PDA

View Full Version : If there were a movie...

lethlis
29-11-2007, 20:44
If there were a gaunts ghost movie, who would you want to play the main characters. Gaunt, Corbec, Rayne, Dorden, Larkin, etc

Quentin
29-11-2007, 20:47
They would all be played by actor's who I do not even know exist, complete unknowns, if it up to me.

sigur
29-11-2007, 20:50
If there were a gaunts ghost movie, who would you want to play the main characters. Gaunt, Corbec, Rayne, Dorden, Larkin, etc

It actually surprises me that we didn't have a thread like this in at least four months. There used to be times this popped up in 40k General every two weeks. And this time, the questioning is much more precise. Really an interesting development in 40k General.

Haroith
29-11-2007, 21:19
id love a movie about the ghosts, and i think it would be quite possible to make one aswell, i think i agree with Quentin about the actors. i think that after you've seen rowan atkinson in mr. Bean you won't reckognise him as playing a difirent character as much as you would with an entirely new actor. what they did with lotr was a pretty good idea, as much as the matrix btw. just give new actors a chance of making a blockbuster movie...

HorgothTheGreat
29-11-2007, 21:52
If such a thing were being made, I'd have to say we should give directing it over to Quentin Terintino(sp?).

Quentin
29-11-2007, 21:57
If such a thing were being made, I'd have to say we should give directing it over to Quentin Terintino(sp?).

Goodness me! Sorry, but I can't direct a movie right now, I still have to undercoat my Guardsmen! :D

Seriously, I'd like to see a Gaunts Ghost film. It'd be pretty cool. Unfortunately Games Workshop would never allow it, I'm betting.

HorgothTheGreat
29-11-2007, 22:41
Of course they wouldn't. I remember a while ago back on the original GW boards, someone was writing a 40k Movie Script, taking place mainly during the Horus Heresy. Don't know what ever happened to it though.

Latro_
29-11-2007, 23:20
some dodgy x list unknown and instead of a film it'd be adapted into some one ep show like the outer limits, with lasguns etc replaced with 'blaster rifles' and everyone called mitch or butch or some other mean us sounding name.

What the real question is who's gonna play GW staff members? in their stores since they're all leaving and GW stocks make even the above example a pipe dream.

Stella Cadente
30-11-2007, 14:25
NO FRELLING WAY!!!!!, hes an obnoxious stuck up twit who wouldn't know what a good movie was if it came up and bit him on his dumb backside.

No matter what, I would LOVE to see Patrick Stewart in a 40k movie, gaunts ghosts or not
Kiera knightly as a female member (cus shes ******* hot, especially with short hair)

Peter Jackson would be a good director, hes got a very good company behind him for special effects and CGI work, and follows books as closely as you can

Mkstein
30-11-2007, 17:59
Sean Bean as Gaunt. Seen him in Sharpe or LoTR? That's what I'd like. Infact, the guy that played Hagman in sharpe could do a nice Larkin methinks. Also that guy that played Henry Simmerson as Flense or the Bluebloods commander who's name I've forgotten. Hell, why not just have the entire Sharpe cast? Daragh o'malley as Corbec etc...

RavenMorpheus
30-11-2007, 18:01
It actually surprises me that we didn't have a thread like this in at least four months.

Err we have iirc, I did one about directors and actors in a 40k movie a couple of months ago in the Random Musings forum iirc.

Anyway I'd have John Cena playing an SM and Liv Tyler or Mila Jovovich playing a SoB...

Stahlgeist
30-11-2007, 18:10
huh. What about Clive Owen as Gaunt? He pulls off the brooding, speechifying hero pretty well.

EDIT: Milla Jovovich as Tona Criid, anyone?

Quentin
30-11-2007, 18:11
Sean Bean as Gaunt. Seen him in Sharpe or LoTR? That's what I'd like. Infact, the guy that played Hagman in sharpe could do a nice Larkin methinks. Also that guy that played Henry Simmerson as Flense or the Bluebloods commander who's name I've forgotten. Hell, why not just have the entire Sharpe cast? Daragh o'malley as Corbec etc...

