PDA

View Full Version : What are good Right and Left Power Fists? [Also, SOB/Eldar model question]

Grot
29-11-2007, 11:16
Sorry for the length in advance.

I've stayed considerably out of the loop concerning warhammer figures, although sometimes insipration still hits, and I want to see if something is possible, then fine-tune the theoretical concept before spending fifty bucks to mail order parts and find out they're not quite what I was thinking. Hopefully someone out there can help me out.

So, firstly, I'm asking all marine players, Chaos and regular, if they know of any good powerfist bits on sprues or metal guys anyplace.

If I'm remembering correctly, there's plenty of left-handed power fists to go around, [and I'm wondering which sprues the Space Wolf one and the pointing Chaos one are from, as I think those are the only two pieces with fingers that look functional.]

But more importantly, are there any right-handed powerfists out there that look similar to the plastic left ones? The new plastic Space Marine Terminator's lightning claws still look too different when you trim away all the claw bits and wiring, and that's really the only recent model I've had a good look at.

Basically, I'm trying to come up with a model with a pair of matching powerfists, mostly for the 'boxer/brawler' kind of look, rules wise it'll probably end up as a power fist / close combat weapon, like how the combat servitors are.

And as a marginally related side-note, are there any SOB players out there who can recommend their favorite looking metal Sister models? The official website is full of holes, and the Witch Hunters codex lacks any sort of comprehensive picture-list. [And browsing the blisters in the store can only get me so far.] Another conversion I'm also pondering over is making a Witch Hunters commander model. In this case, I'm thinking about replacing both arms at about the elbow, for a couple weapon swaps, [pretty much ruling out any of the bolter-across-the-chest sisters.] but want a nice base to work off of.

Although the official Canoness model with all the different hands is a fairly nice one, I'm not too fond of the chest-plate, which looks kinda pointy and squished vertically to me [the stomach seems to be too short]. And while I'd really like to use Saint Celestine's model, I'm not too fond of the face on her. So for all you SOB players out there, while painting up your metal armies, and getting a really close look, were any of the troops and veteran superior models that stood out, in terms of pose or detailing? Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Seraphim models, or maybe a heavy weapons trooper, since all these models either have their arms off to the side ready to be cut off, or the heavy weapon isn't connected to begin with. However, again, the problem here is that I've never seen any heavy weapons model up close without the gun glued on, and from the looks of the Seraphim, their feet seem to be a little too long, and may need to be rebuilt to get them in a standing pose.

Or maybe there's an eldar/dark eldar model somewhere which would be a better base, assuming I replaced the helmet for a SOB one? Or maybe even a fantasy model? Being an out-of-the-loop 40K player, I've never even glanced at a non-orc fantasy model in quite some time. Maybe even one of those specialty games? Are they still releasing new Necromunda models?

Anyway, this post looks really long, so if you just skipped down to the end, to summarize:

Question 1: What are some good models/sprues to get a right power fist, and what are some good models/sprues to get a left power fist?

Question 2: What model would you recommend to be a suitable base for a Witch Hunter HQ/Elite model, based on their all-metal army? Specifically, one with a detailed body and torso, but with arms that would be easy to remove and replace. [Or maybe even a female Eldar / Dark Eldar / Warhammer Fantasy Armoured Female model that you think might work well.] And either a well-done face or helmet, I'm kind of on the fence for that detail right now.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, and I hope this lengthy post is worded well enough for you to get what I'm trying to say.

Chupacabraplus
29-11-2007, 11:45
I did a double power fist guy using a right handed pointy hand - I think from the assault box, but not too sure, and the left chained up fist from the black templar sprue. Powerfists actually look good paired up, since it doesnt make the character look comically disproporsioned.

RavingGuard
29-11-2007, 12:01
pointing right hand power fist is definitely from the assault marine box.

i'll think of some more later.

pookie
29-11-2007, 12:34
the only right handed one still in production is from the assault sprue, you can get a oop rtb 1 plastic r/h power fist, but its the older style.

funnily enough the SW and CSM Power fists come with the relevant models ie SW and CSM ;) - no seriously, the SW one comes on the SW accessory sprue and same with the CSM power fist, that comes on the CSM Command Sprue.

you can also get Power fits in the BT and DA boxes, although both are icon specifc to the chpater ( the DA maybe less so as its a sword witha 'sun burst' around it, where as the BT one has a Icon and chanins on it)

off topic - Yay 1000 Posts!!!

Marstfu
29-11-2007, 13:07
This is what I did to the chaos power fist to make right-handed ones.

