't, but not GDUK(yet).

Uptil last Sunday though, I would happily play most people at my local GW - a few I would miss because they had bad reputations/they pretty much live in the shop/they are too young and have just come along for the beginners day. Part of what happened was because we forgot that it was the new commers day. But last Sunday, me and my mates went for an apoc battle as one of my mates birthday treat things. We've all played apoc about twice before, but I don't have the book, so I don't know much about it.

We've started to set up, we all have 2000pts and some little kids start to watch. Then,. it all goes wrong as some little 'un with smurfs starts putting his stuff down...we look at him and it seems he's basically showing us his stuff. About 15 mins later, I relise that he and 3 of his little friends have all got they (heavily illegal)armies down. We ask them to go away and explain the situation, but the ignore us. We ask some of the staffers to get rid of them - they ask - and get no reply. Then, we get this random store ginner and inquistior kid putting the stuff down. Ginner was actualy quite funny, but pretty much acepted what the inquisitor kid told as the rules.

*que annoying skeaky voice* "You can't have an apoc game with out an inquisitor"
"Erm yes we can and we already have one" *points to mates inquistior*
"Erm...well....the other guys can have a radical inquisitor"
"Please go away, leave us alone" *staffer* "Go ad play some one else"
"I've already put him down...."

We pretty much told evetyone to go away and the ignore us. In the first turn Inquisitor dude decides he can have 20 lance strike, 10 melta and 5 psyke-out torpedos. Not only this, but despite saying where they would be aimed at (a small shrine) when they scatter, he scatters them from completely radom places, so by coincidence, they all land on a baneblade, and when ever they land on target, they miss target and hit the banblades. Now, I don't know much about torpedoes and the inquisition, but this really, really dosen't seem right. Either way the little t*** goes ahead and annihilates pretty much all our force.
We couldn't be bothered to play on through our first turn, so we packed up and started smaller 1500pt games and actualy told all of them to get stuffed. They did, but only when one of the staffers yelled "beginners game!" But the older inquistior and ginner desided to stay around and lob terreain around and pretty much screw are other games up by moving eveything around.

I don't care if you think this was mean, but it was my mates birthday, so we were all pissed off, and we had arranged this for 2 weeks. We've all now taken the policy to only play each other, parents/relatives that play, the staffers and the adults there who actualy know how to play.
This also shows just how much kids in the UK respect authoritiy and adults, if when the staffers told them to go away they completely ignore them!

Still, I've been refused games, but I don't mind, so long as it isn't the "your too young to understand" response.

Calden
30-11-2007, 12:26
I don't think I've ever refused to play anyone that I can remember. I think I have been refused though, my memory is foggy on it though as it was a good while ago!

My local club used to have an older 40k player, he had an Ork army that he'd been using since 2nd Edition. Essentially for him, each week consisted of him turning up and challenging some youngster to a game on a table with absolutely no terrain on it. He seemed to take great pride in using an ork Battlefortress converted from an old remote controlled car, to batter the ill-formed armies of newbies to the hobby.

He almost never played against the older gamers, and whenever possible I would keep an eye on him and point out the the sheer number of rules "mistakes" he made. Sadly he always seemed to come up with an excuse to play against me (I'm known as the best player at my club, as far as 40k is concerned.....mainly because unlike most of them I know the rules, not really due to skill :P), so when he was eventually chucked out of the club for taking the **** out of the autistic lad that he regulerly enjoyed beating, I never had the chance to blow the snot out of him and teach him a lesson...

ursidae
30-11-2007, 13:28
I can agree with refusing to play someone if you know that you and your opponent just don't mesh. for instance, there is a local kid at the GW here who plays... competitive lists. Eventally he could not find anyone who would play him because he was playing lists that weren't enjoyable for the other player. As for me refusing? I have refused to play people because it would not be fun. Don't get me wrong, I will play a game I am guaranteed to lose down to the last model if the game is fun... but it has to be fun. I don't spend money, time, and effort to not have fun... If I wanted that I would just get married! :cool:

