PDA

View Full Version : GW Canada War on Cancer

TheOneWithNoName
28-11-2007, 22:34
Anyone have an inkling of what this is about?

Norminator
28-11-2007, 22:36
Where did you get it from?

Malorian
28-11-2007, 22:54
It was in the WD

TheOneWithNoName
28-11-2007, 23:02
Yes, in this month's Canadian White Dwarf there's an ad for it but no real information. It's suppose to take place in February.

catbarf
28-11-2007, 23:38
Yes, in this month's Canadian White Dwarf there's an ad for it but no real information. It's suppose to take place in February.

Way to go GW! Advertise something without giving people any idea of what the &%#$ it is!

Ravenous
28-11-2007, 23:41
Huh, I read the WD already and totally missed this.

EDIT: No ****in' wonder I missed it its a small little bar, and it doesnt even say anything except WAR ON CANCER!

I really hope that this is a fundraiser event and not a campaign on the planet cancer.

Atrum Angelus
28-11-2007, 23:47
The War on Cancer is an event held in the GW Canada Bunkers.
You come in, paint a space marine (with pink on it) and you fight Chaos Spawns, representing Cancer, in a Mega Battle. You enter by making a donation that goes to the local Cancer Society and for every "Cancer" Spawn you kill the staff make a $5 donation (not GW paying, the staff actually make the donation).

ExquisiteEvil
28-11-2007, 23:55
The War on Cancer is an event held in the GW Canada Bunkers.
You come in, paint a space marine (with pink on it) and you fight Chaos Spawns, representing Cancer, in a Mega Battle. You enter by making a donation that goes to the local Cancer Society and for every "Cancer" Spawn you kill the staff make a $5 donation (not GW paying, the staff actually make the donation).

So if i have read your summary correct, GW Themselves (a multi million dollar corperation) make no donation whatsoever and instead make their underpaid staff fork out?

yeah, nice one GW - way to help the fight against Cancer!

:eyebrows:

Atrum Angelus
29-11-2007, 00:10
So if i have read your summary correct, GW Themselves (a multi million dollar corperation) make no donation whatsoever and instead make their underpaid staff fork out?

yeah, nice one GW - way to help the fight against Cancer!

:eyebrows:

*bangs head on keyboard* That is on top of the donation by GW Canada. I was refering to the killing of spawns.

Way to go GW! Advertise something without giving people any idea of what the &%#$ it is!

Thats how many companies advertise. It makes you go looking and asking, and talk about it before they reveal how it works. GW did the same thing for Medusa IV. All the first ad was was a planet with the words "This summer a planet will die."

Ravenous
29-11-2007, 00:23
A bit off topic but isnt pink just in relation to breast cancer? Or is it universal for cancer now?

Atrum Angelus
29-11-2007, 00:27
A bit off topic but isnt pink just in relation to breast cancer? Or is it universal for cancer now?

I think its officially just breast cancer, but pink now seems to symbolize Cancer period to a lot of people. Now, the pink was decided for our store (Winnipeg), but I know several other store are going with it too. Because people associate pink with cancer and so we can see a wave of Pink Space Marines on the table. :D

ExquisiteEvil
29-11-2007, 01:27
*bangs head on keyboard* That is on top of the donation by GW Canada. I was refering to the killing of spawns.

So whats the donation that GW Canada is making - the money from the gamers? if it is its still not from GW pockets

Atrum Angelus
29-11-2007, 02:44
So whats the donation that GW Canada is making - the money from the gamers? if it is its still not from GW pockets

I believe equal (or double, or some ratio) to what the gamers bring in.
But it depends on the location. 'Cause each bunker gives its money to its local branch for its city. Ie. The Winnipeg bunker will give to the Winnipeg Cancer Society for Winnipeg Cancer patients. So, the money we'll give is from GW, the gamers and the staff, and it will depend solely on how many gamers come into the store (though GW and the Staff will give some no matter what).

EDIT: I'm in work tommorow so I'll ask what the exact amount is.

Frep
29-11-2007, 03:03
When is the GW winnipeg event anyways? I'm asking because I think its a neat idea for raising money for cancer, but I live 4 hours out of winnipeg so I'd like the exact date.

Khorghan
29-11-2007, 04:18
thats actually a really cool idea, cancer fighting marines killing cancer spawns

Agrip. Varenus Denter
29-11-2007, 05:01
I don't give a rat's **** where the money comes from... it's going to a good cause. Bravo to GW Canada. :)

Thoth62
29-11-2007, 16:38
I don't give a rat's **** where the money comes from... it's going to a good cause. Bravo to GW Canada. :)

Quoted for truth. I've known several people who have been adversely affected by cancer, and a couple who have died from it. The mere fact that GW is recognizing this cause and running an event for it is enough to make me want to show up and support it no matter where the money is coming from.

To those who would bash GW on this subject. At least they're doing something. I haven't heard about GW US or UK doing this. (although that may be because nobody's brought it up here yet...) Again, it doesn't matter where the money comes from. At least it's coming. Grow up and give GW Canada the recognition it deserves for trying to make this happen.

Jedi152
29-11-2007, 16:42
GW should do this the world over. Hobbyists tend to be a caring bunch - GW should do more stuff like this.

I recall a 'penny a point' megabattle in the UK years ago to help a sick boy go to Disneyland. They raised a hell of a lot i recall.

Bookwrak
01-12-2007, 07:41
They raised so much money that not only did he get to go to Disneyland, he could even afford a ticket to go inside.:p

Kymmerus
01-12-2007, 13:27
That really sounds like an awesome idea marines battling cancer spawns for a fund raiser... thats just brilliant to me :D Works in with their product quite well and with the idea of fighting against cancer that the cancer societies have... simple and effective IMHO.

Vic
01-12-2007, 16:27
Kudos to GW Canada. I think GW as a whole should do more things like this then ADVERTISE their community involvment.