Sharpe is very reminiscent of the Ghosts, indeed. Brilliant TV and book series.

However, even though I love Sean Bean, I would not want him to portray Gaunt. It would feel like some sort of cheap version of Sharpe - In Space!.

However, the only restriction I'd put on Gaunt would be he must be played by an English actor.

Also, no Kiera Knightly. I'd like to see a break away from the obligatory "female love interest" that just has to be present in every action adventure film for some unfathomable reason.

Besides. Kiera Knightly stated that she didn't want to participate in any more epic Hollywood productions after PoC.

Although she would look nice as a Sister of Battle. :evilgrin:

Stahlgeist
30-11-2007, 18:13
Kiera Knightly. Death Cult assassin. hmmmm.

Just thought of one - Derek Jacobi as Dorden.

Warpcrafter
30-11-2007, 18:20
huh. What about Clive Owen as Gaunt? He pulls off the brooding, speechifying hero pretty well.

I agree completely. However, I also think that instead of directing, Quentin Tarantino would be perfect as Larkin. If you need any space marines or Ogryns, just call up the WWE and they'll send over their steroid-boys.:skull:

Inquisitor Strife
30-11-2007, 18:33
YES a Gaunt movie would be great!!!!!

grizzly ruin
30-11-2007, 19:00
It actually surprises me that we didn't have a thread like this in at least four months. There used to be times this popped up in 40k General every two weeks. And this time, the questioning is much more precise. Really an interesting development in 40k General.

You win today's funny but true comment of the day award.

HorgothTheGreat
30-11-2007, 21:09
NO FRELLING WAY!!!!!, hes an obnoxious stuck up twit who wouldn't know what a good movie was if it came up and bit him on his dumb backside.

No matter what, I would LOVE to see Patrick Stewart in a 40k movie, gaunts ghosts or not
Kiera knightly as a female member (cus shes ******* hot, especially with short hair)

Peter Jackson would be a good director, hes got a very good company behind him for special effects and CGI work, and follows books as closely as you can

Lol, well whatever your opinion on Tarintino, Jackson would also make a fine director.

Frep
01-12-2007, 01:43
As much as I love Sean Bean and Sharpes (Both book and film), I just don't think he'd fit in right in the 40k universe. The only way to represent his bad assedness would to make him a marine, but then again marines aren't cool in the same way as the guard so its a moot point.

P.S. if anyone saw the new Sharpes movie last year "Sharpes Tiger," they'll realize that Sharpes is still pretty awesome.

Baneboss
01-12-2007, 01:44
I would like a movie based on Fifteen Hours.

Quentin
01-12-2007, 02:03
I would like a movie based on Fifteen Hours.

Excellent suggestion! The 902nd Vardan Riflemen could be Polish or Russian actors. And Larn would have to be played by some unknown talent hailing from Kansas. :D

Seriously, Fifteen Hours would also be a great movie. I think it would also attract a broader audience as a film also, if it were attempted.

Mkstein
01-12-2007, 14:51
Sharpe's tiger the movie? Don't you mean challenge - all 3 Indias thrown together and put after the Penisula?

On toic - I think 15 hours wouldbe better than a ghost movie, because what with all plot throwing out that happens in movies, a stand alone book seems better than a series.

I know everyone wll hate this idea, but Daniel Craig seems to fit the description of Gaunt in the Last Command, so would that be too bad. On the Sean Bean badassness, Rawne has always seemed a bit like that really. But there will never be a 40k movie that stands up to what we as gamers want - it'll be on cereals, and little plastic Gaunt to Leman Russ transformers will be avaidible. Shudder

Logarithm Udgaur
01-12-2007, 15:02
I am kind of surprised that no one mentioned the real life character that Corbec is based on, Chuck Norris.