Dicey
30-11-2007, 13:52
I refused to play against the slaanesh lord with siren power, Broooken

Regarding being refused against, I tell players what type of game I like to play and decide what type of game we play before getting our models out. This bit is fairly easy to sort out. Just a couple of times I cant reach a compromise

asmodan
30-11-2007, 14:34
I never refuse or have been refused a game. I once walked out on a game with a redshirt at our local GW. We had made the appointment a week or so ago, but when we were playing he kept being called away. In the end It started to annoy me so much that I was getting a bad mood. Then I decided to better call it a day, cause playing with a bad mood wasn't going to give a fun game to anybody.

Asmodan

grabula
30-11-2007, 15:57
OK... and this is just me - after years of earning my own money, spending some of it on Citadel stuff, spending time assembling it, spending time painting it, and learning how to game with it I get a tad annoyed if someone doesn't want to put the same effort into it that I did. If someone else is cool with it, though, I won't berate them for it.

This sort of thing has always smacked of a sort of 'gamer elitism' to me. I'm not completely opposed to protesting badly put together armies are people who refuse to buy apropriate models for their armies but I'm certainly ok with apropriate models that arent' exactly the specific model designed for the game.
I'm a mature, professional who makes enough money that it's no real concern for me when it comes to gaming. However, on occasion, I've been tempted to use other models as stand ins for various reasons. For WHFB for example, another company makes some fantastic ork and chaos like models that are much much better then what GW produces in my opinion, and if people didn't freak out about not using GW models, I'd be using them instead. I certainly woudln't refuse to play someone who chose to use them. Eldar Epic Titans do indeed make fantastic Eldar dreads for 40K and there's no mistaking what they're supposed to be so any issue with that is just nitpicking and bitchyness in my opinion. Technically I think that's even legal for tourney purposes is it not?
But if you want to show up with some nicely converted WWII tanks as chimera stand ins I'm cool with that too as long as it's reasonable.
It crosses the line for me when someone shows up with a lego army or vehicles, chess pieces as stand ins or other replacements that jsut aren't apropriate for the game. I'm ok with the occasionall goofy proxy as a test run, like Id ont' know if I want to pay 50$ for those minis so do you mind if I use these as proxies sort of thing though.

Brother Loki
30-11-2007, 17:02
eldar titans as wraith lords.... they aint even similar in size! dont get me wrong i love the eldar titan models, but i wouldnt be too impressed if someone tried passing one off as a wraith lord!

From what I remember, my old epic Phantom Titan was almost exactly the same size as a modern 40k wraithlord, and looked very similar.

Now I feel like a jerk even bringing it up. :(

I'm by no means trying to make you feel that way, I just honestly don't understand how building and painting and/or converting an epic titan or tamiya tank is less effort, or somehow less valid than using the stock GW kits. I just don't get it.

ChaosMaster
30-11-2007, 17:18
Have you ever refused, or been refused?
Absolutely. Oh, you meant for gaming. Yeah, that too.

Seriously, I am generally highly selective about with whom I play games. Games take a while to play and it's no fun when it's a chore to hash out the rules constantly during game play. I'd rather get models built and painted with the time than play games with loophole searchers and rules stretchers.

silashand
30-11-2007, 19:54
I don't care if you think this was mean, but it was my mates birthday, so we were all pissed off, and we had arranged this for 2 weeks. We've all now taken the policy to only play each other, parents/relatives that play, the staffers and the adults there who actualy know how to play.
This also shows just how much kids in the UK respect authoritiy and adults, if when the staffers told them to go away they completely ignore them!

Dude, I feel for you. I saw the 'all-day' babysitting thing a lot when I was in the UK. Parents would drop off Little Tommy and leave him there while shopping. He would spend the day annoying the people actually trying to play a game and the staff really couldn't kick him out unless he did something really bad like try to pocket stuff or open it. Pretty sad really. At least the local manager would try to get them to leave people alone, but sometimes it just didn't work. I did like that Harrogate finally got a battle bunker upstairs so people who wanted to play actually can do so and it's a way to keep the brats downstairs with the other stuff.

