PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point High Elf army

Caligula
29-11-2007, 03:57
I've been reading through my ancient 3rd or 4th edition High Elf army book, and there's a battle report in there featuring a High Elf force against a Goblin force. In an attempt to pay homage to an old favorite, I've decided to make roughly the same force as is featured in the old battle report, kind of continuing and expanding on the character of it. If anyone reading this has access to the old HE army book, you'll know what I'm going on about here;)

Here's the 1000 point list.

Anaryll-
High Elf Mage-
Level 2
Elven Steed
Ithilmar Barding
Jewel of the Dusk
Ring of Fury

Yvresse Emerald Company-
15 High Elf Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sentinel

Yvresse Sapphire Company-
15 High Elf Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sentinel

Eldril's Silver Arrows-
10 High Elf Archers

Ithrim Patrol-
10 High Elf Archers

Arathalle's Lancers-
5 Silver Helms-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
High Helm

Repeater Bolt Thrower

TOTAL-992pts.

Okay, so it's not exactly the same army list, but it stays true to the basics of what it was in the old book. I mean, there is a difference of two or three rules editions between the old army book and the newest, so that's to be expected.

Overall, how does this army look to you?

Caligula
29-11-2007, 15:38
Okay, no comments thus far. I suppose I could take this as a good thing or a bad thing;) I know the list has a preponderance of core troops, but with the strength of the Elven core now, is that such a bad thing?

I would have liked to fit in a Tiranoc chariot and/or another Hero, but points simply wouldn't allow it.

Makarion
29-11-2007, 17:56
I'm sorry to sound negative, but how are all those S3 attacks going to kill anything?

Your combat worthy models are:

1. Mage
2. Silver Helms *5.
3. Repeater Bolt Thrower

All the others are scenery, or mild tar pits on a good day. They might be able to break weaker blocks with flank charges, of course, but even so...

Mind you, I play Empire mostly, so I know your pain. But my infantry is supplemented with S4 ranged combat and war machines (plus knights that can on a par with your Silver Helms).

As to solutions, it's rough if you want to maintain the theme of that old list. Perhaps get rid of a block of archers and replace it with another bolt thrower?

Caligula
29-11-2007, 18:28
Okay, thank you very much for the advice, Makarion. I know, a lot of S3 attacks doesn't necessarily add up to much sometimes, does it?

However, at this points level I'm not overly worried about it. I mean, I do have some spell ability, a Bolt Thrower and the Silver Helms to deal with the toughest opponents. I do plan on adding some high strength punch in the next 500 point addition, however.

I would LOVE to add another Bolt Thrower, but I would hate to have to drop a whole unit of Archers. High Elf infantry seems to good to me, and Archers seem like a pretty decent firebase when combined with a Bolt Thrower...I'll think it over though, and thanks again for the advice!

I'm of the opinion that High Elf Spearmen ARE combat worthy, but perhaps I'm wrong on this?

Regardless, the next 500 points will see the addition of a hard-hitting Noble, a Tiranoc Chariot, another Bolt Thrower, and possibly some White Lions...if I can manage to fit it all in. Actually, any suggestions on what to add next in your opinions?

Makarion
29-11-2007, 18:41
(On spearmen)

Well, as with most infantry, they suffer badly against enemies with a fair amount of shooting (or sometimes flyers such as furies) themselves. Even at Mv 5, you're probably looking at turn 3 before you hit combat, and by then there's a good chance they've had to make at least one panic test.

The above wouldn't be as bad if you had Empire spearmen, which are 5 points apiece (6 if I give them a a shield), but you're not going to be able to afford them in 25-man blocks, so you'll not only arrive with 10 of them at the melee, but you'll also be forced to take panic tests a lot quicker. At least you have good Ld.

What you could do is play very defensive: 1 unit of 20 spears, 1 of archers, 2 RBT, Silver Helms for a counter-charge unit. I'd be worried that you don't have enough ranged damage potential to force the battle on your terms, but it might be worth a try.

Add perhaps some shadow warriors at 1,500 points to march-block your opponent.

Good luck!

grhino
29-11-2007, 18:50
it is not a bad list for playing against goblins... spearmen are excellent (best in the game) for forming a solid wall against those weak, but numerous enemies. Anything that can cause panic or break tests is good... but archers can usually not do too much good against goblins. They are usefull for taking out fast cavalry, though... this might even spread panic through the enemy army.

maybe add some spearmen and a chariot by losing one of the archer unit...