PDA

View Full Version : 200pts of reptilian shi... gotta love the smell!

XaraX
29-11-2007, 02:06
let's cut the c-rap

Heroe

Slann, 2th generation, Plaque of divine protection, Plaque of Tepok, Diadem of Power, Army standard bearer
585 pts , probably heaven only [large target see all. Large target without range for spells shoots ALL!], alone, between the 2 blocks of Saurus

Core

BIG BLOCK of slann guardian... see later for the 3 options
[around 306pts]

10 - Skink with blowpipe
10 - Skink with blowpipe
10 - Skink with blowpipe
10 - Skink with blowpipe
4 X 60pts = 240pts, screening, poison spitting and stuff!

Special

4 X Kroxigor
4 X Kroxigor
2 X 232pts = 464pts, left and right of the saurus unit, ready to flank charge

3 X Terradon
3 X Terradon
2 X 105pts = 210pts, flying around, warmachine hunter, rear flankers, fast cavalry tracker and harrassing stuff according to my 20'' flight move needs!

Rare

3 X Salamander
195pts, ... placed according to what I'm facing... roam the land along with the skink to spit fire or remain between the saurus to spit at what's comming and flank charge if need be

About the big block

option A
20 - Saurus with spears, standard, champion and slann, unit made of 6 X 4 models

option B
16 temple guards with shield, champion, slann, unit made of 5X4 models

or else... that's mostly where I need help

Makarion
29-11-2007, 06:29
Having played against Slann armies, I've found them much, much more efficient with at least 1 skink priest around (level 2, perhaps scout or stegadon mount).

I would also suggest upgrading one unit of skinks to scouts, and to change two units to javelins - they tend to need 7s to hit with multiple shot otherwise, and that defeats the purpose of poison. Perhaps make them 12 to a unit and drop the 4th unit to make some points.

The kroxigor units will be very hard to maneuver, unless you use them in a 3-wise formation with a hit point buffer in the back row. That's not a horrible choice, but it's a possible point saver.

I havce yet to see Terradons make up their points, but that's perhaps because I rarely see armies without enough shooting (or magic, at times) to not remove them very quickly. Certainly, one unit of 4 is preferable to two units of 3.

Salamanders are fine, 3 to a unit sounds pretty good.

As to the protective block, iI am in two minds - either saurus with hand weapon and shield, or temple guard. I'm tempted to think that the former should be the preferred option, since it grants the unit a bit more durability due to numbers.
Nte, that the second rank of a saurus block doesn't get the bonus attack when they are fighting with spears. It makes it a very expensive toy.

If you have points left over after getting an extra skink priest, consider the stegadon idea - they are very hard to deal with for many armies! If not, jungle swarms are much maligned, but they are still a decent tar pit, and should be good at holding up part of your opponent's army while you blast it to pieces.

Jibbajabba
29-11-2007, 10:22
I reckon you might be over 200 there. ;)

Little Aaad
29-11-2007, 20:49
200 point list? I think that only one army can do that?

gerrymander61
29-11-2007, 21:27
This list looks fine. I'd opt with the temple guard over the saurus, and to make points for a level 2 skink priest, which I also reccomend, drop your kroxigor units down to 3 each. Also, just like Malkarion said, make one of those skink units scouting. I personally only find javelins useful on the scouts.

There you have it. A list. The only glaring problem that I now see with this list is that it looks identical to many many lizardmen lists that I have seen presented on Warseer. Do something to make yours stand out.

Malorian
29-11-2007, 22:31
I'm not a fan of lists like this. They don't have enough staying power in my mind. Too many skink units and not enough saurus.

That one unit is also a key to a LOT of points. If the enemy kills it you lose all your magic, your general, at least 1 banner, and the extra points for killing a 2nd gen slan. An army with heavy cav could easy punch out the heart of your army and leave you in BIG trouble.

Semi_Bunny
29-11-2007, 23:19
The list looks pretty decent. One thing I'd say is bring some lore of metal spells in case you are up against a lot of heavy cavalry, as the only unit that would stand much of a chance of killing it otherwise would be your kroxis. For the slann guard, I'd go with the saurus warriors, because with the temple guard n all that, it might be too much of a point sink and therefore at times quite a risk.

Makarion
29-11-2007, 23:58
I'm not a fan of lists like this. They don't have enough staying power in my mind. Too many skink units and not enough saurus.

That one unit is also a key to a LOT of points. If the enemy kills it you lose all your magic, your general, at least 1 banner, and the extra points for killing a 2nd gen slan. An army with heavy cav could easy punch out the heart of your army and leave you in BIG trouble.

It's why I suggested swarms. About 4 bases ties up most any cavalry for a while.

Malorian
30-11-2007, 04:19
With the new rules I've never found swarms for any army worth while...

Makarion
30-11-2007, 05:38
To each his- or her own. I like them well enough, and I've had them used against me with decent success.