PDA

View Full Version : Javelins or Blowpipes for Scouting Skinks?

Semi_Bunny
29-11-2007, 22:40
I'm hoping something like this hasnt been posted before, but my question is what is the better choice, javelins or blowpipes with scouting skinks? In my experiences (which don't number too many), I have been fielding my javelin skinks as screens and my blowpipe skinks as scouts. The problem with the blowpipes as scouts is if the forest they are deployed in is too far from their intended targets, they are forced to move and shoot (which they have to do on the first turn anyway), usually causing them to hit on 6s without multiple shots (+1 for movement, they are usually at long range as well). The problem I've had with javelins skinks as scouts is that to hit their target, they usually must move out of the forest to get to closer range, but this often puts them at the mercy of enemy shooting. I've seen opinions favoring both sides, as the javelin skinks are said to make better war machine hunters as scouts and the blowpipe scouts have longer range and more shots to deal with high toughness units and to wear down enemy infantry. The solution I was thinking of was simply to change it situationally, if a forest is deployed in a more offensive position (closer to the enemy war machines) which allowed the skinks to dodge the shooting units' line of sight if moving, then javelins would be the better choice. If the forests were closer to the middle or near an enemy monster deployment, then I would place my blowpipes there. I want to know what you think the better choice is and which in your experiences has proven to be more effective.

Semi_Bunny

Dead Man Walking
29-11-2007, 23:12
Go with blowpipes. If they are wasting time shooting skinks they are not shooting more expensive units. The only time you would need javelins is against other skinks.

Vsurma
29-11-2007, 23:32
I would ALWAYS go with blowpipes, if you can move close enough to throw javalins, you can move close enough to double shot, in which case the blowpipes are doing more damage!

Dwarf Runelord 45
20-12-2007, 00:20
Posion darts or spears well duh... posion.

TheMav80
20-12-2007, 00:24
I put blowpipes on all my scouting skinks. If I leave any for screens then I use Javs.

happy_doctor
20-12-2007, 11:23
I voted for javelins/shields, due to the warmachine hunting capabilities. A 5+ save (4+ if upgraded to quetzl) is nothing to be sniffed at when you have a toughness of 2!
Moreover, javelins are better at tackling fast cavalry and can move&shoot without penalty, thus making better march-blockers.
On another note, you can always upgrade 2 differently equipped units to scouts, then choose between them depending on terrain and opponent.

Wirewolf
20-12-2007, 11:49
you can always upgrade 2 differently equipped units to scouts, then choose between them depending on terrain and opponent.

That's how I field my skinks. You usually have enough space to hide one unit so you chose which to hide based on the situation.

JavSkinks have just as many shots on the first round (usually) plus the other non poisoned hits at strength they usually wound an extra model or two. As I run a quetzl army their 4+ AS is very handy as a speed bump or making a rear/flank with out giving up too many easy VPs. JSs also make superior warmaching hunters as shooting at WMs takes alot longer as the crew hides behind its machine.

PipeSkinksare awsome at camping out in a terain feature and controling a portion of the board. Buildings, forests, rivers, lakes....give the PSs a good field of fire while giving some protection from anti-skink units.

Axis
22-12-2007, 08:59
Javelins. No self-imposed penalties (move, range etc) is very good.

Selsaral
28-12-2007, 01:33
If you are shooting at skirmishers, there are many situations where you'd hit on 7s with two blowgun shots. Javelins are much better in that situation.

Caboose123
04-01-2008, 17:19
I do the same as Wirewolf with a quetzl army, a 4+ save is good and javelins are better with no penalties, also lets you run around units throwing javelins in (yes, i once did a southlands army...)
Blowpipes throw out a dizzying amount of shots (pun intended... if you blow alot you get dizzy...;)) if used carefully they could be much better, but oftentimes they end up hitting on 7s! whithout poison they are rather useless.

snyggejygge
04-01-2008, 20:45
Blowpipes is the best option in 90% of your games.