Cheers, Gary

JonnyX
30-11-2007, 21:56
I refused to play a specific eldar player, in the last eldar codex after he used 2 wraithlords and a warwalker in 500 points :eek:

RustyHarlequin
30-11-2007, 21:59
I've actually encountered the opposite situation to the original question:

A group of around eighteen of us were playing a series of Combat Patrol games, generaly a pair of players against another pair. Ages ranged from around 10-45yrs. We would all play a game and then everyone would shift around to different tables and team up with a different player. Well, on the second game I played, it was myself (late 30's) and the ten year old against an early 20's player and an early 40's player. We were fighting in a cityfight situation with my Eldar Pathfinders holed up in the central building. The 40+ year old player had found his Sisters of Battle pinned down by them so he deep struck some Sisters (the jetpack ones) into the building and directly into the midst of the Pathfinders. Myself and the other two gamers queried this, which he took offence to, so both myself and his own ally looked it up and explained that this was not possible as the Sisters would be destroyed if they came down into an enemy unit. The now angry 'older' gamer promtly, and none to gently, grabbed his figures and dumped them by the side of the table growling that "fine if you're going to be like that they are all dead then" even though we both said he could just deepstrike them somewhere else instead. He then deepstruck his remaining jump pack equipped SOB's round the corner from my War Walker, although his ally pointed out that it would be better to drop them in line of sight of it so they could shoot it with the plasma pistol(s) in the aquad. The now sulky gamer refused the advice, so in the following turn I moved the Warwalker round the corner and began rolling to hit them with its guns. However this proved the final straw with the SOB gamer angrily snatching them up saying "fine they're all dead". He promptly gathered his figures into their box and stormed off outside, never to be seen again - his own late teens/early twenties son, gaming on another table had to finish his game early to go join his dad. The most telling thing about the whole incident was my ten year old ally saying in a shocked voice to the rest of us, "I may be only ten and he may be my dads age but I haven't acted like that since I was five!!"

It may have been good riddence to a bad gamer, but it was rather worrying that a 'mature' man, and father, acted like this (especially so publicly and in front of children, although the latter certainly showed more maturity). It was even worse as the individual concerned claimed to be a unit leader for a major medieival re-enactment society (that I sometimes work with myself) in the UK - this would not be someone I would trust with even a blunt steel weapon let alone in charge of a group of others....

nojinx
30-11-2007, 22:45
Thanks to everyone for their stories. As we can see, there are many types of players out there with a wide variety of attitudes, backgrounds, and (to be polite) sensitivities. It is heartening to read that so many of you are tolerant of others, even helpful. I feel fortunate to play in a small group of friends, but your stories make me, at the same time, both nervous and willing to try some public arenas.

I hope that I never feel the need to deny someone a match because of their faith, age, odor, paint job, state-of-mind, hair color, grasp of language, inebriation, cheesiness-of-list, use of proxies, facial jewelry, lack of familiarity with the rules, insatiable appetite, need to talk constantly to their girl/boyfriend on the phone, unwillingness to leave your house, use of narcotics, degree of insanity, coke-can and Tupperware scenery, dice the size of baseballs, handicap, short window of time to play, or pessimistic outlook on life.

Come as you are. If you are respectful and want to have fun, we'll do just fine.

endless
30-11-2007, 22:48
don't care if you think this was mean, but it was my mates birthday, so we were all pissed off, and we had arranged this for 2 weeks. We've all now taken the policy to only play each other, parents/relatives that play, the staffers and the adults there who actualy know how to play.
I get what you mean, yeah, kids can be irritating and worse... but, one of the great things about this hobby is that it offers younger kids the opportunity to mix with people who can actually change this sort of attitude. If they spend time with adults, teenagers etc. in a situation where rules are important (even if they're just written in a BGB) and can learn by example things like; respect for other people, posessions, 'correct' behaviour in a social situation, and so on and so on, it will have a positive effect. It's hard for you, you're there to chill out with your mates, have a good time, but ultimately it's why this hobby can say it's a community, not just a bunch of consumers. Everyone does, or should, try and help involve and support everyone else. I may just be being an old hippy, but this is one of the reasons I keep coming back, long after I should have grown out of toy soldiers.;)Play games with your friends, try those cheesy lists, try those fluffy lists, try and explain to the kids how they can join in, it's all good!
:cool:

the1stpip
30-11-2007, 23:06
I only have one dice the size of a baseball, and I use it as the turn marker, as you won't pick it up by mistake and roll it.

