PDA

View Full Version : 40k and Fantasy. Warhammer clash?

LoneSniperSG
30-11-2007, 01:18
Okay, now, my well-meaning but rather unsuspecting grandmother heard tell of a guy who's the grandson of some lady she helps care for. This guy collects Fantasy, and was invited over to my house to see my collection. I play 40k, being the tank whore that I am. I'd feel quite rude if I turned the guy down, knowing how small a Warhammer community we have in my area.

Do 40k players and Fantasy players ever clash? Are there good mutual subjects to discuss? I suppose I could certainly give him paint/modeling tips to a limited extent.

catbarf
30-11-2007, 02:16
You're in a nerdy, non-mainstream hobby. Both of you. So any sort of clashing like you describe would be completely overridden by the sense of finding someone else who understands the same sort of stuff.

Besides, the two games are very similar. You shouldn't have any problem.

brother malthius
30-11-2007, 03:22
unless of course you're a hater, and he's a fanboy.
Or vice versa.

Grizzled
30-11-2007, 08:56
If you're stuck for conversation, ask him what army he would play if he tried 40k and why. Get him to ask you the reverse for Fantasy. There's no reason you should clash, you are both gamer nerds playing games that once had a combined background. Hey, there's something else to talk about, the transition from a shared background to a split one.

(Example: Even though Elves and Eldar are not in the same universe anymore, they still have the same gods. And the cursed mighty doom weapon of the High Elves is a splinter of Khaine's sword, just like the Avatar is a splinter of Khaine himself).

Have fun!

scarletsquig
30-11-2007, 12:31
I get a little irritated by people who always talk about how Fantasy is more tactical and better than 40k, especially if they're saying it to someone who likes 40k.

I agree with them, but don't see the point in stating it constantly. Seems like a deliberately anatagonistic thing to do.

As an aside, the most annoying non-GW wargamers are the ones that used to play GW games and now feel bitter and eager to attack 40k etc. as a "kiddies game". Having some minority loudmouth around who never shuts up about it doesn't exactly encourage people to consider the alternatives (which I play and want to encourage other people to play without some jackass laying into them for also liking 40k).

I don't really care what people play or don't play, so it's annoying when someone goes off on one, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

WarpWhisperer
30-11-2007, 12:47
Get him to ask you the reverse for Fantasy.

"Go on ask me.... Ask Me!...... I SAID ASK ME!!!":mad:

;)

Wyatt
30-11-2007, 16:22
If you collect CSM and he collects Chaos then... problem solved. :)

You could always work together and try to come up with a ruleset for using a Fantasy army against a 40k army. (I.e. your ship has crashed on a medieval-ish planet). Just don't post about it here as it has about the same acceptance as a female space marine. :)