AdmiralDick
01-12-2007, 15:19
actually the reason that GW have never made a movie, as they have stated in the past, is that although it would be cool to make one, what story would you use?

stories like Gaunts Ghosts are sadly far to parochial to make it to the big screen. if you don't already know about the 40k universe or a just a massive sci-fi fan, its all a bit meaningless. you need something that is so sweeping and massive that it engulfs everyone, regardless of their opinion of it.

hence the few professionally written scripts that GW have been asked to look at have all been about how one man saved the universe, and they have had to reject them out of hand because, by the very nature of the 40k universe, that can't happen. the best any Inquisitor can hope to do is save a planet or maybe a system. but a sector? a segmentum? the entire galaxy?

the only story that i could see with enough genuine grandure to propel it to the big screen and a wider audience is the Horus Heresy. but i don't think any of us genuinly want to see it set in stone like that.

as for actors for the Gaunts Ghost film, i have to say that there have been an aweful lot of stereotypical casting decisions made so far. i mean Keira Knightly? she can't even act, why would you put her in a film? if you want someone of the same calibre, what about Natalie Portman? did anyone see her in Darjeeling Limited? she was brilliant and better looking than ever. (and i'm not just suggesting her because she was in Star Wars or V for Vendetta, she is genuinely talented).

i don't really know the characters from the books, so i can't really suggest anyone specific, but i'm sure you guys can think outside the ITV drama box.

Richter Kless
01-12-2007, 17:13
I think it's personally a bit cheap to just say Keira Knightly is a bad actress. I think she did a wonderfull job in the Pirates trilogy (all actors really) and I would like to see some reasons behind why she would be a bad actor, other than: she played in a famous movie.

Personally, the Eisenhorn trilogy would be a far better source for a movie than the Ghosts. Dan Abnett has done quite a nice job to try and present the 40K universe to someone who doesn't have a clew. And it get gots everything a proper 40K movie needs:
-a handsome, stoic, male protoganist who won't flinch in the face of danger.
-handsome, female sidekicks.
-the old, wise-guy, stereotype.
-villains, very evil villains.
-battles, duels, gunfights.
-Space Marines.

Cosmocrat
01-12-2007, 17:22
IMHO, they would need an entirely new story. The nature of 40k is that there is always some new, unexplored area. Instead of frakking with the continuity, they should just explore a new area of 40k. That has the potential to actually engage and surprise us, rather than being the visual retelling of a familiar story.

The Anarchist
01-12-2007, 19:56
Got to say 15 hours or Esienhorn trillogy would be a far far better choice for a warhammer movie.
well for the movie i would deffinatly choose Jackson, just keep it away from Michel Bay, othewise it will be all EXPLOSION!!! no story.

Gaunt= Willem Dafoe (he looks the part from all the descriptions of Gaunt, and he is faintly creepy!)
Rawne= Viggo Mortensen
Corbec (depending when movie set)= Gerard Butler. played king Leonidies in 300.
Mkoll= Keanu Reaves
Dorden= Sean Connery
Mkenver= Danial Craig maybe?
Milo= an unknowen would be good, or maybe Hayden Christensen

Khornies & milk
01-12-2007, 20:14
Keira Knightly a 'bad Actor' - pish tosh!
And she plays an excellent badass - ever seen "Domino".
Natalie Portman could be the Callidus, to Keira's Death-Cult.

As for the rest, I agree that it would need to be an Epic expansive setting like the Horus Heresy. One or two 'name' actors to pique the Public's interest, with the rest relative unknowns. Peter Jackson as Director though, no contest there.

agger
01-12-2007, 21:27
I think it's personally a bit cheap to just say Keira Knightly is a bad actress. I think she did a wonderfull job in the Pirates trilogy (all actors really) and I would like to see some reasons behind why she would be a bad actor, other than: she played in a famous movie.

