PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Munitorum Manual

ChaosMaster
29-11-2007, 23:39
I received my copy of the Imperial Munitorum Manual yesterday from Amazon.com, where it's currently selling for a bit more than $13, a nice discount from the list price of $20 US. Here's my review after perusing the volume a bit.

The Imperial Munitorum Manual is much like the Uplifting Primer book that is coming back into print shortly, although this one focuses more on the equipment of the Imperial Guard. Other than that, the style, layout and premise of the book is pretty much the same as that previously issued and entertaining work. If anything, my main criticism of the Munitorum Manual is that it is too much like the Uplifting Primer and therefore does not offer the reader much that is new in that regard. However, it is amusingly over-the-top in its harshness as was the Uplifting Primer and it is entertaining from that perspective. The list of punishable offenses regarding the treatment of equipment is so extensive, some of it seems to contradict well-established 40K background material. For example, putting kill markings on your rifle is listed as an infraction, yet Warhammer 40,000 stories, miniature imagery and artwork have prominently featured kill markings on Guardsmen's equipment for years. Perhaps the author was a bit stretched for material or perhaps it's a bit of intentional contradiction humorously showing the disconnect between the Imperial regulations and how the Imperial Guard actually operate in the field. In either case, the book is a bit of dark, fluffy fun for 40K fans.

If you enjoyed the Uplifting Primer and want more of the same or if don't own a copy of the previous book and are looking for some Imperial Guard related reading, this book will amuse and entertain Imperial Guard and 40K fans, but don't expect anything terribly ground-breaking or new, because the Uplifting Primer, shortly to be re-printed, already covered that ground.

vforvenator
30-11-2007, 15:12
Thanks for the info.

V

Hellebore
30-11-2007, 15:18
I think the fact that things we see commonly in 40k are illegal is the point.

It's been an established background fact that basilisks are often lowered to fire on nearby ground troops, and is a breach of regulations.

The picture of the guard and kasrkin from the IG codex has them with non standard issue gear.

I think much of the point is that the bearuocracy is full of hot air and the guard get on with the fighting no matter what they say.

Hellebore

Quentin
30-11-2007, 15:32
I think the fact that things we see commonly in 40k are illegal is the point.

It's been an established background fact that basilisks are often lowered to fire on nearby ground troops, and is a breach of regulations.

The picture of the guard and kasrkin from the IG codex has them with non standard issue gear.

I think much of the point is that the bearuocracy is full of hot air and the guard get on with the fighting no matter what they say.

Hellebore

I agree with Hellebore. Except the point about Basilisks. According to the unpublished section of the Manual concerning vehicles, it is sanctioned to use them as Assault guns.

Artillery and Vehicles (http://www.blacklibrary.com/pdf/mm1.pdf)

Warden
30-11-2007, 17:37
i Thought the hydra was the Vech that wasn't "allowed" to engage ground troops?