PDA

View Full Version : Minotaur Army of Khorne?

ViperMagnum357
28-11-2007, 20:20
I've been throwing around a few ideas for a Beasts of Chaos army, specifically one based around minotaurs, giants, chariots and magic. I want an army that plays like Ogre Kingdoms gone berserk, with a few very powerful units. Beasts never jumped out at me, until I saw minotaurs as core in an army led by a doombull. looking at their stats, fear and thinking along the lines of berserker, I came up with this list, but I've never seen something like this used, so any input would be helpful.

Lord: Doombull with Mark of Khorne, Great weapon, Gaze of the gods. 258 points

Heroes: 3 Bray shamans, level 2 with death or shadow lore. 330 points

Core: 3 units of 4 Minotaurs, Mark of Khorne, Great weapon, Standard. 747 points

2 Tuskgor chariots. 170 points

1 unit of 5 warhounds. 30 points

Rare: 2 Chaos Giants, mutant monstrosity. 450 points

The army has the Doombull in a central unit of 4 minotaurs, with a unit of minotaurs and a chariot on each side, the giants across from a couple of hard targets, the shamans mixed in to support the advance, and warhounds to distract or troubleshoot. with 8 power dice and 9 dispel dice, it can put out fairly impressive magic and soak it up like rain. The army would suffer the same problems as both OG and Khorne: very few unarmoured models, likely to be led around or outflanked. The shamans are kind of an experiment, seeing if magic can curb the outmaneuvering. The giants deal with heavy armour, the minotaurs grind down rank and file supported by chariots, and the shamans trouble shoot. I don't know if anyone has tried something like this, so advice is welcome.
Fluffwise, the Doombull leads a tribe of minotaurs dedicated to Khorne, fights with the giants for thrill of the kill, and the shamans/ chariots are all that is left of a gor tribe the minotaurs ate. They spared the chariots because they were fast and useful, and the magic users because they are powerful and protected by chaos undivided. So... they work together because there is no one left on either side that tastes too good, or can't keep up with the minotaurs. I would like to keep it straight Beastmen, so any input as to how this works would be appreciated.:cool:

Khorghan
28-11-2007, 20:25
6 levels of magic in a Khorne army? not cool

all i can say is that would be a hard hitting army, i would drop the shamans and get more minotaurs seeing as people are going to hate you if you keep them. all that Khorne will protect you from magic harm most of the time anyway.

Mouldsta
28-11-2007, 20:35
Well the lord is illegal - doombulls can only select magic weapons, so he can't take gaze of the gods. Background wise you're on ropey ground - a bloodthirsty minotaur, dedicated to khorne sparing a mage, one of khorne's most hated enemies?

As an army, I think you'll struggle - where are the shamans going? They'll be highly susceptible to shooting/foot of gork etc. With the bulk of your army consisting of unarmoured frenzied troops with no shielding units then the majority of your army with spend it's time chasing fast cav.

Rodman49
28-11-2007, 20:41
I've been throwing around a few ideas for a Beasts of Chaos army, specifically one based around minotaurs, giants, chariots and magic. I want an army that plays like Ogre Kingdoms gone berserk, with a few very powerful units.

You could . . . you know . . . play Ogre Kingdoms.

MarcoPollo
28-11-2007, 20:46
I agree with the sentiments on the shamen. Take up more minotaurs of khorne in their place. Also, more warhounds is needed when you play khorne.

As for the giants, Dragon ogres do better for their value.

ViperMagnum357
28-11-2007, 21:46
thanks for the quick reply. I know I am dancing on razorblades with the magic and no screening, but I wanted to throw it out there and see what the consensus is.

Your Mum Rang
28-11-2007, 22:11
No... just no. Be fluffy! I use a list like this:

Doombull of Khorne: Heavy Armour + Shield + Sword of Might
4 x 4 Minotaurs of Khorne: Great Weapons
8 Centigor w/ Full Command
2 x 8 Flesh Hounds
8 Furies
4 Dragon Ogres w/ Great Weapons

Killy as hell and 8 DD!

logan054
28-11-2007, 22:18
First things first, give the Doombull slaughteres blade, take out the wizards (they arnt needed), do take some screens, you really need them with so much frenzy in your army.

Another thing i see many people do is to put the doombull in a unit of trolls, this way they are leadership 9 and when targetted by missile fire they have a 4+ wardsave rather than no armour at all.

Khorghan
28-11-2007, 22:21

yeah, i was gunna say

txamil
28-11-2007, 22:47
Play how you want. I will point and scorn the magic for a few seconds, but it's just that big of a deal.
Bring it every week and I would stop playing you every week though.