(I might have a hard time getting this point through, due to poor english, yet i'll try anyway :-))

I would say that she does what a lot of movie actors and actresses have done through the history of cinema: She apears on screen ... meaning that she "acts" less than she is being herself infront of a camera, doing what the script told her to do... And that she does rather well, having a beautiful face that easely reaches the audience etc. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, not at all!, some of my favorit actors did this their whole career, yet put her agianst someone like Nicole Kidman (yeah yeah, not a fair comparrision, but it's just an example) and I think you will see what i mean...

Natalie Portman could be the Callidus, to Keira's Death-Cult.

Now... do people truly see Keira as the perfect actor to play a bloodmaddened khorne wordshipper, raised to kill and only to kill?... I must admit that I don't ;)

Burning Star IV
01-12-2007, 21:33

I don't think he could do a 40k movie, and not just because I think he's the most overrated director of current times, either. It strays way too far from what he's into/ capable of. Unless one was just looking for a kitschy 40k flick, anyway.

TheMartyr451
01-12-2007, 21:33

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Quentin doesn't make good movies.

Patrick Stewart as Horus ftw. I thought of Kira Knightley or Milla Jovovich as Euphrati Keeler. Not sure about any of the other characters though.

And I agree completely with you on Peter Jackson.:)

ankara halla
01-12-2007, 21:48
Well, regarding Tarantino and Jackson.

Jackson is an entertainer, and a good one at that. Tarantino on the other hand is a storyteller, his movies are all about characters.

So I guess it depends whether one wants a rollercoaster with epic scenes or a storydriven character development flick. That's the choise between these two.

Personally, I'd rather see Gilliam or Besson take a shot at it.

Inquisitor Strife
01-12-2007, 22:06
"Straight Silver" would be another great film.Lots of CQB and trench battles.Plenty of action to keep audiances pleased.

Lt. Co Steel
01-12-2007, 23:10
True, but it dosent explain anything about whats happend to ghosts before, it would seem a little random from a normal persons point of view. If they ever made a GG film it would have to start of the books and there must be a film for every book (i would hate to see all the books crammed into one film, it would be.......terrible).

unclejimbo827
02-12-2007, 02:11

yeah, Clive Owen would be great.

Matt121
02-12-2007, 04:06
If there were to be a movie (probably never happen knowing GW) but it would have to have a large target audience to be commercially viable would it not? So maybe something CGI generated along the lines of the roughneck chronicles at some point? Not impossible if GW get their collective **** together but knowing them we'll be stuck with crap comics & more drivel from the 'black library' (though the ghosts series is an exception).
How would such a movie be introduced? would it give an overview of the imperiums expansion into the galaxy? Horus heresy? Focus on the fight against chaos? Xenos? I don't think it could be one movie even if it clocked in at 4hrs, the galaxy & the wars raging within make it just too big, I would vote for Imperial guard to be the main force featured as i cannot stand astartes, (maybe put them in for a background mention) That said the Gaunts ghosts would probably be best, lets face it, traitor general was a brilliant read!!! What about Eisenhorn? The trilogy was exceptionally well written i thought. If some sort of movie or series or whatever got the go ahead i just hope its not the last chancers, such badly written drivel should never have been allowed to be printed let alone sold... The author should stick to his day job. Graham McNeils book storm of iron was an excellent read too, got to speak to him about it when he was in Dublin a few years back & the research he put into it was actually very impressive, and a book where chaos prevails too (guess you can tell i favour the ruinous powers:evilgrin:), i think storm of iron would be a good one to put to film, anyone else got any ideas?

AgeOfEgos
02-12-2007, 04:28
the only story that i could see with enough genuine grandure to propel it to the big screen and a wider audience is the Horus Heresy.