AngryAngel
01-12-2007, 01:19
Yeah..theres this one win at all costs guy. A real pain in the rump. No one in our local group likes to play against him, and its a shame. He's a great guy, and a great friend..playing games vs him is just not fun at all. Its like the anti fun. People don't enjoy to even be on his team..as its nothing but belly aching win or lose of how people are so much more lucky then him. Or how something shouldn't have happend..the entire game..its like nothing is fun for him short of destroying all your units without real lose to himself.

So we say..maybe later..to him..at least as far as playing games against him goes. Good guy otherwise...oh and he's a side table general. He'll watch every game..and pick apart every action you do telling you how it could have been so much better..or how how army would have ruled house on all your guys. Pretty bothersome.

Cirrus the Blue
01-12-2007, 01:36
Yeah, I've refused a couple games. My would-be opponents were ********** holes though (established opinions of several more individuals than simply myself) and I seriously couldn't be bothered to waste 2 hours of my life on the other side of the table, win or lose. *shrug*

- Cirrus

Cirrus the Blue
01-12-2007, 01:45
I've refused loads of people battles, but mainly because at the time I had only just got a grasp of the rules. I was 11-ish and all these big burley 15 year olds ask me if I want a game, and I've only just leant how to play? Erm, no thanks. Before you ask, I'd either play my mates or my dad.
And because I just didn't have enough time/I was sick to the teeth of them sayng how crap my painting was. That said, I now have very good painting skills and I've won several painting awards for them and they haven't, but not GDUK(yet).

Uptil last Sunday though, I would happily play most people at my local GW - a few I would miss because they had bad reputations/they pretty much live in the shop/they are too young and have just come along for the beginners day. Part of what happened was because we forgot that it was the new commers day. But last Sunday, me and my mates went for an apoc battle as one of my mates birthday treat things. We've all played apoc about twice before, but I don't have the book, so I don't know much about it.

We've started to set up, we all have 2000pts and some little kids start to watch. Then,. it all goes wrong as some little 'un with smurfs starts putting his stuff down...we look at him and it seems he's basically showing us his stuff. About 15 mins later, I relise that he and 3 of his little friends have all got they (heavily illegal)armies down. We ask them to go away and explain the situation, but the ignore us. We ask some of the staffers to get rid of them - they ask - and get no reply. Then, we get this random store ginner and inquistior kid putting the stuff down. Ginner was actualy quite funny, but pretty much acepted what the inquisitor kid told as the rules.

*que annoying skeaky voice* "You can't have an apoc game with out an inquisitor"
"Erm yes we can and we already have one" *points to mates inquistior*
"Erm...well....the other guys can have a radical inquisitor"
"Please go away, leave us alone" *staffer* "Go ad play some one else"
"I've already put him down...."

We pretty much told evetyone to go away and the ignore us. In the first turn Inquisitor dude decides he can have 20 lance strike, 10 melta and 5 psyke-out torpedos. Not only this, but despite saying where they would be aimed at (a small shrine) when they scatter, he scatters them from completely radom places, so by coincidence, they all land on a baneblade, and when ever they land on target, they miss target and hit the banblades. Now, I don't know much about torpedoes and the inquisition, but this really, really dosen't seem right. Either way the little t*** goes ahead and annihilates pretty much all our force.
We couldn't be bothered to play on through our first turn, so we packed up and started smaller 1500pt games and actualy told all of them to get stuffed. They did, but only when one of the staffers yelled "beginners game!" But the older inquistior and ginner desided to stay around and lob terreain around and pretty much screw are other games up by moving eveything around.

