PDA

View Full Version : Weird question...

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
14-04-2005, 18:45
Okay so since 7th grade (right now im in tenth) ive been a real lazy kid. I do minimum requirement in everything and i want to start working hard, but im just too lazy. I know this is a stupid question (one person i asked just told me to go out there and work hard, but its not that easy) but i was wondering how the heck do i get a good work ethic! I want to get into Georgetown, and im taking three college courses next year that will help me get in and my grades are mostly b's , even with my not turning in a lot of work and doing the minimum on most of the stuff i do. A lot of people envy me because i do no work and yet i get b's, but i really, really, really! want to get a's and i havent found anything that works. The only thing i do now is make sure that i do all my classwork because its 50% of my grade so if i get an A in that im most likely going to get an a in the course.

Unfortunately, even though i say im trying, im really not. In my chemistry class i have a 0.0%, which can be explained by me not turning in the three assignments that have been due so far. I find that i forget lots of things, like my homework, and stuff not related to school, like calling this girl who needed to talk to me but i didnt so she was really pissed. Ive got so many examples, and that worries me. I cant even paint my armies!!!

HELP!

Wez
14-04-2005, 18:53
No-ones going to make you do well. Only you can make yourself do well.

Either sacrifice some of your free-time and do well in school, or have lots of fun and don't do so well. It's up to you and no-one else can make you swing either way.

A start would be not visiting portent and instead use the time to do work.

Itís certainly not easy to spend your time working when you could be having fun, but at the end of the day, the choice is yours. One has long term benefits, while the other is the easy option and in the short-term youíll be happy.

-Wez

taer
14-04-2005, 18:59
Find a chick, who for every hour you spend working, she'll spend an hour "playing" with you. Or, some other such motivation.

Edit: I'm a tremendous supporter of positive reinforcement

The boyz
14-04-2005, 19:04
You just have to knuckle down and get on with it thats all. If you keep forgetting to do stuff, then just write it down. Thats all I do.

Nurgling Chieftain
14-04-2005, 19:06
I had (have?) a very similar problem. After decades of struggle, the only thing which ever majorly helped me was moving into a martial arts dojo. I imagine the military might work, too.

Also try moving very slowly and deliberately when it's time to do something you'd rather be lazy and not do - a sort of "low gear" approach where you concentrate only on the next manageable step rather than the annoyance of the whole task.

Brother Munro
14-04-2005, 19:26
Don't do anything fun until you've done the work. Or promise yourself a 'treat' when you've finished your work if you prefer the positive angle. Use a computer to constantly nag you on when your deadlines are and what stuff you have to do.

Or just embrace the lazyness.

Grimskull Gutslusher
14-04-2005, 21:12
Also try moving very slowly and deliberately when it's time to do something you'd rather be lazy and not do - a sort of "low gear" approach where you concentrate only on the next manageable step rather than the annoyance of the whole task.

I agree. I'm a chronic lazy git, and have used this approach to assignments with good effect. Break down those big-ass tasks into smaller ones, and just get on with that.

It's all in the head, so the last thing you want to do is psych yourself out by thinking that this assignment/whatever is gonna take ages to do. Or loads of work to do.

Rewards certainly work in theory also, but they don't always work for everyone. Especially if you're rewarding yourself - the temptation to say 'bugger it' is always there.

Archaon
14-04-2005, 22:15
Set aside regular time or schedule for work and do your best to keep it.

For example:

Come back from school, eat lunch and then take off for half or a full hour in which you can watch TV, play videogames or something similar you enjoy and which is not too demanding.

After this time has passed and you are relaxed go to work..make it a habit, do not deviate until you are fully accustomed to it and it doesn't bother you.

It will be very hard to learn discipline by yourself..i know this may sound strange from your viewpoint but talk to your parents if you are not able to keep this schedule and break it constantly.

I'm pretty sure your parents will be happy to help you until you can help yourself.

Kohhna
14-04-2005, 23:16
Jesus don't sweat it. I only knuckled down and became a good worker in my last year of college. In the short term a good tip would be to feign illness and take lots of time off school so you actually have time to get your assignments sorted out and read the sylabus for the courses you are doing so you can work out what you really actually need to do (not just what your lying teachers want to make you do).

Remeber Wising-up is part of life and you will get round to it eventually, if not you are a geneticly pre-determined flake, so its hardly your fault izzit?

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
14-04-2005, 23:38
Damn kohhna...thats so true...unfortunately my school has a policy...if youre absent for 10 days in a quarter you fail the course. Even if you broke your leg or something.

Thansk for the help everybody and i think ill try archaons idea...thats what i did in 6th grade and it slowly made me play more video games and forget my homework, so if i do the reverse it should help. And kohhna, thanks man, that really helps. It makes me not feel like somethings wrong with me and that ill just grow out of it.