PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt DE playing this weekend...Help!

whobetta
30-11-2007, 04:50
I am playing my friend this weekend (he will probably be HighElf). we are doing a specific battle (LAST STAND) I have a few ideas of how to go about making my build please give pointers and any helpful advice possible. Thanks again!

Lord:
HighBorn on Dragon: (enchanted shield, wand of kairadon, crown of black iron) Lance, Heavy Armor, SDC
=551

Heroes:
2x Lvl 2 Sorcs on Dark Steeds (1 scroll each. 1 DarkStarCloak and 1 Tome of Furion)
=187 + 182

920-characters

CORE:

25 Dark Elf Warriors w/ shields
=200
10 Corsairs
=100
5 Dark Riders w/ musician
=97

397-core tropps

SPECIAL:

10 Cold One Knights
=290
1 Cold One Chariot
=97

387-special

RARE:

4 IronGut Ogres (DOW)
=180
5 Heavy Cavalry (DOW)
=105

285-rare

=1989 TOTAL

I am toying with the idea of taking the HighBorn off the Dragon putting him in the Chariot then using the extra points to do a couple of things...

a)increase magic (another lvl 2 or lvl 1 Sorc)
b)add full command and standard of slaughter to COK's
c) add 2-4 more Irongut Ogres to unit
d)add another rank (5) of Heavy Cavalry
e)swap corsairs for RxB's
f)add another rank of Spearmen.
g)add a unit of Harpies to the mix

Now I can't do all of these and frankly can only do a couple (a lot of comprimise) could you help me evaluate if it would be worth while to take the HighBorn off the Dragon and strengthen the rest of the army or is the Dragon THAT GOOD?!?!

P.S. I don't have any more Dark Riders (can't get them cheap) don't have any more Chariots or RxB's so that wont really help.

Thanks again!

Makarion
30-11-2007, 05:54
Well, let's see...

25 warriors is a big, big block for elves, but I know that small infantry blocks are ineffective. Still, 20 perhaps? You'll likely be able to use the points...

10 corsairs, for instance, seems a bit of a desperate flanking unit. Maybe buf them up a little - say, to 20 as well? That way, you have a second unit worth mentioning.
Note, that most people since the revision seem to feel that regular warriors are preferable to corsairs. I like them still, but that's part nostalgia, I'll admit.

Got to love Dark Riders, although I'd prefer them with crossbows.

10 (!) Cold One Knights and no command? I'd drop them to 5 and add a mounted noble. You could consider giving them full command and a war banner as well, in that case.

Chariot isn't horrible, although 1 bad stupidity roll tends to mean a heap of tinder. You could consider scrapping it and form a second unit of Cold One Knights, or a second unit of Dark Riders.

Now the big thing, your rare choices. I can see that Dark Elves would hire people if they really need to, but in the name of fluffy bunnies, why twose two choices?
Then again, I'd much rather not use DoW in a Dark Elf army - and in this case, it really looks like a desperate measure. No theme in sight... Perhaps replace them with two or three RBTs?

Having no RBTs as a Dark Elf is a serious problem, since that means you're missing one of your two good units (the other being Dark Riders, in my opnion - all others are on the costly side, once you take point efficiency into account). You could "replace" them with some Ogre eadbelchers, though. Pick two units of 2 each as your DOW choices, and it looks a little better already.

Johan Chill
30-11-2007, 10:40
Lord:
HighBorn on Dragon: (enchanted shield, wand of kairadon, crown of black iron) Lance, Heavy Armor, SDC
=551

This is fine.

Heroes:
2x Lvl 2 Sorcs on Dark Steeds (1 scroll each. 1 DarkStarCloak and 1 Tome of Furion)
=187 + 182

While the Tome isn't bad, I'd strongly suggest getting the seal of ghrond instead. It's one of our "must have" items.

920-characters

CORE:

25 Dark Elf Warriors w/ shields
=200

This probably won't work out for you.
You are not gonna win with static res. Drop them to 20 and use the points elsewhere.

10 Corsairs
=100

Some people like 10, some like 12, some 15.
If you're really strapped for points this is fine. If you take the points saved from the spears and add them here you get another 2 and a champ or so.
Effectively giving your flankers more attacks.
Up to you on this one though.

5 Dark Riders w/ musician
=97

You need to double this at least and then add xbows.
Dark Riders are what win you games as a dark elf. Take 2-3 units always.

397-core tropps

SPECIAL:

10 Cold One Knights
=290

These will be ineffective, your paying alot of points for a second rank that does nothing and a front rank that doesn't hit hard enough.
Drop down to 6, get a full command and use the extra points on another DR units.
Then win.

1 Cold One Chariot
=97

No worries.

387-special

RARE:

4 IronGut Ogres (DOW)
=180
5 Heavy Cavalry (DOW)
=105

Sheesh, talk about killing the fluff. DE are a proud race who wouldn't hire mercs.
Slaves maybe, but then why would you outfit slaves in full heavy cavalry regalia?
Save your elves their dignity and their lives and take 2 RBT instead.
use the left over points for the Dark Riders.

285-rare

=1989 TOTAL

I am toying with the idea of taking the HighBorn off the Dragon putting him in the Chariot then using the extra points to do a couple of things...

a)increase magic (another lvl 2 or lvl 1 Sorc)
b)add full command and standard of slaughter to COK's
c) add 2-4 more Irongut Ogres to unit
d)add another rank (5) of Heavy Cavalry
e)swap corsairs for RxB's
f)add another rank of Spearmen.
g)add a unit of Harpies to the mix
f) More Dark Riders.

lol, seriously though

I know you don't have the models so consider this a critisism for future lists.
I know the models cn be hard to get and aren't cheap.
One option is to take parts from your warriors and simply convert glade riders.

From the list you've got here I'd say keep the Dragon, you need the manouverability.
Split the CoK into two units and add commands with the points spared where I mentioned.
If you don't wanna do that.
Add spearmen and form two units of 15 with them.
Harpies are good too.

The important thing to keep in mind on reflection of this list, is
more units = more options = greater diversity = greater chance of winning.

Hope that's helpfull. :)