Still, I've been refused games, but I don't mind, so long as it isn't the "your too young to understand" response.

Wow dude... Those GW staffers seriously suck at shooing away riff-raff jerkoff little kids... I'm rather stupified that they didn't ban the kids from the shop or call security on their asses! They're supposed to be ********** TRAINED to deal with that!!! :wtf: *shaking head* If I was wearing the shirt, I would've deal't with that properly - 'cause moving terrain 1. durring a game that doesn't include Wood Elves 2. that isn't theirs in the first place... That's just ********* and I'm shocked that the staff didn't bother dealing with it nearly in the ways they should have. Trust me, though; the UK isn't - by a long shot - the only country anymore that kids don't have a shread of respect for anyone 'cept themselves. The world's out of control! I could get into a whole other rant about that, but instead I'll leave you with this piece of advice and say that a good tip for next time would be to make damn certain there's a blackshirt present next time you go to game with your buddies, eh? THEY will know how to deal with that problem and make sure it sticks. I have no tollerance for pissant, bratty little kids who's parents never bothered to set any boundaries in their upbringings.

- Cirrus

Cirrus the Blue
01-12-2007, 02:13
I've refused to play Armoured Company because the strongest weapons I had in my list were two missile launchers and I didn't feel like dealing with pain.

Also, I refused to play with a dumb cooze at a local gaming store because she was annoying. I try not to play with annoying people.

hahaha I had this problem vs a Saim Han army one time. It was teh ubersuk...

- Cirrus

CommisarMolotov
01-12-2007, 02:18
I've never flat-out refused to play somebody, but I did used to fib and say I suddenly had something to do when one particular hygiene-challenged gamer wanted to play a game...

I swear to gawd, the guy stunk so bad, he'd literally make your eyes water.

PseudoK
01-12-2007, 02:52
After previously having the experience of "This time, I'll interpret the rules how I like them - but maybe not the same way next time," I politely told a local player that I was "holding out for my big Apocalypse game tomorrow." Hearing that something is possible because the rulebook doesn't say it isn't (I think it was some random weapon for a tank that wasn't listed in it's options) should've been a dead give away beforehand, but no...

In another case, I told a player that I'd probably be really grumpy due to a lack of lunch - so I guess I refused a game against him for his own good. If it wasn't for a need to keep an eye on the shop, I would've just gotten something to eat and played away.

I'm just glad the local indie shop I work at seems to have a very mellow crowd. The worst anger outbursts we get are my roommate swearing at his dice rolls, or people getting very frustrated about certain units - but apologies are usually issued, and all is healed.

ServanoTomasin
01-12-2007, 15:48
Cirrus -
It may have just been that the staffers who asked them are very, very new so either weren't sure what to do/the kids didn't care because the staffers are noobs.

Also, I'm still a kid, and me and my mates will do as told and respect others, mainly because of the way we (or at least I) were brought up - that is, when you do something bad, something bad happens to you - not a simple "go sit over there and think about what you've done" crap. I mean, half of the stuff I see kids doing makes me wonder why or how they can get away with it!

Anyway, back on topic. I've once seen a mate quit a game after his oponent "wasn't rolling the dice correctly". I've refused to play this person many times because of rules he's come up with ,e.g "Random event". Basically, he rolls a die and what ever he wants to happen does. The best one was when my Iron Hands heavy gun line army was clearly going wipe out his CC salamanders. He decided that most of my army wan't going to show up for two turns, or that, a giant lightning storm would cause my army to re-deploy in open terrain and it couldn't move and other random crap. Also, he's come up with very interesting rules for his sallies in CC and at range.

Also, can anyone tell me about the Inquisition and torpedoes rules please? I can't find my dad's WH or DH 'dex's and I can't find anything about it in the apoc books.
*EDIT* With 1 inquisitor, 2 lex mechanics in 1st turn*
S.T