PDA

View Full Version : 40k mentioned in the Onion

tangerinealtoid
29-11-2007, 19:50
Hey, our favorite hobby got referenced in an Onion article:

http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/sci_fi_geek_only_hangs_out

scarletsquig
29-11-2007, 19:55
The onion is awesome, but I'm only seeing a picture and no article.

tangerinealtoid
29-11-2007, 19:56
There's no article, just the picture with the funny caption.

Triggerdog
29-11-2007, 19:57
thats hilarious

tangerinealtoid
29-11-2007, 20:00
Its a shame that they had to use a pic of such a crappy paint job. What are those supposed to be, Salamanders?

catbarf
29-11-2007, 20:25
Its a shame that they had to use a pic of such a crappy paint job. What are those supposed to be, Salamanders?

Crappy paint job? Sure looks good to me. I don't see how ANY use of blending could be considered a crappy paint job...

Deakor
29-11-2007, 20:43

If you look at the legs carefully I think you'll see a stylized letter "G"

Based on that and the colors, I believe these are supposed to be Green Bay Packers termies.

:)

lord_blackfang
29-11-2007, 20:44

Yeah. Blending, shading, drilled gun barrels, a perfect coat of yellow... sure is crappy. :rolleyes:

sigur
29-11-2007, 20:53
The paintjob really looks great and I like that colourscheme too. The only thing that sucks is the "funny caption". Models-models, geddid? ahaha.:rolleyes:

HorgothTheGreat
29-11-2007, 21:20
Paired with some great Termies that pic is.

TheOverlord
29-11-2007, 21:23
Crappy?

Huh.

Well you must either win the golden daemon every year and hangs out with nothing but golden daemon entrants every day or I'm absolutely going blind and/or hallucinating.

Marshal Argos
29-11-2007, 21:24
If you look at the legs carefully I think you'll see a stylized letter "G"

Based on that and the colors, I believe these are supposed to be Green Bay Packers termies.

:)

Ha, I love it. When I started playing I painted a scout squad in the Pack colors. I think I still have one around here somewhere... off to look for it when I finish typing.

Never realized that there other "Onion" readers here I've been reading them for years now. It helped that I had a subscription when I lived in Wi.

scratchbuilt
29-11-2007, 21:28
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_more_u_s_soldiers_suffering

Good paint job.

dblaz3r
29-11-2007, 21:41
:wtf:.... who joins the army and thinks it's going to be all rose petals and fairy tales, come on.

Xenocidal Maniac
29-11-2007, 21:45
That is kinda funny... cool to see 40k get some semi-mainstream exposure.

I liked The Onion until

a) they started unabashedly pushing a commie leftist agenda
b) they sold out to Ted Turner

PotatoLegs
29-11-2007, 21:51
:wtf:.... who joins the army and thinks it's going to be all rose petals and fairy tales, come on.

.....you DO realise the onion is a satirical website?

BajsArne
29-11-2007, 22:08
Where's the commie propaganda? I could use a good boost of faith.

Varath- Lord Impaler
29-11-2007, 23:13
Where's the commie propaganda? I could use a good boost of faith.

Da Comrade!

Anyway, whats the problem with communism? Sure Capitalists have become very good contortionists, able to stab you in the back and simultaneously shake your hand and smile. A communist is honest, he stabs you in the back and steals your home and family. But he doesnt smile while doing it.

...what?

Imperialis_Dominatus
29-11-2007, 23:26
It ain't a bad paint job at all. Unless they were supposed to be Salamanders. But they are Packers. Which means that I'm gonna paint up some Bronco Marines. :p

ChaosMaster
29-11-2007, 23:34
And, this is the second thread about this bit of comedy from The Onion to appear on Warseer. The first appeared yesterday.

tangerinealtoid
29-11-2007, 23:53
Crappy?

Huh.

Well you must either win the golden daemon every year and hangs out with nothing but golden daemon entrants every day or I'm absolutely going blind and/or hallucinating.

Well, it looks like he drilled all of the barrels except for the firing barrel. But, my opinion is certainly colored by my unconscious distaste for all things Packers-related. Go Pats!

Bunnahabhain
30-11-2007, 00:10
Eh? the firing barrels of the assualt cannon are the outside ones, the axle ie non-firing bit is the centre one.....

ChaosMaster
30-11-2007, 00:12
It's like a Gatling Gun, only one barrel fires at a time as it comes into alignment with the main barrel that extends beyond the rotating cylinder of barrels.

Wraithbored
30-11-2007, 00:14
The Pretty Marines obviously.

tangerinealtoid
30-11-2007, 00:55
Eh? the firing barrels of the assualt cannon are the outside ones, the axle ie non-firing bit is the centre one.....

Nope, its the exact opposite of what you said. Check out the wikipedia article on Gatling guns for a thorough discussion.

catbarf
30-11-2007, 01:53
A rotary autocannon or gatling gun uses multiple barrels to prevent overheating. Logically these would all be drilled out. I don't own any SM minis, but if the 'axle' is the end of the barrel from which the gun fires, then yes, they goofed.

chromedog
30-11-2007, 02:45
You don't have to drill out the 'axle'. It isn't the muzzle. It's the spindle bearing just above the muzzle, where the business end of the spindle (which the 6 barrels rotate around) is anchored.

The firing barrel on an A-can is the bottom-most barrel only. The motor rotates the barrels so that this is always the case, and it gives the just fired barrel a chance to cool off.

catbarf
30-11-2007, 03:04
I just saw a picture, and chromedog is 100% correct.

unclejimbo827
30-11-2007, 03:04
Packer Termies?! BURN, HERETIC!

Kargos Bloodspit
30-11-2007, 03:15
There's no article, just the picture with the funny caption.

Damn lazy journalists.

To be honest, I don't see what's so funny about this.

Nice minis though, wonder if we could find that guy and ask him to do a tutorial on those yellows....

chromedog
30-11-2007, 03:18
Hey, they were good enough for Homer.

Then again, the only sporting team I follow from over the pac is the Vancouver Canucks.

Yah, I know, they're a Hockey team. Shows what I think of Yank football.