3 Part film (Like LOTR)
James Cameron directs
Spielberg produces (Heavily involved)

Yeah......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/71/JayneCobb.jpg/250px-JayneCobb.jpg

I'll be in my bunk

GMillar
02-12-2007, 09:16
I can't think of anyone better than Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg. Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan and Minority Report. Tarantino would be horrible for a Ghosts movie. I saw a video of Kevin Smith talking about a Green Arrow movie, and he said that if he ever made a superhero movie, it would end up sucking because his kind of movies are just some dudes talking and shooting the ****. I think this applies to Tarantino as well - the whole movie would consist of Larkin and Rawne arguing over stupid random **** (foot massages, Madonna songs, etc). Peter Jackson would make something altogether unremarkable that wouldn't really **** anyone off, but wouldn't be that great of a film, just like LotR. He'd play it safe, and the acting would suck, but the props and graphics would be pretty good. Plus he'd cast Orlando Bloom as a Space Elf. Then again, Ridley Scott might too, although we can only hope that he learned from Kingdom of Heaven.

Gaunt - Clive Owens would be good, he can't be someone too old (Willem Dafoe). I'm thinking Matt Dillon could pull it off too, although he is pretty American.

Corbec - By the way, he's overweight, not sure if anyone noticed that. Muscular, yes, but he has a gut. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone, but he'd have to be big, hairy, and laid back.

Rawne - Uhh, Christian Bale? He does an ******* like no other. See "Shaft" or "The Prestige."

Larkin - I'm almost thinking William Macy, but he doesn't really have the look of a soldier. Steve Buscemi would do a good job as well.

The only major female character (in the first three books, anyway) is the Inquisitor. Since you guys all seem really intent on casting some females in a story that is almost completely male, I'm going to suggest Nicole Kidman, because she's hot, but she can be very sincere. Plus, the obvious choice, Cate Blanchett, just pisses me off.

Caffran - James Franco could do it.

Cry of the Wind
02-12-2007, 09:51
I'd side on the actors being a bunch of no names. It would really take away from the story if there are big names playing the leads. Even not so popular actors would still draw attention away from the story.

Anyway I'd rather see and Eisenhorn movie before any other 40k movie. It is broader is appeal and more interesting as a sci-fi movie IMHO. The Inquisition gets to do a lot cooler things than the Ghosts ever do.

The_Patriot
02-12-2007, 09:59
Out of left field I would say Tom Hanks or Ron Howard as a director. Both can do the epic story that 40k requires and can put an audience member right there in the thick of it to feel the story. That's something that Ridley lacks. Spielberg is an excellent choice for producer.

Who ever says Patrick Stewart is a good actor I have to say that he isn't. Every character he plays is identical to himself.

Cry of the Wind
02-12-2007, 10:03
Who ever says Patrick Stewart is a good actor I have to say that he isn't. Every character he plays is identical to himself.

But he's so cool that being himself is awesome anyways :D:p

The_Patriot
02-12-2007, 10:05
But he's so cool that being himself is awesome anyways :D:p

Not really since William Shatner, Avery Brooks, and every other male star is far more cooler then he is. Heck, Paul Ruebens is far more cooler then Patrick and that's saying something. :p

InquisitorMatticus
02-12-2007, 10:45
I dont care what story they make the movie about as long as it has Hulk Hogan in the background with a overheating plasma gun.

agger
02-12-2007, 11:23
I know this thread is only for fun speculation... but anyway...

The main problem i see with a 40k. movie of hollywood proportions, is that it would sort of become canon to any newbie that saw the film... suddenly half the played armies around the globe would be representing the armies shown in the film, and the planets and characters etc. would suddenly become overimportant in GW fluff in an effort to keep the bandwagon jumpers as customers after the movie went out of the cinemas...

I think fanmade films are a far more fitting medium for a universe so huge (and dark!) as the 40k. universe is... And even though fanfilms (as it is rigth now) might have crappy special effects etc., i suspect that that will change really fast over the coming years...