WusteGeist
29-11-2007, 05:57
It's ok, but khorne gets lead about the nose too much. It's really not viable. Don't get me wrong khorne is cool and all but being forced to charge when you don't wanna sucks.

gorenut
29-11-2007, 07:39
I agree.. play Ogre Kingdoms. That's the army that is actually more streamlined if you wanna play an army of big dudes. If you really don't like Ogres, you can always convert or use Minotaur models. Plus an Ogre Tyrant would totally slap around a Doombull any day.

blurred
30-11-2007, 07:56
I'm a bit baffled by this thread. Why is everyone suggesting him to play Ogre kingdoms? Minotaurs are just as viable as OK: they are two very different armies.

It's ok, but khorne gets lead about the nose too much. It's really not viable.

Oh its definitely viable and in the right hands downright brutal. Minotaurs have the advantage of having beast herds and small warhound units to harass the enemy while the big boys clear the battlefield: very flexible and viable army indeed.

Your Mum Rang
30-11-2007, 11:27
Yeah, a unit of 4 Minotaurs of Blood with Great Weapons costs 229pts. Add in a simply 48pts unit of 8 Warhounds and you have a screen that will prevent them from being led around, protect them some from missile fire and won't make them flee since they're ITP.

Voodoo Boyz
30-11-2007, 11:35

Then he loses chariots, hounds, and WS4 on all his monsters.

Playing Ogres has it's own draws, this army is similar but has a completely different set of appeal.

Your Mum Rang
30-11-2007, 11:46
And he already said he didn't want OK. Sheesh, us geeks need to stick together more! it's a bad world out there. First we start caning each other over Ogres and before you know it... pandemonium!

Mercules
30-11-2007, 14:41
I put together an army like this. I've got the list made, but I haven't played it yet. I want to throw it into the local game shop mix and see what happens since there is an Empire gunline w/scrollcaddies army with 7 dispel scrolls that would groan to see this on the field. There are also a few that rely on magic and this list has 10 dispel dice.

What I ended up with was:

Doombull - Gen MkKh HW Hv Shl -Hellfire Sword

Wargor - MkKh HW Hv -Rending Sword -Ench Shield

Wargor - MkKh HW Hv Shl -Axe of Khorne -Collar of Khorne

Wargor - MkKh HW Hv Shl -Great Fang

Beast Herd - Mus HW Shl
Gors 7
Ungor 9

Beastigor Herd of Khorne 17 - full command MkKh HW GWep HV -Banner of Rage

Minotaurs of Khorne 3 - Champ MkKh HW GWep Lt

Warhounds 8

Warhounds 8

Tuskgor Chariot

Magic shouldn't hurt too much. Shooting will but I should be able to close the distance. I have 4 units that can be lead by the nose and 3 that can screen for them. I'm debating dropping the chariot for more Warhounds. 1) Warhounds are speedy allowing me to tie up ranged units quicker 2) I'll need more screening.

The Minos and heroes are going to meat grinder anything they can close with. I can't think of much that would -want- to toe-the-line with the Doombull WS 6 St5 and 6 attacks. The Hellfire sword doesn't allow armor saves and does 1d6 extra wounds.

Red_Duke
30-11-2007, 14:55
im surprised youre trying to max out characters still - to be honest the best Khorne armies ive seen tend to have a single character - and often just a hero rather than lord choice!

Bestigors are a bit sucky too, they will get left behind by the rest of the army, and are pretty inflexible.

Personally id take more minotaurs, maybe take a single wargor, perhaps some spawns, and certainly some of those tasty dragon ogres. Furies as well, in a big unit, to go warmachine hunting.

Mercules
30-11-2007, 15:47
im surprised youre trying to max out characters still - to be honest the best Khorne armies ive seen tend to have a single character - and often just a hero rather than lord choice!

Bestigors are a bit sucky too, they will get left behind by the rest of the army, and are pretty inflexible.

Personally id take more minotaurs, maybe take a single wargor, perhaps some spawns, and certainly some of those tasty dragon ogres. Furies as well, in a big unit, to go warmachine hunting.

1. It's fluffy
2. Hero's with the Mark of Khorne give me an additional Dispel Die
3. Doombull is a Lord in for a ounce in for a pound
4. Bestigors and the Beast Herd will be together. If nothing else they get put in a location together to make my opponent think that is where my concentration of forces will be.
5. I wanted Beasts, not Demons, see #1.
6. I actually like Minotaurs better than Dragon Ogres I might be tempted to drop the Bestigor Herd and Beast Herd for more Minos, but not Dragon Ogres.
7. I looked at it again and the Chariot is going bye-bye for more Chaos Hound units.
8. Call me a newb, but I like characters and challenging and either sending their champion/character away or trying to get the overkill for the CR this army will need to counteract static CR