Take left-handed power fist.
Cut off the thumb, cut off all fingers.
Cut off the tube and exhausts on it, then cut it off at the base of the fist.
Cut all fingers loose, glue them on in the right way for a right hand, attach thumb in the right place, then glue the fist to any right arm.

Done!

PlasticFork
29-11-2007, 14:53
With the heavy weapon sisters, you'll have to take in the fact that they do look as if they're braced for the weight/recoil of their weapons.

Just taking a quick glance at some of my superiors... you could try the new(ish) plasma pistol wielding superior, or the oop (many available on eBay) superior with bolter and power sword.

Grazzy
29-11-2007, 17:15
Take left-handed power fist.
Cut off the thumb, cut off all fingers.
Cut off the tube and exhausts on it, then cut it off at the base of the fist.
Cut all fingers loose, glue them on in the right way for a right hand, attach thumb in the right place, then glue the fist to any right arm.

If i did that the model would look like a blind guy with no hands had viciously attacked the model with a blowtorch held between his teeth!

Grot
02-12-2007, 06:12
Thanks for all the replies.

So the only current-style right handed power fist is on the assault marine sprue, huh? Well, at least now I know a plastic right-handed powerfist exists, although I suppose I have to plan the pose for the model to be pointing.

As for the suggestions to cut up the fingers to reverse the handed-ness of a power fist, it sounds simple enough, but I don't think I'd be able to do it, so.

BrainFireBob
02-12-2007, 06:53
Well, by combining the right-handed pointer and a chaos left-handed, you could model the guy as dancing . . .

chaos
02-12-2007, 08:36
genius brainfirebob GENIUS THATS SO COOL

Godgolden
02-12-2007, 11:05
Any sister player will happily tell you, all sister models ahve a at least one arm concealed (exception of seraphim and canoness etc) so your going to have at least soem cutting work to do, i have seen a heavy weapon model turned into a superior and it looks silly if done badly... but it might be a good road for a banner bearer or something similar.

Every superior model for foot sloggers has one arm totally visible but the other is hugging the torso

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010801703&orignav=9

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010800402&orignav=9

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010805201&orignav=9

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060108052&orignav=9

Personally im in love with the superior outstretching a bolter, whist grasping the icon to her chest, best sister model i think.

Sideros Peltarion
02-12-2007, 11:16
Well if you want matching fists then the Marneus Calgar models would probably be the nest bets.

Grand Master Raziel
02-12-2007, 14:03
Well, by combining the right-handed pointer and a chaos left-handed, you could model the guy as dancing . . .

Veteran Sergeant Travolta, what have I told you about getting your groove on in the Land Raider? :mad::p:D

Yeah, the only right-handed power fist that I'm aware of is in the Space Marine Assault Squad box set. As for lefties, so far no one has mentioned the one in the SM Commander box set. If you just want the fists, you can check out Battlewagon Bitz, which appears to be up again under new management.

leonmallett
02-12-2007, 15:48
the only right handed one still in production is from the assault sprue, you can get a oop rtb 1 plastic r/h power fist, but its the older style.

funnily enough the SW and CSM Power fists come with the relevant models ie SW and CSM ;) - no seriously, the SW one comes on the SW accessory sprue and same with the CSM power fist, that comes on the CSM Command Sprue.

you can also get Power fits in the BT and DA boxes, although both are icon specifc to the chpater ( the DA maybe less so as its a sword witha 'sun burst' around it, where as the BT one has a Icon and chanins on it)

off topic - Yay 1000 Posts!!!

The Commander kit has a PF, as does the command sprue IIRC, and so does the Devastator sprue (all left-handed). Having finished assembling a very PF-heavy army, variety is important. :)

cuda1179
02-12-2007, 17:18
If you want a Metal right handed powerfist you could always get the Captain Cortez model. That models was completely horrible, except for the powerfist. I think the only reason any were ever bought was to get the powerfist.

BrainFireBob
02-12-2007, 20:26
His backpack was rather superb, as well. Fist iconography on it.

Son of Makuta
02-12-2007, 21:09
What about that Games Day SM vet sarge from one or two years ago? I think he had a right handed powerfist?

pookie
03-12-2007, 09:39
:D
The Commander kit has a PF, as does the command sprue IIRC, and so does the Devastator sprue (all left-handed). Having finished assembling a very PF-heavy army, variety is important. :)

thats true, you'd think id have remebered after building models with fists from all the sprues i mentioned and you mentioned!