Alas... It seems Fanfilms are not happening either :(

(sorry for bad grammer etc.)

srgt. gak
02-12-2007, 14:10
just my opinon

Guant- clive owens
corbec-brendan gleeson( also known as big irish man from 28 days later)
rawne- eric bana (hoot from blackhawk down, also would make a good varl)

larkin- john malkovich( cuz larks is old and crazy,andHas anyone else seen john hunched over a desk witling plastic bullets in in the line of fire)

dorden-Jermey irons
curth- hmm all that comes to mind is.. John Travolta lol

and ridley scott for director

Logarithm Udgaur
02-12-2007, 14:34
I have to second William Defoe as Gaunt. Primarily because that is who I pictured when the book started to describe him.
Also I was confusing Corbec and Mkoll earlier. Norris should play Mkoll.
Christian Bale as Rawne would rock hard socks.
Steve Bushemi (sp?) would make a good Larkin, Malkavich also.
The Rock (or whatever he is calling himself nowadays) would make a decent Bragg.
Also, Traitor General was fluff in the purest sense of the word. I read like an episode of Hogan's Heros.

trigger
02-12-2007, 14:37
actually the reason that GW have never made a movie, as they have stated in the past, is that although it would be cool to make one, what story would you use?

Not intierly true some germans made a film called Damnatus,useing there own money and GW pulled it
there was also another film being made , it was like final fantacy graphics wise ,BLOODQUEST was the name and again it was pulled.

For some reason gw just dont want a film

Logarithm Udgaur
02-12-2007, 14:47
Are you *******' kidding me? BloodQuest (if it was based on the comic) would have been the coolest movie ever made (probably the most expensive also).

trigger
02-12-2007, 14:50
ther is still a web site for it , just google 40k movies although it hasn'tt been updated for 3 or so years.

perionyx
02-12-2007, 14:56
I'd be interested in something more along the lines of Pitch Black and afterwards if it did good a follow-up like the Chronicles of Riddick. I mean by this a lower budget film succeeding and thus something more hollywood-esch comming out later.

"Dead Sky, Black Sun" by graham Mcneill was an awesome tale, with the Exiled Uriel Ventris stranded on a hellish world in the eye of terror. Sci-fi horror all the way!

trigger
02-12-2007, 14:59
here is the bloodquest trailer for those interested http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEY630UaMg

Radioactive Bob
02-12-2007, 15:37
I'd love to see who plays the sisters of battle :P :)

Logarithm Udgaur
02-12-2007, 15:39
Rosie O'Donnel?

Stella Cadente
03-12-2007, 11:22
Keira Knightly a 'bad Actor' - pish tosh!
And she plays an excellent badass - ever seen "Domino".
although in that movie you spend most of your time looking at her gorgeous a.....umm....assets, yes, assets <.< >.>.

also finding a way to put William Shatner, and Mr T into a 40k movie would be great

Logarithm Udgaur
03-12-2007, 14:55
Mr T would make a great Catachan, but he is getting kinda old. The only way Shatner would do it is if he played the God-Emperor or other suitably over the top character were he could ham it up.

Stella Cadente
03-12-2007, 15:02
Mr T would make a great Catachan, but he is getting kinda old.
Mr T doesn't age you fool:D

The only way Shatner would do it is if he played the God-Emperor or other suitably over the top character were he could ham it up.
make him a guard general, or planetary governor, OR A commissar, that would be beyond the barriers of awesome

also do you think we could squeeze chuck norris in:p

Stahlgeist
03-12-2007, 17:00
just my opinon

Guant- clive owens
corbec-brendan gleeson( also known as big irish man from 28 days later)
rawne- eric bana (hoot from blackhawk down, also would make a good varl)

larkin- john malkovich( cuz larks is old and crazy,andHas anyone else seen john hunched over a desk witling plastic bullets in in the line of fire)

dorden-Jermey irons
curth- hmm all that comes to mind is.. John Travolta lol

and ridley scott for director

Nice. I'd like to suggest Christopher Eccleston as Larkin, though.

Rosie O'Donnel?

She's already signed on to play Nurgle ;)